Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
"Wayne Rooney may be smarter than you but he'll never be half as handsome as you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Just lie and tell them what they want to hear.

"I love you more than dosh."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Takes No Damage posted:

Also checkin out this synthwavewhatever stuff being posted, I loved the first Hotline Miami soundtrack so always looking for more of that.

if you love HLM check out other stuff by the same artists because there's a lot of good stuff those same people have made not on HLM (and I like HLM too) and then you look at related artists and then you look at Youtube playlists and then it's all over. (There's actually a pretty good channel on Youtube for finding some of this stuff, I forget what it's called but if you ever google any synthwave you'll see it somewhere in there)

also here are some other things in my playlist
https://soundcloud.com/red-marker/red-marker-dmc-12-gauge
https://soundcloud.com/volkor-x/sets/masked-death-ep

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Small patch today.

quote:

Small update today. This update allows us to capture much more accurate data to help balance perks and game play.

This update is a new version number and requires server and clients to update.

General
Improvements to analytics collection system

Balance
Damage on Hans attacks has been reduced on the Hard difficulty setting

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Plan Z posted:

Small patch today.

I'm honestly impressed!

I may actually reinstall and test this out over the weekend.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I would put Screaming Females on shuffle when I used to play this game.

Also you have no one to blame but yourself Psion; I already told you the drops are worth nothing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That Hans fix is interesting to me since it's difficulty-level specific. Was that an identified bug that was fixed ("Hans was not meant to be that powerful as per our difficulty scaling from normal-HOE"), or a balance tweak based on feedback?

I mean it's two sides of the same coin, I guess I'm asking was an actual bug fixed in the difficulty scaling that manifested on Hard, or was the Hard value just changed as part of balancing?

UnknownMercenary posted:

I would put Screaming Females on shuffle when I used to play this game.

Also you have no one to blame but yourself Psion; I already told you the drops are worth nothing.

you told me after I started the round, I still blame you! The alternative is blaming myself for my own bad decisions and that, obviously, isn't acceptable :v:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Psion posted:

That Hans fix is interesting to me since it's difficulty-level specific. Was that an identified bug that was fixed ("Hans was not meant to be that powerful as per our difficulty scaling from normal-HOE"), or a balance tweak based on feedback?

I mean it's two sides of the same coin, I guess I'm asking was an actual bug fixed in the difficulty scaling that manifested on Hard, or was the Hard value just changed as part of balancing?

you told me after I started the round, I still blame you! The alternative is blaming myself for my own bad decisions and that, obviously, isn't acceptable :v:

That data they posted in the previous news update showed a really, really uneven amount of people beating Pat vs. Beating Hans on Hard:

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 3, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah - I don't doubt Hans on Hard was loving broken, see my post history, haha

I was just curious as to the underlying mechanism for the fix.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Yeah, exactly that. Data driven balance tweak while we continue to iterate on making the fight itself more fun.

The data we're collecting is driving some really important design discussion and most importantly it is going to allow us to see if the changes we make have the intended effect. One thing I've seen repeated in this thread a lot was "It's early access, just push a change and see if it helps/hurts!" The improved analytic system is really going to help us confirm if a change helped address a problem or if it had an unexpected consequence on another difficulty or game length.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The higher clear rate on higher difficulties just due to better players you think?

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
its funny because I've Soloed Hans on Hard after a team wipe, and although it was boring kiting, was able to take him down no problem.
The moment I stepped into Suicidal though Hans delivers a serious beat down.
Suicidal and above players a more likely to switch to perks that can beat Hans for the sake of the game I think though. I am stubborn so I stay with my perk till the end.
Demo wipe!

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The higher clear rate on higher difficulties just due to better players you think?

