Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
tabs has upgraded his technology and now posts DMC webms and gifvs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tabs has truly grown more powerful, he is now Tabs 2.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
That's fine because I like it when I don't have to wait 2 minutes for everything to load just to troll a thread.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It actually was pretty terrible given the effort put into the OPs of other fighting game threads, including multi-poster collab work on the MvC3/UMvC3 OPs, Brosnan's TTT2 thread, several iterations of SF4 threads (RIP The Icy Chill Zone), etc. It seems like it's improved now thanks to the efforts of other posters, though.

I think he admitted as much when it was made because the game had just been released; the point is, it seems like a pretty petty thing to bring up.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

The Gorp posted:

Chess didn't get good until turbo.
Can you believe people once played it without stopclocks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aKqAJopIus

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I learned that you can spd out of block by stating the spd at back. I feel kinda silly. Also I just cheesed normal and got my cheese pants for zangief, this should not make me feel drained emotionally like it does. Somehow even though I beat survival I still lost.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

checkstock posted:

Why are the normals so short?

Dhalsim, Birdie, Claw and Chun are all in the game.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Remember when you got a mod to lock the old thread and made a terrible OP with no input from anybody else.

What a hurtful statement. Why would you say that? I worked really hard on the OP.

Corbeau posted:

No new patch news, right? Or did someone say it was due this upcoming week?

They're finally doing something about quitters but I don't think we've heard anything else.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Can Dhalsim just wake up teleport backwards? Is that really a thing? Is the only way to beat it to grab it on the first frame that it comes out, or hope you have something fast and far reaching that punishes it?

https://a.pomf.cat/hvyaqd.webm

Gunder
May 22, 2003

My friend was making fun of me for picking Ryu today, claiming: "Ryu has never been worse, he's awful in V". I know he's not top tier, but he seems perfectly fine to me. Where do you guys think he lands in the hierarchy?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Don't bring Sirlin into this.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Can Dhalsim just wake up teleport backwards? Is that really a thing? Is the only way to beat it to grab it on the first frame that it comes out, or hope you have something fast and far reaching that punishes it?

https://a.pomf.cat/hvyaqd.webm

I did not know this, thank you for teaching me a thing that you hate

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Gunder posted:

My friend was making fun of me for picking Ryu today, claiming: "Ryu has never been worse, he's awful in V". I know he's not top tier, but he seems perfectly fine to me. Where do you guys think he lands in the hierarchy?
i think this cast is overall well balanced, but i think your friend is a giant idiot. ryu is very, very good in the game. i actually think he's top 5 but this is not at all a consensus. again, new game we don't know etc etc but i'd argue with anyone saying ryu is one of the worse characters in the game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gunder posted:

Ryu owns, I'd put him top 5 at least tbh. Can't wait to see Daigo parries in CPT events :allears:

https://fat.gfycat.com/PaltryGlossyIbizanhound.webm

[edit] more daigo parry :circlefap:
https://giant.gfycat.com/AdolescentUnrulyHarlequinbug.webm

[edit 2] Holy poo poo that's big lmao

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 7, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gunder posted:

He has stubbier normals than the rest of the cast but he does ridiculous damage and his V-skill is going to be absurd in the hands of pros.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lemon-Lime posted:

He has stubbier normals than the rest of the cast but he does ridiculous damage and his V-skill is going to be absurd in the hands of pros.

His pokes have good range at least even if his main combo normals are nearly point blank.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

He is throwable on the first few frames. In fact anyone with a command grab can just do a meaty command grab on his wakeup and since his jump and backdash are so poo poo he basically can't do anything about punishing it if he gets out.

*ed*

^^ Ryu is really solid in this game, and is only going to get better over time once people get really used to using the parry.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Gunder posted:

He got nerfed a lot in the beta so people had this perceptionhe'd be no good (and perhaps your friend still believes this, perhaps erroneously), but he actually has decent mobility and damage; add his tools and he's a pretty good character in SFV.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The ~Japanese gods~ on daigo's stream thought characters with 3 frame jabs and invincible reversals will end up being the best and characters like Nash will be less good by the end, fwiw.

E: also it was funny hearing them talk about zangief in Japanese and then all of them saying Snake Eyez at once

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 7, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

lmao @ david sirloin

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I'll weigh in on Ryu even though you shouldn't take my opinion on him any more seriously just because I'm obsessed with the character :downs:

Pros:
-Really good reversals
-Parry is really strong vs. stuff you can react to
-Gets good mileage out of V-Trigger cancelling most of his normals
-Good V-Reversal: decent range, knocks down, safe on block
-LOTS of ways to combo into Super, including many practical and damaging hit confirms. I personally think consistent combos into Super is one of the most important things that makes a character good in this game.

