Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

wyoming posted:

Oh god, I forgot he was going to be in it.
I hope we see like, some SHIELD surveillance footage of Uncle Ben biting it.

What do you think motivates the registration act in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

:allears:

I'm sad we didn't get stories from the set about how Slipknot's actor really got into the role. Like, he tied a bunch of knots.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am really interested in seeing Slipknot on screen. The trailer has given us nothing other then he punches out some lady with zero context shown.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I said come in! posted:

I am really interested in seeing Slipknot on screen. The trailer has given us nothing other then he punches out some lady with zero context shown.

I'm sure he's going to be fun for the five minutes he will be able to hang in there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I presume because that is basically all he has before his head explodes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

I presume because that is basically all he has before his head explodes.

According to the leaks, when Enchantress reveals that she's the villain, Slipknot sides with her and promptly gets cranial bombed.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Compilation of Zack Snyder's shifting explanations for why Superman killed Zod:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-brief-history-of-zack-snyder-defending-the-end-of-man-1763888746

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Corek posted:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-brief-history-of-zack-snyder-defending-the-end-of-man-1763888746

Honestly that's all very confusing when the answer is "because he literally did it in the Zod story I was directly referencing, this doesn't really need explanation."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Corek posted:

He's right.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Corek posted:

Lol none of those quotes are contradictory despite the lady who wrote it (who obviously really hates Man of Steel) repeatedly saying they are.

Also laughed at "Snyder said Superman might be pushed to murder if Lois is in danger and we see Lois in danger in the trailer so get ready for more Super Murder guys! You heard it here first!"

Pretty funny read, thanks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think in an era where super powers really are murdering people without any second thoughts (spoiler: this is every era ever) it is pretty important to see why a guy would specifically avoid trying to kill anyone.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A++ would laugh at again.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol none of those quotes are contradictory despite the lady who wrote it (who obviously really hates Man of Steel) repeatedly saying they are.

Also laughed at "Snyder said Superman might be pushed to murder if Lois is in danger and we see Lois in danger in the trailer so get ready for more Super Murder guys! You heard it here first!"

Pretty funny read, thanks.

Seriously, just read the quotes of this article and not a single sentence otherwise and he has been saying the exact same (correct) thing the entire time.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Now I'm just remembering when a guy rolled up into the previous thread and declared that we have hard evidence that Superman will start snapping necks any time he feels backed into a corner

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Corek posted:

Say what you will about Snyder's skills as a director, his ability to get under grumpy nerds' skin by just existing is something to appreciate.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

My favorite thing is that whenever comic book :spergin:s complain about movies, it usually has to do with how there's it's not canon and this would never happen and blah blah, but when Zach Snyder says he's following canon they flip out and act like it doesn't matter, it has to be done they way THEY want it.

Using their own word against them.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That website might not be around much longer if Hulk Hogan has his way.

Corek fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 10, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

Seriously, just read the quotes of this article and not a single sentence otherwise and he has been saying the exact same (correct) thing the entire time.

I did the same thing and yeah he's entirely consistent and right.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GonSmithe posted:

My favorite thing is that whenever comic book :spergin:s complain about movies, it usually has to do with how there's it's not canon and this would never happen and blah blah, but when Zach Snyder says he's following canon they flip out and act like it doesn't matter, it has to be done they way THEY want it.

Using their own word against them.

This is funny because io9 literally accuses Snyder of doing basically that too:

quote:

At this point, he’s given up using plot and story and sequels and mythology to justify it all. He’s even stopped dodging the issue of Zod. Snyder’s literally asking to see the geek card of everyone who has ever disagreed with him. He’s asking people to prove they’re real fans. “Tell me how many comics you’ve read. Well, I’ve read more, so my interpretation is more valid” is an argument that has never really worked.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Those damnable comic book :spergin:s!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I did the same thing and yeah he's entirely consistent and right.