I'm sure that's one of the factors. Also, on average, players on Suicidal have higher perk levels and some of those passive and active perk abilities REALLY change the game. There's totally different data that we collect on if the group clears the waves and if not what wave they're wiping on. When a good team that has no problem getting through the waves eats poo poo on the boss that let's you know something it up. You see some really interesting trends with that information and I'm hoping Yoshiro or someone can post it in the near future.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Stats tracking is actually one of my favorite things about games. When BF2 and GTAIII came out I would often just visit my stats page to stare at the numbers. Please at some point give us excessive stats pages to look at, I need to know exactly how many steps I've taken. Also make stats and graphs per match in my match history. I want to watch my inane gameplay number change...

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Stats tracking is actually one of my favorite things about games. When BF2 and GTAIII came out I would often just visit my stats page to stare at the numbers. Please at some point give us excessive stats pages to look at, I need to know exactly how many steps I've taken. Also make stats and graphs per match in my match history. I want to watch my inane gameplay number change...

yes, I agree on this. Total bloat kills and crap like that. like the end of a game but compiled on a menu option somewhere please. I want to know how many headshots to skrakes i make and the percetage to hit

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Questioner86 posted:

When a good team that has no problem getting through the waves eats poo poo on the boss that let's you know something it up.

my kf2 experience.txt

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Psion posted:

my kf2 experience.txt

Right. I'm happy that they're willing to throw out a quick balance change, now. Hopefully the stat system can add that. Anyway, here's a video we've been talking about for a while among our group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCibcVrDcFE

That's a 74-possibly-more shot. He tapped the Shadowplay button before our following conversation where we all confirmed it wasn't melee. It looked more like a grenade, but nobody could really tell. Wondering if anyone else had any ideas.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Plan Z posted:

Right. I'm happy that they're willing to throw out a quick balance change, now. Hopefully the stat system can add that. Anyway, here's a video we've been talking about for a while among our group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCibcVrDcFE

That's a 74-possibly-more shot. He tapped the Shadowplay button before our following conversation where we all confirmed it wasn't melee. It looked more like a grenade, but nobody could really tell. Wondering if anyone else had any ideas.

standing on a couple of grenades will do that

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Questioner86 posted:

When a good team that has no problem getting through the waves eats poo poo on the boss that let's you know something it up.

Sounds so eerily familiar...

Now promise me you'll use these stat tracking powers for good! Not for minuscule buffs and nerfs that nobody notices, like so many companies do.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't really have a whole lot to contribute to the whole Hans conversation, but I will say dying to a wave of zombies is way more fun than dying to a boss.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Plan Z posted:

Small patch today.
This is good thing. I can appreciate Christmas miracles even if they're a bit late.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

She Bangs the Drums posted:

standing on a couple of grenades will do that

haha you didn't watch that poo poo at all

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Coolguye posted:

haha you didn't watch that poo poo at all

This got me curious enough to watch. We can see at least one grenade to Sykic's right, shortly before he dies. He also dies immediately after we hear an explosion. Grenade base damage is allegedly 95. I'd love to see this from a different angle, but if I had to make a guess, I'd say it was grenades, too. I really can't think of what else it would be.

It almost certainly isn't guns, since we'd hear them, and they wouldn't be instant. And melee is the only other thing that can spike for comparable damage. I'm assuming Hans, being a master of grenade lobbing, managed to throw a handful of grenades right in front of Sykic, so that they exploded once he was slightly in front of them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it wasn't grenades, it was grenade

a grenade that fell at his feet and he sprinted away from full blast

it's not like he was slowed from injury either since he had 80+ health

this sort of bullshit is the reason hans feels stupid and arbitrary instead of exciting and fun

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Coolguye posted:

it wasn't grenades, it was grenade

a grenade that fell at his feet and he sprinted away from full blast

it's not like he was slowed from injury either since he had 80+ health

this sort of bullshit is the reason hans feels stupid and arbitrary instead of exciting and fun

Yeah. Agreed. If that was just one grenade, then... Yeah. I guess Hans decided to focus on Sykic and perfectly calculate the throw he'd need to land a grenade that would explode when Sykic was right on top of it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Yeah. Agreed. If that was just one grenade, then... Yeah. I guess Hans decided to focus on Sykic and perfectly calculate the throw he'd need to land a grenade that would explode when Sykic was right on top of it.

