Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
thread: redeemed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

:captainpop:

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

And with that, Baloogan has redeemed himself entirely in my eyes. Well done, good sir!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i decline to comment

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I cannot believe this has been created

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

:vince:

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
holy gently caress

thank you so much

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
All I did was press the little question-mark button and copy pasted a pile, its 100% avshalom's posts/poetry. please let me know if there is anything you want removed / added / modified / take-the-site-down.

This part http://bookofariel.com/chapter2 I think is important for people who post in and lurk Israel-Palestine threads to fully understand.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I can't seem to find the rant which contained my favourite avshalom phrase and got me on board with his/her(?) gimmick

"The history of Israel after 1940 is simple and straightforward. From the wastelands of Belarus came a single tiny seed of hope. It was borne over the sea and flourished into a mighty oak, its canopy growing wide and strong beneath the buttery Israeli sun, its roots feasting on the rich alluvial dirt of the Holy Land. In its branches the Jewish people nested like little squirrels, held safe miles above the prowling jackals (Islam) that wanted to devour them. They grew fat on that noble tree's acorns. Its verdant greenery shielded them from the harsh days and the cold nights, the driving rain and the Palestinian rockets. Even after it was felled, its corpse provided a shelter for tiny woodland animals and insects; its hollow trunk became a jungle of emerald moss and glorious fungi, those phallic fingers of the Lord. One day a lusty Jewess came along and rubbed her vagina on it. Obviously the tree is a metaphor for Ariel Sharon, but the vagina isn't a metaphor for anything, it's just my vagina, and now I throw my labia aside like curtains of roseate skin and implore his roots (penis) to spread inside me. I am naked and polished by the morning dew. With a shriek of lust I lower myself down onto his tombstone and encase it in my womanhood. The touch of the granite or whatever is tantalisingly cool, rough as a cat's tongue; it is wonderfully hard, so hard that even the stony spur of my clitoris can't wear it down, so hard that it will stand as testament to his memory long after you have crumbled away to dust. No living woman can withstand the force of my love. While adhering to the confines of tzniut, I am nevertheless more naked and more beautiful than any man has ever been, my powerful aroused body as mighty as an empire. My vagina flutes. I, too, am a tree. I am a king tide. I am a sexual stormcloud just before the rain; simmering lightning electrifies every nerve in my body as I orgasm, my erection soaring skyward, my semen a blaze of white phosphorus. I am a lioness, fierce and golden as the desert sands! Take me, Ariel! Take me! I'll gently caress you back to life and together we'll take back the wretched Levant, together we will rule! But Ariel is silent. The time has not yet come. His inaccessibility only arouses me further. I cum once, twice, half a dozen times; then I subside, drained and sexually fulfilled, and in that moment I feel the hand of HaShem caress my flaccid cock. Hope this helps!"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The best thing to ever come out of any of these threads

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

team overhead smash posted:

I can't seem to find the rant which contained my favourite avshalom phrase and got me on board with his/her(?) gimmick