Cons:
-His whiff punishment mostly doesn't lead to anything, he *has* to spend resources to turn whiff punishes into damage
-Parry mostly sucks in guess situations (where 3S parry was godlike), it's only valid where Ryu is +0, -1, or -2 frames and it's limited and risky even then
-Fireballs suck poo poo, they are truly "long range pokes" in this game and not for any form of zoning
-Bad at mix-ups, he's all about pressure and punishing in this game IMO. SF5's white life mechanic definitely favors pressure characters more than SF4, though.

I think all this makes him pretty mid tier. Absolutely worth playing but definitely :effort: - I think he'll end up with some fairly advantageous match-ups vs. some characters in the hands of players that can consistently react to certain moves with parry. This might be offset by his parry not really mattering at all vs. grapplers.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
ryu's long range punish game is so laughably bad unless you want to burn super and even then it's kind of lovely

sweeping someone unless it's cc is so unsatisfying as ryu and he can't do any zoning worth poo poo so it's not even like you get a good setup

his optimal ranges are just really bizarre in general

don't play him he's boring and he'll just make you sad when you think about how cool he is in good street fighter games

e: if they make parry 1f faster that might be enough to make the character not it not feel like poo poo to guess with it

Agoat posted:

What a hurtful statement. Why would you say that? I worked really hard on the OP.

some people just don't have the natural talent it requires to make good OPs maybe your skills lie elsewhere like in being really excited about sf5

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 7, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Agoat posted:

Just like how games can be fun but not good, it's possible for one to work really hard on something and not produce anything good, hth

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick
About Ryu: i think his fireballs are pretty great within the context of the game. the jab fireball is so slow it can be kind of hard to neutral jump with its wide hitbox. obviously you have to take care vs certain things though just like SF4, meter or super often means dont throw them anymore. And being unsafe after a close block string into fireball is pretty annoying.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I've been floating around 1000-1200LP for a week now, and my biggest frustration is largely that I seem to get frequently paired against Ultra Bronze and Silver players. I kinda get crushed in most of those battles. My win rate is 50%, though, so I guess I'm right where I should be.

I'm all ears for suggestions with Mika. I'm trying specifically to get better at her footsies and use her lights to condition people to block so I can work in her command grabs. Part of it is I recognize I rely too much on her c.HK and c.HP, but I feel I have a hard time getting in without them. Same goes for some of her target combos like Stomp-Chop xx Shooting Peach - doesn't feel like I can consistently land them despite practicing a lot in training mode with a dummy set to random guard.

And speaking of Shooting Peach, I was under the impression it had a hit of armor on the first swing but I've been jabbed out of it a few times so is it not armored low?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i feel like learning to use ryu is good for learning the game. he's more defensive than most characters and hits harder than most characters. he doesn't have gimmick moves to give you easy wins against bad players without learning. i like him and it will be good to have a pocket ryu down the road after i switch to a more interesting character.

Skypie posted:

I've been floating around 1000-1200LP for a week now, and my biggest frustration is largely that I seem to get frequently paired against Ultra Bronze and Silver players. I kinda get crushed in most of those battles. My win rate is 50%, though, so I guess I'm right where I should be.

50% win rate with losses vs. higher tier opponents should see you having a net benefit. 1 win in 3 in your own rank is enough to creep upwards i've noticed.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 7, 2016

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Skypie posted:

And speaking of Shooting Peach, I was under the impression it had a hit of armor on the first swing but I've been jabbed out of it a few times so is it not armored low?

The armor doesn't start until the 3rd frame so if they hit you with a properly timed meaty you'll lose.

My general suggestion is abuse the crap out of s.HK until the opponent proves they can deal with it. s.MK is probably her best all-purpose poke, and her cr.lk is super spammable.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

The armor doesn't start until the 3rd frame so if they hit you with a properly timed meaty you'll lose.

My general suggestion is abuse the crap out of s.HK until the opponent proves they can deal with it. s.MK is probably her best all-purpose poke, and her cr.lk is super spammable.

Yeah I use her s.HK like crazy and I've been conditioning myself to use her s.MK more and her c.LK as a machine gun kick. The armor thing is exactly what I needed to know.

