Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

rabidsquid posted:

It also kills fetchlands.

It also doesn't tap for mana when you need it to, doesn't colorscrew your opponent as effectively, and doesn't take out critical lands like sol lands or manlands after turn 1.

I mean yeah it's not strictly worse than Wasteland but let's not pretend it isn't a downgrade overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sigma-X posted:

I think that card is not very good outside of crucible of worlds, I say print it!

I think it's too much with Crucible since it's giving something very close to strip mine loops to Modern and Legacy.

Just tape on an "if this would go to the graveyard, exile it instead" clause and it becomes a very weird take on the anti-land land concept.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think it's too much with Crucible since it's giving something very close to strip mine loops to Modern and Legacy.

Just tape on an "if this would go to the graveyard, exile it instead" clause and it becomes a very weird take on the anti-land land concept.

I don't think it's OP for legacy but it is probably too strong for modern.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
"is at its best on turn 1" is the exact opposite of where they want to go with their nonbasic land hate :v: But seriously, this hypothetical card seems like it would be the worst of both worlds. It's much worse for sniping whatever nonbasic is currently making GBS threads on the format and better at just randomly pissing off poor landscrewed motherfuckers. It's a strip mine that can potentially troll its user as hard as its victim.

... Okay, I sorta want it to be printed now.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Against many modern mana bases, ghost quarter is a strip mine after you recur it a couple times. It's good enough to make a bad rear end gifts pile.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Everyone is ignoring the most important question : what would the art be?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
MaRo burning a pile of duals and fetches in his hands as he grins sinisterly

e: this design is better against t1 fetch than wasteland/strip mine!

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Nah, that's not banal enough for true evil. The art would be someone adhering its playtest sticker onto actual Workshops, Karakas, Gaea's Cradles, et. al.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It would also be insane with loam

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Could've been in BFZ/OGW as an Eldrazi-themed land with "each player exiles a land he or she controls". Enables processors, too!

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Uncharted Realms: Avacyn, Gisela and Bruna are straight-up murdering humans, Sigarda is not on board...yet, there used to be a BW angel but Avacyn killed her.

But at least everyone gets a new card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Magic Story - Avacyn is Evil Now

* Avacyn has mostly been flying around around Innistrad doing random chores and such. She's kind of aloof and whatever and doesn't understand human emotion very much. She hears a prayer to save some kid who wandered off in the forest so she goes to save him. When she gets back she is struck with some kind of vision of "obelisks with runes carved on them." (they're not described as specifically looking like hedrons, but its from Avacyn's point of view, so they could just be those liths we've seen) She suddenly starts to notice people are kind of assholes and kids are pretty gross. She flies off thinking how lovely people are.

* Skips over to a story about a priest whose faith in Avacyn is wavering because he doesn't know if she's actually a god or worth worshipping. As a result, Avacyn herself shows up and he gets all happy but then she starts saying a bunch of threatening things to him about how she's lost faith in HIM; he pisses himself.

* Skips to a story about a werewolf whose curse was cured by the Cursemute. He's settled into a happy life as a blacksmith with his family now that the curse has abated. His house is oddly destroyed, but he mostly notices that his family keeps telling him not to answer the door. It turns out this is all in his mind and the curse came back and he murdered them all. He's super upset and an angel shows up and immediately murders him.

* Sigarda is floating around doing friendly angel poo poo when Bruna and Gisela show up, obviously having been converted to evil and apparently ready to fight Sigarda. Sigarda reminisces that Sigarda, Gisela and Bruna are all "sisters," but Avacyn was something else that just showed up one day. There was also a fourth "sister," (presumably a W/B one) that would often make alliances with demons and such; Avacyn apparently killed the fourth sister and banned mention of her name. Sigarda is regretful that she didn't stop Avacyn from killing the fourth sister. Avacyn herself shows up and starts spouting off about how humans are the real evil and if the angels kill them all the world would be pure. Sigarda thinks this is some wacky poo poo and starts preparing to fight Avacyn (even though she admits she's get wrecked in a fight with her). But instead Avacyn just tells Sigarda she'll one day be converted like Bruna and Gisela were and instead of fighting, blows up Sigarda's house and flies away. Sigarda is just like "well gently caress" because she doesn't think anyone else is around that could realistically fight Avacyn.

