Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

It looks like there's always already hay in the feeder in the barn/coop - do they not eat from there? You move it from there to the trough?

well you said your silo is full so uh yeah put it in the trough

the deluxe barns/coops have autofeeders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Ville Valo posted:

Edit: Oh, and there's 240/240 hay in the Silo.

Fyi, you can just keep pulling hay put of the silo if there's nothing in the trough (it seems bugged otherwise) and your silo is full too.

I have something like 400 pieces of fodder hanging out in chests.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

inthesto posted:

If you have a mayo maker, chickens are still profitable through the winter. A full grain silo still feeds 8 animals through an entire month.

Cheese is also profitable after your cows get over the zero-hearts hump.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The White Dragon posted:

I'm sure Leah is a cool character but damned if I can ever find her anywhere. Maybe like once a week at Harvey's shop.

Her and Elliott are annoying because, jokes about their work ethic as spouses aside, they're actually very industrious in their normal routine. They spend the majority of their time in their cabins, working on their respective pursuits. Leah spends most of her time drawing and sculpting, while Elliott spends a ton of time writing. This would be fine since most characters move around a bit, but unlike everyone's other favorite recluse, Sebastian, they don't even have the common courtesy to live in a semi-public house where you can ambush them as they scoot around. Their cabins are one hundred percent private. It makes getting to 2 hearts with them a colossal pain.

That said, I just read the XML and here's your opportunities for them. My understanding is that priorities are from top to bottom, so if a criteria fits on line 2, it takes precedence over line 5, for example. This hasn't steered me wrong yet when attempting to track down characters, but I could always be wrong.

Leah:
- Raining, Winter: Saloon at 4PM till midnight.
- Monday: Pierre's shop from 11AM till 5PM.
- Friday: Saloon at 4PM till midnight
- Saturday: Saloon at 4PM till midnight.
- Summer: Beach from noon until 7PM.
- Spring: Forest lake from noon until 7PM.

Elliott:
- Rain: Don't even loving bother, he doesn't leave his house.
- Winter, Fall: Museum from 11:30AM to 5:30PM.
- Thursdays: Pierre's from 11:30AM to 5:30PM.
- Fridays and Sundays: Beach from 11AM to 5PM, then saloon until midnight.
- Summer: Forest near Leah's camping spot from 11:30 AM to 6 PM.
- Spring: Beach from noon to 1:30 PM. Then in his house the rest of the day.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
hmm yes penny, winter during a blizzard is an ideal time to take the students for a study picnic

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSJ9iLNurPY

I hate everyone who closes at 4 PM

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Those speech bubbles ("Looking for some supplies?" "Oh, hi!" etc.) are tied to entering the house, but show up over the character's head even if the character isn't in their home!

I went into Leah's house when she was outside, then quickly exited and as she was walking offscreen she had the "Oh, hi!" speech bubble over her head. A bug, but a very benign one. :shobon:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

HopperUK posted:

Are you sure? I'm certain I bought a fiddlehead fern from the trader last night and I'm in spring of year 2.

This is a while back, but I want to confirm that the trader actually does sell fiddlehead ferns sometimes. Just gotta believe.

Has anyone ever just plain lost an item? I had a void egg that I wanted to put in the incubator, but when I went to look for it, it was just nowhere to be found. Not in my inventory or any of my chests. The collection screen shows I haven't shipped one, either. And it's not like I just trashed it by accident.

Are they counted as normal eggs for the purpose of cooking? I wonder did I accidentally make it into an omelette.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Heavy Lobster posted:

Just got this game and overheard that it's really difficult to keep animals profitable through the winter because they graze way too fast and feed is really expensive; any insight on how to avoid that, or if it's even true? I've always liked having a solid chicken coop in Harvest Moon.

This is wildly incorrect. Grazing is way more efficient than feeding them hay. Animals will only eat one tile of grass per day. You're not guaranteed hay at all for every tile of grass you use the scythe on.

If you're going to do animals, make sure you get your grass starters planted ahead of time so you can get a decent field going. Plan your Barn and Coop location so that you have grass growing from as many directions as possible to maintain growth. I recommend building them a bit north of the small pond to the south, which is pretty much the center of the farm plot. When cutting for hay, make sure you do it from the opposite end your animals will be grazing from, and to not cut too far in. Leave some at the furthest reaches so that the area you cut down grows back from both directions.

Anyone who thinks animals are going through grass too fast just didn't plan ahead for actually having the animals and expected a handful of grass starters to flourish in to a big field overnight.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 9, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

People tell me Pierre never has tools in his shop but that can't be because there's always a big one on display whenever I'm over there.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Met posted:

Keeps them together for petting.

I just pet them in the morning when they're all together in the coop/barn. If you just close the hatch after letting them out they seem to just teleport into the building at night anyway.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Bad Seafood posted:

People tell me Pierre never has tools in his shop but that can't be because there's always a big one on display whenever I'm over there.
Going the Jojamart route and marrying Abigail on my next playthrough to spite Pierre.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

grrarg posted:

Going the Jojamart route and marrying Abigail on my next playthrough to spite Pierre.

