Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Watchmen film ending completely ignores the point that Ozymandias' whole deal is following in Alexander the Great's footsteps. The squid is the sword that strikes through the Gordian Knot that is Earth's politics. The solution has to be outrageous, unorthodox and to a degree unbelievable - if you're reading Watchmen for the first time, it comes completely out of nowhere, but that's the way it has to be to work. Using Doc Manhattan, who is wholly engrained in Earth's politics and even the reason they're in the state they're in, as a solution is like trying to solve the Gordian Knot by tugging juuust the right thread, and it's the one that's looped through all the other ones and itself the most. It's a flagrant misunderstanding of one of the book's central themes, one of its major characters, and the point of the historical legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I mean he does call him Underoos, so I'm pretty sure it's supposed to look self-made.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's got to be some kind of in movie explanation for that Spidey costume.

Tony calls him "Underoos." It's probably homemade and he's 15. Come on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Parker made it himself most likely.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

Tony calls him "Underoos." It's probably homemade and he's 15. Come on.

Yeah, that's what I said.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Watchmen film ending completely ignores the point that Ozymandias' whole deal is following in Alexander the Great's footsteps. The squid is the sword that strikes through the Gordian Knot that is Earth's politics. The solution has to be outrageous, unorthodox and to a degree unbelievable - if you're reading Watchmen for the first time, it comes completely out of nowhere, but that's the way it has to be to work. Using Doc Manhattan, who is wholly engrained in Earth's politics and even the reason they're in the state they're in, as a solution is like trying to solve the Gordian Knot by tugging juuust the right thread, and it's the one that's looped through all the other ones and itself the most. It's a flagrant misunderstanding of one of the book's central themes, one of its major characters, and the point of the historical legend.

That kind of only works once though, and Ghostbusters already did it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I'm fuckin' down for a Spider-Man who actually looks like a kid in a homemade costume. It's adorable.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ImpAtom posted:

I'm having a really hard time sympathizing with Captain America based off the trailers. Like as near as I can tell his argument amounts to "Well, this could go badly, so better not make any laws ever!" Hopefully the actual film plays it up better.

I remember when everyone was worried that it would be impossible to not make Cap unambiguously right.

Cap objectively looks like an rear end in a top hat here though. "But what about my friend's right to murder people for 70 years with no consequence!" and BIG GOVERNMENT

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

That kind of only works once though, and Ghostbusters already did it.
I'm not sure what I'll do if the reboot has the squid.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That New York scene is new, right? I don't remember that many people at one time.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really like the Spidey costume.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I remember when everyone was worried that it would be impossible to not make Cap unambiguously right.

Cap objectively looks like an rear end in a top hat here though. "But what about my friend's right to murder people for 70 years with no consequence!" and BIG GOVERNMENT

I don't think that was ever the concern. In both the comic and movie adaptation Cap is basically arguing that vigilantes with the power to shoot lasers from their hands should not be subject to oversight because bad things might happen, which is such a weak argument that in the comic they had to make Tony Stark into Literally Hitler because otherwise they'd have to question their status quo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

That New York scene is new, right? I don't remember that many people at one time.

I'm pretty sure it's a clip from right when the aliens emerge from the portal and start wrecking poo poo. But gently caress if I'm going to dig up the movie and check to find out.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
So in addition to Se7en I'm guessing Civil War is also influenced by Who Framed Roger Rabbit according to the scene where the cartoon spiderman shows up

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Spiderman doesn't look bad, just really matte, like the Donner Superman suit or something before they realized that skin tight doesn't show up on camera well unless its pebbled or otherwise textured. Still looks fun though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tomahawk posted:

So in addition to Se7en I'm guessing Civil War is also influenced by Who Framed Roger Rabbit according to the scene where the cartoon spiderman shows up

We're a good movie away of Howard the Duck joining the Avengers.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

I'm having a really hard time sympathizing with Captain America based off the trailers. Like as near as I can tell his argument amounts to "Well, this could go badly, so better not make any laws ever!" Hopefully the actual film plays it up better.

It looks like the Pro-Registration side's position will be "Sign on with us or get locked up in an underwater superprison" and I can see Cap having issues with that

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The trailer looked better than the last one but I still can't ever get over the goofy BOTH GROUPS RUNNING AT EACH OTHER ON...AN AIRPORT TARMAC OR SOMETHING shot.
I hope the fights are a little more natural (like why would Iron Man decide to engage Captain America in a standing fistfight anyway? Hopefully there's some kind of reason there), but I guess they're simulating the "comic book style"? What if comic books suck though. Ever thought of that??? :twisted:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It looks like the Pro-Registration side's position will be "Sign on with us or get locked up in an underwater superprison" and I can see Cap having issues with that

That sounds like it's having the comic problem again but I guess that's sort of inevitable.

