Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

9foxtails posted:

I'm liking the game so far. To me it seems this game is a hybrid of monster hunter and harvest moon. I know it is way to early to start talking about end game, but what is in store for goontang? Territorial conquest, market fuckery?
Market fuckery is iffy, but can be done to some extent, with a collective effort. Given the amount of nodes and castles, I would expect that we can pretend on some of the better 2nd tier nodes, provided that plenty of goons keep their interest with the game. However, it is unclear how much goons, and people in general, will have lasting interest for the game, so it is early to make conclusive statements about either. As well as that, the Harvest Moon aspect of the game is outright enormous, compared to every other game in the class, so you can spend ages just doing that and be merry with it - nothing in this game does strictly push you to hunt monsters or engage other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Wile E. Coyoto Gets Wise

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I bought a wagon!

Things are going great so far!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Is the game pretty much all tutorial till you hit the first actual city? (Calpheon?)

I'm having fun, and it's hitting my "play more" buttons, which MMO's don't normally do (including WoW), so my 7 day trial is likely to convert.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

when are people who can send out guild invites usually on? i've tried finding any of the four or five people that i was told can invite, but you're all never on when i am.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

mehall posted:

Is the game pretty much all tutorial till you hit the first actual city? (Calpheon?)

I'm having fun, and it's hitting my "play more" buttons, which MMO's don't normally do (including WoW), so my 7 day trial is likely to convert.

Define "Tutorial" to you

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Define "Tutorial" to you

Well I'm up to level 10(ish) and every quest I have is taking me around each different person of interest in the town I happen to be in. And I'm currently "learning" about harvesting.

Maybe I'm just confused, because the only other MMO I enjoyed was EVE, and don't do EVE's tutorial.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

when are people who can send out guild invites usually on? i've tried finding any of the four or five people that i was told can invite, but you're all never on when i am.

Is it now? Cause now they are on.

Luxily
Aug 11, 2012

RedTonic posted:

The Exploit II is in production. o9

HMS General_Buttnaked should enter service in two more days. Need to finish making plywood!

Can't wait!

prinnylaharl
Feb 10, 2013

mehall posted:

Well I'm up to level 10(ish) and every quest I have is taking me around each different person of interest in the town I happen to be in. And I'm currently "learning" about harvesting.

Questing isn't really part of the leveling experience, around 1/3rd the quests in Velia are tutorial related and there's around 40 hours of quests in Velia total.

Questing is mostly for contribution points or advancing crafting through knowledges, both very important but can be held off to an extent.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Worth noting that a number of quests are hidden behind the amity/friendship system too.

How useful are they? Not essential I guess but nice to do :shrug:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Worth noting that a number of quests are hidden behind the amity/friendship system too.

How useful are they? Not essential I guess but nice to do :shrug:

I actually really like the amity system.
I feel like it could do with a little tidying up, and a tutorial would be nice (or if there is one, it should be earlier, or better, because I either haven't sen it, or it didn't make things clear to me.)

prinnylaharl
Feb 10, 2013
The quests where you have to go unlock certain amity levels are meant to be the tutorial, they just don't explain poo poo on how the mini-game works.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The little wheel of topics bothers me - it feels like it's spinning the wrong way and missing people. I'm sure it's not, but it disturbs me; I'd much prefer a list.

Anyone else notice that they don't always give you quests when it says they should?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Angrymog posted:

The little wheel of topics bothers me - it feels like it's spinning the wrong way and missing people. I'm sure it's not, but it disturbs me; I'd much prefer a list.

Anyone else notice that they don't always give you quests when it says they should?

Amity unlocks the opportunity to get the quest, but you might be missing some requirements (level too low, skill level too low, etc)

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a clear video or writeup about how to properly play the conversation minigame? I've tried to read a few things that have basically been word salad. I kind of get how it works, but there seems to be more nuance to it than I'm expecting or alternatively I'm dumb.

I've been making gains with it, but it's inconsistent because I don't really understand how I'm winning or why I'm gaining loads of amity on one attempt and then like +2 on another.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Ok so the amity minigame is a cluster gently caress

The NPC has two levels, interest and favor.

