Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Fourth Wall posted:

There's another way to keep overdrive going. Using a blue art in overdrive adds (0.1 * overdrive counter) seconds to the timer. I think green arts add half as much time, but also cause your next attack art to add double to the overdrive count. Green arts also let you switch between ranged/melee arts while still adding to the counter.

It's much cheaper on your TP if you use you blue/green arts to maintain overdrive.

Yep. First goal is to generate enough TP you can fire off an aura during overdrive several times. You want to alternate between your orange(or yellow) arts and green/blue arts

For ex. Start Overdrive>Orange>Blue>Orange>Green>Orange>Orange>Green>Orange>Blue

The goal is to drive up the counter using arts that hit a lot (tornado blade etc) and then extend the overdrive time by switching colors. Once you have better ways to generate TP (TP gear, TP gain skills, etc.) you can start mixing in TP attack arts and just extending the Overdrive with the Overdrive button.

It takes a little practice to maintain if you aren't loaded up with TP gain but it can be fun to experiment. Though most people will recommend Ghostwalker, Offensive Stance etc. just try out whatever you like, I've used builds with Power Dive, Gunforce, etc. that were just fine. It just depends on what you're fighting (might want more firepower, might want more survivability...)

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I somehow made it 3/4 of the way through the final boss before noticing my Skells in the room. Whoops, that couldn't been much less annoying, huh?

EDIT: Apparently that was just the first part and also everyone died and my skell blew up so it's making the other parts really annoying!!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 7, 2016

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ok so I beat this game. The ending was ok I guess, until I got to the post-credits scene.

I'm confused. Where were they? I thought the final battle was in the Lifehold Core? Also, when my game loaded back up, Elma looked like she did before the ending. I dunno what the gently caress.

Also, where are the repeatable missions I can grind?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

You can change her look in the options menu, a message should have popped up about that.

The grinding missions are in the barracks, at the terminal you get your daily division spoils. I forget the name of the category. Support missions?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The final boss was the worst part in the game, purely because once your skells got wrecked you have to reload because the game puts you in a point-of-no-return with no skell repair options.

I think the place where the final boss battle took place was where they stored all the DNA and that life goo, and the lower levels are where the server farms running the consciousnesses controlling the mims as well storing the other two million minds are located. I think the ideas that those two million minds are now properly dead and gone and basically all you did was for nothing, but poo poo's so vague who even knows.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zack Ater posted:

You can change her look in the options menu, a message should have popped up about that.

The grinding missions are in the barracks, at the terminal you get your daily division spoils. I forget the name of the category. Support missions?

Yeah the message popped up but I missed the options menu part.

a cartoon duck posted:

The final boss was the worst part in the game, purely because once your skells got wrecked you have to reload because the game puts you in a point-of-no-return with no skell repair options.

I think the place where the final boss battle took place was where they stored all the DNA and that life goo, and the lower levels are where the server farms running the consciousnesses controlling the mims as well storing the other two million minds are located. I think the ideas that those two million minds are now properly dead and gone and basically all you did was for nothing, but poo poo's so vague who even knows.

Sequel-bait, basically. Same thing with how they different races can all understand each other! THE PLANET IS MAGICAL AND SPECIAL WHATS UP WITH THAT?! FIND OUT IN XENOBLADE CHRONICLES NX!!!

Please make a Xenoblade Chronicles NX...

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

a cartoon duck posted:

It's not "all you did was for nothing", it's "so how the gently caress are we and everyone else in NLA still alive if all this stuff has been broken since we crashed here"

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a cartoon duck posted:

It's actually 20 million. They're going to return as gnosis.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

After not playing for a week I started back up. Just got the Man-on in town. Knowing that Boze is a filthy bigot, I decided to recruit him just to subject him to all of their quests.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Having just started this, my main question is: is there any way to increase the UI and text size? This game appears like it was made for TVs way bigger than my 42". It is almost impossible to read the menu text from across the room.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
Why'd you buy that small goddamn TV man, you were asking for it.

But in reality, no you cannot. Sorry.

Do I ever find the fourth key to this loving safe of white gold?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Rama of Ra posted:

Do I ever find the fourth key to this loving safe of white gold?

You do. A Wrothian approaches you when you try to enter your barracks (not if you fast-travel into it) after you finish chapter... 9? 10? Somewhere around there.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Maple Leaf posted:

not if you fast-travel into it

Oh, so that's why I never found that key

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Safety Scissors posted:

It's actually 20 million. They're going to return as gnosis.

Yes but how does the Zohar fit into this?!?

EDIT: Elma is obviously KOSMOS

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 8, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

lin is the blue one from xenogears' teen girl mini-boss squad

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally killed some Millisaurs. Needed an obsidian stone for this affinity mission.

Didn't realize those long necks were actually trunks. Their heads are super weird.

