Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

I don't think there's 1.6 billion people in new york

you'd be surprised

snype delayed due to injury at track level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
my favorite bart of riding BART is arepeople who only ride during the work rush that can't handle when a homeless crazy person shits himself stinking up the old car and are too polite or something to move to the car over or call BART police. its pretty cool.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

so i should definitely read the power broker, right? because that's what i'm taking away from this article.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fits my needs posted:

my favorite bart of riding BART is arepeople who only ride during the work rush that can't handle when a homeless crazy person shits himself stinking up the old car and are too polite or something to move to the car over or call BART police. its pretty cool.

lol @ SF forever

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Leck posted:

so i should definitely read the power broker, right? because that's what i'm taking away from this article.

it's gone straight to the top of my list. I think the same guy also tried to demolish a load of poor neighbourhoods in NYC to build a huge motorway

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the MTA is cool and impressive, but is clearly hampered from reaching its full potential by terrible major project planning (probably due to political interference, idk) and insane construction costs.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm loving the cable car on the latest tube map:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Leck posted:

it's really good but i strongly suggest getting the e-book

i made the mistake of buying the physical volume and it's so big/heavy i can't carry it anywhere

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

I'm loving the cable car on the latest tube map:

your city is under siege by an army of cyborg minotaurs with tank treads for legs

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

England is so drunk they name transit stops after gin.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

England is so drunk they name transit stops after gin.

england has so many gin brands they had to resort to naming them after transit stops

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
oh, i see it now. the gondola thing. lol. looks cool

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
funicular !! drat!! first i was tyring to remember the word GONDOLA and then i got that and then it wasnt right but the word was FUNICULAR!! drat!! drat!!! drat this drug addled brain!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
heres a FUNICULAR near where i live!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_Flight

here is it (or a different one idk there are 2) in 1903! theres a horse in this pic!!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Smythe posted:

heres a FUNICULAR near where i live!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_Flight

A history of cheap, bad management, the list of ten items all missed that would have prevented the first accident is impressive.

quote:

The brake safety system had been bypassed with a wooden stick.

Apr 7, 2003

Pittsburgh has two funiculars, which are a part of the Port Authority system so you can ride them with your bus/T pass. Pretty sweet.

This is the Duquesne Incline.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pittsburgh has two funiculars, which are a part of the Port Authority system so you can ride them with your bus/T pass. Pretty sweet.

ok this pittsburgh post is actually cool

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I don't think san diego has any public funiculars.

there's some guy with a funicular that goes from his mansion down to black's beach though. (it's a nude beach)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

so sick

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

those cable cars are all cool because they actually go places. the emirates air line is utterly useless. there's something about cable cars which go nowhere which really attracts airlines to sponsor them, they're building one in brighton too:

click the link for the mascot (!) and a bonus gif:
http://imgur.com/a/VOio6

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
i think you need to have to know london geogrpahy in order to appreciate how terrible the emirates cable car is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qklehymwwF4

note the empty lots on one side, and the industrial estate on the other

e: skip to 1:30, the url parsing thing stripped off the timestamp

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lol of the top 4 systems in NA one is in mexico and 2 are in canada :canada:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol the stats for the T don't include the green line, the one 99% of peopele i knew in boston lived off of

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

lol the stats for the T don't include the green line, the one 99% of peopele i knew in boston lived off of

yah the green line is the one i used to use the most, by far

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

last time I went up this, I watched the Heinz Field scoreboard catch fire

totes sw8

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beeftweeter posted:

wait what lmao

Metric is worthless

Apr 7, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

last time I went up this, I watched the Heinz Field scoreboard catch fire

totes sw8

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2001/06/25/daily41.html

That never happened.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it was one of the supports, but I didn't feel like typing out scoreboard support structure :shrug:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

also I was 11 and we went to the Carnegie science center right after :3:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

ya green line alone would be 10th on the list of NA systems lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

ya green line alone would be 10th on the list of NA systems lol

lmao let's not measure the system that takes people to the professional sports venue

Apr 7, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

also I was 11 and we went to the Carnegie science center right after :3:

I was 21 when Heinz Field opened.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

lmao let's not measure the system that takes people to the professional sports venue

let's not measure the four subway lines that tie the largest portion of residential boston to the downtown area

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

let's not measure the four subway lines that tie the largest portion of residential boston to the downtown area

what possible reason could there be for excluding the green line

gently caress

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

gently caress

according to the talk page its cause at some points its above ground so that makes it light rail instead of "rapid transit". tl;dr: wikipedians are retarded

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

gently caress

"heavy rail" only list

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its a misleading title too because what they really mean is subway systems, and not rapid transit systems

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

every line of the T has above-ground parts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah and im sure its the same w/ the other cities in the list, but its not included cause Wikipedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the terms heavy rail, commuter rail, metro, subway, light rail, and streetcar are completely blurred in one place or other in the US. cities built systems to their own specs/budgets/politics.

like the brown line in chicago being an elevated heavy rail metro that also has at-grade crossings. or the LA green line being a 100% grade separated system with high-floor cars... thats a 'light rail', although its cars are like twice as heavy as some other light rail systems. or Sacramento's light rail system thats really more of a commuter rail system at the fringes and streetcar in the center.

what im saying is those terms are bad

• Locked thread