Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Make sure you know what your winter tiles do and use them to plan your strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Oldstench posted:

Don't get mad at board games.

When you suffer crushing defeat in Keyflower, remember the most important rule of all: It's not the games fault. It's not the other players fault. It's your fault. You have nothing to blame but your own lacking, inadequate mind.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aston posted:

Make sure you know what your winter tiles do and use them to plan your strategy.

Or don't win any winter tiles and win with the greatest fall engine man has ever seen (don't undervalue movement tiles and the fall scoring tiles, especially if they're going to the same player).

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Oldstench posted:

Don't get mad at board games.

Does anyone else have problems with their groups and people that take games way too seriously? I expect a certain amount of poo poo talking and bragging but there are two or three in our group that just bring everyone down when they're not winning or someone has the gall to make a move that is directly against them. It's getting so bad that an evening can get ruined if there is anything remotely aggressive pulled out. I think Keyflower would actually cause a tears/brawl/break-up. Christ it's bad enough with Codenames and one person who literally screams at you if she thinks you're making signs with your eyes.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

T-Bone posted:

Or don't win any winter tiles and win with the greatest fall engine man has ever seen (don't undervalue movement tiles and the fall scoring tiles, especially if they're going to the same player).

I'd save this for game 2 when you might actually know what the fall tiles do.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

FulsomFrank posted:

Does anyone else have problems with their groups and people that take games way too seriously? I expect a certain amount of poo poo talking and bragging but there are two or three in our group that just bring everyone down when they're not winning or someone has the gall to make a move that is directly against them. It's getting so bad that an evening can get ruined if there is anything remotely aggressive pulled out. I think Keyflower would actually cause a tears/brawl/break-up. Christ it's bad enough with Codenames and one person who literally screams at you if she thinks you're making signs with your eyes.

I've got this with one friend, compounded by the fact that he's the most aggressive of our group when it comes to setting up plays. If you ever have the temerity to spoil his plans he insta-sulks. It's hard to deal with given that most of the time the way to counter whatever aggression he's putting out is to derail his plans.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aston posted:

I'd save this for game 2 when you might actually know what the fall tiles do.

Eh they're no more complicated than the winter tiles. You just need to have enough available movement to make use of them.

I think the biggest thing that new players miss in Keyflower is that it's essentially an engine game. The scoring tiles are important but if you have a strong town you can adapt to just about anything. Taking a tile that doesn't directly play into your winter tiles is perfectly fine if it improves your engine and makes your town attractive to other players (or potentially weakens a strong rival).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I dunno what the fun of derailing someone's plans is if they' don't get visibly upset.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I dunno what the fun of derailing someone's plans is if they' don't get visibly upset.
There's two kinds of upset: the jokey/light-hearted kind where people are annoyed you spoiled their plans and take it in a sporting way and the sulky kind where someone either throws the game or affects the enjoyment of other player because how downcast/upset they are for the entirety of the game. I hate the latter because I like playing on happy tables.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I tried out Keyflower on Boardgamearena a few times, and I've been liking it more and more to the point where I'm considering getting it. Does BGA have expansions for it or is it just the base game? Also, which expansions are worth getting? Is there an optimal player count for it?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

medchem posted:

I tried out Keyflower on Boardgamearena a few times, and I've been liking it more and more to the point where I'm considering getting it. Does BGA have expansions for it or is it just the base game? Also, which expansions are worth getting? Is there an optimal player count for it?

I don't know about the expansions but I really don't like playing with more than 4. It can just really bog down.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm playing my first game of Keyflower tonight, and as my boardgame collection can prove, I'm bad at estimating the value I'm going to get out of something. Any newbie tips?

Don't be too obvious with your engine unless you have green meeples. There's clearly one winter tile that would score >30pts for you, someone will start a bidding war for it, which you might not win. Also, just having lots of stuff is surprisingly useful. Even if you don't have the winter tile for resources/tools/meeples, odds are there will be some fall and winter tiles that score each type of stuff.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Kingdom death is actually pretty fun. Sort of like Don't Starve mixed with a rogue like mixed with AD&D.