Next thing I'm gonna do is get an Ares 90 so everything is super easy. Hey, which enemies drop the super high end Phoenix and G-Busters?

EDIT: lmao why would they make you fight Telethia in a regular affinity mission? That's hilarious. Also what does it have to do with the Telethia in the other game?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 8, 2016

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I finally killed some Millisaurs. Needed an obsidian stone for this affinity mission.

Didn't realize those long necks were actually trunks. Their heads are super weird.

Next thing I'm gonna do is get an Ares 90 so everything is super easy. Hey, which enemies drop the super high end Phoenix and G-Busters?

EDIT: lmao why would they make you fight Telethia in a regular affinity mission? That's hilarious. Also what does it have to do with the Telethia in the other game?

Basically the same things that drop the lower tier versions, except the higher level variants of the enemies. I think there are Puges of really high level at the top of the cliff behind where the main grind spot for lower level versions, for example. I know that theres like four high level pugliths in the Atropolis too. Can't really remember which enemies drop phoenixes in particular right now though.

If you're doing the Atropolis Pugliths though, try to find a couple of the shoulder beam M-missiles with the missile mag modifier, since those when loaded with crush append augments will send all of an enemy's limbs flying with a single volley.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Having just started this, my main question is: is there any way to increase the UI and text size? This game appears like it was made for TVs way bigger than my 42". It is almost impossible to read the menu text from across the room.

My TV's 42 and I'm sat all the way across the room with no issues, I don't think it's due to your TV. Is your aspect ratio correct? Are you connected by HDMI properly?

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's either the tyrant in the atrapolis that has the four adds (the adds actually drops them), or the 3 Episoide 1 robots in a cave west of the eastern most island FN site in cauldros.

There actually little correlation between enemy type and it's mech weapon drop. Certain enemies can just be recolors and have completely different drops.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55UBV4ldsKY

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Welp, I stopping playing this game for a while and found I have no desire to pick it back up. Guess I'm done. :shrug:

Seriously, the grind for items in the postgame is ridiculous and pointless for a game that isn't actually an MMO. Skell combat is so bad, and ally AI is painfully bad, so high level on-foot battles are basically solo infinite overdrive or instant death. I can appreciate the advancements Monolithsoft made in creating a world so fun to explore, but goddamn they have so many gameplay issues to solve for the next game they make.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Taear posted:

My TV's 42 and I'm sat all the way across the room with no issues, I don't think it's due to your TV. Is your aspect ratio correct? Are you connected by HDMI properly?

Connected by HDMI and the aspect ratio should be correct. I cannot be further than about 5 feet from the TV if I want to be able to read quest objectives, what moves do, etc. Subtitles and such are a perfect font size. I've seen other complaints by people around the internet, so it isn't just me. Guess I will have to try and figure something out.

While I haven't gotten too far into it yet, I will say that I am glad that the monolith-soft director said that for the third game, assuming they make one, they want to go back to a more story driven JRPG as opposed to the more MMO-like one that X was.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

Connected by HDMI and the aspect ratio should be correct. I cannot be further than about 5 feet from the TV if I want to be able to read quest objectives, what moves do, etc. Subtitles and such are a perfect font size. I've seen other complaints by people around the internet, so it isn't just me. Guess I will have to try and figure something out.

While I haven't gotten too far into it yet, I will say that I am glad that the monolith-soft director said that for the third game, assuming they make one, they want to go back to a more story driven JRPG as opposed to the more MMO-like one that X was.

I too have the irritant, I suggest if you don't want to move up to briefly read the text and sit back down switching to the Gamepad mode, then back once you get what info you wanted.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I haven't had much time to play the game yet, and I've finally gotten to the point where story missions kind of take a break. So am I just supposed to grind missions from the mission board until I have reached the requirements for the next story quest?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Khisanth Magus posted:

I haven't had much time to play the game yet, and I've finally gotten to the point where story missions kind of take a break. So am I just supposed to grind missions from the mission board until I have reached the requirements for the next story quest?
take anything on the board marked as a social mission and then wander around town a bit to find some more questgivers, those ones generally have something of a story to them and don't feel like a giant waste of time
try doing affinity missions with anyone you've used enough to meet the requirements for
go explore places you haven't been to yet
all of that is more fun than grinding 'kill 8 pigs'

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

U-DO Burger posted:

Welp, I stopping playing this game for a while and found I have no desire to pick it back up. Guess I'm done. :shrug:

I did the same thing. Didn't really feel like grinding Skell weapons or whatever, like the MMissile augments. Also I encountered one of those quests with branching alternatives that I think might be bugged. Oh well. I got a good... I think 130 hours out of the game? It didn't owe me a thing.

