Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Washout posted:

No, you really don't. It just encourages peeking and sniping and makes the game boring poo poo.

I don't think keeping them to single fire would do that. They were a major problem when it was Thunderbolts nailing folks with three in a single shot. I'd rather that keep overheating them as it does now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Talmonis posted:

I don't think keeping them to single fire would do that. They were a major problem when it was Thunderbolts nailing folks with three in a single shot. I'd rather that keep overheating them as it does now.

Back when the TDR-9S was Best Mech, you could get off two 30-point pinpoint alphas in like ... two seconds, at 800-ish meters

It was the easiest thing in the world to catch some poor clan light standing still in CW and end him before he knew what was what.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Oh Snapple! posted:

In terms of PPCs, I've been running this Mauler and seeing good results with it: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=327&l=baa849502626357eecd088f2bc8c0a3bb55eb039

It's nice being able to peg a dude in one component for 20 damage, and while the PPCs are on cooldown you can lay into them with the UACs. Of course the beautiful part of it is when some light shows up and tries to circlestrafe you to death and you just scrap them with the UACs. Hell, works against heavier mechs that close in, too. It's like folks just see the PPCs and think if they just get close you won't be able to do anything. And they are wrong. Very wrong.

The is the same build I use with my Banshee. You put the AC's on chainfire on one button and the ppc's with chain fire on the other. 3rd button is just an alpha for poking. Chain firing all that bullshit at people scares the hell out of them though!

Pattonesque posted:

Back when the TDR-9S was Best Mech, you could get off two 30-point pinpoint alphas in like ... two seconds, at 800-ish meters

It was the easiest thing in the world to catch some poor clan light standing still in CW and end him before he knew what was what.

It was way worse than that, a whole team of those could easily wipe the entire enemy team in CW without losses just because the instant anything shows it's head it eats a million ppc's and explodes. It was a common tactic to just stand in the open with your entire team and just incinerate anything that showed it's head.

Washout fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 7, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
What if PGI figured out how to make it so that you couldn't fire a bunch of any one kind of weapon, and the most direct way to win was to be able to lay in damage efficiently at more than one range so that by the time you're in brawling range, the enemy who boated all of one kind of weapon is beat up enough that even with diminished brawling power you can kill them.

Of course this defeated from the first five words, but I think it's a nice dream.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sard posted:

What if PGI figured out how to make it so that you couldn't fire a bunch of any one kind of weapon, and the most direct way to win was to be able to lay in damage efficiently at more than one range so that by the time you're in brawling range, the enemy who boated all of one kind of weapon is beat up enough that even with diminished brawling power you can kill them.

Of course this defeated from the first five words, but I think it's a nice dream.

Russ????

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Washout posted:

It was way worse than that, a whole team of those could easily wipe the entire enemy team in CW without losses just because the instant anything shows it's head it eats a million ppc's and explodes. It was a common tactic to just stand in the open with your entire team and just incinerate anything that showed it's head.

awww, memories

really what they should do is reduce the heat, up the velocity, but increase the cooldown. that way they become great poking weapons that don't have the DPS for a brawl

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pattonesque posted:

awww, memories

really what they should do is reduce the heat, up the velocity, but increase the cooldown. that way they become great poking weapons that don't have the DPS for a brawl

If they want' to stay true to the table top numbers for damage, heat, range etc then cooldown is really the best lever they have. That wan't an issue at all in TT so they could make up whatever insane values they wanted to.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Cyrano4747 posted:

If they want' to stay true to the table top numbers for damage, heat, range etc

I wish they would stop this

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Was messing around on break at work trying to make a bigger slower oxide butt shooter out of TBT-LG:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=157&l=e636efe2827a6d165c23fe82fff17f23e00a551e

With some SPLs, but looks like it might be hot:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=157&l=5fca83c99ece2f52080c5191f1baa211f5d953d6

I thought it might be way too slow, but I it should be somewhat comparable to a splat crow and a touch faster

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

starkebn posted:

I wish they would stop this

They already have moved pretty far off in some cases. IS LPL is 7 heat for 11 damage, TT it's 10 heat for 9 damage.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I wouldn't mind a PPC buff. I don't think their usage would become more widespread than it is now. Which is next to no one using them. There's a reason for that besides people not knowing their bad heat to damage ratio.

