Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Everything Counts posted:

So he's remaking Battlefield Earth?

Well at least making something better than the last one is an incredibly low bar, gently caress, all you'd have to do is not shoot every loving scene at an angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Waffleman_ posted:

Edge of Tomorrow was great because it didn't take itself entirely seriously. It seems like Tom Cruise has been in on the joke that is his career in the last few years.

Edge of Tomorrow was someone savescumming their way through an XCOM campaign and Tom Cruise is the player's self-insert.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Like every other movie Tom Cruise is in has him playing a loser or an rear end in a top hat, the idea that he's super prideful and only plays heroic characters is one of those weird internet mass hallucinations like thinking Will Smith said "welcome to earf" in Independence Day.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Edge of Tomorrow was someone savescumming their way through an XCOM campaign and Tom Cruise is the player's self-insert.
This is probably the most apt description of the movie I've seen.

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

Collateral Damage posted:

This is probably the most apt description of the movie I've seen.

The inspiration for the book was the author re-loading a jRPG twenty times and his amusement at the princess treating him like some big hero.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

He's apparently doing a mummy movie next, except not as the title character, and also a movie where he's an elite pilot of the Fairy Squadron flying superjets to fight geometric alien ships flying out of a portal over Antartica. Not to be confused with Top Gun 2, which is also in the works.

I hope he gets over his fear of playing gay characters because Gay Roy Fokker is literally canon in that series.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Coleco Chameleon guys just keep digging a deeper hole.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/704506008513581056

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Making the shell 90s-style-transparent was a real bad design move on their part :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Having just heard of it, I'm having trouble figuring out why anyone would want that even if it wasn't a scam.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

NESguerilla posted:

Having just heard of it, I'm having trouble figuring out why anyone would want that even if it wasn't a scam.

People really into <INSERT SUBJECT HERE> do strange things.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Making the shell 90s-style-transparent was a real bad design move on their part :v:
And not only because it looks like poo poo.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
People went nuts over the loving OUYA. There are some weird motherfuckers out there.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Surprise..the Coolest is out of money.
http://www.oregonlive.com/window-shop/index.ssf/2016/02/coolest_cooler_ran_out_of_cash.html

13 million raised on kickstarter...

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
This is from last year but the podcast The Dollop, which raised over $25,000 on Kickstarter and brings in over $4,000 a month on Patreon got busted plagiarizing material from similar weird history trivia site drat Interesting.

The full tl;dr breakdown of it all is here but their response is the real star, in which they defend lifting passages verbatim by saying that it's historical info and therefor uncopyrightable.

Dave Anthony via Reddit posted:

Listeners of The Dollop understand that I do no original research on the historical facts we tell jokes about.

Dave Anthony on Patreon explaining why you should give him money posted:

The Dollop is a lot more work than most podcasts, due to the endless research.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1508057425/gripbell-versatile-grip-workout-differently

I honestly feel bad. Tons of my friends just went gaga over the fact that Nyle DeMarco was a model for the advertising.

Somehow it just snowballed into this whole 'DEAF'! power thing ignoring the fact that he's a freaking model and has zero involvement in this silly exercising fad.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Sleeveless posted:

This is from last year but the podcast The Dollop, which raised over $25,000 on Kickstarter and brings in over $4,000 a month on Patreon got busted plagiarizing material from similar weird history trivia site drat Interesting.

The full tl;dr breakdown of it all is here but their response is the real star, in which they defend lifting passages verbatim by saying that it's historical info and therefor uncopyrightable.

drat Interesting is a really good site. I don't listen to The Dollop, but they don't seem as worthy of that $4k/mo as drat Interesting does.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

WeeabooJudas posted:

The inspiration for the book was the author re-loading a jRPG twenty times and his amusement at the princess treating him like some big hero.

Let's not forget about the book's absolutely amazing title that sadly didn't make it onto the movie version: All You Need Is Kill

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

More RetroVGS/Coleco Chameleon scam of a console news:

:laffo:

XYZ has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Mar 3, 2016

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

oops

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CommunistPancake posted:

drat Interesting is a really good site. I don't listen to The Dollop, but they don't seem as worthy of that $4k/mo as drat Interesting does.

Imagine reading drat Interesting only every few seconds a really obnoxious comedian tells a joke and then laughs at his own joke right in your ear and you have the full Dollop experience.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sleeveless posted:

Imagine reading drat Interesting only every few seconds a really obnoxious comedian tells a joke and then laughs at his own joke right in your ear and you have the full Dollop experience.

