Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Quandary posted:

HBS interview tomorrow, wish me luck.

How did it go? And which section did you sit in with? Wondering if you were one of our visitors :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Pissingintowind posted:

How did it go? And which section did you sit in with? Wondering if you were one of our visitors :v:

Definitely wasn't me, unfortunately I wasn't able to get to campus and had to do a Skype interview. Overall though I think it went fairly well, questions mostly about my current work with a lot about my leadership style and experiences, with a bit about future goals. Definitely no off the wall questions like people talk about in an HBS interview.

Now comes the rough waiting game part, only 3 weeks till a decision...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Not to be too personal, but what kind of event makes a person miss that interview?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Aliquid posted:

Not to be too personal, but what kind of event makes a person miss that interview?

Living and working full time in a country that's on the other side of the world. Even making it to one of the hub cities would have been a significant expense and time investment that as a 2+2 applicant I legitimately cannot afford. Especially given that everything I've read and heard says that doing a skype interview doesn't negatively effect your chances, or at least doesn't in any major way.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Aliquid posted:

It's not super unusual. Travel is expensive. I interviewed at a hub city, not on campus, and only because I was able to combine it with a work trip. If I hadn't been able to do that, I would have done Skype.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I skype interviewed as well for round 1. I live in Boston normally so that was a more interesting conversation but it ended up working out.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
I live in Chicago. I have great GRE scores that are expiring at the end of 2016 (perfect quant score, 96th percentile verbal score). I am considering throwing in an application for full-time Booth and Kellogg this year as I do not want to relocate. Okay undergrad GPA from a top state school, good work experience.

-Are GRE scores that are 5 years old looked down on in the admissions process? Is it a knock compared to the GMAT?
-I currently work for a tech start up making decent money (six figures). How much do major tech firms pay to MBA grads? It looks like intern year salaries come out to about $100k annualized.
-Is it possible to get into VC without a finance background, but having a top tier MBA? This would be midwest VC, not west coast VC.
-Comedy option: does a JD add any value assuming I don't want the biglaw lifestyle (I enjoy my free time)?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

My view these days (i.e., close to graduation) is that the degree makes most sense for people wanting to break into sell-side finance, specifically IB and to a lesser extent sales & trading, or management consulting. Sexier roles such as PE/VC, strategy at major corporates typically select for people with existing IB or mgmt consulting experience or directly relevant industry experience e.g., oil & gas.

Mean starting salary these days from a top program is 130K base so if you already come from a decent paying job, you're betting on a career switch rather than an up-front salary boost and potentially incurring a paycut as I am joining an MBB.

You could try to pivot into PE/VC as someone with start-up experience and no finance background but it's a long shot. Most MBAs that go into the tech industry end up in PM/ops/marketing roles which should suggest to you the limited utility of the degree in the industry. Again, there are sexy strat positions in places like Google but they tend to select for people with IB or mgmt consulting experience.

Btw, all programs incl. Kellog and Booth publish salary surveys so you should take a look at them to get a better sense of exit opportunities and salaries.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(

shrike82 posted:

My view these days (i.e., close to graduation) is that the degree makes most sense for people wanting to break into sell-side finance, specifically IB and to a lesser extent sales & trading, or management consulting. Sexier roles such as PE/VC, strategy at major corporates typically select for people with existing IB or mgmt consulting experience or directly relevant industry experience e.g., oil & gas.

Mean starting salary these days from a top program is 130K base so if you already come from a decent paying job, you're betting on a career switch rather than an up-front salary boost and potentially incurring a paycut as I am joining an MBB.

You could try to pivot into PE/VC as someone with start-up experience and no finance background but it's a long shot. Most MBAs that go into the tech industry end up in PM/ops/marketing roles which should suggest to you the limited utility of the degree in the industry. Again, there are sexy strat positions in places like Google but they tend to select for people with IB or mgmt consulting experience.

Btw, all programs incl. Kellog and Booth publish salary surveys so you should take a look at them to get a better sense of exit opportunities and salaries.

Thanks for the insights. I currently have a pretty broad role that touches sales, account management, and product management, and I think my ideal exit op would be business development-related at a VC or a (more) promising start up. I'll talk to some contacts I know at GOOG to see their perspective.

Can people really switch to sell-side directly from MBA without prior finance experience? I have friends that work in BB S&T, and honestly their life seems pretty good all things considered. It is demanding work, but they still get mega bonuses without the all night/weekend schedule of IB.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Buckhead posted:

Thanks for the insights. I currently have a pretty broad role that touches sales, account management, and product management, and I think my ideal exit op would be business development-related at a VC or a (more) promising start up. I'll talk to some contacts I know at GOOG to see their perspective.