"The history of Israel after 1940 is simple and straightforward. From the wastelands of Belarus came a single tiny seed of hope. It was borne over the sea and flourished into a mighty oak, its canopy growing wide and strong beneath the buttery Israeli sun, its roots feasting on the rich alluvial dirt of the Holy Land. In its branches the Jewish people nested like little squirrels, held safe miles above the prowling jackals (Islam) that wanted to devour them. They grew fat on that noble tree's acorns. Its verdant greenery shielded them from the harsh days and the cold nights, the driving rain and the Palestinian rockets. Even after it was felled, its corpse provided a shelter for tiny woodland animals and insects; its hollow trunk became a jungle of emerald moss and glorious fungi, those phallic fingers of the Lord. One day a lusty Jewess came along and rubbed her vagina on it. Obviously the tree is a metaphor for Ariel Sharon, but the vagina isn't a metaphor for anything, it's just my vagina, and now I throw my labia aside like curtains of roseate skin and implore his roots (penis) to spread inside me. I am naked and polished by the morning dew. With a shriek of lust I lower myself down onto his tombstone and encase it in my womanhood. The touch of the granite or whatever is tantalisingly cool, rough as a cat's tongue; it is wonderfully hard, so hard that even the stony spur of my clitoris can't wear it down, so hard that it will stand as testament to his memory long after you have crumbled away to dust. No living woman can withstand the force of my love. While adhering to the confines of tzniut, I am nevertheless more naked and more beautiful than any man has ever been, my powerful aroused body as mighty as an empire. My vagina flutes. I, too, am a tree. I am a king tide. I am a sexual stormcloud just before the rain; simmering lightning electrifies every nerve in my body as I orgasm, my erection soaring skyward, my semen a blaze of white phosphorus. I am a lioness, fierce and golden as the desert sands! Take me, Ariel! Take me! I'll gently caress you back to life and together we'll take back the wretched Levant, together we will rule! But Ariel is silent. The time has not yet come. His inaccessibility only arouses me further. I cum once, twice, half a dozen times; then I subside, drained and sexually fulfilled, and in that moment I feel the hand of HaShem caress my flaccid cock. Hope this helps!"

Yeah one of my favorite verses too! I had that in the 'unorganized' pile, added ch9-12 http://bookofariel.com/chapter9

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
for a long time this was the worst thread on SA now it has become really good

Anyone see how the palestinians killed that Hamas leader for being gay recently or whatever?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

This is hilarious but also a bit creepy. I hope you'd take it down if she asked you to... not everyone wants to be a prophet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think that's a problem.

Baloogan posted:

May I collect your semi-occasional, radiant poetry, in order to better understand Ariel?

Avshalom posted:

Collect it and spread it, comrade! He pleaded with me to deliver the truth and that's what I'm going to do.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I hope you'd take it down if she asked you to... not everyone wants to be a prophet.

Yes, of course.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

All I want now is for Avshalom's post history to become a semi-famous thing attached to the peace process for whatever reason. Something that not a lot of people would know about, but any history scholar who studied the process would know about.

Like there would be a history lecture in Tel Aviv in the year 2107, and a Palestinian student would lean over to the Jew next to him and whisper the words "I have never been so naked..." and the Jew would barely be able to suppress audible laughter.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
... and their Romani professor would glare sternly at the pair before continuing ...

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Baloogan posted:

... and their Romani professor would glare sternly at the pair before continuing ...

...And that Romani professor was Albert Einstein.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

hakimashou posted:

for a long time this was the worst thread on SA now it has become really good

Anyone see how the palestinians killed that Hamas leader for being gay recently or whatever?

Stop making GBS threads up the Avshalom thread, dumbass.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
whyyy

http://www.wsj.com/articles/white-house-working-on-renewed-mideast-peace-push-1457389793

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Didn't we agree to copy paste stuff behind a subscriber gate? Or was the headline the only relevant part, and the link unnecessary?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It was mostly just the headline. Don't know why they want to re-start negotiations in the final year of his term at a time when Netanyahu won't even meet with him.

quote:

The White House is working on plans for reviving long-stalled Middle East negotiations before President Barack Obama leaves office, including a possible United Nations Security Council resolution that would outline steps toward a deal between the Israelis and Palestinians, according to senior U.S. officials.

The internal discussions are aimed at offering a blueprint for future Israeli-Palestinian talks in a bid to advance a critical foreign-policy initiative that has made little progress during Mr. Obama’s two terms in the White House, the officials said.

The strongest element on the list of options under consideration would be U.S. support for a Security Council resolution calling on both sides to compromise on key issues, something Israel had opposed and Washington has repeatedly vetoed in the past.

Other initiatives could include a presidential speech and a joint statement from the Middle East Quartet, an international group comprising the U.S., the United Nations, the European Union and Russia.

A senior administration official said no final decisions have been made and that Mr. Obama is considering a range of possibilities. The timing of any new White House move hasn’t been determined, but officials said it would be later this year.

