Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Nova prime is a dollar right now.

Buy it.

Bought it years ago but it can't do a semi-transparent notification bar on this phone.

Valeyard posted:

The only launcher you should be using is Google Now, and this should be on by default because you should also be using a phone with stock Android like the Nexus or even at a stretch the Moto line

Something annoyed me about the Now launcher when compared to Moto's launcher, but I forget what it was. I didn't really like swiping left going to Now when I could already just swipe from the drawer up. There was something else though. Maybe the Moto voice features didn't work? I forget.

Kreez posted:

My Moto X 2013 finally exploded.

Things I loved about the Moto X that I'm concerned about losing:
-Screen size and form factor
-AMOLED screen + Ambient Display notifications

I have a Droid Turbo 2 and I can do most things easily with one hand, and holding it up despite it being heavier only takes its toll after a long time. To be honest though, the Moto X 2014 was like the perfect size phone. Whenever I have to look at my wife's phone it just feels so good to hold.

Honestly I think you should go with the MXP if you can. If you miss ambient display, go with it. LCD isn't going to be a huge battery hit using it. I bet it's also a lot more comfortable and ergonomic to hold than the Droid Turbo 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Bought it years ago but it can't do a semi-transparent notification bar on this phone.

It can do it on a Galaxy Note, and that's from 2011. There can't be any tech reason for not doing something so basic any old pc could do it over 20 years ago.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I dunno, it's with how Nova goes about doing whatever it does. The default launcher notification bar is semi-transparent. With Nova all I get is black or fully transparent.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well they probably can't test all the cases so they disable it just in case to reduce bad reviews and support tickets.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nova's options even say that the transparent notification bar will only work if the phone lets it, so it's definitely a thing.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Nexus 5X now only $199 if you get on the GoogleFi train.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/project-fi-drops-invite-program-offers-150-off-a-nexus-5x-with-service/

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
There's no benefit to immediately disabling or trying to uninstall preloaded apps on a modern day smartphone. If they bother you that much simply hide them.

E: regarding the Galaxy push ads. Galaxy apps > settings > disable promotions. No more ads.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 7, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BottleKnight posted:

Hold down notification ad > click block notifications. TouchWiz is Not Good but the only part you'll ever actually have to deal with after disabling/replacing all of it (as long as you don't have a note or edge) is the notification shade and settings menu. Both are fine.

So yes, TouchWiz is garbage but, at least for me, it's not even close to a dealbreaker against getting the best screen.

Yeah, I realize it's easy to disable, and like I said you've got to weigh it against other benefits/disadvantages of the S7 vs whatever.

But, i mean, it's pretty loving egregious and it's hard for me to understand there not being more moaning about it. Like everyone who has mentioned it has just gone "oh well easy to disable".

For example, mobile website advertising completely fucks the user experience, but ad blocking is easy to do with Firefox + uBlock, but goddamn if I'm not going to tell everyone in the world about how loving awful websites ads are.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I realize it's easy to disable, and like I said you've got to weigh it against other benefits/disadvantages of the S7 vs whatever.

But, i mean, it's pretty loving egregious and it's hard for me to understand there not being more moaning about it. Like everyone who has mentioned it has just gone "oh well easy to disable".

For example, mobile website advertising completely fucks the user experience, but ad blocking is easy to do with Firefox + uBlock, but goddamn if I'm not going to tell everyone in the world about how loving awful websites ads are.

Rastor posted:

On my S7 there are zero ads so far. And I didn't even disable the Samsung apps, in my experience (of a few days) they do not display ads.

I know, goons are awful, they always say "welp works for me" but is there evidence this is a widespread thing?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Thermopyle posted:

The only thing I can think of is that with how awful the mobile web is, whenever you have to re-experience it you get really annoyed. Plus, with a lack of extensions in Chrome it really is an inconvenience that filters the way you use your phone actively, which is what makes it such a big deal. Whereas with TW, after about 1 hour of setting up your phone you, for the most part, never have to really interface with it again, so it's a little bit of upfront work to get rid of something that doesn't actively inconvenience you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ignore me

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

As much as I'd like to go on Google Fi (and I wouldn't even mind plunking down the few hundred for a new phone) I can't justify leaving the 20GB plan I have on Cricket, especially when Omaha doesn't get very good T-Mo service (It's spotty enough that they won't allow numbers with the area code to be ported in, and you have to given a zipcode for a town like 3 hours away to get them to stop asking for a valid city) so I'd be stuck eating Sprint turds in slow-mo all day.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 7, 2016

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Rastor posted:

I know, goons are awful, they always say "welp works for me" but is there evidence this is a widespread thing?

That looks like a S5-era ROM just eyeballing it so I dunno? I haven't seen any ads.

The most recent in-phone stock ROM ads tomfoolery might actually be thread smallphone critical darling Sony with Spiderman 2.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rastor posted:

I got the ad on my Note 5 today. I swiped it away in 1.5 seconds and went about my day. Life was not ruined. Life went on. I'm still a happy person. Shocking I know. And I sold my 6P last week. Le horror!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

But, i mean, it's pretty loving egregious and it's hard for me to understand there not being more moaning about it.
Low expectations.

