Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Too bad they are not even his buildings.

Which is even better since selling your name has no overhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

More capable is certainly one way to describe Fred Trump

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

as halfway crooks posted:

lol *flies away in private 747*

Here's an article that says, paraphrased, that had Trump dumped all that money his Dad gave him into a mutual fund he'd be a gently caress-ton richer than he is now.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-probably-better-investing-donald-233020366.html

Had he sat at home and played with his yooooge dick the last 30-odd years he'd be making more money. He's a lovely businessman.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Jesus christ. It's coming from inside the thread.

I mean... That's not wrong though. Trump is not a failure, at least in politics. He's winning.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Pointing out that he's not actually a good businessman is a worthwhile point to make because he's arguing that his business expertise qualifies him to be president.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

stinkles1112 posted:

I mean... That's not wrong though. Trump is not a failure, at least in politics. He's winning.

He's found a local maximum.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
You don't praise the kid on a bike with training wheels for not falling over.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

stinkles1112 posted:

But even then! He's not winning because he's good at it, he's winning because the GOP spent 6 years stirring up the racist minority of the party into the Tea Party and now can't control it. Trump is just the peak of a wave they created.

Empress Theonora posted:

Pointing out that he's not actually a good businessman is a worthwhile point to make because he's arguing that his business expertise qualifies him to be president.

THIS! He goes on and on about how savvy a businessman he is when most Fortune 500s won't even let him in the door because he's a money sink.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

An Angry Bug posted:

You don't praise the kid on a bike with training wheels for not falling over.

Valid analogy except that Trump basically did fall over by not investing well over the long run. At the very least he hasn't fallen over but he also hasn't managed to figure out how the bike works but still wants to be the President of a cycling club.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

happyhippy posted:

That was no vacation vacation.
That was Mormon 'No I am not hiding from the draft as I am spreading the word' Missionary work.
And spreading the word of Joesph Smith just took a lot around the beach.

I am willing to entertain the idea (suggested once or twice by Mitt) that Mitt, being young and idealistic at the time, would have preferred to mission in places with more tractable / impoverished heathens and his dad went "nope, my son's going to the safest, most luxurious place I can feasibly send him, with the bonus that he gets to network with other people who are well-connected enough to get sent to France. No son of mine is going to do missionary work in whatever the Congo is named this week".

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

CommieGIR posted:

But even then! He's not winning because he's good at it, he's winning because the GOP spent 6 years stirring up the racist minority of the party into the Tea Party and now can't control it. Trump is just the peak of a wave they created.

Yeah this is true, but the point I think is that, as Boon said, that's a value judgment and people define "success" differently so that's probably not going to prove to be the effective method of tearing down Trump. You can rationalize anybody's success at a thing as "well that's only because XYZ historical flukes"

\/\/\/ yeah, this. Even if we concede for the sake of argument that he's "successful", there's a dozen other reasons why he shouldn't be anywhere near elected office that aren't ambiguous.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 10, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
at the end of the day (for me anyway) playing capitalism "successfully" doesn't make you interesting, admirable, or presidential

he is widely renowned, separate from but related to how much money he has, but it's largely infamy at this point. huge unfavorables nationwide, hated across much of the rest of the world

truly, a short-fingered vulgarian who should never be heard from again

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

Valid analogy except that Trump basically did fall over by not investing well over the long run. At the very least he hasn't fallen over but he also hasn't managed to figure out how the bike works but still wants to be the President of a cycling club.

The other problem is that its all guesses based on what Trump has claimed at various points in time. If you continue further back than that $500mil you get $1mil to $500 mil in a decade which is better than the market and following the article to today would mean turning $1mil into $10billion over the past 40 years.

All of the numbers are probably bullshit which only means that we actually have no idea how good or bad he is at accumulating personal wealth in the real estate business. He's pretty good at marketing at least!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's this thing our minds do, and I think progressives are especially susceptible to this because we want to believe there's good in this world, this thing where when we hear something often enough, no matter how crazy it is, we start to believe it has to be at least a little true.

Trump lies. He is a liar. The things he says about himself and the things people say in favor of him are outright lies. They are wholly untrue. Just because you hear them so often and with so much conviction doesn't mean they have a single grain of truth in them. He is a con artist and his business is, has always been, will always be telling lies.