The White House offered Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu a meeting with Mr. Obama later this month, but Mr. Netanyahu declined, administration officials said Monday.

By wading into the Israeli-Palestinian conflict during the final months of his presidency, Mr. Obama would be following a path some of his predecessors have taken. Former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush both pushed for an agreement late in their second terms, but neither was able to bridge longtime divisions between the two sides.

For Mr. Obama, the effort would represent an uphill climb. Any initiative that doesn’t immediately enlist the two sides is unlikely to gain traction, especially after the last round of U.S.-brokered talks broke down in 2014 amid arguments over land swaps and prisoner exchanges.

U.S. officials said the president wants to put the issue on a more promising trajectory before his successor takes office in January. The recent increase in tensions between the Israelis and Palestinians has significantly dimmed the prospects of a deal and raised concerns within the White House that the situation could further deteriorate without any platform for negotiations.

Details of a new tack by the administration are in flux, officials said. But in one scenario, the U.S. would push Israel to halt construction of settlements in the Palestinian territories and recognize East Jerusalem as the capital of a Palestinian state, a key Palestinian demand.

Palestinians would in turn be asked to recognize Israel as a Jewish state and end claims on a right of return for Palestinian refugees.

Under that scenario, the administration also would recommend the establishment of two states based on the 1949 armistice line between the armies of Israel and its Arab neighbors. Like proposals in previous rounds of negotiations, the approach would recommend land swaps to account for Israeli settlements built since 1967.

The White House discussions come as Vice President Joe Biden begins a visit Tuesday to Israel and the West Bank. Mr. Biden will meet with Mr. Netanyahu and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, though he isn’t expected to propose major initiatives, a senior administration official said in previewing the vice president’s trip.

An official in Mr. Netanyahu’s office declined to comment on White House plans.

Palestinian officials said they would welcome an intervention from Mr. Obama before he leaves office, adding an end to settlement building would be required to make a two-state solution possible.

“Over the next 10 months, President Obama could be the savior of the two-state solution or bury it,” said Husam Zomlot, a senior aide to Mr. Abbas.

“This is no time for small measures. Let’s put in place the foundation for the next administration,” he added.

The current discussions are a pivot for the White House, where officials—including Mr. Obama—have expressed deep skepticism about the likelihood of a return to peace talks before January 2017. The efforts under discussion aren’t likely to improve those prospects.

Mr. Obama’s final appearance at the annual U.N. General Assembly this fall could provide a platform for outlining a new approach.

“As it relates to the possibility for a major push on a two-state outcome, it remains our view that there is no other viable outcome other than a two-state” solution, the official said. “But I’ll be candid with you, and U.S. officials have been saying this now for quite some time: We don’t think we’re on the brink of a breakthrough in this area.”

Mounting a push for a Security Council resolution would be a significant shift in U.S. policy and one the Israeli government has feared could marshal international sentiment in a way that could make it harder to resist making concessions. Such a move could further strain already tense relations between Messrs. Obama and Netanyahu, who have clashed over U.S. diplomacy with Iran and the administration’s past attempts to forge a Middle East peace agreement.

Last year, the White House threatened to allow action at the U.N. to proceed without objection from the U.S. after Mr. Netanyahu said during his re-election campaign that he wouldn’t support a two-state solution. The Israeli leader subsequently walked back his statement, and the White House didn’t follow through with its threat.

Successive Democratic and Republican administrations have vetoed dozens of Security Council resolutions critical of Israel. The Obama administration vetoed a Security Council resolution in 2011 that declared Israeli settlements in the West Bank illegal.

The White House discussions have unfolded alongside other international initiatives to jump-start talks as officials from the U.N., EU and the Quartet become increasingly frustrated with both sides’ unwillingness to compromise.

France has said it would recognize a Palestinian state if a last attempt to bring the two sides together through an international conference fails, a stance Mr. Netanyahu has rejected as one-sided. Last month the Quartet said it would start drawing up recommendations on how to move forward on a two-state solution.

