Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pomp posted:

it's not so much that street fighter kills other games, and more than for some loving reason the a large chunk of the american scene only plays Capcom fighters. You're lucky if you have local Marvel (RIP) or Guilty Gear, god forbid one of those three aren't actually your favorite game. For a lot of people, not clicking with the current street fighter for whatever reason means being stuck online.

Like me and 20 other people in this country are going to play kof 14

Yeah but that disinterest lies in the hands of the people. Complaining does even less than it would normally do. I will say 90% of the American Guilty Gear scene consists of complaining that people don't play Guilty Gear.

The other 10% is Waifu chat.

Potemkin is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

dangerdoom volvo posted:

You don't get how fighting games work

please, explain

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Pomp posted:

it's not so much that street fighter kills other games, and more than for some loving reason the a large chunk of the american scene only plays Capcom fighters. You're lucky if you have local Marvel (RIP) or Guilty Gear, god forbid one of those three aren't actually your favorite game. For a lot of people, not clicking with the current street fighter for whatever reason means being stuck online.

I'd say we could move to Mexico where our kind are appreciated but i'm kinda burned out on KOF 97.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Enkmar posted:

I hope this is some wild hyperbole but if you're serious the game really wasn't released in a great technical state, and it's still not in a great state. 100% feel like I wasted my money ordering this poo poo, I would have been happy to have waited a year until they fixed it.

Get a refund and then wait it out a year to see if the game is up to your specific standard. Problem solved?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

People should try and enjoy things a little more, when it comes to video games they are playing, imo

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

teagone posted:

Get a refund and then wait it out a year to see if the game is up to your specific standard. Problem solved?

Sadly my very first session took me over the two hour limit. The second and third time I couldn't even play it because of technical issues

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If the campaign mode lets you beat up a car the game will be unimpeachably good

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

If the campaign mode lets you beat up a car the game will be unimpeachably good

The only arcade mode minigame I ever liked was Sean's basketball parry thing

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

man nurse posted:

People should try and enjoy things a little more, when it comes to video games they are playing, imo

No but don't you see, the game is fun, it's just not good ~ literally a thing posted in this thread.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Enkmar posted:

Sadly my very first session took me over the two hour limit. The second and third time I couldn't even play it because of technical issues

RIP

man nurse posted:

Buncha masochists in this thread, forcing themselves to play a game they despise and think is complete garbage but also think is fun. People are weird man. :psyduck:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Golem II posted:

I try practicing but the computer doesn't play like people do.

practice in ranked matchmaking. the matchmaker will automatically pair you with opponents on your skill level so you can practice fine using it.

Srice posted:

As someone who only got into the genre relatively recently I wanna know

Did people act like Street Fighter IV would erase literally all other fighting games forever back when it came out, as well?

yes, and also it did in effect do this. every other scene for every other game had its energy and playerbase siphoned up by people moving to sf4 because they felt they had to play the new sf game (not because they liked it) and because everyone was playing it etc

Zand fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 6, 2016

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
A big part of the reason why I'm mostly playing this lately is simply because of the sheer number of people playing. Even though the battle lounges are totally broken, I can still find a reasonably competent random European, or ask someone on my FL, pretty quickly.

Xrd is getting to the point where you need to ask IRC / Discord / FL to get any decent matches. Most randoms are honestly terrible and I don't like beating on them.

At one point I was trying to get matches of AC+r and any KoF game by just having them all open on my other monitor and waiting for a single person with a playable connection to join.

I'd play other games if there was anyone playing them, but it's just a chore finding people.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

A big part of the reason why I'm mostly playing this lately is simply because of the sheer number of people playing. Even though the battle lounges are totally broken, I can still find a reasonably competent random European, or ask someone on my FL, pretty quickly.

Xrd is getting to the point where you need to ask IRC / Discord / FL to get any decent matches. Most randoms are honestly terrible and I don't like beating on them.

