Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yes, shockingly enough, Watch Dogs is a Bad Game made by a Bad Publisher.

It's a pity too, it was one of those six-year projects, so I bet it was a big pipe dream by a really creative visionary type at the company, but poo poo got bogged down, that guy left years ago, and they just pieced it all together out of stray assets while they made Farcry and Creed.

There are enough hints in the game itself that Aiden Pearce was going to be a white-hat hacker taking down an opressive system he himself created from the inside, which isn't a very original or unique idea but it's way more interesting than what we got.

PantsBandit posted:

People can talk about whatever the hell they want but just maybe certain topics aren't conducive to a web forum and are just going to lead to a bunch of people insulting one another.

It is better to have discussed and lost than to have not discussed at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

PantsBandit posted:

People can talk about whatever the hell they want but just maybe certain topics aren't conducive to a web forum and are just going to lead to a bunch of people insulting one another.

hmm. methinks the censor doth become the censee

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Since when are you Thread Arbiter

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Literally every topic will devolve into insults at some point if discussed long enough I'd rather have it be the backdrop of something interesting instead of "Is dark souls great or greatest?"

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I want to talk about ONE PIECE Pirate Warriors 3

Because it is

AWESOME yeah you get ALL THE CHARACTERS and one piece has the best characters

I like the giant transvestite with creepy hormone powers and I like the one guy who does Fishman Karate

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dark Souls is pretty great

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my dark souls story:

I played it for like 25 minutes and beat the boss guy in the prison and ended up on a plateau with a campfire and a guy in armor and I tried to fight the guy in armor and he hosed me up pretty bad. then he remained hostile even after reloading the game and kept killing me.

serves me right tbqh

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sakurazuka posted:

Dark Souls is pretty great

Demon's Souls is better :twisted:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mak0rz posted:

my dark souls story:

I played it for like 25 minutes and beat the boss guy in the prison and ended up on a plateau with a campfire and a guy in armor and I tried to fight the guy in armor and he hosed me up pretty bad. then he remained hostile even after reloading the game and kept killing me.

serves me right tbqh

I hope you were prepared to die.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mak0rz posted:

my dark souls story:

serves me right tbqh

:cripes:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I hope you were prepared to die.

My girlfriend's brother was watching me and when I attacked the guard he said "Uh you probably shouldn't have done that..."

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I think it's hosed up to attack things before they attack you in games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lady Naga posted:

Demon's Souls is better :twisted:

I didn't get very far in Demon's so all I can really say is I preferred the interconnected world of Dark to the hub set up.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

I think it's hosed up to attack things before they attack you in games.

Yeah, Demon's Souls is awful about this.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sakurazuka posted:

I didn't get very far in Demon's so all I can really say is I preferred the interconnected world of Dark to the hub set up.

I do legitimately prefer Demon's but I understand it's very much a "my personal taste in what I enjoy" thing. Tower Of Latria is loving cool as poo poo and I'm sad there's nothing like it in either Dark.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah, Demon's Souls is awful about this.

You're awful!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

You're awful!

You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Seek SooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What kind of monster would collect all the whacka bumps

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

Also Patrick Bateman is shown to be a horrible person in the film itself, unlike Aiden Pearce. Please stop being a complete moron TIA.

:stonkhat:

He was? I thought the entire movie was about the nuances of quality assurance in business cards? :confused:

Lady Naga posted:

Only if you're unable to accept very basic concepts like "America has a problem with support of vigilante justice and violence as a means of conflict resolution, and media wherein a crazed vigilante murders dozens of people to resolve conflicts does not help that preconception."

A supreme court justice member unironically used 24 as a justification for torture and you're over here telling me that Watch_Dogs affects people in ways we can't possibly know or understand.

I've never played Watch_dogs, but I think everyone here is confused about what you're arguing. Media influences people, for sure. Maybe I see a donut and it influences me to buy it.

It's a moot point. Everything has a degree of influence.

You say that Watch_dogs encourages a character to make lovely decisions, and that's why you dislike it. Fair enough, but you seem to be implying that media should be obligated not to do that?

You mention that a supreme court justice used 24 to justify torture. But is that 24's fault, or the justice's for being a dumbass? If I make a pet killing simulator that gives you achievements for killing pets, yeah that's insane and atrocious. But I'm not obligated by anything but my own personal ethics and my audiences wallets in publishing the game.

So that's why everyone thinks you're implying censorship. Because otherwise yours is a moot point. People are going to buy what appeals to them, and the creators can support or chastise a lovely thing or character but they're not obligated to do either.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

Lots of good things can possibly lead to bad conclusions but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do them. How is saying "Watch_Dogs is bad because it reinforces lovely behavior" "fearmongering"? People sure are reading into a ton of poo poo I didn't say.

You asked how saying "media influences people" justifies censorship, or is contentious. My response is that someone will take [game] and say "[game] caused [event]"

People are outraged over things(games, games-related things) they haven't seen or read or heard for themselves, but the extremely limited exposure that's chosen to represent something leads to premature judgement and an opinion without evidenced justification.