The article is the perfect example of why gishing is the stupidest style of argumentation available. The guy makes a nuanced case for the choices he made, but instead of a response in kind, you get line by line nitpicking.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

Case in point: Changing the ending of Watchmen from a giant squid wrecking New York to framing Doctor Manhattan, and the Internet losing its poo poo as a result.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Timby posted:

Case in point: Changing the ending of Watchmen from a giant squid wrecking New York to framing Doctor Manhattan, and the Internet losing its poo poo as a result.

That was a legitimately bad change but not because it was different from the comics. People focused on the loss of squid instead of the fact that Manhattan-energy nuked Russia at the height of international tensions.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Didn't even need to read the url before knowing that it would be an io9 article. What a consistently garbage website.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ImpAtom posted:

That was a legitimately bad change

Wait, what? I just re-watched it this past weekend and the setup of Manhattan works so much better.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

That was a legitimately bad change but not because it was different from the comics. People focused on the loss of squid instead of the fact that Manhattan-energy nuked Russia at the height of international tensions.

Didn't he bomb New York only or did they change it to make it several cities worldwide or something?

I was honestly more pissed that they moved John's line "nothing ever ends" to the end of the movie and making it hopeful instead of having it be a haunting message to Veidt.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The squid thing hinges on two fairly specific references so the change is fine. A lot of people think it doesn't even work in the comic. Wrong, but I see where it comes from.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Timby posted:

Wait, what? I just re-watched it this past weekend and the setup of Manhattan works so much better.

Dr. Manhattan is American. this is an inexorable fact of the character in the Snyder version and in the original comic. He is literally the cause of the current status quo and America's superweapon. Even though he leaves that doesn't mean everyone will suddenly forget that he was American or will take what happened at face value. He is effectively a living nuclear weapon. So when a major Russian city is nuked at the literal doomsday "the missiles are about to fly" point there is basically no reason whatsoever that it shouldn't be taken as a first strike and Russia should respond in kind before they have any chance to find out it happened across the world. Rather than preventing a nuclear apocalypse it should have triggered it.

Guy A. Person posted:

Didn't he bomb New York only or did they change it to make it several cities worldwide or something?

I was honestly more pissed that they moved John's line "nothing ever ends" to the end of the movie and making it hopeful instead of having it be a haunting message to Veidt.

He bombs multiple cities worldwide in the film, yeah.

There are other changes which I don't really care for as much but they're not bad, they just change the context and tone of the film. (Using Manhattan changes the film to be more about fear of god than fear of the other and Nite Owl righteously fighting to avenge Rorschach's death instead of being complacent in the horrible act feels kind of toothless to me, but isn't necessarily wrong.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 10, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New Civil War trailer is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKrVegVI0Us

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy A. Person posted:

I think in the movie Veidt says he targeted New York, LA, Moscow, Hong Kong and Paris.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

lol that Spider-Man suit literally looks like it's out of a Target clearance section.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Still cannot get over "We need to be put in check, whatever form that takes I'm game (ignoring the fact that I refused to be put in check by my teamates when I created loving Ultron)".

But yayyyyyyy Spidey!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm having a really hard time sympathizing with Captain America based off the trailers. Like as near as I can tell his argument amounts to "Well, this could go badly, so better not make any laws ever!" Hopefully the actual film plays it up better.

Tony Starks' blanket 'everything is good" is pretty dumb too mind.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Semper Fudge posted:

lol that Spider-Man suit literally looks like it's out of a Target clearance section.

I feel like that can be chalked up to unfinished CG

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Semper Fudge posted:

For real, that might actually look worse than the one in the first movie, the one made 14 years ago.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New Civil War trailer is really good.

Yup, definitely a little bit excited about this.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Spider-Man looks as bad as Black Panther looks good. It's probably his first costume, though, and they'll have a new one by the end when Tony gives him money.

I like the goggle eyes.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Dacap posted:

I feel like that can be chalked up to unfinished CG
I feel like every time we do that it comes back and punches us in the collective dick.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Black Panther looks legit amazing. The fluid motion and the overall design. I like the vibranium outlines in the suit making it bulletproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's got to be some kind of in movie explanation for that Spidey costume.

• Locked thread