Can people really switch to sell-side directly from MBA without prior finance experience? I have friends that work in BB S&T, and honestly their life seems pretty good all things considered. It is demanding work, but they still get mega bonuses without the all night/weekend schedule of IB.

From what I've seen, switching into IB is extremely easy even with no relevant experience (as long as you prep for interviews). S&T has less aggressive recruiting, but the opportunities are there.

As for VC - it's a weird career path. No jobs feed directly into VC, and VC doesn't feed directly into other jobs. Most VCs hire people with previous entrepreneurial experience and some IB/consulting past. These jobs are almost impossible to get, are typically not actively recruited for, and require a ton of networking/free labor to position yourself for. There's a lot of luck involved, and the payoff is questionable in terms of dollars and marketable skills learned.

Quickly talking about tech - it seems that the desired roles are in product/BD/marketing/general management. Strategy opportunities exist, but I'd say that for most people, the allure of tech is being able to really contribute to a company's success vs. just being an advisor. I say this as someone who worked in tech corporate strategy for 3 years before going for my MBA. I doubt anyone except people in desperate need of visa sponsorship was heavily recruiting for stuff like Google's strategy team.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 9, 2016

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
Currently considering getting an evening MBA at University of Washington (Foster, top 25 program). I already have a decent job as a PM making $130k w/equity at Amazon, but I think it might give me a leg up in terms of leadership/business skills. Downside of course is $80k in tuition and no employer assistance to speak of.

Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea?

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I'd be looking at next-level jobs at Amazon or wherever else you want to go and seeing whether those groups value a MBA. Required or just a 'nice to have'? Do you think the classwork will materially improve your performance or are you looking to check the box? That kind of thing.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

Killmaster posted:

Currently considering getting an evening MBA at University of Washington (Foster, top 25 program). I already have a decent job as a PM making $130k w/equity at Amazon, but I think it might give me a leg up in terms of leadership/business skills. Downside of course is $80k in tuition and no employer assistance to speak of.

Oh hello. I have also been strongly weighing my ability to handle a part time program on top of <well paying and exhausting tech job> for the same reasons.

If you look at top level VPs at Amazon, nearly all of them have MBAs from Harvard/Stanford/Wharton/etc. I'm just not sure that a part time from Foster puts you on that level. It might help you get into that PM manager or director role, though.

Also, if you were to go fulltime, consider how much you could learn and grow (salary wise as well) with another two years at Amazon vs two years in an MBA program.

Let me know if you figure this one out.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I work a lot of hours and do an Evening MBA with a normal work load and it's working out fine.

What you need to do is think about what you really want. Yea oftentimes the C level executives of the biggest companies in our generation (and more to come) will have top tier full time MBAs because they can, but if what you want is honest leadership with good pay, you could be the CEO of a machine shop doing $20M /year in sales with 20% margins and that $4m in income is being split between the business, the equity owners (you), and whoever you want to give bonuses too.

Not saying it's not worth it to shoot for the stars but Itll probably save from an identity crisis when you are halfway through the program and are second guessing the $40k you've already ponied up.

I go to school in the Boston area and this just came up. The teacher corrected us that in hot spots of education an MBA may seem like a prerequisite but it really isn't on most other places in the country, so moving may also be a way to ensure career acceleration...

Also what about an executive MBA?

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 10, 2016

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002

Dreadite posted:

Oh hello. I have also been strongly weighing my ability to handle a part time program on top of <well paying and exhausting tech job> for the same reasons.

If you look at top level VPs at Amazon, nearly all of them have MBAs from Harvard/Stanford/Wharton/etc. I'm just not sure that a part time from Foster puts you on that level. It might help you get into that PM manager or director role, though.

Also, if you were to go fulltime, consider how much you could learn and grow (salary wise as well) with another two years at Amazon vs two years in an MBA program.

Let me know if you figure this one out.

Can you clarify the full vs. part time divide? I didn't think it matters, the only thing employers see is the school name on the resume. Right now I have a family to support on a single income so quitting to go back to school isn't really an option for me.

Director wouldn't be a bad place to be, not everyone gets to be SVP. We have a VP in our department who worked his way from from SDE, 16-year veteran :)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
You'll get an education with both, but the full-time programs are for networking and interning, while the part-time programs are just for the piece of paper.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Some part time programs allow you to participate in on campus recruiting, many do not. It's also likely that the caliber of your classmates for networking purposes is higher for FT.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Killmaster posted:

How long have you been a PM? MBA wont help much short term in this case if thats what youre thinking, unless youre going to jump to google or walmart.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Dreadite posted:

You should talk to a tax advisor about your situation, of course, but many part timers are able to write off their tuition, which can be a big net savings.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
Hello everyone. I am currently in my Junior year, studying Economics. I plan to head to business school after I receive my bachelors. I am wondering if it would be worth taking extra math courses during my undergraduate study. I am about to finish the required math course for my Economics degree. Would it be beneficial/useful to continue in mathematics, and take more advanced calculus and statistics?