It's kind of weird to introduce your new Spider-Man as the dude trying to beat up Captain America to help establish an underwater Gitmo but I suppose they could twist that around in the film.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Still cannot get over "We need to be put in check, whatever form that takes I'm game (ignoring the fact that I refused to be put in check by my teamates when I created loving Ultron)".

'Ignoring'? Pretty sure that fuckup is precisely why he's now holding the pro-oversight position. Learning from your mistakes and all.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I thought the crux of the argument was that registration basically means you're a tool of the government/a weapon at their disposal. Cap already did that and hated it. Whether they communicated it well or not is fair game.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BreakAtmo posted:

'Ignoring'? Pretty sure that fuckup is precisely why he's now holding the pro-oversight position. Learning from your mistakes and all.

Which would be a fair point if Vision didn't exist.

If anything the roles should be reversed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That's a real good way to lose your fingers, Hank.

Harlock posted:

I thought the crux of the argument was that registration basically means you're a tool of the government/a weapon at their disposal. Cap already did that and hated it. Whether they communicated it well or not is fair game.

And not just a tool of the government, you'd be a tool of the government under the direct control of Thunderbolt Ross.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 10, 2016

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Harlock posted:

Well the oversight that was around for 50 years was SHIELD that turned out to be corrupted thoroughly by HYDRA, so given Winter Soldier, and the experiments they'd been running on people like the twins, it shouldn't be surprising he's not a big fan.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
That Spidey suit looks as good as Cap's from the first Avengers movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Weren't they specifically saving all civilians and only blowing up conveniently previously evacuated buildings in the other movies anyway? Was their level of material devastation to skyscrapers and fine cars available at your nearest dealership unacceptable?
Or will they be like, "Nah, it turns out a lot of people totally died. Isn't that GRIMDARK :unsmigghh: "

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Costume nothing, how about the delivery on Spidey's line? I hope that's not really in there, he sounds so bored. Like, he should flop down on the couch and sigh right after or something.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

DeimosRising posted:

Costume nothing, how about the delivery on Spidey's line? I hope that's not really in there, he sounds so bored. Like, he should flop down on the couch and sigh right after or something.

Delivery was perfect

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

sounded sheepish to me

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Spider-Man looks as bad as Black Panther looks good. It's probably his first costume, though, and they'll have a new one by the end when Tony gives him money.

I like the goggle eyes.

I think Spidey looks great in an understated classic 1960s kind of way, and Black Panther looks super awkward and dorky :shrug:

The line delivery totally sounded like Toby Maguire to me, though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I was so happy to see that in the trailer

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Weren't they specifically saving all civilians and only blowing up conveniently previously evacuated buildings in the other movies anyway? Was their level of material devastation to skyscrapers and fine cars available at your nearest dealership unacceptable?
Or will they be like, "Nah, it turns out a lot of people totally died. Isn't that GRIMDARK :unsmigghh: "

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeimosRising posted:

He's a 14 year old boy who just picked a fight with Captain America, he's lucky he managed to get the line out without his voice breaking. :v:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TheFallenEvincar posted:

No. The only time this happens is when Iron Man flies the Hulk into the construction site, as Jarvis says that it's empty. Lots of people died in every other film, and even in Age of Ultron. When they evacuate Sokovia it's making sure that all living people are off the floating land mass, but people on and around still die.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Spidey doesn't really look like a 15 year old boy although I guess there was that scene where Peter got real lean and strong after the spider bit him in the first Raimi Spider-Man. I forget that part of the Spider-Man power set is automatic Olympic decathlete physique no matter your age.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

No. The only time this happens is when Iron Man flies the Hulk into the construction site, as Jarvis says that it's empty. Lots of people died in every other film, and even in Age of Ultron. When they evacuate Sokovia it's making sure that all living people are off the floating land mass, but people on and around still die.
You mean...they...can't save...everyone? :cry:

Also I thought Jarvis said something like "We bought that building and emptied it beforehand" but probably that was an absurd hallucination I got produced by watching Age of Ultron. A lot of it is a blur, to be fair.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Just came in to say, SPIDER-MAN gently caress YEAH! That is all.....

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TheFallenEvincar posted:

You mean...they...can't save...everyone? :cry:

Also I thought Jarvis said something like "We bought that building and emptied it beforehand" but probably that was an absurd hallucination I got produced by watching Age of Ultron. A lot of it is a blur, to be fair.

He says it's under construction, none of the construction works are in that way and then, when the building has been leveled and Stark is looking at the bloodied, fleeing civilians Jarvis tells him that a Stark/Avengers clean up team was dispatched to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Agreed. I hope that's a placeholder, or it's at least delivered better in the movie.

• Locked thread