Interest the higher it is, the harder it is to get a success

Favor the high it is the harder it is to get any favor points, which determines how much amity you get.

Your topics have the same to levels also. Before you try to get a calculator out to figure out what your chances are, in the middle of the topic has the percentage you have of getting a success, and the favor range on a success.

There is also a 'win condition' in the top right, do what it says to actually get amity. If it says fail once or some poo poo like that, put your worst dude in front. I've found that high percentage topics can affect the topics that come after, as I have had a lot of trouble getting my 2% guy to fail when I need him to after putting him behind a 100%

At the core this is all there is to it, get high favor with high percentages. Now onto some more nuanced poo poo.

Combos
Some topics have combos, and they will say poo poo like 'After 5 turns, reduce Favor level by 5 for 2 turns'

This means that when that NPC is visited I'll say, on the minigame it starts it's combo. After 5 more topics, the NPC will have his favor decreased by 5. What this means is that your topics that are being affected by the combo now can generate more favor as the NPC's is lower. So you can do poo poo like stack combo bonuses and hit them with a ton in the last few stages.

Combos are denoted by a blue line between the initiating topic and the ones they will affect.

Continued interaction
After you succeed the topic at the top right you have the option to continue, up to three times. Each time you get slightly more amity and get a new win condition. If you fail the condition, you will lose any amity you might have gotten from the previous stages. So you are gambling on whether or not you can keep satisfying those conditions, most of the time it's not that hard. Remember that the energy needed to start a new minigame goes up as their amity gets higher.

Total Accumulated Favor Win Condition - Put your highest percentage and highest favor dudes in front, this is because their values get compounded on for every success thereafter and having them in front makes it real easy to get the total favor needed.

Total Favor Level - Aim for high percentages, as failures gently caress this up. I'm unclear how this is actually calculated, I just know the order hasn't ever affected much and that failures screw me over a lot.

This is at least how I understand it. I assume you are reading this poo poo post because you didn't want to click the link at the bottom of the OP.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 23, 2016

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Pretty good writeup. also this guide helps explain as well, with pictures.
http://dulfy.net/2016/03/04/black-desert-online-conversation-and-amity-guide/

Strategy posted:

Anyone else playing a sorc having problems with black wave? It only seems to work about 1 out of 3 times.

I press S+RMB and then hold LMB immediately after while still pressing S, it either works or just keeps casting Absolute Darkness.

What am I doing wrong?

Believe there's a cooldown. I loving love that skill. ALso shift-e explosions are lovely, and at some point we lose casting time I think, which would be great.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Are the investment banking options different for each town's bank, or do the investment method/instruments change randomly? When do you start really snowballing on that passive silver generation with low-risk investments? 2-4M+?

This. I finally found a house with a low enough rank 1 that I'm going to surpass it shortly to get that magical rank one in Calph..which I'm told I need? And then I have like 11 gold bars to lose..

If anyone can do a little writeup on the investment poo poo, that'd be baller. 1%er-101 please.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
servers are back up if people want to get their fishers on

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Im already 52 and a half and i was hoping they'd add some more stuff to the cash shop with the maintenance because its literally ghost town out there and i wanted to get something else but instead its as empty as it was before and by the time they finally decide to add anything i'll probably have no incentive to play as much as i do now and stay logged in all day.

I don't understand their market analysts and what not but they are bad at their job and should reconsider their ways of living.

There are so many issues that haven't even been addressed what goes for resolved. I know "ITS LAUNCH ITS HARD" but its already 9th march and the game started on 28th february and has been in preparation since forever, launch may be hard but thats their job...? If you buy a hamburger and the guy screws up royally, are you gonna say its hard to make a hamburger and defend him? I haven't even -----ed about the screw ups so far but i am -----ing about the absolute lack of communication and about the cash shop being just a $$ milking farm.

B2P to get millions of $$ ahead of other regions in trade of some inventory slots and character slots more(No other real advantages)? - check

Ridiculous prices that are higher than most F2p games (tera for example) ? - check

Game in which you don't change your gear , ever, (which isn't so bad) and always look like a pleb and are almost (ALMOST) forced to use cash shop? - check

^starved cash shop in order to force people to buy whatever its out there until they've wasted enough money and a wave of better cash shop items is released (which at this point is ridiculous..) and make people buy stuff again because they've been waiting for it since ages - CHECK.