I couldn't imagine paying the full price they're asking for it even though the sculpts ate amazing.

It's not discussed much around here for various reasons including the heavy amounts of randomness in the game designed to gently caress the players over

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

FulsomFrank posted:

Christ it's bad enough with Codenames and one person who literally screams at you if she thinks you're making signs with your eyes.

I got mad about Codenames, one time. REPEATEDLY they'd get to the right clue outs, say them, then would touch other ones.

We almost lost when the clue was Booster (2) and they got Space and port.
It was Space and Part.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

FulsomFrank posted:

In my group of friends almost all of us are pretty chill. Keyword being "almost".

A roommate of friend is absolutely terrible about board games where if you do anything against him he takes it as a personal slight and gets incredibly mad. We played the Game of Thrones board game and at the end of the game someone noticed that if they didn't attack him he would win the game, so the person attacked him and he still gets pouty about it to this day when the game is brought up. He straight up feels that we should have just let him win the game.

Needless to say we try not to play board games too much with him.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
When I was younger I used to be glad just to find anyone to play games with, but as I got older I moved more towards just moving on if the only option is shitheads.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Have you guys thought about taking these people aside and tell them that you thought they graduated from kindergarten?

More seriously you really will do them a favor if you point out (privately of course) that their behavior is going to stop them from being invited to board game events. I did it once. Took six months but he finally agreed I was right and was invited back again.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
More Keyflower: The materials needed to upgrade a tile must be on that tile in order to upgrade it, right?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Keyflower discussion reminds me of a maxim a Netrunner player has- at the end of the day, any strategy is legitimate as long as you had fun, and your opponent didn't.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Fat Samurai posted:

More Keyflower: The materials needed to upgrade a tile must be on that tile in order to upgrade it, right?

Correct. Move tiles are super important.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is the Portal board game any fun, or just a cheap cash-in?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Lorini posted:

Have you guys thought about taking these people aside and tell them that you thought they graduated from kindergarten?

More seriously you really will do them a favor if you point out (privately of course) that their behavior is going to stop them from being invited to board game events. I did it once. Took six months but he finally agreed I was right and was invited back again.

There are some of us that don't have the luxury of groups dedicated to gaming. We have to drag our friends and tangentially related people to play if we're going to play at all. If I call someone out for childish behavior, then that could upset the rest of the group. It could end up either I was out of line and won't get invited back or the entire idea folds. It's either deal with those people, or don't play games period.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Boz0r posted:

Is the Portal board game any fun, or just a cheap cash-in?

I firmly believe that if the Portal license wasn't applied, and it were a generic abstract strategy game, people would try it and respond fairly well to it. Because of the license however, I think a lot of people have written it off as a the latter, with minimal effort actually given to playing it / trying it. The Valve team did a pretty great job designing the game system, considering they aren't traditionally BG designers.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Tekopo posted:

There's two kinds of upset: the jokey/light-hearted kind where people are annoyed you spoiled their plans and take it in a sporting way and the sulky kind where someone either throws the game or affects the enjoyment of other player because how downcast/upset they are for the entirety of the game. I hate the latter because I like playing on happy tables.

This.

Unfortunately, I sometimes get a bit sulky, though I try not to. I mean, I'm pretty comfortable cutting people off at the knees, so I know not to take it personally, but there are times when taking a hit is really rough. Like getting locked out of Las Vegas when holding a high-value route in Ticket To Ride and beginning the game 15 points down before my first turn. That sucked. But good players bounce back and start to have a good time, even knowing they're playing from behind.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I mostly prefer 1v1 or team-based games when it comes to targeted aggression these days, because I find what sets people off generally isn't being attacked, it's being attacked in lieu of someone else. When that person or their team are the only targets it tends to curb that saltiness really fast.

The other reason is because of getting screwed by randomization ie dice rolls for combat

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Shadow225 posted:

There are some of us that don't have the luxury of groups dedicated to gaming. We have to drag our friends and tangentially related people to play if we're going to play at all. If I call someone out for childish behavior, then that could upset the rest of the group. It could end up either I was out of line and won't get invited back or the entire idea folds. It's either deal with those people, or don't play games period.