* The woman who lost her child from the first story is looking for her child who got lost again when she notices that angels approach the village and are looking might evil today. She sends her kid into the woods again when Avacyn shows up and starts murdering everyone. She's pretty interested in murdering the kid too, but the woman sent it away. Story ends with Avacyn relishing the thought of murdering everyone.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
That roborosewater card is a markov chain at its best b/c that is an interesting, unique and logically printable card i don't think anybody has ever thought of before.

All the pointless and broken cards with undefined X values were worth it

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I hate to defend Wizards Creative on, well, anything, but in the full uncharted realms article they actually gave a pretty good justification for being able to kill the eldrazi. Supposedly the roil was Zendikar being pissed off at the Eldrazi and trying to attack them, but they were suppressed by the hedron network. So when Nissa does her hand wavey nonsense, she's actually freeing Zendikar's mana given animated form, and put a giant neon letter sign "THOSE GUYS YOU HATE ARE RIGHT HERE" and so Ulamog and Kozilek got walloped by thousands of years of blue balls from the plane. After that, "set them on fire" would have worked pretty much as well as anything else.

Now they could have quoted ANY of this on Bonds of Mortality, like "Nissa freed the spirit of zendikar and gave it a target to unleash millenia of pent-up rage--Ulamog and Kozilek" or something. Wizards is really bad about hitting plot points in the cards themselves. Like this isn't as bad as something like ELSPETH DYING OFF CAMERA but it still pissed off a bunch of people when the full explanation would have been alot more satisfying.

e: also Ugin shows up later and goes WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE and when they try to give him lip he's all YOU LITERALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN YOU KILL THE ELDRAZI TITANS

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 9, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think it's hard to defend wizards creative immediately after the unveiling of "we must destroy the humans to protect the planet" AI decision. i mean angels decision.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I'm just going to continue to assume that all they burned were the physical emanations of ulamog and kozilek into the plane and they are still out there in the blind eternities, to return when the stars are right

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

UberJew posted:

I'm just going to continue to assume that all they burned were the physical emanations of ulamog and kozilek into the plane and they are still out there in the blind eternities, to return when the stars are right

They were obviously a deception of Kozilek

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Uncharted Realms: Avacyn, Gisela and Bruna are straight-up murdering humans, Sigarda is not on board...yet, there used to be a BW angel but Avacyn killed her.

But at least everyone gets a new card.

That first one looks like an anime character.

The other two are cool, though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

I think it's hard to defend wizards creative immediately after the unveiling of "we must destroy the humans to protect the planet" AI decision. i mean angels decision.

I'm sure wizards creative is the only one who's ever done this oh wait I'm sitting around in Dalaran and this dead rear end in a top hat started talking again

quote:

Raise your eyes to the skies and observe! Today our world's destruction has been averted in defiance of our very makers!

Algalon the Observer, herald of the titans, has been defeated by our brave comrades in the depths of the titan city of Ulduar.

Algalon was sent here to judge the fate of our world. He found a planet whose races had deviated from the titans' blueprints. A planet where not everything had gone according to plan.

Cold logic deemed our world not worth saving. Cold logic, however, does not account for the power of free will. It's up to each of us to prove this is a world worth saving. That our lives... our lives are worth living.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Uh actually that makes pretty good sense to me. Madness is afflicting everything in Innistrad and it wouldn't take much to turn someone like Avacyn into an Akroma-style murder everyone that opposes us.

e: Sigarda was always my favorite :smug:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 9, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

A big flaming stink posted:

I hate to defend Wizards Creative on, well, anything, but in the full uncharted realms article they actually gave a pretty good justification for being able to kill the eldrazi. Supposedly the roil was Zendikar being pissed off at the Eldrazi and trying to attack them, but they were suppressed by the hedron network. So when Nissa does her hand wavey nonsense, she's actually freeing Zendikar's mana given animated form, and put a giant neon letter sign "THOSE GUYS YOU HATE ARE RIGHT HERE" and so Ulamog and Kozilek got walloped by thousands of years of blue balls from the plane. After that, "set them on fire" would have worked pretty much as well as anything else.

Now they could have quoted ANY of this on Bonds of Mortality, like "Nissa freed the spirit of zendikar and gave it a target to unleash millenia of pent-up rage--Ulamog and Kozilek" or something. Wizards is really bad about hitting plot points in the cards themselves. Like this isn't as bad as something like ELSPETH DYING OFF CAMERA but it still pissed off a bunch of people when the full explanation would have been alot more satisfying.

e: also Ugin shows up later and goes WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE and when they try to give him lip he's all YOU LITERALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN YOU KILL THE ELDRAZI TITANS

They also put up that uncharted realms a month after the Fat Pack told the story, where it amounted to "Chandra used Fire Spin! It's super effective!", immediately after which several WotC people held panels or made posts saying that yes really the Eldrazi are dead for real and Ugin was wrong and you really do just need to use fire and they're not coming back.

