Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
What's the deal with this fake stun gun headbutt?

Just part of his super animation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
it's been nerfed to be his regular throw now obviously

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Jmcrofts posted:

What's the deal with this fake stun gun headbutt?

Just part of his super animation?

Remember that Alex had b.hp

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I wonder if Capcom will keep Alex's front/back sensitive grabs

Hahahahahahahahahaha

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

AnonSpore posted:

I wonder if Capcom will keep Alex's front/back sensitive grabs

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
What's the rationale for changing jump frames?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Double Bill posted:

Why would you not accept a rematch from someone you just beat? Unless it was super close and you're not confident you could do it again, in which case you should lose the points anyways because what a pussy

idk if you've ever played in a tournament setting before, but game 1 is only indicative of the rest of the set if one player is way better or someone tilts and fails to recover. No one's had time to condition anybody, you've only just gotten a handle on their habits, which is why bo1 is poo poo.

Bringing points and an option to chicken out into the equation and you can bet most rematches are gonna be denied :V

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Let me rematch for 5x points so I can live out my fantasy of being a seedy SF hustler on the mean streets of the interwconnection with opponent was lost 40002

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Carew posted:

They put the reasoning in the updates, something to do with some jump/throw tech OS or something like that. Apparently they couldn't change forward jump frames since that would mess up more of the balance.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Pomp posted:

idk if you've ever played in a tournament setting before, but game 1 is only indicative of the rest of the set if one player is way better or someone tilts and fails to recover. No one's had time to condition anybody, you've only just gotten a handle on their habits, which is why bo1 is poo poo.

Bringing points and an option to chicken out into the equation and you can bet most rematches are gonna be denied :V

This is basically it for me. I am absolutely awful in the first game, which makes me terrible at ranked, (Also I am bad). But my time playing Smash means that I'm actually pretty decent at picking up habits that people have and things that they tend to go to. The issue is my lack of matchup experience means it takes me a while to internalise how to defeat what they're doing. The better players will adapt to that and keep kicking in my poo poo, but I find a lot of the time I just start winning because I've picked up the counter to the tricks.

Best example was a Karin sitting 1000 LP higher than me last night. We ran into each other two games in a row, I lost the first decisively, but by the second it was obvious I had a read and I was able to counter her poo poo for a tight round 1 and then a decisive round 2 my way as she got more frustrated with my consistent punishes.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Pomp posted:

idk if you've ever played in a tournament setting before

99.9% of people have not.

Losers will issue the challenge because the winner got lucky. Winners will accept the challenge because they can totally beat this scrub again for more free points.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

fingers not wormy enough

game is poo poo

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
So as I predicted Capcoms method for removing throw OSes is to do tiny changes that don't really fix them but just makes them slightly less good or harder to do. The "you can't tech for 2 frames" fix is loving hilarious considering you're inherently killing one of the frames in the first place since there's a gap to prevent getting a kara throw. I'm also willing to bet the huge buffer on throws will just render it completely invalid because even if your tech input falls on the 2 untechable frames it will just buffer it for another 5 frames or however long and give you the tech later.

And it will be great when this actually affects *honest hard working throw techers* who just accidentally pressed one button or the other a frame early and had the game invalidate their tech input because they accidentally kara'd.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's weird that they wouldn't just add an option for 'normal ranked' and '2/3 ranked' instead of the weird opt in thing

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Help Im Alive posted:

It's weird that they wouldn't just add an option for 'normal ranked' and '2/3 ranked' instead of the weird opt in thing

Capcom aren't very good at thinking

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

didn't know Alex was jewish before street fighter 5 gave him those weird payots.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Carew posted:

Throw OS and you can hold up out of frame traps because jump startup is faster

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Faffel posted:

Capcom aren't very good at thinking

Much better to split your player base for next to no reason when everybody is complaining about match-making already.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I honestly would prefer it if every match was 2/3 by default.

Also finally unlocked everyones normal colors hooray!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodoze posted:

Throw OS and you can hold up out of frame traps because jump startup is faster

jumps start slower

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Aww man, now I just want a Steam port of Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Shockeh posted:

"Online Rematch Option - Salty from a close loss online? Want revenge? Players can now play a 2/3 set in Ranked Match, provided both players accept the rematch."

In what universe do Capcom think the SFV Online community, a collection of hollow shells that look like human beings who will reset their console if they lose precious League Points, will accept a rematch after winning the first one?

I actually think this feature will be used lots, especially as the game ages and the casual playerbase leaves.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I welcome the 2/3 Ranked. I've been favouriting people who seem to know more of the game than I do then inviting them to battle lobbies after a match, win or lose. Fun times.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

An OS that will still be in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRcDXdP08go

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I asked before, but there was update news and it got lost. are there any other projectiles that ryu cant tatsu through besides sim and fangs arcing ones?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

Yayyy they removed the cr.lp doubletap throw tech
i had been getting SO much mileage out of this (really good at tapping lp then lk and still teching) but yeah, good change.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Real hurthling! posted:

I asked before, but there was update news and it got lost. are there any other projectiles that ryu cant tatsu through besides sim and fangs arcing ones?

Nothing that specific, but there may be more as-of-yet unannounced changes or ones made without any fanfare for us to discover later.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bhsman posted:

Nothing that specific, but there may be more as-of-yet unannounced changes or ones made without any fanfare for us to discover later.

oh sorry if i wasn't clear, i don't mean did they change anything i mean in the game in its launch state, can ryu tatsu through any projectile except yoga fireballs and poison balls?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

MK and HK tatsu are projectile invincible from Ryus waist down when they're airborne. Sim and Fang fireballs can hit him if they come down on top of him.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Ah, I forgot. Zangief stole Alex's CA before Alex was even released, without the powerbomb at the end though.

On account of this, Alex is a no buy for me, even for play points.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Goku really nailed this look years ago.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

I was screwing around at work today and made a quiz that helps people pick a SFV main. It's by no means perfect logic-wise (mainly used my own understanding of the game + the prima guide + popular consensus) but hopefully it can serve as a starting guide for players who are like 'WHO DO I MAIN':

https://tinyurl.com/sfv-main

The logic is all dumped right there inside the page so feel free to tear it apart.

e: no jokes about it suggesting chun no matter the input
just gonna go ahead and bump this again since it was literally the post before the alex news, hoping for some feedback so i can refine it a bit and maybe genericize it for other FGs

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

just gonna go ahead and bump this again since it was literally the post before the alex news, hoping for some feedback so i can refine it a bit and maybe genericize it for other FGs

You should send it to Eventhubs or SRK or something, they'll probably post it

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Real hurthling! posted:

oh sorry if i wasn't clear, i don't mean did they change anything i mean in the game in its launch state, can ryu tatsu through any projectile except yoga fireballs and poison balls?

My bad, though it seems Bebop got to you first.

Cat Machine posted:

It gave me Rashid so it's obviously busted. :colbert:

Seems pretty cool so far :)

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Cat Machine posted:

Seemed to give reasonable results.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I thought it was good, first time I got Chun who I'm playing already.

Is there anywhere you can post all the results? I liked your description of the characters.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I got Ryu, Chun and Birdie, which fit all the answers I gave.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

JP Mika player Hameko (@hameko) found that doing Mikas super while cornered will push her forward and allow her to punish moves that are -3 or more from long ranges:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiSHE4U-Hv0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

it gave me rashid, a character that i main, so gj