Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Be honest: Has anyone ever seen Lady Naga and Dominic White in the same room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
IDGI

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was about to say. DW is goddamn optimistic about games.

Lady Naga is the opposite. (well you don't hate all games of course but you are nowhere like DW)

No offense Naga. (Like DW spins for nearly every game he plays holy crap)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Oh it's fine. I like a lot of games I just don't talk about most of them because "I sure do like [thing]" isn't very conducive towards conversation.

I actually spent like 2-3 days talking about how good P3 is but only Colonel and someone else with an anime av felt like talking about it with me :smith:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

I actually spent like 2-3 days talking about how good P3 is but only Colonel and someone else with an anime av felt like talking about it with me :smith:

The strangest part is, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever for Persona 3 to not be as popular as Persona 4. Both were PS2 games with revised versions on PSP, both rated highly among reviewers and gamers, but for some reason, 4 became popular. Advertising maybe?

Anyone who was in on Monster Hunter, MH2, or MH2G on the early PSP is in a similar boat: Newer players joined on the next installment, because it became popular enough a franchise to snag new people on day one. But in the case of Monhun, the QoL improvements in 3 made all but the most hardcore players unable to go back to 2G.

By all means, just throw out good things about the game, you might just convince another gamer to play it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Le funny epic video response!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mistle posted:

The strangest part is, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever for Persona 3 to not be as popular as Persona 4. Both were PS2 games with revised versions on PSP, both rated highly among reviewers and gamers, but for some reason, 4 became popular. Advertising maybe?

Dunno what you remember, but I recall 3 being quite popular, charting near the top of the most visited GameFAQs pages for a good long time, seemed to get nothing but positive buzz and Aigis was kind of a crossover character. There was a huge amount of hype going into Persona 4, and concern it would be too similar to 3, and then it came out and was loving sweet.

As far as I recall, both games were pretty well received, the word-of-mouth and positive buzz of three serving to make four bigger and more broadly appealing, much in the same way Demon's Souls took Dark Souls out of the niche market and into the mainstream.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
PS4 has more waifubait so that's why it's more popular.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mistle posted:

Well, look at what's different. P4 has a brighter tone. It's the cheeriest murder mystery simulator there is!

The "find the killer/save the hostage!" structure to P4's plot is a lot more driving than "well there's a tower here might as well scale it/a thing pops out every month." It's active compared to P3's reactive. It better paces P4's cast expansion since a new party member directly follows the successful rescue beat. Shinjiro, Ken, and Koromaru just sorta join when they feel like.

Maybe people are weird and the pop-rock soundtrack resonated better than the hip-hop one.

P4 introduced direct control of party members after P3's AI control, and it removed the sickness mechanic so the limit to exploring was HP/SP instead of the game telling you no, you can't, because of reasons. The P4 party members also have broader skill sets, which are customizable. Yukari keeps Charmdi the entire game. With Yukiko you can choose how much to emphasize her healing or her fire magic and have a real choice between Salvation and Mediarahan.

In general the gameplay is a lot more polished in P4, in a thousand little ways.

P4's social link writing is a lot better. You can tell P3 was the first time they wrote social links. They're too brief and the MC doesn't really do much but stand near the events. Hell, compare the new girl links in P3P to the ones remaining from vanilla, and the gap is pretty obvious. There's also the time limit to maintain links in P3 that isn't in P4 (and P3P thankfully).

Maybe it's just me, but P4's main characters feel more cohesive as a group. They play off of each other better. Mitsuru and Akihiko are so aloof that it doesn't even feel like they're in the same cutscenes as Junpei and Yukari. P4's cast is helped by sequences that have no purpose but a few social link point dialogue prompts and no relation to the overarching murder mystery story but give the characters plenty of time to bicker with each other, like the camp. The only situations like that in P3 are the island trip and the school trip, but they get swept up in the story as well.

And P4 has a better waifu selection on average. That's probably the biggest reason.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Do you wish to suggest an alternative interpretation?

do uthink typing like this is a 10th grade essay makes u sound smart

Ravane posted:

Yeah, after I understood that this is what he meant, I stopped arguing. I feel like this statement could have been made clearer if Naga stopped posting like a thirteen year old on tumblr.

Anyways, namaste. :) Let's all move on.

lol youre a loving nerd/baby/w/e

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's not like P3 is unpopular, 4 just expanded the success that 3 established.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

u two are the weird ones in this situation i ohpethis helps

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Lol I just noticed the "he".

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well said, Orange Fluffy Sheep. That really just sums it all up.

Stux posted:

Well I'd certainly hope it'd make me sound coherent.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stux posted:

lol youre a loving nerd/baby/w/e

Typing like you would honestly take more effort.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 9, 2016

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well I'd certainly hope it'd make me sound coherent.

makes u sound like a fedora

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Stux posted:

makes u sound like a fedora

yer mum's a fedora *ticks 'yer mum' box*

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Though I recall reading somewhere that P1 sold ridiculously well for what it was, but that could easily be bullshit.

e: Looking it up, I guess it's the best-selling vanilla release, but when you factor in the rereleases P3 and 4 have sold far more.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 9, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Motto posted:

Though I recall reading somewhere that P1 sold ridiculously well for what it was, but that could easily be bullshit.

e: Looking it up, I guess it's the best-selling vanilla release, but when you factor in the rereleases P3 and 4 have sold far more.

Do you mean worldwide or just Japan

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Do you mean worldwide or just Japan

Just japan as far I was able to find.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

Le funny epic video response!

Please don't do this.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Motto posted:

Just japan as far I was able to find.

Oh well that doesn't mean much.

Ravane posted:

Please don't do this.