At one point I was trying to get matches of AC+r and any KoF game by just having them all open on my other monitor and waiting for a single person with a playable connection to join.

I'd play other games if there was anyone playing them, but it's just a chore finding people.

No locals for you?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

teagone posted:

No locals for you?

I started going to one last month and played usf4, but now they're all switching to SFV and I only have a 360 / PC stick.

Not really interested in spending £70+ pound on a stick that I'll only be using once a fortnight.

The only other games for 360 are 3rd strike and super turbo, and I'm not really interested in going out to play 1 dude in ST, unless it's while I'm waiting for a match of sf4 / sf5.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Fellblade posted:

No but don't you see, the game is fun, it's just not good ~ literally a thing posted in this thread.

There's nothing wrong with that statement though.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
look, you haven't played enough jank rear end fighting games if you can't reconcile that fun and good are not necessarily the same thing

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Fellblade posted:

yeah, I posted that. what don't you get about this statement? have you never played fgs before this or something? direct competition between two players is inherently fun, at least for me. if the engine is snappy, responsive, and nuanced, it can be even more fun. but this same game could have glitches, balance issues, or design decisions that preclude it from ever coming close to being "good"

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

There's nothing wrong with that statement though.

We call it the Planetside 2 dilemma

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Enkmar posted:

We call it the Planetside 2 dilemma

did they ever fix the memory leak that they fixed and then reintroduced because it was still in the ps4 version when they merged branches or some poo poo

edit:do you still sometimes spawn a million feet in the air when you get out of a vehicle

edit:are scopes still misaligned

Pomp fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 6, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

please, explain

Pomp posted:

im not american but everywhere is america in this horrible new world

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Unless you're playing for money, play what you loving like.

I've been playing blaze blue and xrd instead of this game and somehow both actually have people playing, hell I've even had fun.

The only thing that changes is the number of people who are entirely poo poo just dramatically decreases as the games life goes on.

There is no perfect fighter and having your standards set at good = I have fun and few things in this experience of an overall game ruin that.

The issue is you guys are having a jaded old fighting gamer discussion in a thread full of people asking basic poo poo, because they just casually are jumping into fighters and don't understand at all what you're bitching about.
It's not common in life to enjoy things and hate them, and there's more of a problem in you if you can't connect that not everyone you speak to will have that magic number of years playing to understand FGC bad, vs gaming at large bad vs good.

I even get what you guys are saying and still find this poo poo agitating.

Edit- as for 'well only me and x people in x area play'
online sf5 the only thing that changes is the number of matches you have where you're entirely wiping the floor with some 12 year old kid who doesn't understand why sometimes his fireball turns into an srk.

If you go to locals, thats a different discussion and fair but you've gotta directly mention the population, not at all clear to dudes who aren't familiar with much besides sf.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 6, 2016

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Pomp posted:

did they ever fix the memory leak that they fixed and then reintroduced because it was still in the ps4 version when they merged branches or some poo poo

edit:do you still sometimes spawn a million feet in the air when you get out of a vehicle

edit:are scopes still misaligned

those 3 were fixed, the game has other problems now :negative:

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

SectumSempra posted:

Unless you're playing for money, play what you loving like.

I've been playing blaze blue and xrd instead of this game and somehow both actually have people playing, hell I've even had fun.

The only thing that changes is the number of people who are entirely poo poo just dramatically decreases as the games life goes on.

There is no perfect fighter and having your standards set at good = I have fun and few things in this experience of an overall game ruin that.

The issue is you guys are having a jaded old fighting gamer discussion in a thread full of people asking basic poo poo, because they just casually are jumping into fighters and don't understand at all what you're bitching about.
It's not common in life to enjoy things and hate them, and there's more of a problem in you if you can't connect that not everyone you speak to will have that magic number of years playing to understand FGC bad, vs gaming at large bad vs good.

I even get what you guys are saying and still find this poo poo agitating.