This is the same company that says leaks are The Worst Thing In The World because they make the story be told in the wrong order.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Angry Grimace posted:

There was also a fourth "sister," (presumably a W/B one) that would often make alliances with demons and such; Avacyn apparently killed the fourth sister and banned mention of her name. Sigarda is regretful that she didn't stop Avacyn from killing the fourth sister.

Emeria!!

No you shut up.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Is that third picture supposed to be Gisela?

Because it's pretty not-Gisela in terms of armor.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Is that third picture supposed to be Gisela?

Because it's pretty not-Gisela in terms of armor.

pretty sure those pictures are bruna, sigarda, and the dead B/W angel

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah it's NOT Gisela my bad.

Also I think it's pretty obvious that Avacyn didn't turn Sigarda evil because she's hexproof, so Sigarda doesn't even notice the field of magical resentment or w/e that's surrounding Avacyn.

Also, for the record, I enjoyed the article.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 9, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Uh actually that makes pretty good sense to me. Madness is afflicting everything in Innistrad and it wouldn't take much to turn someone like Avacyn into an Akroma-style murder everyone that opposes us.

It's just a ridiculously played out trope imo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I expect total originality in my fantasy stories

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I mean, it makes sense that Sigarda isn't affected by Ray of Command given that, you know, she has hexproof.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I expect total originality in my fantasy stories

I expect you to not shitpost but here we are

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

That third angel is definitely not Gisela, it looks like the mysterious fourth angel somehow brought back or just some generic angel.

So Avacyn's madness is coming from the moon itself, with its energies being channeled to Avacyn by Nahiri. Clearly Emrakul is inside/on/behind the moon. It could just be hiding out there and Nahiri is channeling its maddening energy with her cryptoliths, or perhaps Emrakul is actually bound inside the moon with hedrons (unlikely, though, since it takes a LONG time for Nahiri to create hedrons and she is much less familiar with the leylines of Innistrad). I would guess that Nahiri is being affected by the same madness afflicting Avacyn and has been turned into a pawn of Emrakul.

That picture of Sorin destroying Avacyn with Jace and Tamiyo rushing in is probably the point in the story after Jace figures out that Avacyn is not responsible for her madness, it was really Emrakul! Tamiyo would be the one to know there is something wrong with the moon, after all, and Jace has her journal. And he and Tamiyo find Sorin just as he is destroying Avacyn and they tell him what's going on, and he probably destroys her anyway after a scorching one-liner. They confront Nahiri, and they look to the moon, but what's that coming from behind the moon? To be continued in Eldritch Moon....

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 9, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

rabidsquid posted:

:ironicat:

Please tell me the irony of this statement is not lost on you.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cernunnos posted:

What irony??

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Calicform pools :lol:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

We've come full circle.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cernunnos posted:

No, but it seems to be lost on you

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Since there is supposed to be a fourth angelflight, is it the Flight Moonsilver that's on the spoiled card? Since Sigarda said they were all wiped out, I would assume it means the W/B Angel is back, or coming back in Eldritch Moon. But "Moonsilver" sounds a lot like Avacyn's personal angelflight.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 9, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
"Did I know rabidsquid would post poorly?" Urza asked quizzically. "I was counting on it."

or

Posting doesn't need a purpose; the post is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I post.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It doesn't look like Gisela but she has a sword and red hair and the other two are there, it is definitely Gisela.

quote:

"Sister. The great work shall begin," said the other. When she couldn't see their faces, Sigarda realized she could no longer recognize which voice belonged to whom.

hack writing or foreshadowing???

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hopefully hack writing because none of the weird poo poo going on is Phyrexian in nature at all.

Eyeballs on curtains is probably not on the Phyrexian Agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Since there is supposed to be a fourth angelflight, is it the Flight Moonsilver that's on the spoiled card? Since Sigarda said they were all wiped out, I would assume it means the W/B Angel is back, or coming back in Eldritch Moon. But "Moonsilver" sounds a lot like Avacyn's personal angelflight.

I assume the now-evil angels are flight moonsilver

• Locked thread