Okay dad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
brothers in arms furious four...lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ravane posted:

Please don't do this.

lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

*puffs on vape pipe*

me and your internet mother are very upset with u

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I almost forgot, maybe it's just me again, but P4's setting is a lot more grounded. Yasogami is just a regional high school in a small town vs. Gekkoukan and Tatsumi Port Island being so opulent, and the scooby doo gang having to investigate on their own because the police won't believe them is a lot lower scale than SEES and whatever relationship it has with the Kirijo Group, who can't even spare a few thousand yen to make sure Stupei has a real sword, it seems.

The lower scale keeps things more relatable.

Honestly it's a lot like Donkey Kong Country 1 vs. 2. 1's not bad, but 2 just takes its conceits and refines the hell out of them.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Someone already said that I think?

As long as we are repeating things let me again state how much I prefer P3's palette because holy poo poo blues and greens with the deep reds are awesome.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Dreamfall Chapters looks pretty great. It's on Humble, I'm considering getting it. I really liked the Longest Journey (except for the insane puzzle logic) and I didn't mind Dreamfall (though those martial arts sequences were horrendous). Dreamfall Chapters looks a lot more grounded.

Def might get it, just because the plot is incredible.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Lady Naga posted:

I have literally no idea how saying "media influences people" justifies censorship, or is even a contentious issue.

I'd point you years of Italian politicians screaming against videogames like The Sims or stuff like Sailor Moon that they made people gay after newspapers touched on that issue.

Only when Videogames distributors started to flood newspapers of advertisement stopped the cyclical "oh wow videogames are terrible" at least here. Before? It was just a deluge of articles where videogames turned people into monsters [1].

Correlation is not causation, yet people like Jack Thompson, in our case idiots like Giovanardi or Casini, liked to use "uhrr durr, there are violent games and our kids are crap then therefore ban videogames", the only thing that so called-"criticism" omits is the "therefore..." part, but you can't tell me that some people will introduce the "therefore..." part later in the discourse, because I have seen that happening too.

In any case if anyone thinks that videogames turn people violent he is welcome to stop paying the videogames industry and stop playing online videogames, because he is contributing to the problem.

[1] I'm talking about stuff we have seen here in 1996, because some idiots started throwing rocks at speeding cars under highway bridges and killed a lady in the process, and at the the time according to newspapers it was [http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubblica/archivio/repubblica/1997/01/22/giocavano-in-piazza-ken-il-guerriero.html]Hokuto no Ken's fault[/url], even if I read another newspaper pointing the finger at namco's shooting gallery game "Point Blank" (That's why the kids screamed "bingo" when they hit a car).

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

Someone already said that I think?

As long as we are repeating things let me again state how much I prefer P3's palette because holy poo poo blues and greens with the deep reds are awesome.

I found P3's palette kind of muted and the Dark Hour is really more puke green and red which makes me think of a cheesy Halloween haunted house.

The visual diversity of the dungeons in P4 was nice, but I think I'm a weirdo and prefer Tartarus overall. Mostly 'cause I think a giant tower ought to be in every SMT game, but also because I rather liked that there's this one continuous obstacle that it takes me the entire game to very steadily overcome. It's more effective if you don't play the game optimally, that is to say, you go to Tatarus and dick around and don't just go straight for the checkpoints or clear your way to the gate in one night like most seasoned players do. By pacing yourself, it makes Tartarus feel even bigger, and it's all the more meaningful when finally you reach the top, after all the incredible adventures it took to get there.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

limaCAT posted:

I'd point you years of Italian politicians screaming against videogames like The Sims or stuff like Sailor Moon that they made people gay after newspapers touched on that issue.

Only when Videogames distributors started to flood newspapers of advertisement stopped the cyclical "oh wow videogames are terrible" at least here. Before? It was just a deluge of articles where videogames turned people into monsters [1].

Correlation is not causation, yet people like Jack Thompson, in our case idiots like Giovanardi or Casini, liked to use "uhrr durr, there are violent games and our kids are crap then therefore ban videogames", the only thing that so called-"criticism" omits is the "therefore..." part, but you can't tell me that some people will introduce the "therefore..." part later in the discourse, because I have seen that happening too.

In any case if anyone thinks that videogames turn people violent he is welcome to stop paying the videogames industry and stop playing online videogames, because he is contributing to the problem.

Oh my god read the thread.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I found P3's palette kind of muted and the Dark Hour is really more puke green and red which makes me think of a cheesy Halloween haunted house.

I prefer muted to bright yellow.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

I prefer muted to bright yellow.

It's gold!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Do other people primarily associate games with certain colours? Because generally when I think of a game the first thing I think of is the main primary colours used throughout. Like when I think of rear end Creed I think of blinding white, or Doom I think of dark browns/reds/greys...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

stux is your thread still alive because this one got bad

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Mak0rz posted:

stux is your thread still alive because this one got bad

What is it with the cadre of shitposters that love to show up and talk about how caring about stuff is gay the minute any remotely serious discussion happens?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
if you are reading this, then i hope you are having a good day or night or whatever time of day it is, and i wish you best of luck in having a fun and chill day

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Lady Naga posted:

Only if you're unable to accept very basic concepts like "America has a problem with support of vigilante justice and violence as a means of conflict resolution, and media wherein a crazed vigilante murders dozens of people to resolve conflicts does not help that preconception."

:911:You are selling semi-automatic weapons to insane people.:911:

Lady Naga posted:

Oh my god read the thread.

Unfortunately I'm stuck in doing it there won't be ESA associates advertisement money to flood it and wash out all the basic cultural media criticism like what happened post 2000s.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

FirstAidKite posted:

if you are reading this, then i hope you are having a good day or night or whatever time of day it is, and i wish you best of luck in having a fun and chill day

Thank you gramps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Also good morning everyone, the division is a fun game.

• Locked thread