The worst violence between the two sides in a decade has raged across Israel and the Palestinian territories since September. Lone-wolf Palestinian assailants have killed some 30 Israeli civilians and soldiers in more than 300 attacks, according to Israel’s foreign ministry.

More than 150 Palestinians, mostly alleged attackers, have also been killed by Israeli security forces, according to Palestinian officials.

Palestinian officials say the assailants are disenfranchised under Israeli occupation and see no way to a political solution. Israeli officials argue that incitement by Palestinian leaders and online sources is spurring youth to violence.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

edit: that's never happened before

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Xandu posted:

It was mostly just the headline. Don't know why they want to re-start negotiations in the final year of his term at a time when Netanyahu won't even meet with him.

It's a purely political move with no serious expectation of real progress. Israel has already been stalling defense aid agreements with the hope of potentially getting a better deal under the next administration, and if they're even dragging their feet on aid then they certainly won't be in any rush to give concessions. However, Obama might be looking to change the situation a bit before his successor arrives, and he needs a negotiation attempt to act as his excuse for doing that. Also, starting a new round of negotiations with Israel at thw right time could have a sizeable effect on the elections - after all, this is the first peace negotiations attempt since Netanyahu made his Iran speech at the Republicans' invitation, which was a pretty big deal in the US.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I wonder if it interferes with something else happening behind the scenes in the Syrian Civil War (you know, because things can always get more complicated).

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Xandu posted:

Because letting France take the lead on the issue would hurt America's big boy pride.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Pew Research Group has conducted a major, in-depth survey of Israeli attitudes. It's quite detailed, so I'll probably be digging through it for most of the day, but there's a few headliners that I might as well get out of the way now:

- There's basically an even split between religious Jews and secular Jews in Israel. The former tend to believe that the Jewishness of the state should take precedence over its democracy and tend to support legislating religion, while the latter believe that democracy is more important and should take precedence over Jewish principles. More religious Jews also tend to lean politically more to the right.

- 76% of Israeli Jews think that it's possible for Israel to be both a Jewish state and a democratic state at the same time; only 27% of Israeli Arabs agree. Israeli Jews overwhelmingly believe that the Palestinian leadership is not genuinely trying to work toward peace, while Israeli Arabs overwhelmingly believe that the Israeli government is not genuinely trying to work towards peace.

- A huge majority of Israeli Jews believe that anti-Semitism is very common all over the world and actively increasing, and an overwhelming majority believe that the existence of a Jewish state is necessary for the long-term survival of the Jewish people. Virtually all Israeli Jews (98%) support guaranteed immediate citizenship in Israel for all Jewish immigrants, and 79% of Israeli Jews believe that Israel should give preferential treatment to Jews in general.

- 48% of Israeli Jews say that Arabs should be expelled from Israel, while 46% disagree.

Like I said, I'll be digging through this for a while, so expect more details (and other interesting factoids less likely to make the headlines) later.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i normally like roger cohen, but just :fuckoff: dude

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/08/opinion/an-anti-semitism-of-the-left.html

quote:

LONDON — Last month, a co-chairman of the Oxford University Labour Club, Alex Chalmers, quit in protest at what he described as rampant anti-Semitism among members. A “large proportion” of the club “and the student left in Oxford more generally have some kind of problem with Jews,” he said in a statement.

Chalmers referred to members of the executive committee “throwing around the term ‘Zio’” — an insult used by the Ku Klux Klan; high-level expressions of “solidarity with Hamas” and explicit defense of “their tactics of indiscriminately murdering civilians”; and the dismissal of any concern about anti-Semitism as “just the Zionists crying wolf.”

The zeitgeist on campuses these days, on both sides of the Atlantic, is one of identity and liberation politics. Jews, of course, are a minority, but through a fashionable cultural prism they are seen as the minority that isn’t — that is to say white, privileged and identified with an “imperialist-colonialist” state, Israel. They are the anti-victims in a prevalent culture of victimhood; Jews, it seems, are the sole historical victim whose claim is dubious.