It's still not acceptable behavior. I cannot see how childish behavior can result in people having any kind of enjoyable entertainment. And those kinds of people usually are at the core of a group break up because no one wants to spend their time with toxic people.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is Eldritch Horror really that much better than Arkham Horror

because I hate Arkham Horror

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah but if you hate AH skip EH.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yeah but if you hate AH skip EH.

Ok noted.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
The thing that pisses me off the most when I'm playing board games is players colluding for out-of-game reasons. Couples that - as a rule - never attack eachother, for instance. They obviously never state that they do this, and when called out employ some kind of plausible deniability. This is the closest you can come to cheating without physically stacking cards, peeking at hidden information, stealing resources, etc

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

theroachman posted:

The thing that pisses me off the most when I'm playing board games is players colluding for out-of-game reasons. Couples that - as a rule - never attack eachother, for instance. They obviously never state that they do this, and when called out employ some kind of plausible deniability. This is the closest you can come to cheating without physically stacking cards, peeking at hidden information, stealing resources, etc

Yeah that frustrates me, especially since my wife will loving murder me in games because she finds it fun. Not that she'll take bad moves just to attack me, but if attacking me makes sense, she will do it with such glee.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

COOL CORN posted:

It's a lot better, but whether it's better enough depends on what you hated about Arkham Horror.

A lot of the unnecessarily fiddly elements -- sliding stat donuts, terror track, three parallel currencies -- are gone. A lot of the mechanics that make you skip turns -- getting lost in time and space, needing to sit still for three rounds to close a gate, wasting a turn in the streets killing weak monsters without getting an encounter -- are gone. The Mystery system provides concrete objectives instead of just wandering aimlessly, and makes the old ones feel more distinct. The Mythos deck is more consistent so you're at least seeing the same number of Rumors each game. Having encounters in locations now consistently gives you what the location claims it will give you. The characters have a lot of unique gimmicks and don't all just boil down to "Whenever you draw a card from [DECK], draw two and choose one instead." And unlike in (base-only) Arkham Horror, it's actually possible to lose.

But it's over two hours long, the scaling is still wonky, and you're still chucking a pile of dice hoping to roll 5+ on d6's.

edit: also the rulebook is actually good, whereas AH's is infamously bad.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 10, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you should not be allowed to play board games if you are not willing to ruin all your relationships just to win

unless if you are playing against children, its ok to let them win sometimes

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My #1 game annoyance is when I'm playing something with my wife and she intentionally plays badly because she's winning and "wants to give me a chance". Cut that poo poo out! Play to win! I don't want need pity points.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I got accused of colluding with another player once but once I explained what I was doing and why it became apparent I was actually just dumb!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I will "make mistakes" and "fail to win" a game if I like the game and seem to be dominating it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

theroachman posted:

This has turned on a friend of mine and his wife. They always collude in every game, and it is so well known that an alliance forms against them almost instantly every game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

sliderule posted:

I will "make mistakes" and "fail to win" a game if I like the game and seem to be dominating it.

t :mad:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sliderule posted:

Society and social interactions are just a meta-game between rounds :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

Yeah that frustrates me, especially since my wife will loving murder me in games because she finds it fun. Not that she'll take bad moves just to attack me, but if attacking me makes sense, she will do it with such glee.

A friend has managed to get his wife's family into Cyclades and they love it, but the experience is a questionable since the father-in-law will, without fail, only ever take negative actions against him rather than risk being mean to his wife or daughter even if it isn't remotely the correct action to take. At least my friend can mostly handle it even if he is one of those guys that when you introduce a new game to you had better make sure he has a great time (ie. wins) or else you'll never get a chance to play it again.

I guess that's what maybe bugs me most, the type that cannot handle being behind or out in a game and either intentionally or through immaturity drag everyone else down. I can get sulky if nothing is going my way but as long as it isn't a three hour session of something awful like DoW or Betrayal I can put up with a lot. But when guys yank out phones or start to clearly not-give a poo poo just because they ain't winning it makes me question the entire effort. Maybe there needs to be more liquor involved in these gatherings.