Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Xavier434 posted:

The rants people have been posting on the official forums and reddit mostly sound childish and spergy to me, but I gotta say that I would really appreciate a GW2 style dye unlocking system plus some outfits that can be acquired/crafted in game. It is a shame that a game which looks so pretty and comes with such an amazing character creator doesn't support this sort of thing. I am okay with all of the current costumes remaining on the cash shop and the inclusion of unique/rare dyes on there as well so they can make money. I just want an in game progression system to get this stuff made available too.

This has been my biggest beef with the game so far. Character customization is a joke. Even if you end up spending money on the cash shop, you still end up looking pretty much like everyone else and there is no sense of gear progression at all. In a game that puts so much into player agency and crafting this is a major oversight imo.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Third World Reggin posted:

*good worker advice*

So it sounds like play style factors in quite a bit. Personally, I only get to play at night and some hours on the weekends. I'm a pretty casual MMO player as far as hours per week goes and one thing that I like about this game a lot is things like auto fishing, auto travel, etc since that means I can still do things even though I have to stop playing to tend to the kids or whatever. It also means that I can progress while I sleep. All in all, for someone like me it seems like Humans are the way to go and Goblins should be avoided. Giants may be better too depending on the rare proc at the specific node/task (I may not care about it) since I will be relying on a lot of RL overnight production.

As far as actual skills go, I don't want to sperg out but I do want a general idea of how important these skills actually are. I would prefer to treat them like a small perk rather than a "must have", but that all depends on the difference that they truly make. Any additional opinions on this that you can share?

Thanks for the info btw. This helps a lot.

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013

Stormgale posted:

They regen only when your main is capped I believe

Ok, alts will definitely regen energy even if the active character isn't at their cap, but it's really slow.

After 15 minutes, neither alt had changed, but after an hour and 40 minutes they had regenerated 2 energy each. I happened to check the second time 2 minutes past 10, so I think offline alts regenerate 1 energy per hour on the hour.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Xavier434 posted:

The rants people have been posting on the official forums and reddit mostly sound childish and spergy to me, but I gotta say that I would really appreciate a GW2 style dye unlocking system plus some outfits that can be acquired/crafted in game. It is a shame that a game which looks so pretty and comes with such an amazing character creator doesn't support this sort of thing. I am okay with all of the current costumes remaining on the cash shop and the inclusion of unique/rare dyes on there as well so they can make money. I just want an in game progression system to get this stuff made available too.

Yeah, the dye system in this game is actually amazing, but we can't get to it. It's behind so many layers of whale traps that it's impossible to have fun with it aside from pulling it up and going "wow that's nifty!" They've indicated a williness to move on the dye system in some Q&A things, so I hope they start doing that. You can dye your horse's accessories and your weapon in this game, and the dyes do things like change the material's reflective nature so you can try and turn leather plates into metal ones or a cloth shirt into a leather one. If we were allowed to get at that, you'd be seeing it touted.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

See, my posting has sparked a discussion. gently caress that guy, whoever he was

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Honestly they'd probably get rid of 90% of the whining if they would just put in a basic dyes vendor that has a limited selection of dyes for in game cash. A few greys, a few browns, a few greens etc etc.

Then they save the fancy metalic et/al dyes for the cash shop.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Rhymenoserous posted:

Honestly they'd probably get rid of 90% of the whining if they would just put in a basic dyes vendor that has a limited selection of dyes for in game cash. A few greys, a few browns, a few greens etc etc.

Then they save the fancy metalic et/al dyes for the cash shop.

This is a pretty reasonable compromise. I wouldn't be mad if they did a direct ripoff of the dye system in GW2. I do agree with people when they post that it's more or less impossible to not look like a carbon copy of everyone else gear-wise, which is kind of a shame, given the extreme depth of the actual character creator.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Xzov posted:

Ok, alts will definitely regen energy even if the active character isn't at their cap, but it's really slow.

After 15 minutes, neither alt had changed, but after an hour and 40 minutes they had regenerated 2 energy each. I happened to check the second time 2 minutes past 10, so I think offline alts regenerate 1 energy per hour on the hour.

Offline is 1 point every 30 minutes.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

does the boat license go somewhere special? i got a message that my worker finished it, but i can't find the thing anywhere.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

does the boat license go somewhere special? i got a message that my worker finished it, but i can't find the thing anywhere.

Warehouse/Storage iirc.

Edit: On second thought, I might have gone straight to the harbor master guy that lets you access the Wharf. I don't remember.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

nah it's not in my warehouse and that harbormaster guy is saying the license is still required. i did just notice that my warehouse is full so maybe you lose it if you don't have space? that's some lame rear end bullshit if so.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

nah it's not in my warehouse and that harbormaster guy is saying the license is still required. i did just notice that my warehouse is full so maybe you lose it if you don't have space? that's some lame rear end bullshit if so.

