Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Wandering Immortals updates

I estimate a little over half of the total max settler population are now Immortals assigned to trade routes. At some point I hit a critical number/mass and I went from encountering single-file caravans of 2-3 provisoners to small squads of 5-8+ provisioners. Only 1 out of every 5 brahmin seem to be able to find and travel beside their provisioner anymore, the rest are usually scattered in a wide radius, half the time they'll be milling about aimlessly, the rest of the time they'll be trying to sprint around the world geometry to rejoin their provisioner. There are definite hotspots on the map now, too, where I can be guaranteed to find at least a couple provisioners passing through/near the area at any time.

Just last night I found that one of them had spawned atop a piece of broken highway inaccessible without a jet pack. Part of me suspects that this is the first pebble of a coming avalanche of cascading AI shenanigans, so of course now I'm even more excited to reach my goal of running the maximum number of trade routes possible. Also, I've decided County Crossing is where I'm gonna try making my power armor squad. I'm equipping everyone from there a gatling laser and full PA if possible (except for the one I sent out with a gatling laser and Tuxedo)

also, obvious note but worth mentioning, but Nuka Grenades are endlessly entertaining on provisioners.

edit for more content:

I was mashing the A button to rent a room and ended up sitting mid-convo

:stonk: MARCY WHY

For the last time, you're not power armor and I'm not gonna get inside you

And finally, the Ziggurat I built at Nordhagen

Aerial view:

I know you posted this before but how do you get your provisioners in power ammo? And if you give them different guns do they require ammo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
p

DAS Super! posted:

I know you posted this before but how do you get your provisioners in power ammo? And if you give them different guns do they require ammo?

Power armor: I haven't successfully gotten a settler in power armor on purpose, yet. The plan I'm currently trying out is to leave a bunch of suits with cores around where my settlers typically hang out, then kite enemies into the settlement and hope they jump into the PA. So far, nothing, but I'll let you guys know if anything happens.

Settlers & guns: With a few exceptions, settlers/provisioners will have infinite ammo for any weapon you give them, as long as they have at least enough ammo for a single VATS shot. For all non-automatic weapons, this means 1 round. For automatic weapons, this generally means 3 (more for the flamer/minigun, but I don't know how many rounds those use so I just give em anywhere from a dozen to 30). This also applies to any grenade you give them--1 grenade = infinite supply. Don't forget to actually equip them on your settlers after transferring them over.

Exceptions: The missile launcher and Fat Man are exceptions to the infinite ammo thing, which is a shame, because I REALLY wanted to put together a squad of 20-30 Fat Man-wielding Immortals. I do, however, give out spare missile launchers as secondary unequipped weapons--since the NPC AI will pick up ammo and weapons on their own, they'll be able to shoot any missiles they do find.

Unknown: No clue how settler ammo consumption works yet with the Railway Rifle, Syringer, Junk Jet, and Broadsider. I'll need to play around and see. Also, I just started equipping provisioners with gatling lasers (I keep going back to the prydwyn to buy more), and while I do know you need to give them a fusion core so they can fire it, I don't know if they use the fusion core up. I'm gonna follow one of them around and check their inventory pre/post battles to see if the core gets drained. My hypothesis is that it doesn't.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 1, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Weird issues with Sanctuary's population - it's refusing to grow past a certain point.

And no, that point isn't 10 + my charisma, it's 7. I put up my beacon, recruited one or two generic settlers, and 20 hours later I still have the same amount of settlers. Beacon's on and working, resources are more than enough to support a large population, happiness is in the 60's but rising. Am I missing some other variable that's preventing my settlement from growing? I've put a lot of work into Sanctuary for this playthrough and don't really feel like abandoning it.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Deified Data posted:

Weird issues with Sanctuary's population - it's refusing to grow past a certain point.