^if all this isn't enough, you can't even mix-match costume parts yet to create some distinctive look because you're not getting the 10% bonus which as someone whos lvl 52 i can assure you is not to be underestimated or ignored

I've barely even complained about all this but now that the maintenance is over and there are literally no changes i feel like its the right thing to do..

also correct me if i'm wrong but weren't we supposed to get bunch of things for participating in beauty and beast (even if we didn't win)? Is that still happening or whats up with this, cus i have nothing

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Yep. This about covers every question I could have had. Thanks!

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Side skill folks: An important thing to do for your crafting/gathering skills is to talk to your black spirit, click the "guides" tab, and do the advancement quests that show up there.

First it shows you where the tutorial line starts for each profession.

Then it updates with any advancement quests you may be eligible for. These are quests that give you massive EXP and usually unlock new recipes and costumes. I think you get one every 5 or 10 skill levels for each profession skill. I just did one that took me from skilled 1 straight to skilled 2 gathering.

LegalPad fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 9, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Drythe posted:

B2P to get millions of $$ ahead of other regions in trade of some inventory slots and character slots more(No other real advantages)? - check

^starved cash shop in order to force people to buy whatever its out there until they've wasted enough money and a wave of better cash shop items is released (which at this point is ridiculous..) and make people buy stuff again because they've been waiting for it since ages - CHECK.

i don't know if these are real posts or not but i think the person that wrote these things out unironically is developmentally disabled

prinnylaharl
Feb 10, 2013

source your quotes fucker

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

these are original thoughts, please dont insult me as i try to bring to light the terrible cash shop system, thanks.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Lets be generous and say I've only spent half of that present at the screen. 106 hours. I paid $100. It was worth it and I have no need of the cash shop.

$30 for the game and $30 for a costume comes out to the cost of a full priced game and you won't get 106 hours out of most $60 games.

Who cares if you can't be an ideal pretty princess until later, they have to keep income coming in from people who already paid somehow and they choose to go full milk. For every 10 people turned off by it some other idiot will pay $300 to dye their $100 preorder costume. Could they have more money if everyone bough smaller amounts? Maybe but this system seems to be working so why bother complaining, drop your pants.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

LegalPad posted:

Side skill folks: An important thing to do for your crafting/gathering skills is to talk to your black spirit, click the "guides" tab, and do the advancement quests that show up there.

First it shows you where the tutorial line starts for each profession.

Then it updates with any advancement quests you may be eligible for. These are quests that give you massive EXP and usually unlock new recipes and costumes. I think you get one every 5 or 10 skill levels for each profession skill. I just did one that took me from skilled 1 straight to skilled 2 gathering.

I didn't know that, thanks for the post!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i don't know if these are real posts or not but i think the person that wrote these things out unironically is developmentally disabled

How does having a small cash shop force people to buy from the cash shop I don't understand

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

because you see,

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Sharing a new concept with you. Softly Spoken Stream (relaxation, ASMR experience Live on TwichTV). In this one I showed off the beauty of Black Desert.
Hope you will enjoy this during the stress of the maintenance :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxrGe__4tg8

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The game will have actually been launched for a week as of Thursday (tomorrow). The $maxpreorderheadstart$ days don't count. The vast majority of the playerbase probably hasn't even broken level 35 yet. I would imagine a good half haven't reached the 4th city zone. They don't need shitloads of new content they won't even see for the next two weeks while they grind towards it.

As someone who just hit 40 last night and taking it pretty easy compared to other MMO releases, taking my time grabbing energy, contribution, and inventory space quests and enjoying the world instead of grinding levels nonstop (which I imagine is the majority of the playerbase's mentality), I'd be pretty annoyed if they dropped a whole expansion's worth of new content after 1 week of the game being live which lets nolifers get even further ahead in terms of gear and wealth advantages.

Yeah, the cash shop is way too expensive and there's barely any selection. If you want to complain about that, that's valid, sure. The rest of your post is just 1%er whining.

