Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joe football
Dec 22, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

Is there a specific reason why Trump is polling so well in Michigan? Is it because his anti-Muslim rhetoric plays well with white GOP voters in a state with significantly large Muslim communities?

Being skeptical of free trade is probably really popular in Michigan, Sanders is also doing pretty well there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

joe football posted:

Being skeptical of free trade is probably really popular in Michigan, Sanders is also doing pretty well there
Michigan Democratic Presidential Primary (Monday, March 07, 2016)
FOX 2 Detroit/Mitchell
Clinton 66
Sanders 29

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Jindal, who couldn't manage to properly spit out a response to a SotU address also had absolutely no business running a state? Well I'll never.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

say no to bats posted:

Jindal, who couldn't manage to properly spit out a response to a SotU address also had absolutely no business running a state? Well I'll never.

But he was implementing the GOP national agenda. Same as Fallin in OK, Brownback in KS and Walker in WI. NC too. They implemented the GOP national platform very effectively in their states.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

say no to bats posted:

Now I think about it, has there been a decent SotU response since Obama took office? I only know of Jindal and Rubio + whatever the gently caress it was marblemouth Haley did.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

FistEnergy posted:

Is there a specific reason why Trump is polling so well in Michigan? Is it because his anti-Muslim rhetoric plays well with white GOP voters in a state with significantly large Muslim communities?

Michigan is ground zero for the effects of globalization, outsourcing, and coastal banker fuckery. Trump's essential argument is that the problems facing former industrial states are the direct outcome of a bipartisan effort of the coastal elite, through a mix of greed and incompetence, which has used political correctness to silence dissent and delegitimize the victims complaints. Deindustrialization, massive influxes of cheap labor, outsourcing, are all deliberate policies and preaching the wonders of immigration and free trade are simply covers for these policies and methods to crush those who object. Which is actually not that far off, and Detroit is one of the places hardest hit by all this.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I saw or read some discussion about the current GOP primary that likened Cruz's current status in the race as not much different from, say, Rick Santorum from 2012. Remember, Rick did win about 11 or 12 states. The main reason it's not being portrayed as a Romney/Santorum situation is because the front runner is Trump, so there is more interest in trying to prop up Cruz.

Aside from the big delegate haul in TX, Cruz has basically been able to win the smaller whiter caucus states. Santorum and Huckabee were also able to win the deep South states but Cruz has had his lunch eaten there by Trump.

Now Cruz pulling close late in LA does suggest it's possible the fundamental race dynamic may have shifted in his direction now in the deep South, although it's too late for that region and type of voter as Trump has already won all over Cruz's Bible Belt backyard. It remains to be proven that Cruz can do the same in a Midwest and Northeast backyard that should be a lot friendlier to Trump than Cruz, especially with respect to the big states.

Michigan is the first big test of that. If Trump is able to hold off Cruz and Kasich there and especially if he wins anywhere near his polling, then it reconfirms that the race is his to lose. And the OH/FL apocalypse will of course determine all.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
So does Rubio winning PR give him a chance to get back in the game or is he basically done at this point and all of the establishment votes are going to Kasich, who at least has a chance of winning his home state.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Totalizator posted:

I know this was ran to the ground, but

Trump: Heavy
Kasich: Engineer
Jeb: Medic
Cruz: Spy
Carson: Pyro
Rubio: Scout

this is so clearly wrong

Trump: Pyro
Kasich: Engineer
Jeb: Medic
Cruz: Spy
Carson: Heavy
Rubio: Scout

a pyro's job is to burn everything it sees in case it is a spy. a heavy's job is to lumber around slowly, sheepishly, as if it were asleep.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Saurus posted:

So does Rubio winning PR give him a chance to get back in the game or is he basically done at this point and all of the establishment votes are going to Kasich, who at least has a chance of winning his home state.
Puerto Rico is a big nothingburger of delegates or barometer of anything. I doubt any of the other candidates even campaigned there.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

MysteriousStranger posted:

Michigan is ground zero for the effects of globalization, outsourcing, and coastal banker fuckery. Trump's essential argument is that the problems facing former industrial states are the direct outcome of a bipartisan effort of the coastal elite, through a mix of greed and incompetence, which has used political correctness to silence dissent and delegitimize the victims complaints. Deindustrialization, massive influxes of cheap labor, outsourcing, are all deliberate policies and preaching the wonders of immigration and free trade are simply covers for these policies and methods to crush those who object. Which is actually not that far off, and Detroit is one of the places hardest hit by all this.

The only people who can disagree with this are ideologues.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

My Imaginary GF posted:

a pyro's job is to burn everything it sees in case it is a spy. a heavy's job is to lumber around slowly, sheepishly, as if it were asleep.