And no, that point isn't 10 + my charisma, it's 7. I put up my beacon, recruited one or two generic settlers, and 20 hours later I still have the same amount of settlers. Beacon's on and working, resources are more than enough to support a large population, happiness is in the 60's but rising. Am I missing some other variable that's preventing my settlement from growing? I've put a lot of work into Sanctuary for this playthrough and don't really feel like abandoning it.

Delete or pick up any Tvs or radios that started placed there. This resets their happiness formula, which is buggy with pre placed ones.
Make sure all settlers there are busy, too many idle caps it. This includes followers and lazy drug users. Momma alone won't cap it though.
Prestons Pals might be a little buggy, my sanctuary took awhile to take off, again let me emphasize assigning everyone, or reassigning them. I've had games where Sanctuary took awhile to get going.

Repopulate. The gulags always need more, you can move people to Sanctuary if folks are not coming. No point losing a fun game.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Alright, I'll delete all the TVs and make sure everyone's got a job. Does it matter if they do their job? Preston's gang are notoriously lazy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm pretty excited about the Survival mode changes but not enough to restart the game and have to remake all my weapons/settlements/armour and honestly the story isn't compelling enough. I do like that there's a use for sleep but quicksaving is still something that shouldn't be turned off when the hunger/thirst/sleep mechanics are already being added.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If there's an achievement for survival mode, Ill rush the game and get it. If you just play with out idiot savant and rush the game. Shouldn't take that long. Bypassing all the side quests will cut down on back travel.

The real achievement is if they play test it first.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Much like the rest of the game, I'm excited for survival mode because then the framework will be in place for modders to build on.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

If there's an achievement for survival mode, Ill rush the game and get it. If you just play with out idiot savant and rush the game. Shouldn't take that long. Bypassing all the side quests will cut down on back travel.

The real achievement is if they play test it first.

They said in their official announcement that they will release it in the beta patch for PC and use feedback to fine tune it until full release, then release on xbox, then ps4 a month later.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I played Survival mode for about 2 hours in New Vegas and it was the least fun thing. I get its fun for some people, but not me.

I was hoping for some more info on the GECK so I can stop using Nexus for mods.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm hoping their approach to sleep/hunger/thirst is more than "here's more bars for you to manage"

Based on all the great gameplay improvements in this game though I have faith they'll do something more fun and interesting with it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

twistedmentat posted:

I played Survival mode for about 2 hours in New Vegas and it was the least fun thing. I get its fun for some people, but not me.

In NV it was called hardcore. You just had to eat food and drink to heal, neither were hard to keep up. Ammo weight was easily done with by going melee and no way gimped you because melee didn't hit like a wet sock in NV.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh man

I kinda hope they go all out and include permadeath in survival

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

If there's an achievement for survival mode
gently caress that I played on Survival from the start. I'll just unlock it if I really care that much (and after DX:HR Director's Cut screwed me out of Foxiest, probably not).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

The problem with NV hardcore was that it added tedium in addition to the rather bland and/or tedious combat.

Survival in 4 seems to aim at adding challenge to enjoyable gameplay.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Unknown: No clue how settler ammo consumption works yet with the Railway Rifle, Syringer, Junk Jet, and Broadsider. I'll need to play around and see. Also, I just started equipping provisioners with gatling lasers (I keep going back to the prydwyn to buy more), and while I do know you need to give them a fusion core so they can fire it, I don't know if they use the fusion core up. I'm gonna follow one of them around and check their inventory pre/post battles to see if the core gets drained. My hypothesis is that it doesn't.

Very interested in the findings on this. I have been hoarding Railway rifles for use in settlement defense. Having the broadsider thumping away in a settlement defense would be gold.

Also, from your provisioner observations, have you been able to determine the preferred routes they take? I only ask because I've seen my Greygarden to Starlight provisioner end up out by Covenant before. I know because it is the only Mr. Handy leading a brahmin out in the wastes.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I'm sure many people have seen this before, but I got this from atomiks and found it really helpful so I thought I'd share. Red lines are the point in each quest line where you gently caress up your ability to complete the other quests. One question I do have is whether I'm really free to complete "The Molecular Level" quest, and still continue to play the game and work on other quests/trophies after that? It's been awhile, but I remember backing myself into some sort of corner in Fallout 3 by completing the main quest line too early.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Blakkout posted:

One question I do have is whether I'm really free to complete "The Molecular Level" quest, and still continue to play the game and work on other quests/trophies after that?