Lady Naga posted:

I have literally no idea how saying "media influences people" justifies censorship, or is even a contentious issue.

"Media influences people" + " 'Watch_Dogs' is bad because it reinforces lovely behavior" = Someone demanding censorship over games

The sensible options of being reasonable and not supporting negative influences doesn't occur, because people are so scared of "yet another shooting" that they will just let someone else handle it. Now I know Aiden's psychopathic, violent behavior and being an rear end in a top hat in general doesn't equate to "gonna commit some crime IRL" but someone will be so emotionally convinced that they never engage their logical processes.

You. You did this. Please don't do this in the future TIA

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Mistle posted:

"Media influences people" + " 'Watch_Dogs' is bad because it reinforces lovely behavior" = Someone demanding censorship over games

No.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mistle posted:

You. You did this. Please don't do this in the future TIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U18EuNN2D0

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I hope you don't see my one word response as aloof or dismissive it's just that what you are saying is so dumb that I cannot be assed to retread the same loving argument I've made three or four times now to deal with it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

game on, friends

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Now I'm trying to think of a protagonist in an open-world GTA style game who isn't morally repugnant. I guess the dude from Red Faction: Guerilla is good since since he's fighting an unjust colonial regime but he does that by destroying infrastructure, killing natives, and being complicit in torture so idk.

Same for the guy in The Saboteur fighting the Nazis as they occupy Paris, though he is a smoker :v:

niko bellic

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

I hope you don't see my one word response as aloof or dismissive it's just that what you are saying is so dumb that I cannot be assed to retread the same loving argument I've made three or four times now to deal with it.

Well, the problem is, he's right, and what you said does correlate to what he's saying. Whether you intended it to be read that way, when multiple people are clearly reading that meaning from it, you may want to rethink how you worded your original point if you think you are being misunderstood.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I want to talk about ONE PIECE Pirate Warriors 3

Because it is

AWESOME yeah you get ALL THE CHARACTERS and one piece has the best characters

I like the giant transvestite with creepy hormone powers and I like the one guy who does Fishman Karate

I can't wait for the inevitable PW4 release. There so many good characters that didn't make the cut for 3. There's no way they'll pass over a ninja character.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

Lady Naga posted:

Media can subtly reinforce previously held belief systems in horrifically negative ways and it's a lot more insidious than "bad games make bad people" actually.

This is not really an argument. This is just an opinion. Replace media with people or religion or bear-watching or freedom of speech and it would be just as valid.

Like the only responses to this I can come up with is, why should anyone care and what can anyone do about it (besides censorship)?

Ravane fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 9, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ravane posted:

This is not really an argument. This is just an opinion. Replace media with people or religion or bear-watching or freedom of speech and it would be just as valid.

Like the only answer I can come up with is, why should anyone care and what can anyone do about it (besides censorship)?

Why should anyone care how media affects people indeed.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm a sjw.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Broseph Brostar posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable PW4 release. There so many good characters that didn't make the cut for 3. There's no way they'll pass over a ninja character.

Besides those weird "new pirates" like Kidd and that one mobster guy, who else was absent from the line-up? I can't think of anyone I'd *really* want off the top of my head, except that all of CP9 should have been available.

poo poo, CP9 should just come back in general, I'd love to see all those guys level up in power for a round two with the Straw Hats. Lucci got kind of a raw deal since he's set up as this pure evil bastard with incredible power, but he's taken out by Luffy lickety split all things considered. I mean, loving moron lightning god dude has a ridiculously long story arc devoted to him and his forgettable lackeys but Lucci gets taken out and Elephant Sword Guy is the only one left standing for the big finale.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lady Naga posted:

I have a responsibility to not talk about my horrific fetishes in public but if I do I'm not going to be thrown in jail or "censored", people are just going to tell me to shut the gently caress up. Perhaps the same can apply to media?

"What should be done about it" indeed.

This conversation literally started because I said "a game with a lovely message is worse than a game with bad gameplay" and people disagreed so I don't know why we're now on the topic of censorship and what is to be done about the fact that people get messages from media, these are questions I am not prepared to answer nor did I say I was.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guys slapfights are to be reserved for the last couple of days of a monthly thread.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Media

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

There's a handful of contestants from the Dressrosa arc that would be fun to play. The most recent arc introduced a kickass giant catman, a pretty cool dogguy, and a ninja with ivankov proportions

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

This word looks weird to me since I've been playing a ton of smt iv lately

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Watch Dogs has bad characters and a bad story, if wanting games to not have bad characters and bad stories is censorship then I dunno

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ravane posted:

Like the only responses to this I can come up with is, why should anyone care and what can anyone do about it (besides censorship)?

source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

This word looks weird to me since I've been playing a ton of smt iv lately

Media goes to jail.

• Locked thread