Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

shitface posted:

gently caress I forgot about that. don't worry that the console is an anemic piece of poo poo because we'll augment the graphics and ai in azure. has anyone, 1st or 3rd party, done anything even vaguely resembling what they described?

Killer Instinct uploads all your matches to THE CLOUD and builds AI ghosts that mimic your play style. Then your ghost goes off into THE CLOUD to fight other people's ghosts and you earn points or something.

Also I think Forza had driving ghosts that they called Drivatars.

Mostly its just on-demand dedicated server VMs for Microsoft-published multiplayer titles. Sometimes they eventually work several months after release (lol Halo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

Killer Instinct uploads all your matches to THE CLOUD and builds AI ghosts that mimic your play style. Then your ghost goes off into THE CLOUD to fight other people's ghosts and you earn points or something.

Also I think Forza had driving ghosts that they called Drivatars.

Mostly its just on-demand dedicated server VMs for Microsoft-published multiplayer titles. Sometimes they eventually work several months after release (lol Halo).

there are literally iOS games that do that drivatar thing. games that run on phones older than the x-bone can do it. I don't even think either one runs in the cloud it's username->kps store of fast/slow, wide/tight, aggressive/pussy stats and the ai is still run locally

e: I accidentally a whole x-bone

shitface fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 9, 2016

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
remember race ur ghost in mario kart? hehe

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

shitface posted:

gently caress I forgot about that. don't worry that the console is an anemic piece of poo poo because we'll augment the graphics and ai in azure. has anyone, 1st or 3rd party, done anything even vaguely resembling what they described?
Some open world game is supposed to do large-scale destruction effects in my butt but I don't know what that really entails and if it's 100% marketing horseshit or just 99%

Quantum Break is supposed to be an xbone exclusive that shows off MICROSOFT DOES WHAT SON'T or whatever and afaik the only "cloud" thing it has is streaming video cutscenes lol

Linguica fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 9, 2016

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

shitface posted:

there are literally iOS games that do that drivatar thing. games that run on phones older than the x-bone can do it. I don't even think either one runs in the cloud it's username->kps store of fast/slow, wide/tight, aggressive/pussy stats and the ai is still run locally

e: I accidentally a whole x-bone

oh, yeah, the AI runs locally, but the analysis is performed in THE CLOUD

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

titanfall definitely uses it, and crackdown 3 will.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

yay :clod:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I guess titanfall runs the AI for the helper robot buddies on the cloud server, which makes sense since it's just sending state updates to the clients like any normal multiplayer thing and it doesn't matter how those get generated.

of course that means there's zero chance of being able to play titanfall once the servers get turned off, but who gives a poo poo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

drat. multiplayer servers. what a concept

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gently caress sake Dell, I placed that order 2 days ago. What's the loving script here pal

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Microsoft need to focus on being able to keep party chat working, and keeping their "content and purchasing" systems from going down and making it so you can't play digital copies on the reg.

Then they can start trying to do fancy cloud offloading

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes live is so hosed you can't open Netflix or Amazon Prime video or literally any other app

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

dell... xbone... these posts tell a sad story

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Linguica posted:

Quantum Break is supposed to be an xbone exclusive that shows off MICROSOFT DOES WHAT SON'T or whatever and afaik the only "cloud" thing it has is streaming video cutscenes lol
i just looked this up and lol

literally just "what if we combined video games and netflix"

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Linguica posted:

of course that means there's zero chance of being able to play titanfall once the servers get turned off, but who gives a poo poo

rip gfwl

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
why is excel such a piece of poo poo. i open it up and start a new blank workbook, the moment i make a change to it it starts eating 25% of my cpu time, yet there's a good 5 second delay between clicking on a thing and thing responding.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
functional programming works the same way

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

A Pinball Wizard posted:

why is excel such a piece of poo poo. i open it up and start a new blank workbook, the moment i make a change to it it starts eating 25% of my cpu time, yet there's a good 5 second delay between clicking on a thing and thing responding.

this is what itunes does on my computer

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

theultimo posted:

I have 5 games on GFW marketplace I will never get to play again

FCKGW

:tipshat:

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
my windows 7 install broke, does windows 10 still have mandatory candy crush and ad space

e: http://www.infoworld.com/article/3042155/microsoft-windows/windows-patch-kb-3139929-when-a-security-update-is-not-a-security-update.html lol never mind

Serenade fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 10, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

excel is actually extremely good

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah, at being bad.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Foo posted:

it's the worst spreadsheet program except for all the others

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

we're still on office 2007 at work so i have no idea if excel is good or not i just know that in 2007 i cant figure out how to open multiple excel windows at once on each monitor, it always just opens them in a single window

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

we're still on office 2007 at work so i have no idea if excel is good or not i just know that in 2007 i cant figure out how to open multiple excel windows at once on each monitor, it always just opens them in a single window

You actually have to manually open the second excel window and then drag the file you're opening into it. If you double-click on the file it just keeps opening them in the original window, which is worthless. lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i also cant open two excel files with the same name at the same time, so if i send out an excel file and someone adds something and sends it back i have to rename them or close the original version

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
even with one monitor you should manually open excel for every spreadsheet, because just double clicking an xlsx file reuses the excel process and you'll run into the 2GB per process memory limit

Perplx fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 10, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Captain Foo posted:

excel does everything, it's the true universal windows platform

powerpoint is an archive format, much like zip, except better.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i dont care because i only have 4gb of ram on my work laptop so i cant afford to use more than half for excel :madmax:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fart simpson posted:

they finally fixed this at some point before excel 2016

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

there's some reghack to make excel open new instances iirc but :effort:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

someone post the thing about the japanese company that was drawing maps to direct people to their office by coloring in excel cells

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
excel used to crash on me all the time on 2013 but most of those problems are gone in 2016. Even the office 2016 for mac suite is surprisingly good

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Perplx posted:

it's the worst spreadsheet program except for all the others

youve described the best of every type of software. there is no good software. god bless.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Microsoft now hiding a another uninstallable kb for ie inside a security update that generates a banner in new tabs that says "Microsoft recommends upgrading to Windows 10"

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3042155/microsoft-windows/windows-patch-kb-3139929-when-a-security-update-is-not-a-security-update.html

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

if win10 has security things that 7/8 don't, sure why not

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have win 7 ult(i hope) on old comouter, how do I upgrade to win 10 pro on new comp where new comp has w10 home

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

flakeloaf posted:

if win10 has security things that 7/8 don't, sure why not
no it's a security update for ie that includes a not-security update that adds that banner

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Valeyard posted:

I have win 7 ult(i hope) on old comouter, how do I upgrade to win 10 pro on new comp where new comp has w10 home
install windows 7 ultimate onto new computer using the key from your old computer, upgrade to windows 10, (optional) download a copy of the windows 10 iso using that install and then reimage it, call microsoft if you have problems with licensing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

anthonypants posted:

no it's a security update for ie that includes a not-security update that adds that banner

i see nothing wrong with a security update that adds a message saying "your current os is obsolete install a more secure one that we're actively developing for"

typed on my windows xp laptop from 2006

• Locked thread