Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I could tell they were bullshit lies at the time, why couldnt she? I was in massive anti-war protests, why wasnt she? Its not a case of "hindsight is 20-20", its "This woman clearly cant be trusted with important decisions".

I couldn't, and neither could most of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Condiv posted:

yeah seriously. there are democrats in this thread that bought into the iraq war?

I didn't; but there was, uh you know, virtually the rest of the country that did.

I am glad we're getting to have a vintage 2008 debate about the loving Iraq War.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Now you're being hyperbolic.

Your case so far consists of "this is hindsight speaking" without anything to back it up. There were 23 votes against the Iraq resolution in the Senate- saying the whole country fell for W's bullshit and that criticism for the war is all based on hindsight is extreme historical revisionism. 23% of the Senate disagreed with the war resolution, so you saying that "virtually everyone" supported the war is bullshit.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I have trouble buying a media narrative that Clinton's vote on the war was a huge gaffe. Not because it was good, but because the media was stone cold 100% the biggest force pushing for war at the time and desperately wants to hide it.

As someone who was against the war and suffered as a result, I'm not about to let them rope a dope this one away. A lot of people would've lost their seat had they fought the war and that's largely because of the role the media played on shamelessly selling it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I personally look forward to Hillary moving to the right during the general. Everyone always says that the candidates always move "towards the center"(which in reality means just towards the opposite side's positions). Hillary is barely holding on to any semblance of being progressive after deciding that real progressive policies are impossible, so any move rightward is going to put her firmly back in her old familiar, right of center positions, whee.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Your case so far consists of "this is hindsight speaking" without anything to back it up. There were 23 votes against the Iraq resolution in the Senate- saying the whole country fell for W's bullshit and that criticism for the war is all based on hindsight is extreme historical revisionism.

Uh, you're also trying to make the case that Hillary is personally and individually responsible for the deaths of "million" so glass houses mate on your historical rivisionism.

Have you guys forgotten how popular the Iraq Invasion was at the outset?

More to the point, all 23 of those voters weren't because they "didn't buy W's bullshit," but context is hard I gues.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I'm not arguing the media narrative, I'm answering the specific question of "what criticisms of her time in the Senate do you have that would make you think she'd be a bad POTUS". Buying into the intel for Iraq, whether through ignorance or political calculus, casts her judgment into serious question.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is almost entirely hindsight bullshit thinking.

Curveball

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You meant the enormous antiwar demonstrations that got ignored in favor of yellow journalism?

Remember the Maine.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Khisanth Magus posted:

I personally look forward to Hillary moving to the right during the general. Everyone always says that the candidates always move "towards the center"(which in reality means just towards the opposite side's positions). Hillary is barely holding on to any semblance of being progressive after deciding that real progressive policies are impossible, so any move rightward is going to put her firmly back in her old familiar, right of center positions, whee.

If by some monstrous chain of events it's Hillary vs. Cruz, she'll be advocating for minor war crimes and we'll still vote for her because at least it's the better option.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Random Side-Bar: If you haven't been checking out Samantha Bee's new show, you're missing out. They snuck her show out there with very little promotion, but it is significantly better than the Nightly show and on par with the best of the Daily Show.

Here are two of the best segments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSMXwzH-moc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whnvOdHkFNI

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Yah, plus Valerie Plame and her husband. We are all goldfish apparently.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Uh, you're also trying to make the case that Hillary is personally and individually responsible for the deaths of "million" so glass houses mate on your historical rivisionism.

More to the point, all 23 of those voters weren't because they "didn't buy W's bullshit," but context is hard I gues.

So is spelling I suppose but yes, as one of the 100 people who got to decide whether or not the Iraq invasion would occur, she definitely shares a large portion of the blame for it. I guess representative government is too complex a concept for you to handle?

And yes, the most reliable studies conducted on the death toll since '03 suggest that it's very likely over a million. Sorry if that dampens your spirits for Clinton '16 but maybe if you just tell yourself it was an honest mistake enough times, you'll eventually believe that load of poo poo. Regime change should be the very last resort for a power like the US and if you think the administration's case at the time was solid enough to back a land invasion, your judgment as CiC is dubious at best.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 8, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'm not arguing the media narrative, I'm answering the specific question of "what criticisms of her time in the Senate do you have that would make you think she'd be a bad POTUS". Buying into the intel for Iraq, whether through ignorance or political calculus, casts her judgment into serious question.