Apple has an outright ban on using push notifications to send advertising. Really not surprised that Samsung is cashing in on it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Given that Google itself is a thinly-disguised advertising platform, I can certainly see Samsung gambling that this wouldn't send their Android customers out into the night with torches and pitchforks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HTC was pushing ads via blinkfeed as well.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I could certainly understand more bitching and moaning if it was a hidden feature you couldn't disable or had to do some convoluted workaround to get rid of. As far as advertising goes, a clearly labeled setting right on the front page of the settings menu that you only need to disable once is pretty hard to get worked up over.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I don't know, I woudn't be ok with my laptop all of sudden popping up ads in its notification shade, why should I tolerate it on my phone?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Butt Savage posted:

I don't know, I woudn't be ok with my laptop all of sudden popping up ads in its notification shade, why should I tolerate it on my phone?

You don't have to tolerate it, it literally takes less than 15 seconds to turn them off forever. Should it even be there in the first place? Of course not, but it's really not something I could see any rational person raging over.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

There's no rational people when it comes to phones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Butt Savage posted:

Windows 10 does this already. Welcome to the future!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

You don't have to tolerate it, it literally takes less than 15 seconds to turn them off forever. Should it even be there in the first place? Of course not, but it's really not something I could see any rational person raging over.

Quick! Everyone stop the madness!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Quick! Everyone stop the madness!

Hey man, just letting you know your s-pen has been detached.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

If it wasn't easy to disable, that'd be a whole other thing to get irritated over.

I feel like saying it's easy to disable misses the point over why it should be irritating.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

So does Samsung have their own app store like Amazon does or are we not to that level of bastardization yet?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

So does Samsung have their own app store like Amazon does or are we not to that level of bastardization yet?

It does!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

Windows 10 does this already. Welcome to the future!

People keep saying this but I have been running Windows 10 since release and I have yet to see literally any ad, ever.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Daily Forecast posted:

People keep saying this but I have been running Windows 10 since release and I have yet to see literally any ad, ever.

It pops up in the bottom right with ad links to office 365 if you don't have any office products installed and depending on the manufacturer you have ads for stuff like candy crush in the start menu unless you unpin them.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It did the office stuff for me like the first week but hasn't since. And did OneNote once. So maybe they adjusted it, or I hit the right setting somewhere. Still kind of silly but as is wasn't a big deal but would be if it kept it up for sure.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The windows 10 stuff is like the touchwiz bloat in that the first thing you should do is disable/uninstall as much of it as you can when you initially get the phone/computer.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

Also if you use Bing PotD for your lockscreen it will push ads there. They used to insert ads between locally stored tracks in the media player, don't know if that's still a thing.

In any case, it's still ironic as there are more native ads in the OS by Microsoft than there are in the OS made by an actual advertising company.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Not for paranoid reasons, but I disabled tons of windows 10 features with powershell scripts and registry hacks. I actually like 10 now that I found a way to unclutter it.

I am an HTC apologist, but blinkfeed sucked and I'm basically on a miniature nexus rom.

I have like 20 apps total atm including stuff like system apps and calc/camera

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I've been having this annoying issue lately where I can't dismiss an alarm without resetting my phone, seemingly.

Nexus 6P, no weird mods/root or anything. Any help?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

an skeleton posted:

I've been having this annoying issue lately where I can't dismiss an alarm without resetting my phone, seemingly.

Nexus 6P, no weird mods/root or anything. Any help?

Wait, what?

I'm guessing you're using the standard Clock app? What happens if you try a different alarm app? What happens when you use the OS-level function to dismiss the alarm prior to it going off? Does this happen with timers too? Does it matter how you set the alarm (via now, via the app, etc)?

This sounds crazy.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I'm interested in an xperia z5c. My understanding is that the United States model lacks the fingerprint reader, but it otherwise identicle to and has the same radio bands as the European model. So, where's a good place to look for an import? Or are there further caveats I should know about?

I've read that some people complain about the phone underperforming against its specs (slow, short-lived battery, etc) but I think that's attributable to the same wierd lovely problems that people seem to have on any model phone... There isn't any consensus that the z5c actually has deep issues, is there?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Eikre posted:

So, where's a good place to look for an import?

Clove is good for shipping UK stock internationally. Someone in this thread ordered a Z5C from there before it was available in the US at all, and it went fine.

https://www.clove.co.uk/sony-xperia-z5-compact

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Hey guys, I've been away from the phone scene since the holidays, when I bought 3 Blue Life One X phones as gifts. Everyone was very happy with the devices and the value. Is it still one of the best options in the $150-$200 bracket? The reviews of the Honor 5X make it look compelling with the glaring exceptions of the software and the lack of fingerprint coating on the screen. I've got more family members looking for advice. Thanks.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

That's what's pushing the notification ads in the first place. Apparently nobody (even those with Samsung phones) has pointed that out yet. On my Note 5, I'm signed into the Samsung store app and haven't had any ads. Probably a relatively new thing.
Still lovely. That's a thing I'd uninstall an app over, it'd certainly bother me about being baked into a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

Still lovely. That's a thing I'd uninstall an app over, it'd certainly bother me about being baked into a phone.

Years ago there was a service that app makers started using that did push notifications showing advertising. The uproar here was tremendous even though there were relatively easy ways to disable them.