I'm all for marrying Abby but siding with Joja just has a certain soullessness that I can't do

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The most disappointing thing about this game is that all the interpersonal interactions are really sparse and disconnected. You can be wooing someone, and get married, and their housemates aren't even aware of it. You can progress though events, but they never have any effect on anything or anyone. I just got done with year 1, and it's kind of giving me whiplash, literally nothing in the town has changed (barring one obvious exception) except for some token dialogue that I can only read once a day, and tends to repeat several times over the month. I even had Maru ask if I knew her dad was a scientist. Yes, I have 8 hearts with him and have chatted with him for a year, I think I know that by now.

Maybe this is something mods can fix, given time? I really enjoyed the first year of the game, but I think I was more interested in socializing than the farming/crafting mechanics. Add some more dialogue lines and cues for different times in their schedules, so when you bump into Sebastian by the lake he doesn't give you the same canned response you get if you chat him up in his room (or worse, no response because you already chatted him up in his room that day). Probably a lot of work though.

Then there's the obvious issue of your spouses never leaving the house, even for the ones that actually supposedly do things or have goals that involve doing things. Hell, when I started playing unspoiled, and got about halfway through Abigail's events I half expected that if I married her we'd go on kicking rad caving expeditions together. Nope, cooking and chores. This seems like it would be a problem for most of the other romances too, especially Alex or Leah.

Still a really fun game, all in all. Still trying to get peoples hearts up without cheating and looking up their favorites immediately. Having to chat with their friends to learn what they like is a good mechanic!.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The restored community center scene is pretty cringeworthy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I can't believe you can't woo the Jojomart dude. I WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH loving EVERYONE

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So after fishing my rear end off in the Spring, I am about to hit Fishing 5. Which skill direction have people found to be best in practice? The trapper route jumped with the whole no bait required bit but I don't know how useful that is in practice.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
In my limited non-minmaxing experience traps are garbage. Too much micromanagement for what they produce, compared to what I can generate in an evening with a fishing rod when I don't have anything else to do that night. Not having to bait them would be nice, but you'd still have to hike to them and empty them every day, so you might as well just bait them too. Bait's dirt loving cheap, kill some bugs in the mines, make like 100 fish food, you're set for a month.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

So after fishing my rear end off in the Spring, I am about to hit Fishing 5. Which skill direction have people found to be best in practice? The trapper route jumped with the whole no bait required bit but I don't know how useful that is in practice.

Crap Trapping is pretty garbage to be honest. Go with the fish route.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So Kent showed up in town and I guess his intro event at my farm was overwritten by either Leah or Gunther stopping by on Spring 1 (Y2). That's kinda annoying since without it you have no idea who the gently caress they are.

Also, CA needs to make the loving fridge bigger. It's my only major complaint right now other then bad event triggers like the above.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Aside from what has already been said, fishing is good money. If you're halfway competent at the fishing minigame, you could probably fund your entire farm on fishing alone. It's probably the skill-choice I had the least problems picking.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Steelion posted:

Maybe this is something mods can fix, given time?

No, this is something that mods are probably least likely to fix. I'm not sure I've ever seen a mod for any game ever whose aim was simply adding more/improved dialogue to the existing character set. It's not a very glamorous mod to make, it would come with a lot of creative restrictions, and I don't think modders would do a very good job at it, anyways.

This game was basically made by one person, right? ConcernedApe doesn't seem like a great writer, and that shows. The characters are pretty devoid of personality overall, and you can also tell that his priorities lied elsewhere in the game's development when you see how much repeat dialogue there is. There's still a good chunk of dialogue, though. There's a lot more than your average Harvest Moon game, but less than your average Rune Factory game. The Rune Factory games had one or more dedicated writers on staff, who were good at what they did. You can't really expect that out of an indie HM clone, so I've come to terms with the dialogue's mediocrity.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 9, 2016

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Well, you never know. Maybe some of those old Baldur's Gate banter pack or whatever they called it modders are still alive and hungry for banter.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My chickens have started laying fewer and fewer eggs until a couple days ago they just stopped. They are being let outside with plenty of pasture and it says "[name] is fine" when I click them. Middle of fall, and when I had them inside and for a few days after starting to let them outside, they were each laying eggs every day. What the hell why are animals no good

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Digirat posted:

My chickens have started laying fewer and fewer eggs until a couple days ago they just stopped. They are being let outside with plenty of pasture and it says "[name] is fine" when I click them. Middle of fall, and when I had them inside and for a few days after starting to let them outside, they were each laying eggs every day. What the hell why are animals no good

eat them

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Digirat posted:

I think that they have you pegged as a spy for the Gotoro Empire.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If the beak crew refuses to make me the delicacies I pay them to make, they may just become the delicacy in a few days' time

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So I just got the diamond quest for Clint and like five minutes later I peeked into a trash can for kicks and found a loving diamond in it. Sometimes lucky?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

idonotlikepeas posted:

According to the developer, the event number is 6. So look in the save file for eventsSeen and delete <int>6</int>. If you have the same problem with Leah (who apparently also often gets stuck), you nuke <int>54</int> instead.