A recent Oberlin alumna, Isabel Storch Sherrell, wrote in a Facebook post of the students she’d heard dismissing the Holocaust as mere “white on white crime.” As reported by David Bernstein in The Washington Post, she wrote of Jewish students, “Our struggle does not intersect with other forms of racism.”

Noa Lessof-Gendler, a student at Cambridge University, complained last month in Varsity, a campus newspaper, that anti-Semitism was felt “in the word ‘Zio’” flung around in left-wing groups.” She wrote, “I’m Jewish, but that doesn’t mean I have Palestinian blood on my hands,” or should feel nervous “about conversations in Hall when an Israeli speaker visits.”

The rise of the leftist Jeremy Corbyn to the leadership of Britain’s opposition Labour Party appears to have empowered a far left for whom support of the Palestinians is uncritical and for whom, in the words of Alan Johnson, a British political theorist, “that which the demonological Jew once was, demonological Israel now is.”

Corbyn is no anti-Semite. But he has called Hamas and Hezbollah agents of “long-term peace and social justice and political justice in the whole region,” and once invited to Parliament a Palestinian Islamist, Raed Salah, who has suggested Jews were absent from the World Trade Center on 9/11. Corbyn called him an “honored citizen.” The “Corbynistas” on British campuses extol their fight against the “racist colonization of Palestine,” as one Oxford student, James Elliott, put it. Elliott was narrowly defeated last month in a bid to become youth representative on Labour’s national executive committee.

What is striking about the anti-Zionism derangement syndrome that spills over into anti-Semitism is its ahistorical nature. It denies the long Jewish presence in, and bond with, the Holy Land. It disregards the fundamental link between murderous European anti-Semitism and the decision of surviving Jews to embrace Zionism in the conviction that only a Jewish homeland could keep them safe. It dismisses the legal basis for the modern Jewish state in United Nations Resolution 181 of 1947. This was not “colonialism” but the post-Holocaust will of the world: Arab armies went to war against it and lost.

As Simon Schama, the historian, put it last month in The Financial Times, the Israel of 1948 came into being as a result of the “centuries-long dehumanization of the Jews.”

The Jewish state was needed. History had demonstrated that. That is why I am a Zionist — now a dirty word in Europe.

Today, it is Palestinians in the West Bank who are dehumanized through Israeli dominion, settlement expansion and violence. The West Bank is the tomb of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state. Palestinians, in turn, incite against Jews and resort to violence, including random stabbings.

The oppression of Palestinians should trouble every Jewish conscience. But nothing can justify the odious “anti-Semitic anti-Zionism” (Johnson’s term) that caused Chalmers to quit and is seeping into British and American campuses.

I talked to Aaron Simons, an Oxford student who was president of the university’s Jewish society. “There’s an odd mental noise,” he said. “In tone and attitude the way you are talked to as a Jew in these left political circles reeks of hostility. These people have an astonishingly high bar for what constitutes anti-Semitism.”

Johnson, writing in Fathom Journal, outlined three components to left-wing anti-Semitic anti-Zionism. First, “the abolition of the Jewish homeland; not Palestine alongside Israel, but Palestine instead of Israel.” Second, “a demonizing intellectual discourse” that holds that “Zionism is racism” and pursues the “systematic Nazification of Israel.” Third, a global social movement to “exclude one state — and only one state — from the economic, cultural and educational life of humanity.”

Criticism of Israel is one thing; it’s needed in vigorous form. Demonization of Israel is another, a familiar scourge refashioned by the very politics — of identity and liberation — that should comprehend the millennial Jewish struggle against persecution.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

What is striking about the anti-Zionism derangement syndrome that spills over into anti-Semitism is its ahistorical nature. It denies the long Jewish presence in, and bond with, the Holy Land.

On the other hand, denying the long Palestinian presence in, and bond with, Palestine, is something that is not only acceptable but indeed virtuous.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

IDF radio reports on the PEW survey quoting that about 50% of Israeli Jews support a transfer to the arab population, MK Bezalel "700 litres of gasoline AKA. Homosexuals are an abomination" Smotrich replies with "There are people for us to lead" (I wanted to keep the translation as close to the source to avoid nitpicking but in case it wasn't clear he's basically saying "Good...").

