Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

TheHoosier posted:

Looks like that may have some great synergy with the House Frey agenda

I don't think so? Lords of the Crossing affects the first and third challenge you initiate, but FTW plot only affects the first challenge initiated against you. Unless I'm completely misremembering how LotC agenda works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's a fun dick move against anyone you anticipate playing Sneak Attack, though.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
That Watch plot looks much better than the Targ one. The Targ one is going to be a game winner when you have board control and a standing Dany, but any other time its terrible gold are probably going to be worse for you than the -1 STR will be for your opponent. I'll still run it, but For The Watch is just gold.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Merauder posted:

I don't think so? Lords of the Crossing affects the first and third challenge you initiate, but FTW plot only affects the first challenge initiated against you. Unless I'm completely misremembering how LotC agenda works.

No you're right I misread LotC

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah the Targ plot is a little crippling gold-wise but it gets better when Targ gets non-terminal burn. (since the plot comes with the terminal effect) Right now it's pretty underwhelming.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Yeah the Targ plot is a little crippling gold-wise but it gets better when Targ gets non-terminal burn. (since the plot comes with the terminal effect) Right now it's pretty underwhelming.

It with Dany kills anyone with 2 or less power straight away. It also puts a lot of the bigger guys in danger of getting Dracarys'd. On top of which, it's extremely difficult to win challenges with everyone down -2.

Of course the big issue is that without Dany, it's super underwhelming.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dany's power only activates during challenges against you.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Dany's power only activates during challenges against you.

True, but if your opponent also takes a turn off of challenges, that's typically a win. I guess "straight away" wasn't accurate but I like the outcome either way.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

alansmithee posted:

Honestly First Snow of Winter's gonna be just as grim as the Targ plot. The combo is gonna be really rough for any swarm. At least Blood of the Dragon has horrible numbers otherwise (I swear the analog had better numbers in the old edition).

The old plot was Threat from the North, which just has one more initiative then Blood of the Dragon. Two gold doesn't go as far as it did in first edition, so that's probably why it feels a bit better.

These plots were spoiled in a Quill & Tankard article that I encourage people to read. They go over some of the less intuitive card interactions, including a new one with Tears of Lys and Immune to Events (basically, you can place a poison counter on a character Immune to Events, since Tears of Lys doesn't choose the character, but that character wouldn't die at the end of the phase, since the effect of the poison counter is from the event)

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

FFG posted the details summer prize kit for Conquest (there are also some acrylic Chaos damage tokens not shown here), and in honor of that I've been playing a lot of Ba'ar Zul - surprisingly, he's turned out to be actually quite good as well as tons of fun! I can't wait for this new kit to come out so I can play with his glorious alt art (though I'll be surprised if Necrons are actually out by the time the kit is!).

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

THAT'S how they're handling reanimation? A healing event!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

THAT'S how they're handling reanimation? A healing event!

Well, that and lots of discard pile manipulation. Check out the announcement of the Necrons deluxe.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Well, that and lots of discard pile manipulation. Check out the announcement of the Necrons deluxe.

What's the ETA on the Necrons? I don't play Conquest anymore but would pick up the deluxe just to have them in the current collection.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

PaybackJack posted:

What's the ETA on the Necrons? I don't play Conquest anymore but would pick up the deluxe just to have them in the current collection.

Comes after the current cycle is done, right? 3 more packs to go, so probably 4 months barring delays.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

EVGA Longoria posted:

Comes after the current cycle is done, right? 3 more packs to go, so probably 4 months barring delays.

That's probably a good estimate, but they have said that they're going to release Deluxe expansions whenever they're ready, instead of waiting for between cycles.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Has anyone played Epic: The card game? Thoughts?

I ordered a starter set, looking for something "not magic" to play with some buddy's whobare mostly PC gamers.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

always be closing posted:

Has anyone played Epic: The card game? Thoughts?

I ordered a starter set, looking for something "not magic" to play with some buddy's whobare mostly PC gamers.

I found it wildly unengaging/uninteresting, but this from a heavy TCG playing background. For a game trying to "fix the issues with MtG" essentially, it just made me want to play a more fully realized card game.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Probably this. They haven't shown any Necron cards in spoilers for the rest of the Planetfall cycle, which I think means that they won't release the deluxe midcycle - it would be kinda strange to do this and then leave the Necrons without cards in any of the packs!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

It could be like what happened with tyranids and come out 6 months after the end of the cycle :v:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Merauder posted:

I found it wildly unengaging/uninteresting, but this from a heavy TCG playing background. For a game trying to "fix the issues with MtG" essentially, it just made me want to play a more fully realized card game.