You are.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Has anyone else seen more settlement happiness glitches since the last update? I've had Sanctuary Hills almost overdeveloped, and the happiness plummeted into the 50s from having stayed stable in the high 80s for no apparent reason. I removed all the TVs and jukeboxes and it seems to have stabilized, but other settlements look a little wonky, too. The bastards at Abernathy Farm seem to frequently get their nose out of joint, for instance. No TVs or anything there, but I did have Cait hanging around there being surly and sent her away, so hopefully things will improve.

For the record, I have so many turrets around Sanctuary that the defense is in excess of 300, and well over 100 in Abernathy Farm. Most of my settlements are set up so that any intruders are mowed down by turrets within seconds, which at least makes the settlement defense quests generally quick and easy. Had two Deathclaws spawn at Somerville Place, one of them Legendary, and the turrets killed them almost before I got a shot off.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Blakkout posted:

I'm sure many people have seen this before, but I got this from atomiks and found it really helpful so I thought I'd share. Red lines are the point in each quest line where you gently caress up your ability to complete the other quests. One question I do have is whether I'm really free to complete "The Molecular Level" quest, and still continue to play the game and work on other quests/trophies after that? It's been awhile, but I remember backing myself into some sort of corner in Fallout 3 by completing the main quest line too early.

This is amazing, I had not seen it. Thank you.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Finally got a PS4 so I could finally get Fallout 4, my thoughts so far is the dialogue system is so clunky and that I've played New Vegas so much that I dislike how little Bethesda took from that game.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
imo the worst part of Fallout 4 is the fact that you can make yourself look like the most hosed up junkie raider but you still sound like a goddamn Boy Scout

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

oh man

I kinda hope they go all out and include permadeath in survival

Given the number of times I've received a rather sudden and likely unavoidable without some form of precognition end at the hand of a fatman or the occasional rocket launcher I'm not sure if I'd be able to get behind that.

achillesforever6 posted:

Finally got a PS4 so I could finally get Fallout 4, my thoughts so far is the dialogue system is so clunky and that I've played New Vegas so much that I dislike how little Bethesda took from that game.

I think I would have enjoyed Fallout 4 more if I had never played NV.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

achillesforever6 posted:

Survival mode, like from New Vegas, not that stupid Bulletsponge mode it currently has, is coming in a free update, soonish.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

8 Ball posted:

imo the worst part of Fallout 4 is the fact that you can make yourself look like the most hosed up junkie raider but you still sound like a goddamn Boy Scout

The lines about how the wasteland didn't corrupt you are especially hilarious if you play this way.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Coming on the heels of The Witcher, or even New Vegas, the dialogue is just abominably embarrassing.

Brotherhood of Steel Jerk: "Why should any of us trust you? You aren't military!"
PC (in upbeat falsetto): "Actually, I was in the military before being frozen for three hundred years!"
Brotherhood of Steel Jerk: "Oh my God. I'll try to be more trusting in the future."
PC (semi-threatening, like a nerd quoting a line from The Matrix): "You'd better, or else I'll murder all of you!"
Brotherhood of Steel Jerk: "Whoa, whoa, whoa. No need for that. Will you help us search for our lost patrol?"
PC (sobbing uncontrollably): "Only if it helps me find my missing child!"
Brotherhood of Steel Jerk: "Your child...is missing? That's horrible."
PC (sarcastic twerp): "Well, I wouldn't say I've been missing him, Bob."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

poisonpill posted:

Coming on the heels of The Witcher, or even New Vegas, the dialogue is just abominably embarrassing.