We've certainly got circumstantial evidence of that happening, like when he fired a perfect parabolic arc of grenades over the house on Farmhouse - literally no chance of LOS and yet they dropped right into someone's lap like a precision-guided bomb. IIRC a moving player, no less.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you can also hear the electronic noises of the first grenade as it arms and ticks down its fuse

you hear no such alert again after the one that falls next to sykic's right foot

it was grenade - singular. there is no real evidence to the contrary.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Plan Z posted:

Make a Mr/Mrs. Foster Valentine's card and it would take effort to keep my wallet closed.

Printable version:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Questioner86 posted:

I'm sure that's one of the factors. Also, on average, players on Suicidal have higher perk levels and some of those passive and active perk abilities REALLY change the game. There's totally different data that we collect on if the group clears the waves and if not what wave they're wiping on. When a good team that has no problem getting through the waves eats poo poo on the boss that let's you know something it up. You see some really interesting trends with that information and I'm hoping Yoshiro or someone can post it in the near future.

Just anecdotally, my friends and I play Hell on Earth regularly and can beat Hans about 3 out of 5 times, but our winning strategy always involves having at least a berserker and a medic. If we really want the map achievement, then it goes to 2 medics and 2 berserkers. We can beat Hans with that team comp, but the fight is always an unenjoyable, drawn-out slog.

So I hope you take a look into the other factors besides win-rate, particularly perk composition for those wins. If usage of some perks suddenly drop off by the time the boss round rolls around and players feel obligated to pick certain other perks just to win, then it definitely could still use some tweaking.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea 2 zerks lock down hands pretty hard since they can switch out, you don't even need the 2 medics I've done it with one.

I'm ALMOST certain that if you go all gun classes you'll all die.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

Printable version:

These own.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Since we all know Hans sucks big time, maybe it would help to look at it more constructively, since he sucks in a lot of different, interesting ways.

For starters, he shouldn't have an invuln that only ends when he damages someone, period--let alone two of them. He should just not have a healing phase and I don't really understand why he does in the first place. If you want him to have X amount of hit points, and then turn orange and red at a certain percentage, just do that. His life drain attack should be something that randomly procs at best. Have more duders come in automatically when he reaches X health. Easy. The whole meta of "OK who is going to intentionally feed Hans this time so we can get on with this fight?" is ridiculous.

Second, enough with the loving grenades. The only way to fight Hans right now if you don't have a very good zerker is to kite him, and it takes loving forever because Hans' AI can't handle this tactic at all, but you can only stop to shoot him in a really short window of opportunity. I have had to gently tell people to either attack Hans or get on with it and die.

It's totally lame that Hans has every attack one can think of. Frag grenades, smoke grenades, poison grenades, machine gun, swords, life drain. I'm surprised they didn't give him eye beams. He is pretty much a Mary Sue. Really he should be about poison damage, he's wearing a neurotoxin exosuit for crying out loud, but the way he uses it is boring--gas grenades that are easy to step out of the way of, do almost no damage, and are just boring bile hits. If you're going to make a tongue-in-cheek Dr. Mengele, go all or nothing on that theme.

If you had him stop constantly throwing nades he would also be a lot less annoying to listen to, which is an added bonus.

When I get killed by Patty I feel like I deserve it and/or it's really funny because I rag-doll 3,000 feet. Getting killed by Hans is a sweet release so I can kick it on somethingawful threads while my comrades try to fight entropy.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Since we all know Hans sucks big time, maybe it would help to look at it more constructively, since he sucks in a lot of different, interesting ways.

