Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gynovore posted:

I guess if you sneak absolutely all the time, or use power armor all the time, you might get away with 1 END. Other that these two extremes, I dare anyone to do Survival with 1 END.

Besides, like all Bethesda games, sneaking is weak until you get the "run and sneak" perk.

And power armor all the time isn't really viable in the early game with the cost of fusion cores. I'm sure you could beat the game on survival with 1 END if you wanted to prove a point or whatever, but it would be a dumb thing to do when you only need to put 2 special points into it to get a substantial boost to DT and HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Survival is not hard with 1 end.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Endurance has that perk that removes limb damage, and once you have that you won't know how you lived without it. Feels like you have bird bones otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Volkerball posted:

And power armor all the time isn't really viable in the early game with the cost of fusion cores. I'm sure you could beat the game on survival with 1 END if you wanted to prove a point or whatever, but it would be a dumb thing to do when you only need to put 2 special points into it to get a substantial boost to DT and HP.

I had like 40 fusion cores by the end of the game, they're super-common unless you're using them 24/7 (which you have no reason to.)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
The only hard thing about Survival with END 1 is that enemies throw grenades with pinpoint accuracy and perfect delay, and they'll instakill you.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I had like 40 fusion cores by the end of the game, they're super-common unless you're using them 24/7 (which you have no reason to.)

If you go with BoS you get like 30 just from quests and boxes in the Prydwen.

I've been using power armor constantly with my melee build and have 76 after 30 levels.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Crunkjuice posted:

This is the first fallout i've played

That's a drat fail

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

Volkerball posted:

Investing in END isn't just two special points, it is also however many perks you feel like investing in the tree. Also, Power armor is actually super easy to maintain throughout the early game if you don't mind being slightly game-y and gathering up the great many hand-placed cores in the northwest part of the map or if you take a few ranks of Scrounger.

But that is beside the point anyway, as it honestly is not that hard to just play tactically and avoid getting shot very often in this game. Taking a fat companion like Codsworth or Danse certainly helps, but as long as you have decent aim and don't charge headlong into combat with 7 guys, 1 END and some decent armor is all you really need.

I've done about 3 playthroughs with 1 END, and this time around I'm not investing all that heavily into stealth or power armor. As long as you have something to avoid drawn-out firefights, like explosives or good weapons like Overseer's Guardian, this game is not hard enough to justify putting points that could otherwise be usefully spent getting Luck/Agi/Int perks into flat HP/DT bonuses that don't scale very well into the late game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
End perks weren't that bad to get in my last play through, where I finished at lvl 170. YMMV!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You can make END somewhat moot by zipping around each fight with the unlimited supply of jet the game throws at you, but 1 is still pretty brutal.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

That's a drat fail

Ehh, i'm not really an RPG guy. I wouldn't have bought this except it was an xmas gift, and i ended up getting sucked in.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crunkjuice posted:

Ehh, i'm not really an RPG guy. I wouldn't have bought this except it was an xmas gift, and i ended up getting sucked in.

I think pretty much everyone would agree New Vegas is the best one by miles. It's like $15 for the goty edition on steam. Well worth the play.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

1 endurance is completely fine on normal. And is there any reason to play on harder difficulties? I haven't actually tried them since I assumed they just make enemies more bullet spongey in typical Bethesda style.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I think pretty much everyone would agree New Vegas is the best one by miles. It's like $15 for the goty edition on steam. Well worth the play.

Ehhhh. All the 3D fallouts have their issues. The one that contains the most rpg elements is 100% not the best one for someone who doesn't generally like rpgs.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Volkerball posted:

I can not agree with this statement. The quest lines become so muddled and confusing in New Vegas that it loses all cohesion and you're not really sure which quest is the actual main quest. Just because it take some ridiculous amount of hours to complete does not make it good. It makes it long and eventually boring.

Fallout 3 with DLC content is by far the superior of the two games.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The straight lines which point me to my destination are too confusing.

Although I agree if you don't like RPGs you'd probably not like New Vegas.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

ModeSix posted:

I can not agree with this statement. The quest lines become so muddled and confusing in New Vegas that it loses all cohesion and you're not really sure which quest is the actual main quest. Just because it take some ridiculous amount of hours to complete does not make it good. It makes it long and eventually boring.

This post is the reason why Bethesda will continue doing what it does with the franchise.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fallout: New Vegas: "you're not really sure which quest is the actual main quest"

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

ModeSix posted:

:shittypop:

New Vegas DLC is literally the best DLC in the history of video games.