Stop falling for it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Hollismason posted:

People saying Trump's a lovely business man are loving part of the problem. Despite what people say he has made a shitload of money which to me indicates some sort of success.

Everyone saying that he's poo poo at things are part of the problem, in fact he:s probably a billionaire, has won the majority of states and is on track to win the nomination.

Saying he is a failure is kind of dumb and plays into a underdog mythos and outsider mythos he has now.

It's just Looney tunes ad hoc arguments.

People underestimate him vastly and think he's a joke which is part of the problem.

A significant part of his stated net worth is from his "brand" that he has set the value of himself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianmrosenthal/status/708004062529097728

Obama is extremely Reaganesque.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We are not even actually sure of his current actual value, because he:
1. Won't tell us
and
2. Is currently being sued in Federal court multiple times over for fraud.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Really neat how high up there Bill is but then again nothing really happened 99/00. And iirc under his watch the entire planet had just narrowly avoided being destroyed by Y2K so it makes sense people would be stoked about him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

Really neat how high up there Bill is but then again nothing really happened 99/00. And iirc under his watch the entire planet had just narrowly avoided being destroyed by Y2K so it makes sense people would be stoked about him.

You mean the guy that got impeached over lying about sexual dalliances?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

There's this thing our minds do, and I think progressives are especially susceptible to this because we want to believe there's good in this world, this thing where when we hear something often enough, no matter how crazy it is, we start to believe it has to be at least a little true.

Trump lies. He is a liar. The things he says about himself and the things people say in favor of him are outright lies. They are wholly untrue. Just because you hear them so often and with so much conviction doesn't mean they have a single grain of truth in them. He is a con artist and his business is, has always been, will always be telling lies.

Stop falling for it.

The dog pile in here is interesting.

No one in here, so far as I know, is falling for it. However, pointing out that, that billionaire on stage to a bunch of people who have no concept of what a billion dollars is because they're underwater on their homes, or buried in credit card debt, or generally not doing well financially in life isn't exactly a convincing strategy.

Attacking him as a failure is fruitless in the face of that, because facts don't matter. Pointing out his scams, on the other hand, is damaging and also not at all the same.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

We are not even actually sure of his current actual value, because he:
1. Won't tell us
and
2. Is currently being sued in Federal court multiple times over for fraud.

The trick with number 2 is that it's a civil case against a Trump company and not him personally.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

You mean the guy that got impeached over lying about sexual dalliances?

Yeah but how much of the country really gave a poo poo besides Newt Gingrich?

Although looking back on it now it is funny that I got to learn what a blowjob was in a 5th grade class assignment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boon posted:

No one in here, so far as I know, is falling for it. However, pointing out that, that billionaire on stage to a bunch of people who have no concept of what a billion dollars is because they're underwater on their homes, or buried in credit card debt, or generally not doing well financially in life isn't exactly a convincing strategy.

Attacking him as a failure is fruitless in the face of that, because facts don't matter. Pointing out his scams, on the other hand, is damaging and also not at all the same.

If facts don't matter, maybe you should stop calling him a success then? :shrug:

We dog piled you for trying to defend his success.

hobbesmaster posted:

The trick with number 2 is that it's a civil case against a Trump company and not him personally.

So? He's the company head, and considering what happened to Phoenix University, he'd be smart to hide his actual liquid asset holdings from public view.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

Wasn't just that. We'd won the Cold War, the dot.com boom was going crazy, we had sub 5% unemployment, he had been unfairly attacked by a bunch of hypocrites on the right who'd been exposed as serial adulterers by among others, Larry Flynt, who offered a million bucks to anyone who could come forward with credible proof of their unfaithfulness, things were going pretty drat well on the whole. Y2K was widely considered a chicken littlesque joke about five minutes after midnight the year of.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Boon posted:

There's a difference between talking about strategy and actually claiming that Donald Trump has achieved any kind of noteworthy success in his life. The only way to do that is to talk about his money, and wealth in general is a terrible measure of success because of how easy it is to run up the score once you have some.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Do you think that would work, or is it too late? Are there even enough old-style establishment republicans left to staff up an undertaking like that?