"Joke" should be in quotes. The history is interesting (drat interesting, you might say), but the sort of overreactions to things reminds me of YouTube superstars screaming at like Amnesia or something. Like distractingly fake and bad.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"We're going to take your money and run. Later suckers."

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

"We're going to take your money and run. Later suckers."

That message is from the holding company of the Coleco name. The Retro VGS people don't actually have any public money yet, as far as I can tell. They ran an indiegogo and received 81k (4% of their goal), but it was fixed funding so nobody got charged.

They were hoping to make this "prototype" and generate a bit of buzz before launching a kickstarter but it's backfired on them in a big way. Now they are delaying the kickstarter and the Coleco folks are publically calling them out. Realistically Coleco will probably come back and say "looked ok to us!", but the damage to this thing has already been done. There's no way they reach whatever goal they set on Kickstarter. The best they can hope for now is doing a flex-funding indiegogo and getting a few thousand from whatever delusional believers they have left.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

How do you like them butters?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/biemspray/the-biem-butter-sprayer

Not endorsed by Paula Deen.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Paula Biēm.

It might not be a bad- oh $99- I'll just keep my butter on the counter, thanks. The popcorn use case is compelling; I've never had butter make popcorn soggy, but it is a hassle evenly distributing it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

wa27 posted:

That message is from the holding company of the Coleco name. The Retro VGS people don't actually have any public money yet, as far as I can tell. They ran an indiegogo and received 81k (4% of their goal), but it was fixed funding so nobody got charged.
Oh right, I thought they had outright bought the right to the Coleco name and had a bunch of kickstarter/indiegogo money in their pockets. I honestly haven't followed their funding process.

Otherwise an "external audit" would have been a convenient excuse to shitcan the project and disappear with whatever money was left.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

gschmidl posted:

How do you like them butters?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/biemspray/the-biem-butter-sprayer

Not endorsed by Paula Deen.

I like how fancy it looks

you know, because you need to look fancy while you spray liquefied fat all over your meal

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
fat is an important macro-nutrient, motherfucker

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd buy that thing if it was like 20 bucks.

I bet it gets really gummed up and nasty on the inside though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost
the non video game kickstarters are more useless. who would have thought

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I Cant Believe Its Not Butter sells spray bottles of liquid margarine for a few bucks. You could dump the margarine out and fill it with melted butter for way less than this piece of crap.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't not read the name as B.M.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am sure there are places that use E With A Line Over It in an appropriate way, but this is not an example of such. I don't think. I don't actually know how E With A Line Over It To Sound Fancier is supposed to be pronounced.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

NESguerilla posted:

I'd buy that thing if it was like 20 bucks.

I bet it gets really gummed up and nasty on the inside though.

I suppose there's the possibility that if this thing performs as advertised, it could get noticed by one of the major manufacturers and mass produced.

And it sounds like they've given at least some thought to the problem of keeping it clean:

quote:

You open the top and and fill with water and a drop of dish soap.Then you press and hold the on/off button for two seconds and it enters cleaning mode. For the next ten minutes the unit heats up to 155 degrees. All of the parts that come in contact with the butter are heated all the way up to the nozzle itself. After 10 minutes, you simply activate the spray to flush the soap and water through the nozzle, empty any remaining soapy water from the main chamber and flush the spray again with clean water, and you are ready to go.

You won't need a brush but it won't hurt it either if you feel compelled.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I don't want one, cause keeping butter on the counter is easy enough. But $100 doesn't sound unreasonable for a useless gadget to add to the pile.

https://aervana.com/ for example. I'll just wait a few minutes for my wine to do its thing, or get a non electric one for cheaper.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

The General posted:

I don't want one, cause keeping butter on the counter is easy enough. But $100 doesn't sound unreasonable for a useless gadget to add to the pile.

https://aervana.com/ for example. I'll just wait a few minutes for my wine to do its thing, or get a non electric one for cheaper.

It's the kind of gadget that's perfect for the kind of people who need gadgets for every little niche thing in the kitchen, which happens to be a fairly large market with money to burn. Nothing really awful about it though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFeVlw2Ywg

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

The General posted:

Just get a straw and do it yourself!

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
Midair

Reflex

Midair Reflex combo pack

Marketing budget for midair reflex

etc

they shuld each get separate shillings requests etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Those meat claws rule and are indispensable if you own a smoker. They literally cut the time needed to shred a butt by 1/10 over using forks and produces a better result. I also keep mine roped together and wear them around my neck while showering incase I am attacked while all naked and soapy.