People can't aim with them.

Seriously, watch your average tier 3 player. Not a single person can lead a shot. This goes for Gauss (more so) as well. gently caress even sped up with PPC quirks people can't aim for poo poo.

Lasers will still be people's jam because you can rake people with them.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I know a quick way to increase TTK by 50%. But Russ won't like it because it would admit he made a mistake. Also, there's no way he can claim that they don't have the capacity for it since the population is easily down to where it was in open beta.

Go back go 8v8.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

Go back go 8v8.

not empty quoting

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Stringbean posted:

I wouldn't mind a PPC buff. I don't think their usage would become more widespread than it is now. Which is next to no one using them. There's a reason for that besides people not knowing their bad heat to damage ratio.

People can't aim with them.

Seriously, watch your average tier 3 player. Not a single person can lead a shot. This goes for Gauss (more so) as well. gently caress even sped up with PPC quirks people can't aim for poo poo.

Lasers will still be people's jam because you can rake people with them.

To be fair, if you spectate ANYONE it's going to look like their aim is lagging behind and that they're not leading shots enough, because the spectate function is poo poo and doesn't accurately reflect what the player is seeing/aiming at.

The hitbox for PPCs always feels weird and it takes me a couple of games to get used to them. There's not much reason for IS PPCs to still be generating more heat than IS LPLs, considering all the other disadvantages and the minimum range problems.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Even in game they whiff shots that should be torso hits. I mean I've wandered my HGN-IIC across open fields and PPC shots have gone behind me. I'm not trucking at 100 kph and I'm not Raven small. :cmon:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I can't begin to count the number of times I've had a mech dead to rights in my 4xERPPC warhawk and have the following scenario happen:

Fire the right two ERPPCs at the target's center torso. Both shots fly through the target's left armpit. Immediately fire the left two ERPPCs, again, both at the center torso, only to see them fly under the right armpit. Now I'm maxed out on heat, about to shut down, and can't afford to fire my guns again for at least 15-30 seconds, depending on the map. GG, friends don't let friends pilot PPC boats.

They still feel really, REALLY good to connect with though, even though they don't seem to do much damage.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

taqueso posted:

Was messing around on break at work trying to make a bigger slower oxide butt shooter out of TBT-LG:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=157&l=e636efe2827a6d165c23fe82fff17f23e00a551e

With some SPLs, but looks like it might be hot:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=157&l=5fca83c99ece2f52080c5191f1baa211f5d953d6

I thought it might be way too slow, but I it should be somewhat comparable to a splat crow and a touch faster

It's basically worse in every way to a splatcrow, except for structure quirks and being the exact same speed, hope this helps. The 10% missile cooldown/missile speed quirks doesn't compensate for the fact that Clan SRMs are half the weight of IS before artemis and the splatcrow/similar variants are more heavily armed.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
also it requires you to buy a ldg :cripes:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

thanks

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Talmonis posted:

I really would like PPC's to become much better. To keep it from being out of hand though, you could make it ghost heat for firing more than one at a time. I'd be fine with that, as I straight up love having three or more on chainfire.

this is a horrific idea. lets lock people into firing one 10 damage weapon (with travel time) at a time

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Olesh posted:

To be fair, if you spectate ANYONE it's going to look like their aim is lagging behind and that they're not leading shots enough, because the spectate function is poo poo and doesn't accurately reflect what the player is seeing/aiming at.

Fun story: I didn't even consider that for the 1st 3 months I played. When I was told, I kept doing it. Just because I'm an rear end in a top hat.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

How did you get 3 large lasers to fit? Stripped out the AC or the SRMs entirely?

Nothing fancy, endo mostly.

