Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

are purple or yellow guys harder? I think yellow are but its hard to tell

Definitely yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Lblitzer posted:

I have yet to find a locked room/door that didn't lead to a loot crate. Most, if not all of the time they are Blue drops.
Guess I'll keep opening them and hope they start not sucking

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously? I even added sirens dude. :v:

That didn't work for me unfortunately, I had to dick around in the Geforce Control Panel and under 3D settings change the option "Multi-Display/mixed GPU acceleration" from Multiple Display Mode to Single Display Mode.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Deviant posted:

The trick with Hard mode missions is to play in a group, and flank/use threat effectively. I liken it to the Threat system from Army of Two almost.

Having effective builds also helps. I'm specced into Sticky Bombs, with the BFB upgrade, and the talent that causes them to do 40% additional damage when hitting multiple enemies. It's very satisfying to watch 3 purple enemies run in and just go "Nope, those guys are dead now."

I'll probably pair it with Seeker Mines.

I've been doing that with sticky bombs too and have enjoyed the hell out of it.

I tried Seeker Mines and they seem like duds. Not much damage and the air burst mod just turns it into essentially an incendiary grenade, which I already can carry.

The dragons breath turret is actually kind of hilarious for elites. It constantly lights them on fire so they sit and do the flame panic animation instead of moving or shooting.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Zaphod42 posted:

Cept I never loving said anything like that. There's plenty of reasons to not like the game and I even spelled them out above. Its definitely not for everybody. Its more of an RPG than a shooter, its heavily based on RNG loot grind, and I think the dialogue is extremely clumsy and the story is overall pretty stupid.

Then my post obviously wasn't in response to you then, so no problem!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gravy Jones posted:

Then my post obviously wasn't in response to you then, so no problem!

Then other than people calling Jim Sterling fat and dumb, who *are* you responding to? :v:

Just kinda shouting at the void?

Sprechensiesexy posted:

That didn't work for me unfortunately, I had to dick around in the Geforce Control Panel and under 3D settings change the option "Multi-Display/mixed GPU acceleration" from Multiple Display Mode to Single Display Mode.

I've always wondered what the real difference between multi-display performance and single display performance mode are. Go figure.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Does the M1A/M14 ever stop being the best goddamned gun for anything not in shotgun range?

I'm rocking a Blue M1A, and a Blue Military 870 and it's murder at any range.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Floppychop posted:

I tried Seeker Mines and they seem like duds.

Seeker mines are really good for dark zone fuckery. Just dropping them will make them follow you around. If you're planning on jumping an extraction, drop the mines early and stand around. When its time to kill people throw in a nade with your buddys. The mines will follow up to kill the downed players with no additional input from you.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

I have yet to find a locked room/door that didn't lead to a loot crate. Most, if not all of the time they are Blue drops.
Locked doors will eventually reset and lock again, but the loot will not respawn. So you have to be careful with it.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

When I press alt a cursor comes up and it takes controll away, how do I disable that?

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

So any fix on the weird alt+enter, black screen, resolution fuckery goin on with the PC version? It keeps on changing my resolution and does not work in fullscreen.

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously? I even added sirens dude. :v:

I had a black screen every time I loaded until I made sure everything was minimised before launching (Windows Key + D). That might be an option if you needed the uPlay overlay.

Other than that has anyone had a problem where you'd set your graphic details to something, restart The Division and everything is fine. Then after leaving a mission the settings are back to low?

I will try disabling the uPlay overlay when I get home though.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I am ImAComputer on uplay you can add me so we can join up in game and queue in front of a laptop.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

someone explain locked doors/lockpicks to me
sometimes they seem to just be a shortcut which seems like a waste of a lockpick
one time I opened a locked door and there wasn't anything inside and no exit besides the now unlocked door

The lock door thing in hostage missions is fantastically pointless. The key is always just outside the door and highlighted in the HUD. Why even bother. One hostage mission I did there was even a random NPC civilian standing next to the key staring at the wall. He could have loving opened the door for them.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
Any tips for a guy that just started the tutorial. Things to make note of that might otherwise normally be overlooked? Thanks!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Biggz posted:

I had a black screen every time I loaded until I made sure everything was minimised before launching (Windows Key + D). That might be an option if you needed the uPlay overlay.