Fallout 3 had The Pitt for obligatory moral dilemma, Point Lookout which was actually okay, and two godawful moneygrabs

e: though :10bux: says after Anchorage they pull some new VR poo poo in the Memory Lounge

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 6, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Anchorage was fun in the same way Honest Hearts was. In that you're so relieved to see colors other than brown, you enjoy it regardless of quality or depth.

Though HH has two bears high-fiving, my favourite wild wasteland easter egg.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Honest Hearts also has a drug induced vision quest! There was one in the newest Pillars Of Eternity expansion as well. Same guy in charge of development on both. The dude just loves vision quests.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

WAR FOOT posted:

:shittypop:

New Vegas DLC is literally the best DLC in the history of video games.

Fallout 3 had The Pitt for obligatory moral dilemma, Point Lookout which was actually okay, and two godawful moneygrabs

e: though :10bux: says after Anchorage they pull some new VR poo poo in the Memory Lounge

Honest Hearts was pretty, but sort of boring and had the most annoying NPC (Daniel). Dead Money is very...controversial and lots of people hate it (I don't, it's my favorite of the DLC). Old World Blues is great the first time, but becomes a chore to do any subsequent playthroughs. Lonesome Road is okay, but Ulysses is kind of a joke. Gun Runners Arsenal added some pretty cool things. Courier's Stash is sort of bad.

I'd say they're pretty great DLC, but "literally the best DLC in the history of video games" is pushing it. They are better than any DLC FO3 had to offer though, which is a shame since Bethesda is capable of putting out good to decent DLC like Dawnguard (maybe, some people hate that one too), Dragonborn, The Shivering Isles, and any of Morrowind's expansions.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Volkerball posted:

On what difficulty? Lifegiver is really, really nice to have on higher ones.

I've only gone up to hard, so YMMV. It is a bummer not being able to get Aqua Girl, but I haven't even gotten through the Mirelurk Cakes I got as a quest reward. Haven't had any need to dive beyond getting Kremvh's Tooth. The only thing I've had to worry about are explosives and traps, the latter gets a perk that renders them moot and the former provides an on screen warning to run away.

Wolfsheim posted:

You can make END somewhat moot by zipping around each fight with the unlimited supply of jet the game throws at you, but 1 is still pretty brutal.

It doesn't even have to be 1 for long. They clumped the LCK, END and AGI bobbleheads in the southeast corner if you feel like making an early trip.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I would've liked New Vegas' story better if it would have the overall DLC plot as the main story instead of lovely america and LARPing football players fighting over a lake.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

2house2fly posted:

Honest Hearts also has a drug induced vision quest! There was one in the newest Pillars Of Eternity expansion as well. Same guy in charge of development on both. The dude just loves vision quests.

As does point lookout, and the last 2 FarCry games. That poo poo isnt nearly as original as game designers seem to think it is.

Realistically, there isnt a particular difference in quality between 3 and NV. They are both good games with dogshit stories. NV has a bunch of minor mechanical tweaks over 3 (primarily the companion wheel and a rejigged skill system), but the main quest isnt even a little bit compelling. I've said it before and I'll day it again; If your main plot hook is going to be "Who run bartertown" then you'd better make sure that Bartertown looks like its worth running. The actual city of new vegas was a podunk town seperated into zones by horrible loading times, and you are supposed to care enough to decide who runs it. It was only about twice as big as Nocac, and at least Novac has a rollercoaster. They each have their strengths (NV follower quests and 3 environmental storytelling for example) and weaknesses (DLC wise I'd put honest hearts and dead money on a par with the Pitt and Mothership Zeta. Actually, put a gun to my head and I'm honestly not sure what was the worst DLC, Zeta or Dead Money).

So play whichever, they are both worth playing. If you are going to play them both then go with release order, because the minor QoL improvements in NV make 3 harder to go back to (much like going from GTA Vice city back to GTA3)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bholder posted:

I would've liked New Vegas' story better if it would have the overall DLC plot as the main story instead of lovely america and LARPing football players fighting over a lake.

yeah what a dumb rear end thing to fight a war over, natural resources

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Alain Post posted:

You'd think war would have changed by now, geez.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

SiKboy posted:

As does point lookout, and the last 2 FarCry games. That poo poo isnt nearly as original as game designers seem to think it is.

Realistically, there isnt a particular difference in quality between 3 and NV. They are both good games with dogshit stories. NV has a bunch of minor mechanical tweaks over 3 (primarily the companion wheel and a rejigged skill system), but the main quest isnt even a little bit compelling. I've said it before and I'll day it again; If your main plot hook is going to be "Who run bartertown" then you'd better make sure that Bartertown looks like its worth running. The actual city of new vegas was a podunk town seperated into zones by horrible loading times, and you are supposed to care enough to decide who runs it. It was only about twice as big as Nocac, and at least Novac has a rollercoaster. They each have their strengths (NV follower quests and 3 environmental storytelling for example) and weaknesses (DLC wise I'd put honest hearts and dead money on a par with the Pitt and Mothership Zeta. Actually, put a gun to my head and I'm honestly not sure what was the worst DLC, Zeta or Dead Money).