2 Mpulse in the ct +1 heatsink works too. if you don't have artemis just throw on more heatsinks.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
drat, the amount of armor those things have is crazy.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
gently caress pubbies. gently caress them right in their stupid god drat faces.

You could remove every weapon but lrms and large lasers and the solo queue wouldn't even notice.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tujague posted:

drat, the amount of armor those things have is crazy.

It doesn't seem to help much because you are generally target #1

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How many hitpoints does structure of a mech have? Like I see the atlas up there with 110 center torso armor, but after I do 110 damage how much does it take to destroy the structure underneath and get a kill? Is it a percent of armor, different for every frame, determined by weight class? I have no idea how that works.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SumYungGui posted:

How many hitpoints does structure of a mech have? Like I see the atlas up there with 110 center torso armor, but after I do 110 damage how much does it take to destroy the structure underneath and get a kill? Is it a percent of armor, different for every frame, determined by weight class? I have no idea how that works.

max armor/2+structure quirks. You include back armor in that calculation.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Here I will share my ~amazing field tested builds~ for all of goonkind.

This is my laser brawling gargoyle. You can get two to three full salvos off for 66 damage each before you need to take a few seconds to cool down.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=236&l=dc73ae64cc2aaa2c8417c7600ed7e748439ef886

This is my PPC gargoyle that I've been playing today. With the range/cooldown modules you can just sit at really long ranges picking people apart. Whenever they start getting too close and you haven't damaged them enough to kill them, you withdraw a little bit away from the line. If they close on you it's time to hit O and try to kill them before you blow yourself up.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=236&l=4c1bd182a0f2ebc5c4c8eb0f67179b951c3a939a

Here is the LPL locust. The big focus for this one is either being a squirrel or stealing kills of opportunity. The starting move for this locust is to immediately cross the map at the start and start shooting assaults in the rear end. If they send lights after you just run around taking pot shots at them and maintain your distance, and when the fight is really getting hot try to kill any mechs that are rotated to the rear with internals showing.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=106&l=0efb9d443bb25c30386e75b2efa7722b222dd735

This is my boar's head build. The whole point of it is to smash as many double heatsinks into it as possible. You use your high mobility to get in, shoot someone to pieces, and then withdraw to cool down for a few seconds. If your team pushes you push with them, but in the poke and peek phase you just stick to a corner and abuse people with your arms since they are far to the sides of the atlas.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=103&l=56bd78f4e8df2d1963036d6f219a37e258dcea39

Here is king crab. Shoot the lasers at the things. They are the highest mounted points on your mech, so abuse that fact.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=239&l=b5134d6d587a13f19057837cbb0586e4e0dce0d1

These are just some of my builds, but are generally the more successful ones.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've been playing with HGN-IICs! Here's my stupid rear end sniper build:

Gimmick Sniper

Runs hot as gently caress.

Been using the brawler build I posted about before. Except I added some ERLL for longer range engagements.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Commoners posted:

Here is king crab. Shoot the lasers at the things. They are the highest mounted points on your mech, so abuse that fact.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=239&l=b5134d6d587a13f19057837cbb0586e4e0dce0d1

Welp, time to get a king crab. If you take out 4 of the heatsinks, you can install endo-steel and an STD295 engine for almost the same speed and way more durability, also an extra half a ton of armor. This brings your time spent firing down from the divine 1:21 to merely 0:54 though. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=239&l=a45737918b427523fa084655d713203d90155a8f

Sard fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 8, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

SumYungGui posted:

Its by tonnage/weight iirc. Smurphy actually lists it in the (x hp) value right above the armor.

2 mechs of the same chassis, one with and one without structure quirks seems to output the same value - so it does NOT factor in structure quirks.

The atlas should have 62 hp from weight and 31 from quirks, so 93 after the armors done.

It doesn't last if you're focused, though, but you can be tough as poo poo some days.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
For a doofy gimmick build, the 4 x AC/2 Jager is pretty effective:

I know it's fairly easy to counter in some (OK, most) situations, especially if you know what the gently caress you're doing, but as it turns out a lot of people don't. And it makes such a wonderful racket!