For starters, he shouldn't have an invuln that only ends when he damages someone, period--let alone two of them. He should just not have a healing phase and I don't really understand why he does in the first place. If you want him to have X amount of hit points, and then turn orange and red at a certain percentage, just do that. His life drain attack should be something that randomly procs at best. Have more duders come in automatically when he reaches X health. Easy. The whole meta of "OK who is going to intentionally feed Hans this time so we can get on with this fight?" is ridiculous.

Second, enough with the loving grenades. The only way to fight Hans right now if you don't have a very good zerker is to kite him, and it takes loving forever because Hans' AI can't handle this tactic at all, but you can only stop to shoot him in a really short window of opportunity. I have had to gently tell people to either attack Hans or get on with it and die.

It's totally lame that Hans has every attack one can think of. Frag grenades, smoke grenades, poison grenades, machine gun, swords, life drain. I'm surprised they didn't give him eye beams. He is pretty much a Mary Sue. Really he should be about poison damage, he's wearing a neurotoxin exosuit for crying out loud, but the way he uses it is boring--gas grenades that are easy to step out of the way of, do almost no damage, and are just boring bile hits. If you're going to make a tongue-in-cheek Dr. Mengele, go all or nothing on that theme.

If you had him stop constantly throwing nades he would also be a lot less annoying to listen to, which is an added bonus.

When I get killed by Patty I feel like I deserve it and/or it's really funny because I rag-doll 3,000 feet. Getting killed by Hans is a sweet release so I can kick it on somethingawful threads while my comrades try to fight entropy.

Well, from my understanding it always was "let's make the ANTI-Patriarch" when it comes down to Hans. He got the invulnerability and the heal phase, because Patty could have been killed while he ran away trying to heal. He got the lobbed, long fuse grenades because Patty had ONE IN THE PIPE :byodood: He got a Melee combo because Patty had just single swipes. He's thin cause Patty was buff. He got small guns cause Patty has the big ones. And he's alone because Patty called in for help often. And he hunts players cause he was supposed to be in your face all the time, unlike Patty who runs away when damaged enough.

And all of this is fine on it's own, I like that they're trying to spice up the game with diffrent playstyle bosses. But the devil's in the details, like damage numbers, and the fact that the loving grenades home in from across the universe with deadly precision. The melee attacks (which we know have been nerfed and that's good) combined with the precision of grenades, PLUS the fact that the fucker has loads of metal armor that bounces off shots, makes him seem unfair and not fun.

But I don't think that the design is flawed in itself, it's just that this wimpy looking, half dead old fart ultimately takes on more bullets to kill then the Patriach, who is a big hulking monstrosity who isn't even the only thing you shoot at during the fight. I've yet to resort to shooting Patty with my 9mm because all my weapons run dry, while with Hans it happens 3 out of 4 times. And it's all down to the numbers, and the fact that Support weapons, even with 300% penetration bonus, can't penetrate the loving metal armor which I hate with a burning passion.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are few things more depressing than circling around Hans to avoid the grenade toss and watching them fly 90 degrees perpendicular to the trajectory of his throw, directly at your face.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

So they are adding versus mode in

http://www.destructoid.com/a-versus...medium=facebook

I feel like TWI forgot why people liked KF1

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

alg posted:

So they are adding versus mode in

http://www.destructoid.com/a-versus...medium=facebook

I feel like TWI forgot why people liked KF1

Yeah, that's something I will try once out of curiosity and then probably never pick up again.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Glad Tripwire's priorities appear to be in order.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Now not only will Volter still tear you a new rear end in a top hat, he'll call your a scrub human being while doing it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

what's the current level boost map of choice because I should probably :effort: my way to gunslinger 25 before sharp comes out

I've leveled enough classes legitimately that I don't really care anymore

Sykic posted:

Now not only will Volter still tear you a new rear end in a top hat, he'll call your a scrub human being while doing it.

at least pubbie Hans might be killable due to incompetence versus malicious AI kill_all_players.exe targeting

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Glad Tripwire's priorities appear to be in order.