And I guess President Obama disagreed? But again, if that's your litmus test I guess that's fine. I just happen to think you're wrong.

That kind of helps prove my point, the information being given to senators was really bad but would be hard for them to know that (as evidenced.)

Unzip and Attack posted:

So is spelling I suppose but yes, as one of the 100 people who got to decide whether or not the Iraq invasion would occur, she definitely shares a large portion of the blame for it. I guess representative government is too complex a concept for you to handle?

Cute.

Unzip and Attack posted:

And yes, the most reliable studies conducted on the death toll since '03 suggest that it's very likely over a million. Sorry if that dampens your spirits for Clinton '16 but maybe if you just tell yourself it was an honest mistake enough times, you'll eventually believe that load of poo poo.

Alright. Whatever you say. Let me know when you find a candidate that is and has always been perfect on every issue to support, and has never made a wrong vote that has hurt millions of people in one way or another. I'll be waiting.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 8, 2016

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is almost entirely hindsight bullshit thinking.

No it's not, only loving imbeciles or people who thought it was politically expedient to support lovely nationalism bought into the justification of the Iraq War.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Personally, I think it's going to be a terrible Hillary loss: http://www.270towin.com/maps/59Xog

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

TildeATH posted:

No it's not, only loving imbeciles or people who thought it was politically expedient to support lovely nationalism bought into the justification of the Iraq War.

So, most Americans.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I didn't; but there was, uh you know, virtually the rest of the country that did.

I am glad we're getting to have a vintage 2008 debate about the loving Iraq War.

It's good that Hillary is not being allowed to forget supporting the stupidest American foreign policy decision in her lifetime.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

A Winner is Jew posted:

Name one loving republican running for the presidency that won't tongue netanyahu's taint on demand. Or won't be ordering our own troops to commit the same exact same human rights abuses or even outright war crimes. Or one that won't feed Snowden to loving Guantanamo and forget the key.
Fact: Global warming is real

Democratic defense strategies:

1) Divert attention to how bad the GOP is in comparison.
2) Ignore criticism and divert attention to other Democratic platform talking points.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Alright. Whatever you say. Let me know when you find a candidate that is and has always been perfect on every issue to support, and has never made a wrong vote that has hurt millions of people in one way or another. I'll be waiting.

I started this by saying that I'm answering a specific question with a specific response. You can't even handle one criticism without melting down and demanding a "perfect candidate" be named in Hillary's place. The absolute thinnest of skins.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's good that Hillary is not being allowed to forget supporting the stupidest American foreign policy decision in her lifetime.

Oh now you're just being silly. In her lifetime we invaded Korea, Vietnam, hosed Latin America for Generations, 90% of Isreal and the Middle East....

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So, most Americans.

Yeah, how loving sad is that.

Support for the Iraq War should be a litmus test for the right to run for office or vote or get a driver's license.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So, most Americans.

This is your bar for high office? Wow.

I mean, most Americans can't name the 3 branches of government so how dare us demand the same of a Commander in Chief? Ivory Tower Liberals indeed!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

This right here is "SA_Clinton_Supporters.txt". I started this by saying that I'm answering a specific question with a specific response. You can't even handle one criticism without melting down and demanding a "perfect candidate" be named in Hillary's place. The absolute thinnest of skins.

And this is you willfully taking out of context that remark. I said literally a post before that if you want to use that as your litmus test, that's fine. It's, in my opinion, stupid. Also you literally called her a murderer so, uh I think that's not exactly a "light criticism." Could be wrong!

TildeATH posted:

Yeah, how loving sad is that.

Support for the Iraq War should be a litmus test for the right to run for office or vote or get a driver's license.

Does support for the Iraq War include continuing to fund it?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gonzo McFee posted:

She shouldn't.