Other than that has anyone had a problem where you'd set your graphic details to something, restart The Division and everything is fine. Then after leaving a mission the settings are back to low?

I will try disabling the uPlay overlay when I get home though.

Yeah seems the uPlay thing doesn't work for everybody but its worth a shot.

Oddly enough I'm getting some weird performance from Division. Like, I turn up anti-aliasing and my frame rate stays the same? I turn it off and my frame rate goes down? What?

Also when I boot into game I tend to get ~45fps but then if I hang around in the game for awhile it'll go up to 60~70. I'm used to most games doing the opposite if anything.

Game looks beautiful though and with g-sync I don't even notice the frame drops, I can't complain at all.

DirtyTalk posted:

Any tips for a guy that just started the tutorial. Things to make note of that might otherwise normally be overlooked? Thanks!

Not really, the tutorial area is very newbie friendly and there's nothing you can really "miss"

Once you get to Manhattan there's a few things you'll want to check out, there's a contaminated zone near the entrance that always has lots of cosmetic gear in it, and then you'll wanna set up your home base and check out the Dark Zone once you've got a few levels, and look into things like crafting and upgrading your skills.

But there's not much in the division you can "miss" and be screwed over for. That I've seen so far anyways.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone else run into a bug where you cant interact with the loot on the ground? I replayed the Brooklyn police station mission in HARD mode while i waited for the rest of the game to download and by the end of the encounter there was a pile of greens I couldn't pick up.

Good news is that hard mode makes poo poo TOUGH. It felt like the AI was much more aggressive but it could also just be that since it took me longer to kill mobs it let the rest of the group move around and attack.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

980ti came in the mail, can't wait to get home and see how good this game looks maxed out (when it's not just a black screen LMAO).

My ubiplay name is Yuppidoo, please add for non-seriousface grouping.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm a 5'10" guy and I've never dated a girl with fingers shorter than mine.

This is real old, but loving :lol:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Found that IPAD article

http://kotaku.com/the-divisions-most-interesting-idea-is-happening-on-an-512908592

I assume they just dropped that as I can't see anything about it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

dogstile posted:

Found that IPAD article

http://kotaku.com/the-divisions-most-interesting-idea-is-happening-on-an-512908592

I assume they just dropped that as I can't see anything about it.

Yeah, we talked about it a loooong time ago in the thread.

It was quietly cancelled a long time ago when they realized that having 4 people playing an next-gen shooter with amazing graphics but having 1 friend playing on a tablet pushing buttons in 2D or whatever was something that didn't really work out so well.

Its a cool idea but trying to actually make it work with the game just didn't pan out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Anybody asking about the end-game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARR7GalsTDM

You get daily mission challenges which earn you phoenix credits which let you buy end-game guns. So there's plenty of end-game to do outside of just DZ pvp shenanigans.

Also the more I explore this game the more I really love the level design. At first you're like "its all NY? that's gonna get boring" but I'm having a blast exploring all these safe houses built into coffeeshops and churches and stuff, the environments are crazy detailed and feel really lived in. Reminds me of The Last of Us.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Theres not enough NPCS in the dark zone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah I agree. There were even fewer in the beta and they bumped it up a bunch, so hopefully they'll continue to tune it up.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, we talked about it a loooong time ago in the thread.

It was quietly cancelled a long time ago when they realized that having 4 people playing an next-gen shooter with amazing graphics but having 1 friend playing on a tablet pushing buttons in 2D or whatever was something that didn't really work out so well.

Its a cool idea but trying to actually make it work with the game just didn't pan out.

Darn, I see why did cancelled, but that would have been cool.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I bought this game yesterday and immediately got a Pom Pom Beanie hat so I'm pretty happy.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Survived a manhunt last night and it is still totally not worth it. Only got around 800 dark zone credits, versus the ~2,000 credits I would have lost if I died.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I bought this game yesterday and immediately got a Pom Pom Beanie hat so I'm pretty happy.

