Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

cash crab posted:

There's nothing I love more than the nondescript bottle of liquid labelled "DRUGS"

You don't keep several of those in your house? It's the best for storing all drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Once again, foiled by my insistence on keeping all my drugs in pill form. Speaking of which:

Another addition from a guy I added on Facebook after I met him at my friend's party and assumed he was friends with my friend. He was not. He posts/shares some stuff that is questionable, this one from "Choice and Truth".

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

cash crab posted:

Once again, foiled by my insistence on keeping all my drugs in pill form. Speaking of which:

Another addition from a guy I added on Facebook after I met him at my friend's party and assumed he was friends with my friend. He was not. He posts/shares some stuff that is questionable, this one from "Choice and Truth".

Googling 'depression mushrooms cure' immediately brings up a bunch of news articles from legitimate sites talking about how scientists are studying psilocybin as a possible aid for people who don't respond to SSRI's. So I don't know, crazy hippie person. Maybe medicine doesn't want to just start flinging psychedelics at people who already have unstable mental states without sufficient research and testing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Public page.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

Public page.

There's no way that first commentator is serious but I'm sure like half of the upvotes for it thought she was. She looks like a punk rock clown and her name is Ruth Bourgeouis

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Mar 6, 2016

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

cash crab posted:

A lot of Canadians tend to do this thing where they go "I'm Irish!" whenever they want to dogwhistle about black people being pussies about slavery or something. This girl does this a lot, and by the way, she is not Irish, but man, does she not trust black people who ask for things.

My cousin posted this one, as someone mentioned, it's really stupid because leprechauns are mythological creatures, not stereotypes about Irish people (unless you're loving five). It's like bragging that Canadians aren't offended by Sasquatch references.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

1stGear posted:

Maybe medicine doesn't want to just start flinging psychedelics at people who already have unstable mental states without sufficient research and testing.

:byodame: But natural things don't have any side effects!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

And smoking synthetic marijuana is okay because... uhhh... the won't let us smoke the real stuff! (Actual line I've heard from someone)

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
The desire to smoke something is why American cops keep killing black people.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Perry Normal posted:

My cousin posted this one, as someone mentioned, it's really stupid because leprechauns are mythological creatures, not stereotypes about Irish people (unless you're loving five). It's like bragging that Canadians aren't offended by Sasquatch references.

Also Irish people get offended by stereotypes just as much as anyone else.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Clochette posted:

NO IRISH NEED APPLY signs were possibly a thing 100 years ago
Related to this: Richard Jensen is a history professor and author of the 2002 book "No Irish Need Apply: A Myth of Victimization", which argues that the signs were more or less mythical and anti-Irish sentiment was very rare but played up out of a pathological need by the Irish to feel victimized.

Last year a 14 year-old high school girl did some independent research, found a whole bunch of evidence that the signs were reasonably common, and got a paper published about it. When an Irish news site put up a brief article about this, Richard Jensen showed up in the comments section to tell everyone how he was totally right and the girl, Rebecca Fried (to be commended for her youthful spirit, to be sure!), is wrong and her research is faulty. Then she also shows up and very politely corrects him (a little way down, both posting under their real names): http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/High-school-student-disproves-professors-theory-that-No-Irish-Need-Apply-signs-never-existed.html

There's also a Daily Beast write-up that includes this gem:

quote:

This is, after all, how the abstract in Jensen’s paper ends:

“Some Americans feared the Irish because of their religion, their use of violence, and their threat to democratic elections. By the Civil War these fears had subsided and there were no efforts to exclude Irish immigrants. The Irish worked in gangs in job sites they could control by force. The NINA slogan told them they had to stick together against the Protestant Enemy, in terms of jobs and politics. The NINA myth justified physical assaults, and persisted because it aided ethnic solidarity. After 1940 the solidarity faded away, yet NINA remained as a powerful memory.”

Miller says he wrote to Jensen at one point to contest it.