Also your videos have been very helpful and put me in way better spots against Karin, who I frequently lost to before! Same with the shimmy tutorial.

Real hurthling! posted:

50% win rate with losses vs. higher tier opponents should see you having a net benefit. 1 win in 3 in your own rank is enough to creep upwards i've noticed.

Barring a couple times when I played tired and went on miserable losing streaks, yeah. I only do a few ranked matches at a time. I should commit a time to just grind it out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Skypie posted:

Barring a couple times when I played tired and went on miserable losing streaks, yeah. I only do a few ranked matches at a time. I should commit a time to just grind it out.

i can't play that way. i warm up in lobbies or casual and then play 1-3 ranked matches max and call it a day when i'm up. if i play too many i start worrying about my lp and start playing scared to lose and that's not fun.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I enjoy the banter between the SF5 Defense Force and the Shitpost Brigade a lot more than I've liked watching the actual game being played, for what it's worth. It's ok for people to call the game bad both for the myriad justified reasons and just for subjective personal ones, and it's also okay to ignore them and like/enjoy the game regardless whether you think it's good/bad/ugly (trust me, I like and enjoy plenty of mediocre to awful games).

Personally speaking, I think there are some interesting design decisions among a few of the characters (Sim, Gief, Chun, Rashid, Mika) that get unfortunately overshadowed by other design decisions that will lead to the game growing stale faster than previous entries. I also think Capcom did a spectacularly poor job both of trying to cater to the casual market (for real story mode, come back in four months) and in trying to appease the hardcore crowd (lack of directinput support on PC, netcode that will pick one player to favor if things hiccup in a certain way, their matchmaking code reacting weird with certain NAT types, server going down affecting local/offline play, etc.). The people who want to cover their ears and go LA LA LA about all this are weird to me because these are problems that should be discussed and perhaps even made fun of repeatedly. Capcom was probably rushed either by their own higher ups or by Sony to release this, but that's not a free pass to avoid criticism over the problems that have resulted from that.

It's actually impossible to make that call right now. If Capcom is smart they'll release a GOTY version on Steam the same way FROM released Scholar of the First Sin for Dark Souls 2. In case you're unfamiliar with how that worked, you could either buy a cheaper upgrade if you had the original DS2, or you could just get the whole thing again. This way they can get all the bad reviews for the current game to go away.

With the season updates they can change characters quite a bit and add mechanics. In KI for season two recapture was added, for season three stagger wil be added. There was also a heavy overhaul for Fulgore for season two, and a few characters in season three will be see some overhauls. There were also a number of system wide changes for both seasons as well.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
There's literally no reason to play casual matches ever, though. They don't give you anything when you win.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Goodpart posted:

There's literally no reason to play casual matches ever, though. They don't give you anything when you win.

you get fight money.

its lobbies that have no payout

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Evil Canadian posted:

He is throwable on the first few frames. In fact anyone with a command grab can just do a meaty command grab on his wakeup and since his jump and backdash are so poo poo he basically can't do anything about punishing it if he gets out.

Dhalsim has teleport as an option if he holds up. I'd have to test if he could punish a whiffed SPD on reaction but his punish combos actually hurt this game so it's probably worth considering even as a guess.

e: V-skill too, actually

apple fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 7, 2016

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Real hurthling! posted:

you get fight money.

Awaiting the realization that he's been playing with rage quitters for weeks for literally no reason at all.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Real hurthling! posted:

you get fight money.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would play a casual match when ranked exists.

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 7, 2016

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Goodpart posted:

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would play a casual match when ranked exists.

Hey I wanna try a new character but I don't wanna lose points while I inevitably lose taking my learning lumps.

Its not hard to figure out.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Goodpart posted:

no 3-5minute wait between matches. not character locked.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

How does casual matchmaking work in terms of picking eligible opponents?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

hello friends

someone has probably already posted something, but anyone playing birdie mind sharing some tips?

I literally started playing him like 3 hours ago but my win rate online shot through the roof of just playing the footsie game and blowing up whiffs with ex bull rush, or bull horn but I don't really know what his gameplan is supposed to look like, and SRK apparently doesn't like the donut man because theirs like 5 threads maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

hello friends

someone has probably already posted something, but anyone playing birdie mind sharing some tips?

I literally started playing him like 3 hours ago but my win rate online shot through the roof of just playing the footsie game and blowing up whiffs with ex bull rush, or bull horn but I don't really know what his gameplan is supposed to look like, and SRK apparently doesn't like the donut man because theirs like 5 threads maybe