Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What map do people have the best luck finding him on?
Anecdotal, but people - myself included - have had a lot of luck with him and chests popping up in the Fetid Pool. I got a Belly of the Beast from him there (which is now 6s, no less :getin: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Safari Disco Lion posted:

You uh...you know the streamers doing Kuduku RNG poo poo is a joke, right?

Look if you're not willing to rub the totem then good luck getting good RNG

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

theshim posted:

Anecdotal, but people - myself included - have had a lot of luck with him and chests popping up in the Fetid Pool. I got a Belly of the Beast from him there (which is now 6s, no less :getin: )

there was a post on reddit about farming dread thicket too. seems side areas might be where it's easiest

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I've had decent luck farming cruel tidal island as I don't have anyone in merciless yet. Got a lot of Haku missions, and vaal areas to go with it. Saw the suggestion for on reddit that a guy was getting 1,000 coins an hour but I have not had anything close to that.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

I will....eventually.

I need it at level 50 - until I get a 6L Carcass Jack. THEN I'll vaal it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Shinino Kage posted:

I will....eventually.

I need it at level 50 - until I get a 6L Carcass Jack. THEN I'll vaal it.

You don't really get "Vaal it", do you?

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Ok, so I think I've got the hang of most things in PoE now but this still baffles me:

What sort of thing do people actually use Vaal orbs on? Pretty much every other currency item I have either used or at least understand the uses of but Vaal orbs are just a thing I change for Chaos.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
The most common is probably Vaaling a level 20, 20 quality gem (particularly important for spells) to try and push it up to level 21. Otherwise, you Vaal uniques to try for specific Vaal implicits.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

RossCo posted:

Ok, so I think I've got the hang of most things in PoE now but this still baffles me:

What sort of thing do people actually use Vaal orbs on? Pretty much every other currency item I have either used or at least understand the uses of but Vaal orbs are just a thing I change for Chaos.

Maps, uniques with great possible corrupted implicits, rares with same thing, jewels in hopes of getting a jewel that only comes from corrupting.

They're the "gambling orb" - you could end up turning that tabula into a 1s rare with crap mods, or you could end up with it rolling a vaal implicit of +1 to socketed gems. Or things like giving a drillneck a vaal implicit of 1 extra arrow, or corrupting a level 20 gem into a level 21 gem.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

RossCo posted:

Get a good unique? Vaal it.

Find a high-level rare armorer's or cartographer's strongbox? Vaal it.

Have a level 20 skill gem? Vaal it.

Have a rare map with good mods? Vaal it.

Tabula drops? Vaal it.

Vaal everything, all the time. Toss that poo poo out like candy. Vaal your Vaal orbs. gently caress the man. Vaal the man.

Always Be Vaaling™.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
There's a challenge to do 10 maps with 8 mods which you can only get via vaal orbs.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 9, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
e:f;b

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

RossCo posted:

the most vaal orbs I use are on +quantity armorer strongboxes, each piece gets vaaled and you have significant chances to get 5 and 6 links that way (don't try the weapon boxes, 6 links with bad mods are just sad and unusable)

cartographer boxes
useful uniques that you are not using yourself and can afford to lose
level 20 skills with bad quality progression (some auras for example)

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

whypick1 posted:

You don't really get "Vaal it", do you?

Oh, I do -- but I can't afford to brick this, so I wont' vaal it until I can!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
There's certain uniques that are worth vaaling, the cheaper quivers especially. For my Explosive Arrow character I have been buying every cheap Rearguard I can and vaaling them in hopes for +1 arrow. After that I'll likely start vaaling decent necks until I get +1 frenzy.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Cinara posted:

There's certain uniques that are worth vaaling, the cheaper quivers especially. For my Explosive Arrow character I have been buying every cheap Rearguard I can and vaaling them in hopes for +1 arrow. After that I'll likely start vaaling decent necks until I get +1 frenzy.

Thanks all.

Useless unique quivers you say? I have those!

TO THE VAALMOBILE.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I use most of my Vaals on maps. The nice thing about Vaaling maps is that there's not really any possible negative outcome outside of getting a map that is too hard to do.