“Jensen’s email response to my criticisms was that they were to be expected because I was an Irish-American and a Catholic,” says Miller.

“In fact, as I responded to him, I am neither.”

Apraxin has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Mar 6, 2016

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

There's no way that first commentator is serious but I'm sure like half of the upvotes for it thought she was. She looks like a punk rock clown and her name is Ruth Bourgeouis

Bourgeouis is an actual surname.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Irish were treated like poo poo and denying that is like denying the holocaust

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also Irish people get offended by stereotypes just as much as anyone else.

I'm sure all Irish people absolutely love being called perpetual drunks. My Irish friend actually really hates some of the "jokes" some people have said to her since moving here. Most have to do with alcoholism, potatoes, or her 'hair down there'. You know, really kind and classy things :ughh:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

oldpainless posted:

The Irish were treated like poo poo and denying that is like denying the holocaust

Don't steal LoBs gimmick ITT thanks.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oldpainless posted:

i learnt this in the best game about racism, bioshock infinite

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

oldpainless posted:

Everything that I know about Ireland comes from reading "Angela's Ashes". :catstare:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The Irish were treated like poo poo, but at the end of the day they were still white. As far as I know, they were more like indentured servants. Still horrible, but not exactly the same as the targeted enslavement of an entire race.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I thought that, for a long time, the Irish specifically weren't considered white. Same with Italians and Slavs. "Whiteness" is a pretty fluid concept that doesn't always line up with skin colour.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

"Whiteness" is a pretty fluid concept that doesn't always line up with skin colour.

Don't tell Tumblr this.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I thought that, for a long time, the Irish specifically weren't considered white. Same with Italians and Slavs. "Whiteness" is a pretty fluid concept that doesn't always line up with skin colour.

I'm mostly talking about what it means to be white today. The irish, for the most part, were eventually considered white.

People who bring up Irish slavery are generally just trying to make themselves feel like special snowflakes for being part irish while downplaying the legitimate racism taking place today.

Elderbean has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Mar 6, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Elderbean posted:

I'm mostly talking about what it means to be white today. The irish, for the most part, were eventually considered white.

People who bring up Irish slavery are generally just trying to make themselves feel like special snowflakes for being part irish while downplaying the legitimate racism taking place today.

I agree, it's abhorrent how much racism the Irish still face today.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Stoatbringer posted:

Don't tell Tumblr this.

This joke has never been, and will never be, funny.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stoatbringer posted:

Don't tell Tumblr this.

Hilarious meme friend, have an upvote

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

This joke has never been, and will never be, funny.

no they will not posted:

All jokes have two main elements; the "setup" [in which a premise is established and the reader's expectations are set] and the "punchline" [the word "triggered"]

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

The article linked wasn't about the "indentured servants were slaves" thing, which I agree is nonsense. Indentured servitude may not have been a lot of fun (and may have left some indentured servants vulnerable to exploitation) but it wasn't slavery.

The article was about the existence of "Help Wanted: No Irish Need Apply" signs and advertisements. (No point crossing the streams there, it just creates confusion.) I find the whole thing fascinating because I'm an old fart and I remember getting schooled on anti-Irish sentiment and discrimination in the U.S. back when I was in high school. Jensens's paper and other people's random "the Irish were never discriminated against and those NINA signs never existed" stuff on the internet the past couple of years, apparently mostly inspired by Jensen's original paper, were questionable to me, but I'm no scholar, so I could make no argument against it.

I'd love to read both Jensen's and Fried's papers in their entirety, but of course they're not available.

(Edit for clarity. And grammar, damnit.)

Filox has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Mar 6, 2016

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Can't enjoy cookies without some casual racism

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm going to presume the spelling mistake isn't on purpose, nor part of some gag I don't get.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

Can't enjoy cookies without some casual racism

??

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Filox posted:

The article linked wasn't about the "indentured servants were slaves" thing, which I agree is nonsense. Indentured servitude may not have been a lot of fun (and may have left some indentured servants vulnerable to exploitation) but it wasn't slavery.