Quite the fucker.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So 50% of Israel Jews support the ethnic cleansing of fellow citizens? Who make up 20% of the population? Oh that would go great.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I'm curious what you all think of this situation. It has some parallels with the Salaita case, though I think she more clearly crosses the line in some cases.
`
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...oods/?tid=sm_tw

Main Paineframe posted:

Pew Research Group has conducted a major, in-depth survey of Israeli attitudes. It's quite detailed, so I'll probably be digging through it for most of the day, but there's a few headliners that I might as well get out of the way now:

- There's basically an even split between religious Jews and secular Jews in Israel. The former tend to believe that the Jewishness of the state should take precedence over its democracy and tend to support legislating religion, while the latter believe that democracy is more important and should take precedence over Jewish principles. More religious Jews also tend to lean politically more to the right.

- 76% of Israeli Jews think that it's possible for Israel to be both a Jewish state and a democratic state at the same time; only 27% of Israeli Arabs agree. Israeli Jews overwhelmingly believe that the Palestinian leadership is not genuinely trying to work toward peace, while Israeli Arabs overwhelmingly believe that the Israeli government is not genuinely trying to work towards peace.

- A huge majority of Israeli Jews believe that anti-Semitism is very common all over the world and actively increasing, and an overwhelming majority believe that the existence of a Jewish state is necessary for the long-term survival of the Jewish people. Virtually all Israeli Jews (98%) support guaranteed immediate citizenship in Israel for all Jewish immigrants, and 79% of Israeli Jews believe that Israel should give preferential treatment to Jews in general.

- 48% of Israeli Jews say that Arabs should be expelled from Israel, while 46% disagree.

Like I said, I'll be digging through this for a while, so expect more details (and other interesting factoids less likely to make the headlines) later.

Some fascinating findings here and Shibley Telhami had a nice write-up of them as well. It really lays bare the fundamental contradiction in Israeli society of it being both Jewish and a democracy. What's interesting is that even secular Jews think Jews should be given preferential treatment in Israel.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There are many so-called-secular Jews who are basically non-observant orthodox jews, they believe in yahweh and arbitrarily observe whichever customs they want (usually the convenient and festive ones, they fast in kippur, light candles on sabbath eve, celebrate passover etc etc, the easy stuff. They won't observe the sabbath itself of course cause that's a chore), they basically consider themselves to be flawed Jews of sorts and many of them profess that they would have liked to be more observant and are only non-observant due their lack of willpower. The important thing about these people is that they basically do believe the mythological nonsense from the bible and believe that God did indeed promise Israel to the seed of Abraham, the other important thing is that they often defer to the spiritual superiority of the Haredim and\or the Nationalist-Orthodox strands. So yeah, many of these folks obviously believe Jews should receive preferential treatment.

These phenomena is not really any surprising given the way the Israeli secular* public education system presents teaches Judaism to grade school children, observance is presented as virtuous and the biblical stories are presented at first completely uncritically, I remember being taken to the synagogue in my town as a 2nd grader to be handed a bible on Shavuot and told how this is the continuation of a tradition dating back to when God personally gave Moses the Torah. So obviously, some people are gonna grow up having a rather weird outlook about the whole thing.

*Israel has two sets of public\state schools (and a whole plethora of private ones that are also subsidized by the government) one for secular kids and the other catering mostly to the Nationalist-Orthodox ones(or National-Religious as they prefer to be called, whatever). In the religious schools the kids are explicitly told that they are better jews and better people... well, at least that's what my religious neighbor told me when we were kids, I doubt it's something that appears in the curriculum but I doubt they're being taught pluralistic acceptance of the other strands of judaism, see also: their attitude towards reform jews.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

A recent Oberlin alumna, Isabel Storch Sherrell, wrote in a Facebook post of the students she’d heard dismissing the Holocaust as mere “white on white crime.” As reported by David Bernstein in The Washington Post, she wrote of Jewish students, “Our struggle does not intersect with other forms of racism.”