Also I Vaal a lot of amulets. +1 curse and +1 frenzy charge are extremely valuable mods. Elemental damage leech is also a very valuable mod. The only thing you risk is rerolling the amulet, which means I don't Vaal a multi-exalt amulet if I care about it, but you should still Vaal them anyways because

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

theshim posted:

Always Be Vaaling™.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ENRQh2xvc&t=70s

maaaathiiil post with us dude

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Vaal Orbs are for slam vaaling 3.5 ex caster amulets :colbert:

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Haha is one of those browser tabs SA?

e: i bet he posts in the YLLS rock climbing thread.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I want to do something really simple, is dual flame totem/bloodmagic marauder still face-rollingly easy? Is RF totem better?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yes on the Flame Totem, dunno about RF.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Anyone throw a guild invite? ingame: FistinPounding

ThCawdor
Apr 23, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Anyone throw a guild invite? ingame: FistinPounding

Ditto for here, I'd like to play with some people.
E: also, there doesn't seem to be any useful info on how to do this in the first post.

TY!

ThCawdor fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 10, 2016

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

ThCawdor posted:

E: also, there doesn't seem to be any useful info on how to do this in the first post.

quote:

How do I play with goons?

I'm copy/pasting this information from the previous thread - I don't know poo poo about the goon guild, feel free to let me know if any of this info is out of date or incorrect and I will update it.

DON'T PM ME ASKING FOR A GUILD INVITE!

quote:

We have a guild. We used to have two, but now there's just the one. How to get invited, courtesy of skyl3lazer:

Don't PM me for an invite. PM Skyl3blazer with a link to your SA profile, and in your profile include your character name in there. Or just get on the IRC: #pathgoons @ irc.synirc.net
The officers are: katasi,(also available on IRC), bugsy, dbk, pokchu, budgie, Hauki. Skyl3lazer is our leader. If you PM someone on IRC for an invite, include a link to your SA profile and include your character name in there as well.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jesus christ the Act 3 Cruel boss is kicking my duelist's rear end. I thought I was tough :downs:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Haerc posted:

I want to do something really simple, is dual flame totem/bloodmagic marauder still face-rollingly easy? Is RF totem better?

RF totem is a lot better. Kills tons faster. Not quite as fire-and-forget on positioning, but dual RF totem and a beam totem, with rapid decay/elemental focus/extra burning melts the poo poo out of everything more or less instantly, and needs no equipment. Wideswing is a nice pseudo-5link you can get for a song that will hold you for quite a while, and it is perfectly playable in merciless with a Tabula.

This one covers the topic, https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1510181

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 10, 2016

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!
invite AFancyLuncheon, thanks!

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

ThCawdor posted:

I would send you an invite if I knew your character name.

Clockwork Beast! posted:

invite AFancyLuncheon, thanks!

The specified character does not exist.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this guide is not nearly as easy to follow for my noob brain as the dual flame totem one linked above. probably the lack of intermediate skill trees for me to follow

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Awesome! posted:

this guide is not nearly as easy to follow for my noob brain as the dual flame totem one linked above. probably the lack of intermediate skill trees for me to follow

This was pretty well done, I thought http://i63.tinypic.com/w1xt2h.png

Basically go straight for dual-totems, level with whatever, I thought that firestorm spell totems kind of sucked, but by level 32 (with the increased area of effect reward gem) you melt poo poo instantly with RF.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Arrath posted:

Jesus christ the Act 3 Cruel boss is kicking my duelist's rear end. I thought I was tough :downs:

He does that. Staunching flasks can be really helpful for phase 2 (and are essential for the Merci fight if you don't have wacky amounts of leech, life, or DPS).

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Dominus is the first real resist check in every difficulty.

Don't go near him without max lightning res.

Staunching flasks are a big help for phase two of that fight, but if your dps and health(or eph rather) are good and your flasks are up to date it should be doable even without them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

vOv posted:

He does that. Staunching flasks can be really helpful for phase 2 (and are essential for the Merci fight if you don't have wacky amounts of leech, life, or DPS).

Actually phase 2 wasn't much of a problem, it was Phase 1 and the fuckin spectral ghost stream or whatever he loves to cast. It ate me for lunch and I could hardly get a handful of swings in before he'd cast it again and I'd have to run. Repeat many times, then I just face tanked phase 2. Good info for the Merci fight though, I'll have to make sure I have one.

E ^^^ Yeah my lightning resist of -6% probably didn't do me much good. :v:

And a friend of mine, level 9 on his first character just found a Tabula Rasa. Lucky guy.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 10, 2016

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
That's cold damage. Best to not get hit by anything.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the ghost stream is lightning.

his totems are the only cold damage he does

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Crit Arc with spell echo is fun

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
More crazy awesome stuff thanks to ascendancy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvGr3TqYrhc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

nightwisher posted:

More crazy awesome stuff thanks to ascendancy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvGr3TqYrhc

that is loving amazing.

also anyone interested in currency swapping between sc/hc? I wanna make a witch/caster (first time) on SC but I also want to have a smooth ride and start with a lifesprig and some other leveling gear.

• Locked thread