Carson sees the world in pyrovision and Trump is an untouchable battering ram screaming ENTIRE TEAM IS BABIES.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rubio just sits there building up his metal reserves.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

The Saurus posted:

Rubio is cooked, especially if this is anywhere near reality:

Astroclassicist posted:

https://twitter.com/politicalwire/status/706829094164566016

A new Fox 2 Detroit/Mitchell Research poll in Michigan finds Donald Trump leading the GOP presidential race with 42%, followed by John Kasich at 20%, Ted Cruz at 19% and Marco Rubio at 9%.

KASICHMENTUM.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Harlock posted:

Puerto Rico is a big nothingburger of delegates or barometer of anything. I doubt any of the other candidates even campaigned there.
Ben Carson did.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
http://www.phillyvoice.com/penn-student-petitions-strike-john-kasich-pennsylvania-republican-primary/

Lawsuit challenges Kasich's right to be on Pennsylvania ballot, says ~800 of ~2200 signatures are invalid (PA's requirement is 2000).

Could be a big deal if Kasich is off the ballot in Pennsylvania.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Peachstapler posted:

Ben Carson did.

Being fair, he probably didn't realise it wasn't a full state.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

That's very helpful, thanks.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Tesseraction posted:

Being fair, he probably didn't realise it wasn't a full state.
In all seriousness he probably conducted zero internal polling and flew over there with a quiet bravado to tell them they're gonna become a state under his presidency.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tesseraction posted:

Now I think about it, has there been a decent SotU response since Obama took office? I only know of Jindal and Rubio + whatever the gently caress it was marblemouth Haley did.

They're all inherently destined to fail because who the hell wants to watch some random jerk who's not the President ramble about stuff for an hour after watching the President ramble about stuff for an hour. The idea of a SotU "response" is stupid as hell.

That said, if you're looking for someone who didn't poo poo all over themselves, VA Gov. Bob McDonnell did as well as could reasonably be expected given the parameters of "talk about policy poo poo unprompted because the President did that a little while ago, only with all the trappings of office and tradition."

Of course, then McDonnell turned out to be corrupt as hell, his wife was having an affair with the guy bribing the governor, and McDonnell ended up crashing on the couch of some preacher who'd been busted for cruising dudes in a parking lot, and it was all very embarrassing for Virginia.

But that came after the SotU response.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Who was worse in SOTU response:

Jindal or Rubio?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Jindal or Rubio?

Jindal, no contest.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Carson should have stayed in so when Rubio and Kasich burn out, he'd be the only not-Cruz not-Trump in the race.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

FairGame posted:

Of course, then McDonnell turned out to be corrupt as hell, his wife was having an affair with the guy bribing the governor, and McDonnell ended up crashing on the couch of some preacher who'd been busted for cruising dudes in a parking lot, and it was all very embarrassing for Virginia.

And people say that republicans just don't get comedic timing.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I don't think Trump will actually enact the most pro business and anti labor agenda out there. In fact out of everyone running, only Sanders would be more pro working class. Clinton, Rubio, Cruz, Kasich would all be far worse.

I'd expect a Trump presidency to be the ultimate poll driven mess. Things that drive his ratings up with the masses, be it locking down the borders to reduce competition for jobs, increasing social security benefits, sticking it to the Chinese, water boarding people, berating hedge fund managers, will be done at regular intervals. Anything that doesn't poll well will be instantly abandoned and he'll pretend it never happened. Anybody who counters with "but that's a war crime" or "entitlement spending is out of hand" will be publically ridiculed and assaulted with "my poll numbers went up when I said it".

It will be a reality TV presidency with poll numbers as ratings and justification for everything he does.

bad news: we've seen his agenda published on his website and it's the same pro-business nonsense the Republican Party has been spouting for decades-- cut taxes on the wealthy, slash social programs, and eviscerate health care (despite what he said at the debate, his website indicates he wants to bring back pre-existing condition denials).

The only areas he deviates are in things he can't possibly do, like exit NAFTA, which I'm sure the Chamber of Commerce-controlled House will love.

The idea that he can win Michigan is a fantasy. He's pulling 39% of R primary voters in the latest poll I've seen, while Hillary is getting 55% in hers, and Democrats heavily outnumber Republicans in MI. Michigan has open primaries, so this includes independents. If Rust Belt democrats and indies were going to abandon her for an anti-free-trade populist they'd be doing so now, for Sanders; as it stands they're breaking for her more strongly than for Trump.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Patter Song posted:

http://www.phillyvoice.com/penn-student-petitions-strike-john-kasich-pennsylvania-republican-primary/

Lawsuit challenges Kasich's right to be on Pennsylvania ballot, says ~800 of ~2200 signatures are invalid (PA's requirement is 2000).

Could be a big deal if Kasich is off the ballot in Pennsylvania.

You would think Kasich would have been able to pull more than 2,200 signatures from his neighboring state. A good rule of thumb is you want at least 50% more signatures then the minimum required for ballot access.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jindal or Rubio?

Jindal was like Kenneth the Page from 30 Rock. This joke was so obvious to everyone that they got the guy who played Kenneth to make a video mocking it.