I see. I'll be giving it a go this weekend with a buddy who's familiar with mtg.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

always be closing posted:

I see. I'll be giving it a go this weekend with a buddy who's familiar with mtg.

To be fair, we didn't draft our decks which can make a huge difference of course. When I played we did something closer to sealed, dealing out equal (but random) stacks to each player and building our decks from whatever we had. We also played 2v2 version which felt clunky; it may be better as a straight head to head game. Hope you enjoy it more than I did!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What are the issues with MTG?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Baron Porkface posted:

What are the issues with MTG?

Mainly the mana system is the major complaint, and ability to be screwed/flooded and in turn randomly not be able to even take part in the game you're playing. Epic uses a simple system of being able to play one card each turn if memory serves, and doesn't use any kind of mana or resource system.
They also tried to streamline the combat, though it was a while ago that I played so I don't remember exactly what was different, but do remember thinking they just made it less interesting.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I think the main issue Epic is trying to fix with MtG is $$$$$.

The game is okay. If you want a cheap and low-impact way to get your Magic drafting fix it's fine for that.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Oh sure, you could name of a variety of other non-mechanical issues with MtG like cost, random distribution of cards, multiple formats & rotation to keep track of, etc. But purely from gameplay perspective I think Epic failed to really make a game that I personally could ever see myself wanting to play, even without those other MtG issues being present.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I'm loving Martell with Lord of the Crossing. Nymeria gets work done and it combos really well with the boneway.

If you can get the boneway early you can just throw a little 1 strength dude in the first challenge and automatically lose because he drops to 0 strength. It really helps to build up tokens on the boneway in challenges you would have lost anyway.

You lose challenges but can usually get an intrigue through with all your icon removal for the last challenge and an extra power from LotC. Boneway helps you keep the pressure on if you are losing and keep the power game more even.

I also run 3x Varys because I have a low cost curve, 2 counting coppers and 3 In dorans name which help me bounce back super quick and keep getting 3 challenges per turn.

The deck keeps up a surprising amount of pressure and has a lot of control tricks.

I'm definitely not the best deck builder so I'd appreciate any feedback.

House Martell
The Lord of the Crossing

Plot (7)

1x  Calm Over Westeros
1x  Confiscation
2x  Counting Coppers
1x  Marched to the Wall
1x  Summons
1x  The Long Plan

Character (31)

2x  Areo Hotah
2x  Arianne Martell
3x  Bastard Daughter
3x  Desert Scavenger
2x  Dornish Paramour
1x  Edric Dayne
3x  Greenblood Trader
3x  House Dayne Knight
2x  Maester Caleotte
3x  Nymeria Sand
2x  Obara Sand
1x  Rattleshirt's Raiders
1x  Syrio Forel
3x  Varys

Attachment (6)

2x  Attainted
2x  Milk of the Poppy
2x  Noble Lineage

Location (14)

3x  Blood Orange Grove
2x  Ghaston Grey
3x  The Boneway
3x  The Kingsroad
3x  The Roseroad

Event (10)

2x  Confinement
3x  In Doran's Name
3x  Tears of Lys
2x  The Hand's Judgment

I managed to win 2 out of 3 games last night which is awesome result for me considering I'm quite new to the game. My only loss was against a guy who has won multiple store champs this year who managed to put Varys to the sword when he had flooded the board already. I've added a second hands judgement to the deck to try to help mitigate situations like that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That looks like a blast, thank you for the idea. I've been loving my Tyrell Stark Knight power rush deck, even pulled off a turn two win with it yesterday. It's pretty retarded fast if you draw right. I'll post the list when I wake up.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

That looks like a blast, thank you for the idea. I've been loving my Tyrell Stark Knight power rush deck, even pulled off a turn two win with it yesterday. It's pretty retarded fast if you draw right. I'll post the list when I wake up.