Jesus this thread's moving fast. Yeah, I think if they focus a bunch of cash on low-publicity elections they can shut Tea partiers out of a lot of races. Money goes a lot further when its not butting up into the diminishing returns of constant media focus.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Boon posted:

You are falling for it. You're the one. It's you. We have no proof he is a billionaire. He is lying about how much money he has. How many more times do you need this explained to you.

Guess what dude, Pom juice doesn't cure cancer either. Axe won't make that girl gently caress you. Quit falling for marketing you stupid gently caress. I don't know how old you are but it's way too old for "advertising is lies" to be news to you.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Stop falling for it.

The most impressive ability of Trump is his hypnotism over people to keep repeating the "He's a successful businessman!" line and are simply unable to say otherwise. It's like people have internalized this mental block somehow.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

fool_of_sound posted:

Jesus this thread's moving fast. Yeah, I think if they focus a bunch of cash on low-publicity elections they can shut Tea partiers out of a lot of races. Money goes a lot further when its not butting up into the diminishing returns of constant media focus.

But who would they run? We've talked a lot about how the Silent Majority isn't a thing, and that's where all the presumed moderate/establishment Republicans are.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
If you think about it, if Trump's goal in life was "become a successful businessman" then he has been a pretty colossal failure.

On the other hand, if his goal was "convince people I'm a successful businessman" then he's done a really good job.

Edit: kinda beaten by Dunkle

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
If Trump isn't successful, why is he winning the republican nomination race? :smug:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Khisanth Magus posted:

A significant part of his stated net worth is from his "brand" that he has set the value of himself.

And he is someone who makes his money through good branding - not a transferable skill for governing a country.

The Kardashians are branding experts too. It hardly makes them qualified to be president.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

stinkles1112 posted:

If you think about it, if Trump's goal in life was "become a successful businessman" then he has been a pretty colossal failure.

On the other hand, if his goal was "convince people I'm a successful businessman" then he's done a really good job.

The latter is almost as valuable as the former in practical terms. It's successful marketing that gets people to buy his product (that product being him as a seemingly credible presidential candidate).

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Success is not how much money you have in your bank account, but how much raw milk you have in your yooge french-door refrigerator.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

stinkles1112 posted:

Edit: kinda beaten by Dunkle

Which is why he's a successful PR person. If only for himself.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TyrantWD posted:

And he is someone who makes his money through good branding - not a transferable skill for governing a country.

The Kardashians are branding experts too. It hardly makes them qualified to be president.

He'd make a great Travel and Tourism guy for the US, though!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The most impressive ability of Trump is his hypnotism over people to keep repeating the "He's a successful businessman!" line and are simply unable to say otherwise. It's like people have internalized this mental block somehow.

It works for everything. That's why the Just Asking Questions schtick around any social reform issue is so toxic and so effective. It doesn't matter if your opponent shoots you down, you got to say "thug" over and over and that's what will rattle around in everyone's ears.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TyrantWD posted:

Why do the GOP candidates care about trifling things like 'governing the country'? The Tea Party clearly doesn't care or want that, only to obstruct and tear down things as much as possible.

Remember: George W. Bush was voted for primarily on the basis of "Would you want to have a beer with this guy?" back in 2000 and re-elected again in 2004 because of "stay the course!" People are loving stupid about anything resembling civic responsibility.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So now in addition to the full scope of how much Jindal hosed LA, they're getting record flooding and a state of emergency has been declared

I hope Bel Edwards is running an aggressive "pin everything on Jindal" campaign because if a Democrat catches the flak for the GOP's failed policies after being on the job for like a month then that whole state should probably just be swept away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

But who would they run? We've talked a lot about how the Silent Majority isn't a thing, and that's where all the presumed moderate/establishment Republicans are.

They're a party of the oppressed white man. They can't run anyone. They can only obstruct and be angry about anything.

Really Trump's no different than the rest of the imaginary creatures of the Right. The Religious Right that's okay with sin, the Silent Majority that can't win the election without relying on the racist or insane, the Mighty Republican Establishment that can't get rid of Trump and Trump the Richman who isn't really Rich.

• Locked thread