I got that hat pretty early too. It took the edge off the fact that my season pass barbie outfits are broken (goddamn I am so bitter :argh:)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Amen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Linx posted:

I got that hat pretty early too. It took the edge off the fact that my season pass barbie outfits are broken (goddamn I am so bitter :argh:)

Still? Man that sucks :smith: I got my barbie outfits and I'm so happy.

Luckily the game has a Toooon of cosmetic options (yay!) including some that you can't even get until level 30, so we should not be wanting for cosmetic options in the long run.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Zaphod42 posted:

Still? Man that sucks :smith: I got my barbie outfits and I'm so happy.

Luckily the game has a Toooon of cosmetic options (yay!) including some that you can't even get until level 30, so we should not be wanting for cosmetic options in the long run.
What's this season pass outfit? National Guard?

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Aesis posted:

Hazmat I think? I haven't received the police/fireman/doghunter outfits either.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aesis posted:

Actually I'm not sure what all the season pass gets you. There's a sawed off shotgun that goes in your pistol slot (infinite ammo :unsmigghh:) which you get for having the season pass, which is pretty awesome, but I'm not sure what else now that I think about it.

The main dressup outfits were actually from the agent origins video promotion, but I don't think you can get them anymore. Those included a cop outfit, a national guard outfit, a firefighter outfit and a paramedic outfit.

There was also a pre-order bonus to get a hazmat suit I think? Or maybe that's season pass?

There's also several outfits available as uPlay rewards, a stock broker outfit, a baseball varsity jacket and cap, a basketball team jacket, and a winter camo gun skin. And there's a cap and shirt that you're only supposed to be able to get if you own Rainbow 6, but I was able to get them anyways even though I don't own R6.

Like I said though, there's a toooooooon of other cosmetic stuff in-game, so if you don't have any of those its not the end of the world.

I do love my NYPD cop outfit though.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 9, 2016

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I decided to buy and I played for a few hours last night and I"m wondering--does this game actually require you to invest skill points and make permanent decisions at any point (with respect to stats or skills, at least), or is it more like Destiny where you can just pop into your menu and choose whatever skills you want as long as you've unlocked them?

I haven't even got to my BOO yet, just got to Manhattan, but I notice you can swap skills in and out without consequence, so I'm wondering if the rest of the game will stay like that, or if at some point I'm going to have to actually think about my character build.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Excuse me sir are you authorized to use that terminal? Sir I am going to ask you to leave.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I decided to buy and I played for a few hours last night and I"m wondering--does this game actually require you to invest skill points and make permanent decisions at any point (with respect to stats or skills, at least), or is it more like Destiny where you can just pop into your menu and choose whatever skills you want as long as you've unlocked them?

I haven't even got to my BOO yet, just got to Manhattan, but I notice you can swap skills in and out without consequence, so I'm wondering if the rest of the game will stay like that, or if at some point I'm going to have to actually think about my character build.

The latter. You unlock skills by building upgrades to your base, and once unlocked you can freely swap them out.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
So far this game has been fun but I haven't found a scarf after 3-4 hours of gameplay so I'm gonna have to give it a 0/10

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chairman Wao posted:

So far this game has been fun but I haven't found a scarf after 3-4 hours of gameplay so I'm gonna have to give it a 0/10

I have two scarfs from the agent origins thing, but they both look kinda dumb. I prefer just going with the bike cop turtleneck instead.

Hoping there's a big gently caress-off dr.who scarf once you hit max level or something. :cheeky:

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Chairman Wao posted:

I got my first and only scarf 8 hours in. I was so bummed out because you can hardly see it

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Chairman Wao posted:

Scarves are everywhere man. You try finding a weapon skin and let me know how it goes. Only one I found is the one you get from the rewards vendor in like 20 hours of playing.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
I guess I did get a pretty radical pompom beanie so I guess I'll up my score to 6/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You can swap your skills and talents at no cost whenever you're out of combat. It's great. Gear does play a huge role in what roles you'll be equipped for, though.

• Locked thread