My economics courses are a heavy load as is, and while I do enjoy math, it is monotonous. But, in preparation for B--School and specifically the GMAT, should I continue in math courses? If so, should I continue in calculus, statistics, or both?

Also, are there specific software, programs and tools that are used and taught in B-Schools that would be beneficial to familiarize myself with?

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Work first for five years. Getting an internship now and next year will help you more than anything else.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
Well I'm not a traditional student. I am 28, and served five years in the Marine Corps Infantry. I would like to go B-School after my undergraduates study. I understand all about the importance of internships, and I will be taking as many as possible. But in terms of my academic path, should I continue with mathematics and the added work load from it?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

mad_Thick posted:

Well I'm not a traditional student. I am 28, and served five years in the Marine Corps Infantry. I would like to go B-School after my undergraduates study. I understand all about the importance of internships, and I will be taking as many as possible. But in terms of my academic path, should I continue with mathematics and the added work load from it?

You are literally me a few years ago--I am a former Army Infantry NCO with awards that civilians recognize. You will get much better looks with more on your resume than a letter of rec from a former commander and some deployment swag.

What are your MBA school goals? If it's H/S through the M7 it's going to be a tough sell coming out of undergrad without having been an officer. It's 100% possible but your course load won't be the determining factor. Who do you know to vouch for you, what does your story look like, etc. Your essays will make or break you assuming your GPA and GMAT are solid. Don't take academic courses to prep for the GMAT, pay for the best help you can find and do it constantly.

What are your career goals? There are some fields that are much easier to break into pre-MBA. Even at Wharton it is very difficult to break into PE without pre-MBA PE experience. I have no idea if that's where you want to be but you need to make sure you aren't locking yourself out of a field by going straight from undergrad.

Leverage that military experience every way you can think. Be that guy. Reach out to people on campus who run their vet associations. I had people from multiple schools go into the adcom office and lobby (ironically not where I was accepted).

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Math will help for the GMAT, otherwise youll be fine. You can also cross your fingers and hope youre black.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I did a MSc not MBA but has anyone noticed getting out of school getting a job and managing people that have vastly more experience than you on a technical level? I work in digital marketing and have been working for a few years but the people that I manage, especially vendors are dramatically more knowledgeable on the technical aspects of things. It seems that I skipped too many rungs in the ladder by going to straight management.

I worked as an account executive at an agency for a while but now I am more or less a director at my company. I sort of wish I was involved more in general strategy and less management some days not because I am unhappy with what I Do but because I worry sometimes on what value I am actually bringing. I am not making hard set decisions on general strategy but more managing decisions that have been made and making sure that projects are being done on time and reviewing performance/budgets from vendors.

I don't even know if this is weird or a bad thing? Maybe it's my age as I am younger than most people that I manage.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 18, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's why finding someone who thinks nothing of MBAs is as easy as throwing a rock into a crowd.

There is a problem with organizations putting people into positions they can "grow into" but aren't actually ready for. That said, it's not your problem. Just focus on growing into the role and take advantage of the knowledge people you manage have. A great manager doesn't have to be better at the technical skills, she just has to be great at the management skills.

Or gently caress the people below you, manage up and just get promoted to the very limits of your competence.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014

Time posted:

You are literally me a few years ago--I am a former Army Infantry NCO with awards that civilians recognize. You will get much better looks with more on your resume than a letter of rec from a former commander and some deployment swag.

What are your MBA school goals? If it's H/S through the M7 it's going to be a tough sell coming out of undergrad without having been an officer. It's 100% possible but your course load won't be the determining factor. Who do you know to vouch for you, what does your story look like, etc. Your essays will make or break you assuming your GPA and GMAT are solid. Don't take academic courses to prep for the GMAT, pay for the best help you can find and do it constantly.

What are your career goals? There are some fields that are much easier to break into pre-MBA. Even at Wharton it is very difficult to break into PE without pre-MBA PE experience. I have no idea if that's where you want to be but you need to make sure you aren't locking yourself out of a field by going straight from undergrad.

Leverage that military experience every way you can think. Be that guy. Reach out to people on campus who run their vet associations. I had people from multiple schools go into the adcom office and lobby (ironically not where I was accepted).