Pretty interested in this!
I made a Tyrell/Lannister Knight deck that I like on paper but haven't had a chance to play it but one game so far. It was against a similar list as the above Martell/Crossing, and Nymeria with 2 Bastard Daughters pretty much shut me down.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Post your list, I was going to build that same thing tonight.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Merauder posted:

Mainly the mana system is the major complaint, and ability to be screwed/flooded and in turn randomly not be able to even take part in the game you're playing. Epic uses a simple system of being able to play one card each turn if memory serves, and doesn't use any kind of mana or resource system.
They also tried to streamline the combat, though it was a while ago that I played so I don't remember exactly what was different, but do remember thinking they just made it less interesting.

It's nowhere near as complex as MTG and this is a good thing because that game is loving impenetrable for normal people.

Epic boils the mana system down to stuff costing 0 and stuff costing 1 and it works a charm. It's a quick and easy card game to play with 2+ people that has a ton of familiar formats but skips everything that sucks about LCG/CCG games.

It's not meant to be a competitor to MTG, but a light alternative.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Thirsty Dog posted:

It's nowhere near as complex as MTG and this is a good thing because that game is loving impenetrable for normal people.

Epic boils the mana system down to stuff costing 0 and stuff costing 1 and it works a charm. It's a quick and easy card game to play with 2+ people that has a ton of familiar formats but skips everything that sucks about LCG/CCG games.

It's not meant to be a competitor to MTG, but a light alternative.

Excellent. I was looking up the formats they suggest and it seems there are quite a few fun ways to play. I think getting everyone up to speed on the keywords will be the most important part, after figuring out, just when, on your opponent's turn you can cast a spell.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bottom Liner posted:

I was playing this and switched it to Tyrell/Crossing. It's great either way but I think I prefer the latter.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Merauder posted:

Pretty interested in this!
I made a Tyrell/Lannister Knight deck that I like on paper but haven't had a chance to play it but one game so far. It was against a similar list as the above Martell/Crossing, and Nymeria with 2 Bastard Daughters pretty much shut me down.

I was thinking of using A Tourney for the King/Lady Sansa's Rose in my Lannister/Banner of the Rose deck to help close out games. Did you find you had enough Knights to make it work, if you hadn't been up against Martell?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

What are people's thoughts on "Like Warm Rain"? I want to think it's a good card but since it's a reaction and not an Interrupt, there's a nonzero chance of it getting snatched after the challenge, unless I'm misreading something and there's an action window I don't realize.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

GrandpaPants posted:

What are people's thoughts on "Like Warm Rain"? I want to think it's a good card but since it's a reaction and not an Interrupt, there's a nonzero chance of it getting snatched after the challenge, unless I'm misreading something and there's an action window I don't realize.

You are missing something. Challenge resolution uses the mnemonic DUCK:

Determine winner (and by how much and whether it was opposed) - Warm Rain happens here
Unopposed bonus
Claim (you discard the card here)
Keywords (renown, insight, etc)

So you have no chance to lose it. That said, it's still kinda situational and there's probably not enough good dire wolves yet to make a deck that can really abuse it. It's a good card waiting for a good deck to run it in I think.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

JoshTheStampede posted:

You are missing something. Challenge resolution uses the mnemonic DUCK:

Determine winner (and by how much and whether it was opposed) - Warm Rain happens here
Unopposed bonus
Claim (you discard the card here)
Keywords (renown, insight, etc)

So you have no chance to lose it. That said, it's still kinda situational and there's probably not enough good dire wolves yet to make a deck that can really abuse it. It's a good card waiting for a good deck to run it in I think.

I've had it burn me more than once as I stupidly played aggressive with my NW deck :v:

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Like Warm Rain is solid if you're running the direwolf pups. I also don't mind it if you're running the new wolf dreams as well to search out dire wolves to actually trigger it. I think 1 is playable with either of the cards I mentioned previously, although one copy would be near the top of my first cuts if I need space.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Gimmick card that encourages you to put bad cards in your deck. Maybe wolves will be better in the future, right now I would not play it.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I have a couple copies in my Stark Fealty right now, which is running 3x Pups, 1-2 of the rest of the wolves, plus 3x Wolf Dreams. It's unfortunate that is isn't "Kneel a Direwolf card" vs "Direwolf character" to allow for Lady/Nymeria to be used, but that'd surely make it a bit too powerful. Still, leaving a lone Pup standing does serve as a potential deterrent against your opponent coming at you with Intrigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterEff
Sep 24, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Yes, reactions are done before the claim for a challenge is resolved. You can use Like Warm Rain to kill before it has the opportunity to be discarded.