That bit set off alarm bells for me, so I dug deeper, very interested in seeing the context of that statement. There's a larger debate going on about intersectionality in the Zionist media because it tends to increase BDS's influence, but that quote is so obviously stupid and offensive out-of-context that something was obviously off. And sure enough, it is. The original shows that the "white on white crime" remark was made by other Jewish students, and she explicitly mentions the fate of Roma, African Jews, and other populations in her counter to that statement. As for the part about intersection, she's actually saying that the Jewish struggle does intersect with other forms of racism, and she complains that anti-semites are trying to deny that - which Cohen selectively quotes out-of-context in just such a way to make it seem as though she's saying the exact opposite thing.

As for the rest of her rather long Facebook post, there are some serious cases of anti-semitism buried in there...but they're deep in a long list of incidents composed mostly of poo poo like "That time SFP brought in a Jewish lady to talk about her work with electronicintifada" or "That time Kosher Halal Co Op was told it couldnt serve 'ethnic' food" or "That time a Jewish person made a comment on fb saying 'the only reason people care about the Holocaust is because it happened to white people' and got tons of likes from white and POC friends alike" or, my personal favorite:

quote:

That time my African Studies professor had an antizionist jewish south african man come in to talk to the class about jazz and resistance. During Q&A she praised a Jewish student for their anti Israel comments relating Israel to South African apartheid. The prof then made funny faces and funny eyes when I spoke up and tried to make the point that we should try to understand the Israeli-Palestinian conflict within its OWN historical context and that its unfair to both Israelis and Palestinians to rely only on shaky comparisons.

---

Xandu posted:

I'm curious what you all think of this situation. It has some parallels with the Salaita case, though I think she more clearly crosses the line in some cases.
`
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...oods/?tid=sm_tw

To me, the Salaita case wasn't really about what he said, it was about the fact that the university tried to circumvent the due process rights they were contractually obligated to extend to him. It's hard to draw clear boundaries of "academic freedom", since it's an intentionally-vague and largely unwritten principle rather than a hard rule, but "the tenure clause in the professor's contract says the university has to go through steps X, Y, and Z in order to fire them" is a much easier thing to base it on. It's not like it should be impossible to fire a professor for saying things, but the tenure process ideally should act as a filter for such actions, ensuring that only serious breaches make it through the process and "oh no what if they offend the donors" cases are blocked.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xandu posted:

She's a complete nutter.

But I do find this interesting:

quote:

Some of Karega’s posts — which have since apparently been deleted but were captured in screenshots by the pro-Israel blog The Tower — state opinions that, while controversial, are shared by other supporters of the Israel boycott movement. “Let some tell it, an attack on Zionism is an attack on Jews,” Karega wrote on Facebook last January, for example, after the attacks on Charlie Hebdo in Paris. “It’s anti-Semitic, so they say. Total nonsense. And I stopped letting folks bully me with that ‘You’re being anti-Semitic’ nonsense a long time ago.”

If they had stopped right there, without going on about all the conspirationist garbage she spouts about Charlie Hebdo, MH17, and so on, there would be honestly nothing in the article to support that she is as awful as they claim.

So why start with, why even mention, this milquetoast quote, instead of going straight to the bullshit trutherism? That's the article's weak point.

Xandu posted:

What's interesting is that even secular Jews think Jews should be given preferential treatment in Israel.

Secularity does not preclude racism.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Totally fair. It's interesting to me though because there are clear gaps between secular Jews and other Jewish Israelis on a host of related issues, just not this one. They think democratic principles take priority over religious law, they're much less likely to identify with the right, they mostly see Judaism as a cultural identity, they see themselves as Israeli first, and they're significantly less likely to describe themselves as Zionists.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Forums poster "icantfindaname", who has literally insisted that literally everything bad that happens in the Middle East is literally the fault of Israel doesn't think antisemitism on the left is a thing. Somehow, I am not surprised.