It looks like they're starting to give out those event rewards as well, based on the patch notes.

E: gently caress

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 9, 2016

Rivv
Jul 13, 2005
Everything I do is motivated by stupidity
For people looking to grind out 35 to 38-39, just go straight to the abandoned lands and farm the infected people up on the hilltop above the refugee camp. I went from 35 - 38 in only 45 minutes (results may vary based on aoe abilities)

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

sushibandit posted:

The game will have actually been launched for a week as of Thursday (tomorrow). The $maxpreorderheadstart$ days don't count. The vast majority of the playerbase probably hasn't even broken level 35 yet. I would imagine a good half haven't reached the 4th city zone. They don't need shitloads of new content they won't even see for the next two weeks while they grind towards it.

As someone who just hit 40 last night and taking it pretty easy compared to other MMO releases, taking my time grabbing energy, contribution, and inventory space quests and enjoying the world instead of grinding levels nonstop (which I imagine is the majority of the playerbase's mentality), I'd be pretty annoyed if they dropped a whole expansion's worth of new content after 1 week of the game being live which lets nolifers get even further ahead in terms of gear and wealth advantages.

Yeah, the cash shop is way too expensive and there's barely any selection. If you want to complain about that, that's valid, sure. The rest of your post is just 1%er whining.

It looks like they're starting to give out those event rewards as well, based on the patch notes.

:bernget:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
lmao @ people thinking drythe wrote all that garbage and isn't quoting from o-boards or some poo poo

Rivv posted:

For people looking to grind out 35 to 38-39, just go straight to the abandoned lands and farm the infected people up on the hilltop above the refugee camp. I went from 35 - 38 in only 45 minutes (results may vary based on aoe abilities)

in about 3-4 hours a group of 5 starting at 32/33 got up to 39 there, its a great alternative to whatever the BDO bible suggests. still gets crowded, you may need to bully people out

said it before in-game but the ghillie suit owns hard, i've had groups of LotD people run/ride past me and not even turn around because they can't see my name plate

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Rafza posted:

said it before in-game but the ghillie suit owns hard, i've had groups of LotD people run/ride past me and not even turn around because they can't see my name plate

People seem to be getting real mad about this thing

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Wilekat posted:

People seem to be getting real mad about this thing

That is very lame considering it is a cash-shop only item, I say that as a person who spends money on the cash shop, I am against any form of monetary advantage and that is exactly what the ghillie suit is. People have argued the pros of a ghillie suit vs one without such as;

No name means its harder to notice people- personally I have good situational awareness so I usually see them coming. However I understand. Can't see health bar, you won't know when to time your CC or burst to kill the ghillie wearer.

You can not see a players guild name so you won't know if it is a war target.

During a large battle you will not be able to focus targets due to not being able to target call.

It provides negative karma people a way to hide the colour of their name which is a MASSIVE advantage over players who want to go negative karma without the ghillie suit.

People in counter to this usually say; for example the player will still glow red if they attack you. For RP reasons people say its better not to show the name, however thats -----ing stupid as everyone else still has theirs. Ghillie suit still shows up on the Radar. True though radar does not help you aim your attack skills on a teleporting ghillie wearer.

I won't say pay 2 win since for me that is when you can buy items or gold etc to increase your gear level over some one or auto aim etc. However it is definetly pay 2 have advantage in pvp. Without a doubt.

I know others will come here and try to protect their ghillie suit but seriously folks, this sort of thing hurts the game. You may enjoy your advantage for now but in the coming months people could end up quiting due to this when they might have otherwise enjoyed the game, some people just hate the idea of anything you can buy for any sort of advantage.

I'd suggest that the ghillie is changed to a normal costume with no advantage compared to the others. It still provides the best camouflage in certain environments while using the IN GAME stealth system. So it still has a use. Refund pearls to be spent on other items in the cash-shop if people desire.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

It's too effective. Nothing can stop Drythe now.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
god dammit drythe you have tricked me for the last time!!!! !! ! ! !! ! !

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

The exact thread I was thinking of :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Rafza posted:

god dammit drythe you have tricked me for the last time!!!! !! ! ! !! ! !

If the FFXIV thread is anything to go by, no they haven't.