But saying "she should have known better than almost every intelligence agency in the US, along with collaborating evidence from intelligence agencies from out allies" just because we have the hindsight now that it was all bullshit is what I'm at least saying is dumb.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I was 15 when we authorized the Iraq Invasion aka Operation Iraqi Freedom, and even I knew that the Intel was bullshit and wasn't provided by the organizations doing the serious intel gathering at the time. It was completely apparent that the whole thing was a political opportunity to take advantage of growing nationalism Most of our senior class walked out of class in protest of the invasion and, I have to say we were all proven 100% correct on our grievances with the entire situation.

So why would we apologize for the leaders who authorized that poo poo show?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also you literally called her a murderer so, uh I think that's not exactly a "light criticism." Could be wrong!

Quote where I called Hillary Clinton a murderer.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm beginning to wonder how many posters were alive and politically conscious back then. Most every senator back then was absolutely representing the will of the people and probably would've been ousted had they voted against it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Eschers Basement posted:

Personally, I think it's going to be a terrible Hillary loss: http://www.270towin.com/maps/59Xog

http://www.270towin.com/maps/MmDvj

Guys I hosed up the country.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

Quote where I called Hillary Clinton a murderer.

"responsible for the death of over a million people"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I'm beginning to wonder how many posters were alive and politically conscious back then. Most every senator back then was absolutely representing the will of the people and probably would've been ousted had they voted against it.

And they all had such well defined ideas about foreign policy too!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Epic High Five posted:

I have to wonder why you keep falling back on character attacks when someone has an issue with actual policy positions of your candidate of choice. If Hilary didn't want to get nailed for voting for the war she should have had the prescience I apparently had to realize it was a huge mistake.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Are you Dick Morris?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Epic High Five posted:

I served there in '03-'04. Also, doing what the polls say is not the job of a Senator. If that were so we'd just conduct foreign policy via referendum.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"responsible for the death of over a million people"

I said she bears some responsibility as an active leader of the State. Yeah same as a murder. Get hosed.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Democratic defense strategies:

1) Divert attention to how bad the GOP is in comparison.
2) Ignore criticism and divert attention to other Democratic platform talking points.

1) Thanks to FPTP we're often left with the lesser of two evils. Maybe if republicans didn't cut funding for education so loving much idiots would actually know that rather basic civics fact.

2) Global warning Climate change is real. Don't trust democrats on it, don't trust the overwhelming number of scientists world wide on it, trust the US loving military that republicans are so god drat in love with until it's time to take care of the wounded veterans.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Epic High Five posted:

There were many very large street protests of the Iraq War and I don't recall seeing any babies, fetuses or twinkles in their parents' eyes carrying signs and yelling about what kind of a stupid piece of poo poo decision it was.

I don't think it would be quite as horrible if the horrible imbeciles that voted for it and supported it didn't try so hard to justify their actions rather than apologize for their stupidity/craven jingoism.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

Here's your problem.

I fail to see the issue. We have a social safety net to assist individuals with relocation costs: its called national service.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
why is it so acceptable to authorize military invasion on shakey intel? were you guys that scared by 9/11

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ Remember the Maine

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

In her lifetime we invaded Korea, Vietnam, hosed Latin America for Generations, 90% of Isreal and the Middle East....

That was during the Cold War when we going toe to toe with the Soviets - Desert Storm established a precedent that countries only have their sovereignty violated by force if the international community can come to some agreement about such action - the invasion of Iraq was a US declaration that 'might makes right' - setting the stage for Putin in South Ossetia and Ukraine. Anyone who supported the invasion is responsible for this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TildeATH posted:

There were many very large street protests of the Iraq War and I don't recall seeing any babies, fetuses or twinkles in their parents' eyes carrying signs and yelling about what kind of a stupid piece of poo poo decision it was.

How many preceded this vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

TildeATH posted:

I don't think it would be quite as horrible if the horrible imbeciles that voted for it and supported it didn't try so hard to justify their actions rather than apologize for their stupidity/craven jingoism.

There was what... something like 10 million people across the US protesting?

Uhh, sorry to burst your bubble but while that 10 million seems like a lot that's not even 4% of the country.

So yeah, 4% of the country were right about the war.

• Locked thread