So play whichever, they are both worth playing. If you are going to play them both then go with release order, because the minor QoL improvements in NV make 3 harder to go back to (much like going from GTA Vice city back to GTA3)

Look at this wrong idiot :argh:

I can understand why people don't like FNV, but even on its most superficial level the story has way, way more depth than 3. I agree that the actual Strip is underwhelming (and a lot of this is due to technical issues) but keep in mind 3 has the same problem but worse; there's no reason at all to care about who runs the shithole that is the Capital Wasteland.

Just about the only compliment you can give 3 over NV is that you have to spend zero time thinking about who the good guys are so you're not distracted from looting the next dungeon, whereas you can spend a million posts talking about which faction is best for Vegas because there's enough ambiguity and nuance that there is no concrete right answer (the right answer is House). Granted that might make 3 much more suited to someone who doesn't like RPGs, admittedly, but the combat has aged so poorly in both games compared to 4 that you'd have to be pretty invested in story/choice/etc to enjoy it.

The bit about Zeta/Dead Money is absurd, however; even from a gameplay perspective and ignoring the fact that one has a tight plot with real characters and the other has nothing, a stealthy survival horror game with one-hit kills (and the ability to one-hit kill enemies) is still vastly superior to corridor after corridor of bullet sponge combat where the best strategy is to knock every alien down with the paralyzing palm perk then spend literally 5+ minutes slowly punching it to death. And then repeat about a hundred times.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

SiKboy posted:

It was only about twice as big as Nocac, and at least Novac has a rollercoaster.

I feel this best emphasizes the inherent wrongness of your opinion. Novac had the dinosaur, Primm had the coaster.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Alain Post posted:

I never realized it before but at its core F3 is everyone fighting over a smaller, worse version of the thing that every one in FNV is fighting over (the water purifier your dad builds v. Hoover Dam). I guess war really doesn't change :aaa:

Also kinda funny that in F3 a water purifer is this advanced technology that only the smartest people alive were able to build and requires amazing miracle tech (the GECK) to work, but in F4 anyone and everyone slaps one together from spare parts when they're not just using water pumps. F3 really is the worst.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Granted that might make 3 much more suited to someone who doesn't like RPGs, admittedly, but the combat has aged so poorly in both games compared to 4 that you'd have to be pretty invested in story/choice/etc to enjoy it.

Yeah, if you don't like RPGs then New Vegas isn't really worth mentioning in comparison to Fallout 4, and if you like 4's action gameplay specifically then Fallout 3 doesn't merit a recommendation either.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wolfsheim posted:

Look at this wrong idiot :argh:

I can understand why people don't like FNV, but even on its most superficial level the story has way, way more depth than 3. I agree that the actual Strip is underwhelming (and a lot of this is due to technical issues) but keep in mind 3 has the same problem but worse; there's no reason at all to care about who runs the shithole that is the Capital Wasteland.

Just about the only compliment you can give 3 over NV is that you have to spend zero time thinking about who the good guys are so you're not distracted from looting the next dungeon, whereas you can spend a million posts talking about which faction is best for Vegas because there's enough ambiguity and nuance that there is no concrete right answer (the right answer is House). Granted that might make 3 much more suited to someone who doesn't like RPGs, admittedly, but the combat has aged so poorly in both games compared to 4 that you'd have to be pretty invested in story/choice/etc to enjoy it.

The bit about Zeta/Dead Money is absurd, however; even from a gameplay perspective and ignoring the fact that one has a tight plot with real characters and the other has nothing, a stealthy survival horror game with one-hit kills (and the ability to one-hit kill enemies) is still vastly superior to corridor after corridor of bullet sponge combat where the best strategy is to knock every alien down with the paralyzing palm perk then spend literally 5+ minutes slowly punching it to death. And then repeat about a hundred times.

Thats the thing; 3 isnt about who runs the Capital Wasteland. At all. Its about a search for a parent, followed by (spoiler warning) hunt for revenge. Personal motivation. Vegas starts out with that, with the PC hunting the man who shot them and left them for dead. Unfortunately it then has you get revenge a couple of hours in and thats the plot over. The GAME continues for many hours, but honestly any actual motivation for the character died with Matthew Perry.

Making everyone lovely doesnt make them interesting. Combined with the fact vegas is underwhelming (and lets be fair, its not like the limitations of the engine were unknown before they started designing the game, so thats not an excuse. They could have built the plot around something the engine could actually handle but chose not to), the fact that everyone who wants it is worthless doesnt exaclty motivate me to help any of them (and Yes Man exists, but again why would I want to run Vegas?).