Brotherhood of Steel Jerk: "Why should any of us trust you? You aren't military!"
PC (in upbeat falsetto): "Actually, I was in the military before being frozen for three hundred years!"
Brotherhood of Steel Jerk: "Oh my God. I'll try to be more trusting in the future."
PC (semi-threatening, like a nerd quoting a line from The Matrix): "You'd better, or else I'll murder all of you!"
Brotherhood of Steel Jerk: "Whoa, whoa, whoa. No need for that. Will you help us search for our lost patrol?"
PC (sobbing uncontrollably): "Only if it helps me find my missing child!"
Brotherhood of Steel Jerk: "Your child...is missing? That's horrible."
PC (sarcastic twerp): "Well, I wouldn't say I've been missing him, Bob."

This is why I save before most conversations, because I'm inevitably going to make my guy sound like a mentally-handicapped schizophrenic. It's especially bad during the bit where you and Nick visit the Memory Den.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Counterpoint:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pwnstar posted:

Counterpoint:

:golfclap:

drat shame there's no AK pattern Chinese Assault Rifles in this one.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I managed to get the Benevolent Leader achievement in The Castle of all places. :smug: This is after an unfortunate amount of time beating my head against a wall in other settlements I had inadvertently lowered the size of by scrapping too many items in them. Still took an awful lot of more or less grinding to accomplish.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So happy we're getting the first of the DLC this week.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I wish I hadn't played 75%+ of the game before this new survival mode came out but no loving way am I redoing 100 hours.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of glad I've been buried under class work and regular work so I'm still about 8 or so hours in, if that.

This new Survival mode is exactly my bag.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hi thread.

I played through this twice, once repping Railroad, once repping Brotherhood. The Minutemen seem like a non-entity you can ignore. When the other factions start clashing, they don't even give them a second though, like they're beneath notice. I like that the Minecraft stuff is mostly ignorable.

What I like most is that they soft retconned all the aesthetic design to remove the identifiable late century stuff and really pin it down to a consistent otherworldly 50's retro-futurism. I never liked that Tactics had Humvees and I was iffy on the AK-style rifles and that sort of thing. Even though some of that was grandfathered all the way from '97, it was a sacred cow worth slaying IMO.

I sort of agree about the dialogue system, though. The little two-word capsule prompts sometimes don't give any indication whatsoever what you're going to say, and there's kind of a shortage of options. I'd rather they didn't record your guy's dialogue and gave me a half dozen options. I also miss how making your guy borderline retarded basically meant you had to grunt your way through conversations.

After my latest BoS playthrough I'm just sort of exploring the map, seeing what I missed. It's pretty fun. I'll probably get the robot expansion.

Thanks for reading my post.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
I'm addicted to collecting power armour, I loot all pieces I can find.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tuskin38 posted:

I'm addicted to collecting power armour, I loot all pieces I can find.

Once I found out you can steal power armor from brotherhood knights by pickpocketing their fusion cores, I always end up with a giant motor pool garage full of T-60s.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Reminder that you can use the move-to prompt to put companions in power armor. Turn Piper into a robo-journalist.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Broken power armour parts also weigh nothing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Entropic posted:

Once I found out you can steal power armor from brotherhood knights by pickpocketing their fusion cores, I always end up with a giant motor pool garage full of T-60s.

I haven't stolen any armor except the suit at Roadside Pines which I didn't realize would still show up as stolen after killing all the raiders there. I made Curie wear that suit after changing it to T60 BOS armor.

That said, I have found or bought enough suits that I have quite a display going at Sanctuary - more than a dozen suits all lined up in their own power armor stations. I had been lazy and just left fusion cores in them all, but came back to Sanctuary last night only to find that a couple of settlers had decided to take them for a spin, and one of the fuckers wouldn't get out of the suit. Had to pickpocket the fusion core to make him exit, which caused Preston and Codsworth to scold me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Survival mode in NV owned for the carry weight restrictions on ammo, which helped prevent you from being a walking armor, and the lack of instant healing items. The bar management part was really dumb though.

• Locked thread