Sorry, I do not know any of the MBA lingo. What is H/S to M7? What is PE?

I do plan to pay for the very best GMAT prep. To be honest at this point, I don't even know my career goals. Still sorting it out. My first two quarters of school, I didn't really emphasis networking (mainly due to PTSD related issues...vets know what I mean). But this quarter, and from here on out I will putting much more effort into networking.

Time, do you mind if I PM you some specific questions? I feel with similar backgrounds, you would be able to understand some of my questions at a personal level.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Does anyone have experience with MBA's with a specialization in Supply Chain management?

I've worked for a 3pl for 3 years now. I enjoy the industry but I think I'm ready to get away from the brokerage side and move into procurement, analytics, or process improvement. My goal isn't to work for a prestigious consultant nor be on a board of directors, but rather to shift my career. Would I be okay with a more regional school?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

MS in ops management?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just had to read The Goal for my ops class and now I'm an expert in supply chain management

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Moneyball posted:

You'll get an education with both, but the full-time programs are for networking and interning, while the part-time programs are just for the piece of paper.

I don't entirely agree with that. Part time programs are just as much about networking as any other MBA program. The pool is just more localized. I did my MBA part time and made a lot of connections within my company (since it is one of the larger employers in the area and made up about half of the part time students) and with managers/professionals from around the area. Those connections have helped my career as much as what I learned in the classes even though it was a part time program.

If you're doing an online program or a no-name degree mill then sure, it's just for the piece of paper. But if you're going to whatever the most prominent university is for your area then networking is very much still a thing.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 29, 2016

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
If I went to an MBA program (with the goal of career change) and half of the connections I made were within my existing company, I'd be very unhappy. My guess is that people do MBAs with the primary goal of "networking and interning" are looking for career change across industries/sub-industries/sectors/spaces/verticals/markets.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah over half my cohort is with Dell or one of the local hospitals. Good for me, bad for them.

Edit: Bad for me, it looks like this University doesn't offer internship placement. I'm cohort 14 of a three-cohort-per-year program, so it's extremely new. What should I do to start that legwork myself? How do I insert myself into the companies who do hiring down the road at UT-McCombs?

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 30, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mandalay posted:

If I went to an MBA program (with the goal of career change) and half of the connections I made were within my existing company, I'd be very unhappy. My guess is that people do MBAs with the primary goal of "networking and interning" are looking for career change across industries/sub-industries/sectors/spaces/verticals/markets.

Sure, but the main point I was responding to was that the only reason somebody goes for a part time MBA is for the piece of paper. If your goal is to advance your career or make a jump to a new track but stay within the same industry and/or geographic area, the networking you get at a part time MBA at say, a local Big Ten/XII/SEC/Pac-12/etc type school is going to be valuable for that goal.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
Thoughts on accepting a post-MBA internship? I did an international exchange for my final semester at my top 15 program, and did the absolute right thing by drinking cheap European wine and ignoring recruiting until I got back. First offer out of the gate is for the corporate strategy team (of 20ish people) at an LG/Sony/Samsung/Apple type place, and I'm contemplating taking it just to not give my career center anxiety over stats - and also because the job itself sounds really cool. But I'm concerned about signalling and re-recruiting in a few months if necessary.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you considering taking a post-MBA internship over a full time offer?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You have an MBA and you need to take an unpaid internship in this labor market? Please tell me that sentence I just typed is wrong.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Just in time recruiting is ongoing for at least another few months, don't take it. Which top 15 program?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Mandalay posted:

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you considering taking a post-MBA internship over a full time offer?

Yes. The role is fairly unique, and among the more interesting of the offers or well-developed leads that I have. I wouldn't be considering it otherwise.

Pryor on Fire posted:

You have an MBA and you need to take an unpaid internship in this labor market? Please tell me that sentence I just typed is wrong.

Paid, dawg. Annualized on par with any other corp strategy or marketing role.

anne frank fanfic posted:

Just in time recruiting is ongoing for at least another few months, don't take it. Which top 15 program?

It'll go on well into the summer for the types of role I'm targeting, so I'm curious if you think taking the internship would be mutually exclusive with just-in-time recruitment if I target a late August/September start date (assuming the internship doesn't convert to a full-time, which it well may).

Cornell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
At some point youll hit the next year and have another class to compete against as well as people who didnt get jobs from your class, and itll stop being part of normal timeline recruiting which removes any help your school provides that they negotiated previously. The longer you wait, the lower your salary gets as they know youre more desperate. Itll have to be a good story for why you have two internships because it seems weird and youve already had three strangers initial reactions be no. If you love the job and think theres a good chance itll become full time and dont have other options, then maybe itll work.