As for Zeta vs Dead Money, your milage will obviously vary, but both of them are longer than they need to be, geared extremely strongly towards particular builds, have enemies that lack variety and arent fun to fight... Zeta is by far the more bullet spongey, but at least that can be helped slightly with a high level and the right perks. No level or perk makes "hunt the radio before you are instakilled" a fun game to play.

Edit, this;

Filthy Casual posted:

I feel this best emphasizes the inherent wrongness of your opinion. Novac had the dinosaur, Primm had the coaster.

Is a fair point. I meant Primm.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Personal motivation has no place in an open world game. It just makes It sillier that you can ignore the story and wander around for 50 hours when apparently "I have to find my beloved dad!" is at the forefront of your mind the entire time.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

2house2fly posted:

Personal motivation has no place in an open world game. It just makes It sillier that you can ignore the story and wander around for 50 hours when apparently "I have to find my beloved dad!" is at the forefront of your mind the entire time.

That wandering is in fact 50 hours of looking for him. I have wiped out entire settlements and vaults and can 100% say he wasnt in them. Personal motivation has a place in any game thats wanting me to engage with the characters.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You find him by going to Megaton like the quest log says to, then going to the radio station like the quest log says to, then going to Rivet City, then going to the water filter and listening to an audiolog. You don't at any point have to wander around at random wondering where your beloved father is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SiKboy posted:

Thats the thing; 3 isnt about who runs the Capital Wasteland. At all. Its about a search for a parent, followed by (spoiler warning) hunt for revenge. Personal motivation. Vegas starts out with that, with the PC hunting the man who shot them and left them for dead. Unfortunately it then has you get revenge a couple of hours in and thats the plot over. The GAME continues for many hours, but honestly any actual motivation for the character died with Matthew Perry.

some motherfucker in a suit tried to have you killed over a poker chip, and you aren't curious to find out why?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

SiKboy posted:

My motivation in giving a poo poo about Liam Neeson dad ended as soon as I found him and he berated me for leaving the vault and the game forgot to give you a dialogue option that explains the only reason you left is that the Overseer was actively trying to kill you because of Liam Neeson dad.

quote:

Making everyone lovely doesnt make them interesting. Combined with the fact vegas is underwhelming (and lets be fair, its not like the limitations of the engine were unknown before they started designing the game, so thats not an excuse. They could have built the plot around something the engine could actually handle but chose not to), the fact that everyone who wants it is worthless doesnt exaclty motivate me to help any of them (and Yes Man exists, but again why would I want to run Vegas?).

They're realistically lovely, though; they have clear and understandable motivations, they have conflicting ideologies, and the different ways they play off of each other (and the way you can play them off of each other) is pretty extensive. Even Caesar's brutal methods have some depth and reasoning to them, even if they are still totally abhorrent. In 3 you have the good knights fighting the black knights, and the black knights want to kill everyone ever.

And yeah, why would you want to control one of the largest sources of clean water and electricity that still exists, an army of self-healing murderbots or a city of clean, comfortable luxury hotels in a world where most people are living in scrap-metal shacks and sleeping on bare mattresses?

quote:

As for Zeta vs Dead Money, your milage will obviously vary, but both of them are longer than they need to be, geared extremely strongly towards particular builds, have enemies that lack variety and arent fun to fight... Zeta is by far the more bullet spongey, but at least that can be helped slightly with a high level and the right perks. No level or perk makes "hunt the radio before you are instakilled" a fun game to play.

There is no build in 3 that makes the Zeta enemies take less than five minutes each to kill, unless that build is 'turn the difficulty down to Very Easy just to get through this poo poo.' Point Lookout actually has a similar bullet sponginess problem, but the plot and exploration is the best in all of 3, so the effect is somewhat diminished.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 6, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

"Personal motivation" is so stupid, here's how stupid it is: people would basically consider New Vegas's story to be vastly improved if either Mr House or Caesar was renamed to "dad"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Alain Post posted:

some motherfucker in a suit tried to have you killed over a poker chip, and you aren't curious to find out why?

In a world where I commonly murder entire groups of people because I want the hat one of them is wearing or because they might have some bottlecaps, poker-chip related muggings dont seem that unusual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

2house2fly posted:

"Personal motivation" is so stupid, here's how stupid it is: people would basically consider New Vegas's story to be vastly improved if either Mr House or Caesar was renamed to "dad"

They actually did this in Fallout 4. You meet the leader of the institute and his name is Dad. Sure enough it went down a storm.

• Locked thread