EDIT: It probably doesn't need to be said, but if you're going to mess with your save game, back it up first!

EDIT2: Some references:

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/706245691383816194

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/706245797239631872

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/706310669247754240

Thanks for the answer. I guess I'll try bumbling around. Are these getting fixed next patch? Does the beta patch fix them? It mentions events but not these bugs in particular.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Steelion posted:

In my limited non-minmaxing experience traps are garbage. Too much micromanagement for what they produce, compared to what I can generate in an evening with a fishing rod when I don't have anything else to do that night. Not having to bait them would be nice, but you'd still have to hike to them and empty them every day, so you might as well just bait them too. Bait's dirt loving cheap, kill some bugs in the mines, make like 100 fish food, you're set for a month.

You can put them in the little pond near your house and get freshwater critters out of them, no hike involved... Still fiddly though but right next to where I have my barn.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got a letter from elliot saying his novel was finished and he would be reading it in the library tomorrow, which was the fair, so it never happened. I went to the library the day after that and he wasn't there. Can I still marry him

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Never had a waifu before Abigail. No idea if this is true or not but the goth being named Abigail is a reference to King Diamond in my head and nothing will change that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Leah, we really need to talk about the work you're doing

e: By the way, how does animal pregnancy work? I've had an adult cow and goat for two or three months now, and neither of them has gotten pregnant yet.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 9, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

ChogsEnhour posted:

Never had a waifu before Abigail. No idea if this is true or not but the goth being named Abigail is a reference to King Diamond in my head and nothing will change that.

GRANDMAAAAAAA!!!!!

I transitioned over to Summer last night and I completely redid my garden and chicken coop setups. This is the first game in a very long time where I worried or cared about aesthetics and fence layout. Also got upgrades to my axe and pickaxe and cleared out more of the farm. There's something so zen about this game :3:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

inthesto posted:

Leah, we really need to talk about the work you're doing

e: By the way, how does animal pregnancy work? I've had an adult cow and goat for two or three months now, and neither of them has gotten pregnant yet.

it' s pretty rare, I've had my barn for almost 2 full years and think i've had 3 animal births (2 cows and a sheep). maybe 4 now, dont remember for sure

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm looking forward to the winter if only so I can erase all my crops and "start over" with a much better aesthetic. Having the greenhouse will help keep the money coming in, and really I only have both coop and barn filled for gifts, not really money. Also thanks re:Anglerfish. I was in the right spot, I guess I was just being impatient since I got the Mutant and Crimsonfish within a few casts each time.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Heavy Lobster posted:

Just got this game and overheard that it's really difficult to keep animals profitable through the winter because they graze way too fast and feed is really expensive; any insight on how to avoid that, or if it's even true? I've always liked having a solid chicken coop in Harvest Moon.
Animals are always profitable as long as you make artisan goods. Even if you exclusively buy hay. They just aren't very lucrative compared to crops/kegs. I'd definitely get some animals for some free income and to get the items.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
So I realized something a little strange. I never learned how to make bait despite being Fishing level 9. I looked, and the recipe definitely isn't in my list. I have a giant stack of bug meat and nothing to do with it unless I want to go the extra mile and make Linus's... special bait. Is there a flag I can change on my save file to give me the recipe or something? I care deeply about achievements and want the one for crafting everything.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Does fishing ever get not miserable? I'm at fishing 3 or maybe 4 and I can catch river fish pretty reliably but in a lake or ocean the fish bounce around like crazy and I can't catch poo poo. So far I'm not a big fan of this flappy bird bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This game was basically made by one person, right? ConcernedApe doesn't seem like a great writer, and that shows. The characters are pretty devoid of personality overall, and you can also tell that his priorities lied elsewhere in the game's development when you see how much repeat dialogue there is. There's still a good chunk of dialogue, though. There's a lot more than your average Harvest Moon game, but less than your average Rune Factory game. The Rune Factory games had one or more dedicated writers on staff, who were good at what they did. You can't really expect that out of an indie HM clone, so I've come to terms with the dialogue's mediocrity.

This. I have some faint hope that CA will eventually flesh out these areas of the game on his own - I think way earlier in the thread, someone shared that he's hoping to flesh out marriage someday.

That would be awesome, and I'll look forward to that (especially things like others in town actually being aware you got married, or the people you're dating actually acting like it instead of talking about mundane things), but the base game is a ton of fun and I'm really impressed with the level of detail this one person poured into it. No wonder it took years and years to release.

I'm really grateful for the dungeon crawling aspects, because Rune Factory ruined me forever and I can't just play straight up Harvest Moon anything anymore. The last one I touched was Tale of Two Towns.

E:

Mazz posted:

So Kent showed up in town and I guess his intro event at my farm was overwritten by either Leah or Gunther stopping by on Spring 1 (Y2). That's kinda annoying since without it you have no idea who the gently caress they are.

I suspect that's actually why I got locked out of Sebastian's 10 heart event in my old save. I met criteria for both it and Linus's 4 heart event, so it showed me Linus and then I never saw the other. I imagine it may have flagged both as seen since I met the requirements for both and they have the same trigger area.

Alligator Pie fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 9, 2016