Cat Mattress posted:

If they had stopped right there, without going on about all the conspirationist garbage she spouts about Charlie Hebdo, MH17, and so on, there would be honestly nothing in the article to support that she is as awful as they claim.

So the stuff about Zionist control of world government, that's ok? Everything up to but not quite including the completely insane jewsdid911 style conspiracy theories?

Cat Mattress posted:

I could not agree more.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Insect Court posted:

So the stuff about Zionist control of world government, that's ok?

That comes later in the article.

Here. Let me help you read the paragraphs in the order they come.

quote:

By Colleen Flaherty

One of the biggest privileges of being a professor — especially a tenured one — is having academic freedom. While the real protections offered under the principle vary from campus to campus, faculty work is at least founded on the idea that there’s room to express even unpopular ideas or beliefs. But are arguably unacademic opinions — inflammatory falsehoods that have no apparent basis in fact — also covered? A recent case at Oberlin College raises questions about whether all ideas are created equal when it comes to academic freedom.

The abstract, no specific examples given yet.

quote:

Earlier this year, several hundred students and alumni at Oberlin College expressed their concerns about what they described as escalating anti-Semitic rhetoric on campus, in an open letter to President Marvin Krislov and others. “As Oberlin students and alumni representing a diversity of views on Israel, we accept criticism of its leadership and policies,” the signatories wrote. “However, we do not believe Israel should be singled out for condemnation and we object to questioning its right to exist. We also abhor the tactics of Oberlin’s pro-[boycott, divestment and sanctions] student organizations that intimidate, threaten and coerce Jewish students, which we have seen and heard in numerous written and spoken reports.”

People objecting against "singling out" Israel and mention that there are organizations "that intimidate, threaten and coerce Jewish students". Those are bad things but there's still nothing pinned to Karega herself, she has yet to be even named.

quote:

The students and alumni didn’t refer to Joy Karega, an assistant professor of rhetoric and composition studies, by name, but the professor has been named in subsequent media coverage as someone aggressively promoting pro-boycott positions on social media. (She’s also reportedly come under fire for co-sponsoring a lecture later this week called “Fighting Apartheid Since 1948: Key Moments in Palestinian and Black Solidarity.”)

Now that Karega is introduced, she's presented as someone who is in favor of boycotting Israel and considers it an Apartheid state, but there's still nothing horrible about her yet.

quote:

Some of Karega’s posts — which have since apparently been deleted but were captured in screenshots by the pro-Israel blog The Tower — state opinions that, while controversial, are shared by other supporters of the Israel boycott movement. “Let some tell it, an attack on Zionism is an attack on Jews,” Karega wrote on Facebook last January, for example, after the attacks on Charlie Hebdo in Paris. “It’s anti-Semitic, so they say. Total nonsense. And I stopped letting folks bully me with that ‘You’re being anti-Semitic’ nonsense a long time ago.”

Now ^^ that ^^ is the point I was talking about.

quote:

Also inflammatory — but arguably a legitimate symbol of her political beliefs — Karega shared with that post an image of an ISIS fighter taking off a mask of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Another posted image recalls World War II-era anti-Jewish propaganda, showing Jacob Rothschild, a member of a well-known Jewish banking family, staring down the words, “We own your news, the media, your oil, and your government.”

And it's here that they start listing the actually outrageous stuff she said.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

quote:

This was not “colonialism” but the post-Holocaust will of the world: Arab armies went to war against it and lost.

Uhh... the self defined "Will of the World" imposing something that the locals don't want via military victory sounds exactly like colonialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Xandu posted:

Totally fair. It's interesting to me though because there are clear gaps between secular Jews and other Jewish Israelis on a host of related issues, just not this one. They think democratic principles take priority over religious law, they're much less likely to identify with the right, they mostly see Judaism as a cultural identity, they see themselves as Israeli first, and they're significantly less likely to describe themselves as Zionists.

Would it be fair to say that most leftist Jews are secular but most secular Jews are not leftists