Rubio had one (admittedly hilarious) odd moment with the water grabbing, but aside from that did okay.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FairGame posted:

That said, if you're looking for someone who didn't poo poo all over themselves, VA Gov. Bob McDonnell did as well as could reasonably be expected given the parameters of "talk about policy poo poo unprompted because the President did that a little while ago, only with all the trappings of office and tradition."

Oh my God that's hilarious. Poor Virginia.

Perfectly Safe posted:

And people say that republicans just don't get comedic timing.

Either that or God really doesn't like them using his name in vain.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jindal or Rubio?

Jindal never gave a SOTU response. He gave a first-address-to-joint-session-of-Congress response

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Jindal never gave a SOTU response. He gave a first-address-to-joint-session-of-Congress response

Is this distinction because Obama had only been in office a few months, and therefore couldn't report on what had primarily been Bush's tenure?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

bad news: we've seen his agenda published on his website and it's the same pro-business nonsense the Republican Party has been spouting for decades-- cut taxes on the wealthy, slash social programs, and eviscerate health care (despite what he said at the debate, his website indicates he wants to bring back pre-existing condition denials).

using words like SLASH and EVISCERATE makes his moderate reforms seem really scary, good plan

except he's not going to cut social security and medicare, and will have the federal government negotiate for drug prices, and allow drugs to be imported from overseas to massively lower medication prices

also he doesn't want to destabilize country after country like Hillary does causing untold death and destruction, but I guess liberals have never really cared about people in poor countries

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah reading through the amount of poo poo that Jindal hosed up I doubt 16 years of Democratic rule could truly fix it.

I see you added them to the end of your post.

Jindal hosed up so terribly that a Republican who hosed a hooker while wearing a diaper lost the gubernatorial election solely due to being associated with Jindal.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tesseraction posted:

Oh my God that's hilarious. Poor Virginia.

Either that or God really doesn't like them using his name in vain.

I know that Jeb Lund isn't particularly well-liked around here (I gather he was a Helldump all star or something?) but I like his writing and you might enjoy this:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/28/governor-bob-mcdonnell-scandal-trial

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

nachos posted:

It might be easier at this point to name the republican governers that haven't destroyed their states in the past few years

Surprisingly enough, you can count Idaho in this list. :v:

The Otter administration has been hilariously and nakedly corrupt [State Superintendent signing a 22m broadband contract in a massively illegal fashion in broad daylight 6 months before leaving to take a VP position at said company, for instance] but has actually not burnt down the state. Now this mostly coincides with Idaho receiving piles of federal money for roads and for the INL, but both of these things lead to a very low unemployment rate and fairly high economic mobility. They've managed to put most of the heavily slashed education budget back in place, and there appears to be political will to increase funding again next year. The big fight going on right now between the republican governor and republican legislature is... medicaid expansion, which Otter has made a core plank of his last couple of years in office.

Otter is a drunk and in Simplot's pocket [or, is simplot I guess, since he's married to his daughter] but has not been an abject disaster. This is the same governor who had the country calling for his head when he said after Romney lost in 2012 that they had fought Obamacare in the courts and in a presidential election and that the republican party had lost both times. It was time to move on, work with the new system and try to help people.

tl;dr: Idaho politics are hilarious.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

The Nastier Nate posted:

You would think Kasich would have been able to pull more than 2,200 signatures from his neighboring state. A good rule of thumb is you want at least 50% more signatures then the minimum required for ballot access.

This is absolutely true. It's definitely possible Kasich ends up disqualified in PA and it'd be deeply embarrassing.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The Saurus posted:

also he doesn't want to destabilize country after country like Hillary does causing untold death and destruction, but I guess liberals have never really cared about people in poor countries

hahaha thats pretty rich coming from a hateful little poo poo like you

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

david mammoth posted:

Jindal hosed up so terribly that a Republican who hosed a hooker while wearing a diaper lost the gubernatorial election solely due to being associated with Jindal.

This sounds like a terrific story that I would like to hear more about

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Needs More Ditka posted:

David Vitter had a thing for being put in a diaper and hired a mistress while in Washington to do just that.

It got out awhile ago, he then decided to run for Louisiana governor with it being public knowledge, and managed to sneak through the jungle primary to the runoff against Edwards.

The ads were basically open season on him and as brutal as you can imagine. He even missed a vote on terrorism or something to be with the mistress.

Good times.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Jindal or Rubio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84sZMS95yYM

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

whatever7 posted:

Wait, regular bulbs change to CFL bulbs? There is a conspiracy for CFL bulbs?

Because the law george bush signed to phase out incandescents for wasting so much energy is actually an obama plot to mind control us all with CFLs

This is what people believe.

Needs More Ditka posted:

The republican is David Vitter, who remains the Senator from Louisiana, and he has been repeatedly caught in diapers with hookers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Vitter

• Locked thread