Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kai Tave posted:

So this Mythical Might guy is releasing an app...except he doesn't actually have a coder yet.

I could explain a bit of why this is ludicrous from a programming standpoint. But I don't see the need to, because I can just point to the fact that none of the reward tiers for the kickstarter give you anything tangible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Less than 24 Hours left on the KS for an expansion to the Best Wrestling RPG ever.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I think that judging from Mystic Might using the term Heartbreaker in the FAQ that it's probably just a joke and probably a joke made by somebody in this thread

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mojo Jojo posted:

I think that judging from Mystic Might using the term Heartbreaker in the FAQ that it's probably just a joke and probably a joke made by somebody in this thread

"Fantasy Heartbreaker" isn't a term limited to the Something Awful Traditional Games forum though, and if this is a joke then it's kind of an anemic one? A dude with no understanding of RPGs beyond D&D and D&D derivatives asking for $25k to make his dream RPG isn't actually some humorous exaggeration, if anything it's incredibly banal. It's vastly more likely that this guy is completely sincere and simply has no clue about anything from RPGs to app development to how to run a Kickstarter, with an outside chance of it being some sort of incredibly low-effort scam.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Now I'm imagining a Potato Salad-style KS for a game that's literally titled "Fantasy Heartbreaker" and raises all the red flags. By Gamers For Gamers. Lets you be ANYTHING YOU WANT. Uses a two d20. Claim to more realistic than D&D. Concept art of 20 different polearms. A sidebar on crossbows and plate encumbrance. A create-your-own-spell magic system. OSR compatibility. A tribute to Gary Gygax Dave Arneson as the REAL genius behind fantasy roleplaying. 50 dollars for a PDF.

And a risks section that's just "There's a risk this won't be completed!"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's too bad that Cards Against Humanity and Exploding Kittens have basically cornered the Ironic lovely Games market.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kai Tave posted:

It's too bad that Cards Against Humanity and Exploding Kittens have basically cornered the Ironic lovely Games market.

The C&H KS is catching up fast.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

gradenko_2000 posted:

Now I'm imagining a Potato Salad-style KS for a game that's literally titled "Fantasy Heartbreaker" and raises all the red flags. By Gamers For Gamers. Lets you be ANYTHING YOU WANT. Uses a two d20. Claim to more realistic than D&D. Concept art of 20 different polearms. A sidebar on crossbows and plate encumbrance. A create-your-own-spell magic system. OSR compatibility. A tribute to Gary Gygax Dave Arneson as the REAL genius behind fantasy roleplaying. 50 dollars for a PDF.

And a risks section that's just "There's a risk this won't be completed!"

Not only does Dungeons the Dragoning 40,000 7th Edition exist, but it's free. While it doesn't have an index, it does have a glossary at the back, and a very complete Table of Contents!
The dice system isn't 2d20, though...
It's roll and keep. :unsmigghh:

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

"Fantasy Heartbreaker" isn't a term limited to the Something Awful Traditional Games forum though, and if this is a joke then it's kind of an anemic one? A dude with no understanding of RPGs beyond D&D and D&D derivatives asking for $25k to make his dream RPG isn't actually some humorous exaggeration, if anything it's incredibly banal. It's vastly more likely that this guy is completely sincere and simply has no clue about anything from RPGs to app development to how to run a Kickstarter, with an outside chance of it being some sort of incredibly low-effort scam.

It's a term I don't think I've ever seen outside this forum and frankly there's almost no way that somebody self aware to know the term would also be able to make a kickstarter that ticked so many of the boxes

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mojo Jojo posted:

It's a term I don't think I've ever seen outside this forum and frankly there's almost no way that somebody self aware to know the term would also be able to make a kickstarter that ticked so many of the boxes

BEHOLD, the origin:

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/9/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mojo Jojo posted:

Googling the phrase brings up a bunch of mentions, including the article where it originated from.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It turns out that knowing a phrase Ron Edwards coined 14 years ago doesn't magically grant you a greater sense of self-awareness, who knew?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Did he put that question in the FAQ before or after someone mentioned it in the Reddit thread?

I could just see him getting asked, googling the term, completely failing to understand it, and adding it in on the KS page. Within about ten minutes, probably.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Did he put that question in the FAQ before or after someone mentioned it in the Reddit thread?
Definitely after; it's the same answer he gave someone about how his game isn't a heartbreaker because it doesn't have the same core classes or races as D&D.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mad Bob is back with some 1/56 French WW2 vehicles, with a handful of German early/mid-war tanks as stretch goals.