The article was about the existence of "Help Wanted: No Irish Need Apply" signs and advertisements. (No point crossing the streams there, it just creates confusion.) I find the whole thing fascinating because I'm an old fart and I remember getting schooled on anti-Irish sentiment and discrimination in the U.S. back when I was in high school. Jensens's paper and other people's random "the Irish were never discriminated against and those NINA signs never existed" stuff on the internet the past couple of years, apparently mostly inspired by Jensen's original paper, were questionable to me, but I'm no scholar, so I could make no argument against it.

I'd love to read both Jensen's and Fried's papers in their entirety, but of course they're not available.

(Edit for clarity. And grammar, damnit.)

This article reproduces one of the ads Ms. Fried found and quotes others. Jensen is so wrongity wrong he could be no wronger.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

This article reproduces one of the ads Ms. Fried found and quotes others. Jensen is so wrongity wrong he could be no wronger.

Yeah, that quickly became apparent and made more sense to me than the That poo poo Never Happened that's been going around the past few years.

Here's another good one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Granted, this is anecdotal, but my great grandmother (I forget if she was a first or second generation) wasn't shy about telling us that she had to work under an assumed name because of how rabid the anti-Irish sentiment of the time was.

And the cycle of racism/non-Anglo Saxon classism basically went "man, gently caress you, we're the real whites > wait, gently caress, the darkies minorities are starting to outnumber us > you [Italians/Irish/Poles/etc.] have always been white!"

Regalingualius has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Mar 6, 2016

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Filox posted:

Yeah, that quickly became apparent and made more sense to me than the That poo poo Never Happened that's been going around the past few years.

Here's another good one.

I thought the original researcher was trying to prove that Irish immigrants didn't suffer as much as other races/nationalities, then I got to this part.

quote:

Jensen argued that other anti-immigrant groups were similarly unsuccessful. “Likewise there were few visible effects of the APA movement of the 1890s, or the KKK in the 1920s.” Of course, the KKK secured the passage of the most restrictive laws against immigration in our country’s history in 1924, but Jensen ignores that fact.

So turns out he may just be a bigot.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Their name depends on the region they are sold in and the manufacturer of the cookie.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Just bought a box of samoas down here in Hawaii. I don't think the name is an issue with any of my Samoan friends. Maybe we just don't see the issue because privilege...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Eponine posted:

Their name depends on the region they are sold in and the manufacturer of the cookie.

I was wondering what casual racism he was talking about unless just because a word sounds similar to "Samoan" it's racist somehow

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I asked my friend who is a Caramel DeLite and he doesn't have a problem with it

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Eponine posted:

Here's a handy guide.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I care very much about the name of cookies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Someone on another forum asked about this and some people more educated than myself answered. "Whiteness" is a very modern concept in terms of human history, dating back to the 19th century in its current form as an effort to better "otherize" blacks, Asians, and the various tribal sorts being conquered at the time. Before that, most areas of the world (especially Europe) were a good deal more homogenous in the modern sense of the term. A black person walking into a 14th century English village would, as one person called it, be reacted to like a two-headed sheep. Outside of major trading ports, non-white individuals in much of Europe would have been rare or impossible to find.

This doesn't mean that racism didn't exist, of course. On the contrary, racial and ethnic divides were even deeper than they are now. Differences that would be considered minor quirks today (like slight variations in skin tone like the Italians, certain hair colors like red or blonde, and customs like dress and cuisine) could out someone as part of a different ethnic group. The strife that exists today existed back then, but between different subsets of "white" people for the most part. This kind of racism was merely transferred onto African and islander society when they met.

As the centuries went on, efforts to justify the abuse of primitive tribes and African civilizations led to the development of new racial theories, like the use of phrenology to justify the supposed genetic inferiority of blacks. It became convenient for those in power to try and unite people of European descent as the truly evolved apex of humanity.

That said, this ethnic strife still exists. Just look at the Balkans.