Taear posted:

My Wii U is hooked up to a 25.5" computer monitor through HDMI. I sit about 6 feet from it. The font in the game is tiny enough that I have to lean forward and squint a bit to read it, and that's the only game in which I've ever encountered this problem. The font is just too drat small.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silver Falcon posted:

My Wii U is hooked up to a 25.5" computer monitor through HDMI. I sit about 6 feet from it. The font in the game is tiny enough that I have to lean forward and squint a bit to read it, and that's the only game in which I've ever encountered this problem. The font is just too drat small.

Agreed. The most comfortable way I've found to play XCX is to route the wii u through one of my computer monitors, so a 23" monitor at maybe three feet away. Makes me wonder if the game was entirely developed/tested at peoples' desks and nobody tried it in a living room.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Manky posted:

Agreed. The most comfortable way I've found to play XCX is to route the wii u through one of my computer monitors, so a 23" monitor at maybe three feet away. Makes me wonder if the game was entirely developed/tested at peoples' desks and nobody tried it in a living room.

That is my assumption, because that seems to be the only good way to be able to read it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Khisanth Magus posted:

The way I did basic missions, and the way I recommend it, is to accept the ones that say kill X indigens, do some normal missions and explore as much as you can. Don't go out of your way to kill the indigens unless you run into a bunch of them. Don't worry about Tyrants yet. And don't accept the gathering missions until you have already gotten the collectibles*.

*The exception being when it says, "Find one (non-collectible item)" because those are specific one-off items that don't appear until you find the item i.e. Find a violet crystal in Noctilum or find a heart stone in Oblivia.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The way I did basic missions, and the way I recommend it, is to accept the ones that say kill X indigens, do some normal missions and explore as much as you can. Don't go out of your way to kill the indigens unless you run into a bunch of them. Don't worry about Tyrants yet. And don't accept the gathering missions until you have already gotten the collectibles*.

*The exception being when it says, "Find one (non-collectible item)" because those are specific one-off items that don't appear until you find the item i.e. Find a violet crystal in Noctilum or find a heart stone in Oblivia.

**One exception to this, "Marry Me!" which wants like 10 or something.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

FeyerbrandX posted:

**One exception to this, "Marry Me!" which wants like 10 or something.

***And said items don't actually spawn; the quest being accepted is a prereq for Hope's unlock mission.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sordas Volantyr posted:

***And said items don't actually spawn; the quest being accepted is a prereq for Hope's unlock mission.

****Hope sucks, unlock her but use Irina instead

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

****Hope sucks, unlock her but use Irina instead

Omg I will murder your face.

She is one of the few not-complete-gently caress-ups, rascists, psychopaths, or criminals that ended up on this grandiose Zimbardo experiment.

And she has good unlockable skills.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
In my short time with it so far, XC:X has quite a few problems, and I really hope that they learn from them and make a third one that is closer to the original.

One of the biggest problems, however, is that your Nopon mascot is not anywhere near as awesome as the great Heropon Riki.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

One of the biggest problems, however, is that your Nopon mascot is not anywhere near as awesome as the great Heropon Riki.

That's probably being too generous. Eventually I just started skipping cutscenes if that familiar bassline started playing.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yeah, my biggest dissapointment with XCX was that Tatsu wasn't playable. Tatsu was gonna go in the party and never leave ever for any reason.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got the Ares 90, hooray :toot:

Are the lv60 Skell Superweapons worth trying to make? Any specific ones I should try for?

EDIT: Holy poo poo, its default equipment is amazing. Are its weapons good or should I move my Phoenix and G-Buster over? Nevermind apparently I can't change its equipment!

Can I solo Telethia now or what? I am gonna do that normal mission but I guess it involves killing Telethia and lol yeah right

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 11, 2016

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Only with lots of good augments.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I got the Ares 90, hooray :toot:

Are the lv60 Skell Superweapons worth trying to make? Any specific ones I should try for?

EDIT: Holy poo poo, its default equipment is amazing. Are its weapons good or should I move my Phoenix and G-Buster over? Nevermind apparently I can't change its equipment!

Can I solo Telethia now or what? I am gonna do that normal mission but I guess it involves killing Telethia and lol yeah right

The Zenith Cannon is awesome, and the biggest damage thing around for the most part. Don't get Dragon Lance or Hexad Partican, they take up too many slots, and Electric Flood is commonly called trash. Some of the others have decent Niches, Assault cloak for instance will grant total evasion and damage all nearby enemies, but most are really situational.

As for Telethia, search it on Youtube for a build that works. If you want to take it on in standard combat though you'll need to throw up like all your combat probes, use a bunch of Ether resist and topple and sleep resist augs, and make sure your non Gravity/Phys attacks pierce reflect. Or, if you're not a crazy person like me you have the option to just ignore the Telethia and finish the quest. The only time you need to fight it is in an L affinity mission where it has IIRC reduced stats and you only need to do a certain amount of damage before plot kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Things that are cool post-endgame: doing a million damage in one hit with the Ares90

Things that are not cool post-endgame: A tyrant with 100,000,000 hp what the gently caress

• Locked thread