This is great news if you're a fan of some of the less popular vehicles, his line of Hungarian tanks filled some outstanding gaps at the time, and this one will potentially do the same.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Definitely after; it's the same answer he gave someone about how his game isn't a heartbreaker because it doesn't have the same core classes or races as D&D.

Ah. Well that explains away him using a term he can't have been aware of.

I was hoping it was just a lame joke as it is quite sad otherwise

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

Oh, hey, there's a Kickstarter thread.

I'm making an rpg with a non-goon buddy of mine. We put it up on Kickstarter a few weeks ago. Science-fantasy, fairly heavily inspired by anything by Jodorowsky. The Kickstarter is mainly so that we can illustrate our 270+ page rulebook (270 pages at the moment, it's still kinda growing as we add scenarios). The setting is original, and we're using our own system for it as well.

I didn't realise there was a Kickstarter thread on Trad. Games or I guess I would've posted this earlier. We got some people forwarded from forums.somethingawful.com but I couldn't find any mention of Emissary on the forum search. So, if you're reading this thread, thanks for the show of support, two goons who backed! :v:

quote:

Emissary is a science-fantasy roleplaying game where players take on the role of Emissaries, physically and spiritually the most powerful warriors in the known galaxy. Emissaries are forever pledged to maintain the political and economic balance of the Third Golden Empire and support the perpetual rule of the Divine Imperial Majesty. Their missions and adventures will take them across a rich galaxy, full of mystery, strife and political intrigue, forcing them to confront monumental tests of might, wisdom and cunning along the way.

Thematically, Emissary is very heavily influenced by Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Incal and Metabarons graphic novels, as well as Frank Herbert's Dune and Tsutomu Nihei's Blame and Biomega. However, inspiration is also taken from a wide range of cyberpunk, science fiction and fantasy settings, including the works of China Mieville, Iain M. Banks and Richard Morgan.

Link to the Kickstarter page.

Link to our website too.

Even though it seems like we're going to maybe reach our goal, any additional support would be genuinely appreciated since good artists are expensive.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Dire posted:

I'm making an rpg with a non-goon buddy of mine. We put it up on Kickstarter a few weeks ago. Science-fantasy, fairly heavily inspired by anything by Jodorowsky. The Kickstarter is mainly so that we can illustrate our 270+ page rulebook (270 pages at the moment, it's still kinda growing as we add scenarios). The setting is original, and we're using our own system for it as well.

I didn't realise there was a Kickstarter thread on Trad. Games or I guess I would've posted this earlier. We got some people forwarded from forums.somethingawful.com but I couldn't find any mention of Emissary on the forum search. So, if you're reading this thread, thanks for the show of support, two goons who backed! :v:

Even though it seems like we're going to maybe reach our goal, any additional support would be genuinely appreciated since good artists are expensive.

Ooh interesting, I love this kind of sci-fi and the art's wonderful. Backed!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The final 7th Sea 2nd ed sourcebook is Secret Societies, but Wick also announced he would do 7th Sea: Asia in 2017, which is going to be its own standalone (but fully compatible, naturally) core book about not-Asia. Waifus for everyone!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dire posted:

That looks really neat. Great art and fun concept. I'm in for the PDF.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Dire posted:

This looks like exactly what my group has been looking for, I'll jump in for the physical book soon.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
7th Sea 2e has now gotten big enough that Wick just announced he'll be doing a stand-alone product line about 7th Sea's equivalent of Asia:

quote:

Mark and I spent a long time considering the best way to tackle a sourcebook about the Far East. Eventually, we came to the conclusion that a single sourcebook wasn’t enough. We couldn’t do it justice. We wanted to do India, Japan and China… and China alone would be an entire book. Just 200 pages for all that real estate and all those cultures… it just wasn’t enough.

So, we made a hard decision. But also, an exciting one.

In 2017, we plan to launch 7th Sea: The East as it’s own 7th Sea brand. A 300 page full color stand alone core rulebook with 200 page supplements for every Nation.
And by “stand alone,” we mean you can play 7th Sea: The East without the standard 7th Sea rulebook. Of course, both books will also be fully compatible: you can play your Théan Heroes in The East and Eastern Heroes in Théah.

New Backgrounds, new Sorcery, new Fighting Styles! We’ll have rules for samurai, wuxia, heku and everything else, all from the perspective of people who live in the lands East of Théah!

What does that mean for our production schedule? A lot depends on how these sourcebooks go, but if our schedule holds, we’ll be teasing information about The East by the end of 2016! And assuming our schedule holds, we'll launch this new line sometime next year, once we've delivered most of the sourcebooks from this Kickstarter.