I'm trying 2 x AC/10 now, which I suspect will be more effective if less flashy. Still wants lots of facetime but it's much more concentrated damage.

grissenko
Jan 18, 2006

Oh he's so pringles. Where yo curleh mustache at?!
Fun Shoe

Stringbean posted:

What're you running on it? Quad ac/5? I jump around dual gauss quad MLas and dual PPC dual uac/5

I was running quad AC/2s. The fire rate is good, you don't have to worry about jams, and I find most people freak out in T4 when you start dumping on their CT with four of those. Some of the builds I saw had four AC/2s with four MLas, but I ended up dumping all of the MLas for extra ammo to extend my ability to fight. Probably not an optimal build for CW or anything, but in solo queue it has been working way more often than it hasn't.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I think the reverse-goon tactic night of PPC-mageddon went pretty well.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Washout posted:

The is the same build I use with my Banshee. You put the AC's on chainfire on one button and the ppc's with chain fire on the other. 3rd button is just an alpha for poking. Chain firing all that bullshit at people scares the hell out of them though!

Probably a stupid question but why chainfire ultra ac/5s? As I understand they fire at the same rate as regular ac/5s if you don't mash the fire button so why not use regular ac5s?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

TjyvTompa posted:

Probably a stupid question but why chainfire ultra ac/5s? As I understand they fire at the same rate as regular ac/5s if you don't mash the fire button so why not use regular ac5s?

You can click faster to fire faster if you want. Or pop out an extra shot on someone peeking at you with the alpha key.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

grissenko posted:

I was running quad AC/2s. The fire rate is good, you don't have to worry about jams, and I find most people freak out in T4 when you start dumping on their CT with four of those. Some of the builds I saw had four AC/2s with four MLas, but I ended up dumping all of the MLas for extra ammo to extend my ability to fight. Probably not an optimal build for CW or anything, but in solo queue it has been working way more often than it hasn't.

There's a huge skill jump between 4 and 3, considering the bracket shifts and you don't play with tier 5 players anymore. quad ac2 will not work the next tier up because people will just know how to deal with your poo poo.

I'm about halfway to tier 2, somehow got placed against Lang. Didn't know they placed tier 1s against 3s but here we are.

He was LRMing 😐

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Commoners posted:

Here is the LPL locust. The big focus for this one is either being a squirrel or stealing kills of opportunity. The starting move for this locust is to immediately cross the map at the start and start shooting assaults in the rear end. If they send lights after you just run around taking pot shots at them and maintain your distance, and when the fight is really getting hot try to kill any mechs that are rotated to the rear with internals showing.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=106&l=0efb9d443bb25c30386e75b2efa7722b222dd735

I used to do something similar with an ECM Raven with ER LL. Pure mischief. Worked ok on big maps -- get far behind the enemy and rake the whole team to get their attention. I could usually get enemies to split up or backtrack so they'd be vulnerable to a frontal assault by my team, or at least draw a lot more fire than I was worth. One downside is that you don't do a lot of damage, so you don't get much cred for it either. Also less successful against well-organized teams.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

ElPez posted:

I used to do something similar with an ECM Raven with ER LL. Pure mischief. Worked ok on big maps -- get far behind the enemy and rake the whole team to get their attention. I could usually get enemies to split up or backtrack so they'd be vulnerable to a frontal assault by my team, or at least draw a lot more fire than I was worth. One downside is that you don't do a lot of damage, so you don't get much cred for it either. Also less successful against well-organized teams.

The problem with the raven is that it has an ungodly burn time. The locust is made for killing and your poking turns into murder if they don't turn to deal with you. I've never been killed or significantly damaged by an ERLL raven and just generally ignore them when they're plinking at me.

Kill all assaults with your magical locust powers. (These were presumably tier 1/2 players that I was murdering, the locust is good.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You can literally take any build into the lowest tier, and do well.

• Locked thread