Edit- as for 'well only me and x people in x area play'
online sf5 the only thing that changes is the number of matches you have where you're entirely wiping the floor with some 12 year old kid who doesn't understand why sometimes his fireball turns into an srk.

why would you [read a thread] that you dont even like

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I do like the thread you kinda have to realize how terrible the last like 2 pages are.

Im here for ryu slapping his butt.
(i could mourn kof 13's online but lol with that netcode...)

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

SectumSempra posted:

I do like thread you kinda have to realize how terrible the last like 2 pages are.

Im here for ryu slapping his butt.

Maybe we can get some kind of synthesis between the folks who enjoy playing this game and the folks who are more than a bit disappointed at its state right now

I mean, we all want to play street fighter...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zand posted:

yes, and also it did in effect do this. every other scene for every other game had its energy and playerbase siphoned up by people moving to sf4 because they felt they had to play the new sf game (not because they liked it) and because everyone was playing it etc

It siphoned off players from other games, sure, but it's also credited with rejuvenating the FGC scene as a whole. Same with SFV; I can understand people not preferring it compared to other games, but if a ton of people find it fun and it expands the FGC even more, then good.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

why would you [read a thread] that you dont even like

We're trying to improve it by asking you to stop being a shitposter?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

oddly i'm in camp dissatisfied with the game, but not because of technical things, but mostly being shipped an unfinished game.

I'm cool with whats here from a technical point and will always play multiple games, but I really wish there were meat, 3 person lobbies and juri.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 6, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Like there's a lot of games I don't like like Assassins Creed cuz I feel their annual release schedule kinda encourages games to be :effort: cash ins every year but you don't see me going into their threads and making the same 3 complaints about it for months on end, I just don't buy them :shrug:

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Just to reiterate.

Fighting game community bad isn't the same bad like superman 64 and it's going over a lot of your heads.

Its like when a fighter is serviceable or fun but has stupid things that usually polarize gameplay toward that thing at a certain level of play and beyond.

Like DHC glitch in marvel 3 vanilla.

There's also just things not being as good as they could.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SectumSempra posted:

oddly i'm in camp dissatisfied with the game, but not because of technical things, but mostly being shipped an unfinished game.

I'm cool with whats here from a technical point and will always play multiple games, but I really wish there were meat, 3 person lobbies and juri.

I think what will be cool going forward is how it's possible to take a break for a few months and come back to new content

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It reminds me of the threads for MMOs. Or Borderlands 2

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Man I love Gief but I feel like I can never win against a patient keepaway Chun-Li, you can only flex through so many fireballs. Does Chun have some sort of weakness in this matchup that I'm too bad to see?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

im not american but everywhere is america in this horrible new world

i thought europe loved tekken or something

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Dracula Factory posted:

Man I love Gief but I feel like I can never win against a patient keepaway Chun-Li, you can only flex through so many fireballs. Does Chun have some sort of weakness in this matchup that I'm too bad to see?

Her wakeup isn't great? Sure, it's not Vega or Bison bad and yeah, you're fighting an uphill battle to get in, but once you get that knock down, things are looking pretty good for Zangief.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I'm still playing with this random richiro french guy's name.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Dracula Factory posted:

You win if you knock her down once. It's in Chun's favor 100% for sure, but it's not unwinnable. Grapplers struggle against characters with fireballs and long limbs.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
This thread never needed DMC gifs more than it does now.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
It really seems like the fastest way to get random matches is to just to just sit in the main menu with Fight Request on.

I also really wish you could select different people for Ranked and Casual match-ups. I don't mind having to set a character to avoid character select, but let me choose a different person for each mode.

Welp those are my requests Capcom, back to losing with Gief.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I'm still playing with this random richiro french guy's name.

Oh, it's Richiro from my town, the guy used to run a local fighting games association named La Dose. He used to play a pretty good Fei in USF4, it's weird seeing him play Gief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It would be cool if I could see which of the people on my favorites list are online. I hope that's in the a march 32nd update