I'm way more interested in wuxia and chanbara 7th Sea than I am in boring square countries and European stereotypes 7th Sea.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
So am i but fantasy america and africa will hopefully be done well enough to tide me over.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I mean, how do we know that his take on Fantasy Asia won't just be stereotypes? Unlike LotFR, 7th Sea does an alt version of real countries so alt-China/Japan/Korea/etc. might be a played up stereotype.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The 7th Sea book list is so long now that I'm starting to feel skeptical. Will they have enough money? Enough time? Enough seas? I'm thinking seven seas may not be enough. They may need to add more seas.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Covok posted:

I mean, how do we know that his take on Fantasy Asia won't just be stereotypes?

It's going to be stereotypes, it's just that wuxia and chanbara stereotypes are more interesting than Three Musketeers stereotypes.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, but there are plenty of games that let you play Wuxia and Chambara stereotypes, the amount of games that are good for swashbuckling 3 Musketeers stuff is...slim.

(I am not saying that 7th Sea is on that list.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's impossible not to view this as primarily arising from Wick's boner for Orientalism.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The 7th Sea book list is so long now that I'm starting to feel skeptical. Will they have enough money? Enough time? Enough seas? I'm thinking seven seas may not be enough. They may need to add more seas.

The next expansion, 7th Sea: Global Warming adds an 8th in place of the North Pole.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Dire posted:

Oh sweet, Dire, I've been in for a couple days now and it's good to know it's someone on SA. Goon projects are generally a lot more trustworthy. That said, I was starting to consider canceling my pledge when I realized there is almost nothing about the system and how it works. Can you fill us in on that a bit?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

That said, I was starting to consider canceling my pledge when I realized there is almost nothing about the system and how it works. Can you fill us in on that a bit?

Indeed. The "no, we don't have a rules preview, and in fact we don't even have it in a form that would make sense to anyone" made it a big HELL NO for me. Either it's a huge mess or it's literally not done at all -- they only promise a "lite" form preview, which . . . yeah.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Oh sweet, Dire, I've been in for a couple days now and it's good to know it's someone on SA. Goon projects are generally a lot more trustworthy. That said, I was starting to consider canceling my pledge when I realized there is almost nothing about the system and how it works. Can you fill us in on that a bit?
Uh, the only failed kickstarter I've pledged was a goon kickstarter.

In fact, I think more of my goon than non-goon kickstarters have been seriously delayed.

Also remember Nightfall.

e:

There's some stuff about the system in the FAQ. It's a stat+skill 2d10 system, where stats and skills are rated 1-5.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 7, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

That Old Tree posted:

It's impossible not to view this as primarily arising from Wick's boner for Orientalism.

There's no way we're not getting an anachronistic version of Ching Shih, I imagine.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Uh, the only failed kickstarter I've pledged was a goon kickstarter.

In fact, I think more of my goon than non-goon kickstarters have been seriously delayed.

Also remember Nightfall.

Failed as in failed to deliver, or failed as in failed to fund? Pretty big difference.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Scyther posted:

Failed as in failed to deliver, or failed as in failed to fund? Pretty big difference.
Failed to deliver - Deck of Legends folded hard.

At best, I don't think goon kickstarters do any better than any other small-scale indie kickstarters. The only upside is that it's theoretically easier to get in touch with the creators.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's no way we're not getting an anachronistic version of Ching Shih, I imagine.

Her and Zheng He are two of China's most notable mariners so adding them anachronistically would be necessary.

It's also a shame the Mongols were out of power by that time period too since they don't get enough respect.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

It's also a shame the Mongols were out of power by that time period too since they don't get enough respect.

That's not going to stop Wick from throwing them in.

We'll probably get the world's most anachronistic mix of Jin dynasty, Wu Zetian and Mongols invading from the North for China, and then generic 17th century Edo with youkai thrown in for Japan.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I know it will never happen but i think it would funny if the soucrous lineages of not-japan would be some kind of magical girl/super sentai kind of thing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's not going to stop Wick from throwing them in.

We'll probably get the world's most anachronistic mix of Jin dynasty, Wu Zetian and Mongols invading from the North for China, and then generic 17th century Edo with youkai thrown in for Japan.

I'm looking forward to which racially charged epithet he adds to this version of Asia.

In L5R he used heinin as the name for the lower peasant class. While technically correct it would be like making an RPG set during the revolutionary war and referring to slaves as the n word. It means 'half-man' and is still in use to degrade an entire ethnic minority in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I wish the Backed Projects list would give me an option to say the kickstarter failed. Or automatically update me when the project starter throws in the towel.

• Locked thread