Did the last worker for the item come from a different town, if so check that town not the town the shop is in

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

Offline is 1 point every 30 minutes.

I just let 35 minutes pass and the inactive character went from 6 energy to 6 energy. I'll keep checking, but I don't think it's 1 point every 30 minutes.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

1 per hour is what I've always heard.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Stormgale posted:

Did the last worker for the item come from a different town, if so check that town not the town the shop is in

nope i've only hired them from this one town. also despite making the old fishing pole or w/e and equipping it the quest from the otterman won't update. hopefully it's something stupid that i'm doing and not my character being bugged.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So wait I just realised: When a worker finishes a task in a queue I have to be logged on to let him start the next one? I told my giant to make potato crates last night and I log on this evening to find he'd only done one.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Pierson posted:

So wait I just realised: When a worker finishes a task in a queue I have to be logged on to let him start the next one? I told my giant to make potato crates last night and I log on this evening to find he'd only done one.

Drythe posted:

Using Workers
To use a worker you do so through an interface. Let's start with harvesting. You go to your map and click Jackhole Farm. After that you will see the symbol for the poo poo Turds, click that. This should open a menu of assigning a worker to collect some poo poo. Remember to change the amount of iterations to max, as it defaults to one and then you can't leave him afk and trust him to do the rest.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
My wording was bad, sorry, lemme try again: If I set my giant worker to harvest poo poo Turds four times, do I have to be logged on for him to do all four? Because I set that task last night and I logged on this evening to find he had only done it once.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Pierson posted:

Yes. Regardless of how many times you set them to complete a task, they will only finish their current job while you are offline.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I forgot to add that, my post has been updated. Not that anyone will read it since it's not on the current page.

Lewtt should add it to the OP since people are more likely to read something they don't need to open a new link for.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
heryi just started playing, how do i join the goon guild

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Zero posted:

heryi just started playing, how do i join the goon guild

idk

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Approach Lewtt for an invite, but don't do it too aggressively or you will spook him. It helps if you have a swordfish or pine plywood gift to keep his attention.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Pierson posted:

My wording was bad, sorry, lemme try again: If I set my giant worker to harvest poo poo Turds four times, do I have to be logged on for him to do all four? Because I set that task last night and I logged on this evening to find he had only done it once.

This is one of the reasons why so many people never log off of the game. There are many nights where I click the Disconnect -> End Game -> Minimize to tray button and then go to bed.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Xavier434 posted:

This is one of the reasons why so many people never log off of the game. There are many nights where I click the Disconnect -> End Game -> Minimize to tray button and then go to bed.

Does this actually reduce the load on your computer, and if it does, do you keep fishing as well or does it just pretend you're online for the purposes of labor/work?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

nope i've only hired them from this one town. also despite making the old fishing pole or w/e and equipping it the quest from the otterman won't update. hopefully it's something stupid that i'm doing and not my character being bugged.

That quest wants a fishing rod not an old fishing rod... I think... or it might have been a different one?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Does this actually reduce the load on your computer, and if it does, do you keep fishing as well

Yes

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

gwrtheyrn posted:

Does this actually reduce the load on your computer, and if it does, do you keep fishing as well or does it just pretend you're online for the purposes of labor/work?

Yup. I routinely log off at my favorite fishing hole and wake up the next day with a bag full of blue/yellow fish.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am lewtt, hello

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

I am lewtt, hello

hmm

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I will restle you Eonwe

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i hope thats a promise

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

Game processes go on, fishing including. It does stop rendering so there is no GPU load, CPU load becomes minimal, and RAM load does not decrease significantly. You can hop back into game in bare seconds, it's surprisingly fast.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

kalstrams posted:

Game processes go on, fishing including. It does stop rendering so there is no GPU load, CPU load becomes minimal, and RAM load does not decrease significantly. You can hop back into game in bare seconds, it's surprisingly fast.

Cool, I should probably start doing this instead of leaving the window up. I don't think my computer has been very happy with me over the last couple days

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
TIL: BDO supports mods.

I also learned that modders will do the same thing, regardless of game: http://www.barkaran.com/2016/03/black-desert-online-nude-mod-adds-new.html

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

TIL: BDO supports mods.

I also learned that modders will do the same thing, regardless of game: http://www.barkaran.com/2016/03/black-desert-online-nude-mod-adds-new.html

DAUM is gonna sue for damages. Lingerie cash shop items just decreased in value significantly.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Xavier434 posted:

DAUM is gonna sue for damages. Lingerie cash shop items just decreased in value significantly.

Upon further investigation, it's using a hook in DX11 to simply change texture files around or make them invisible. I don't see a way Daum could stop them if they wanted to.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Actually vaguely on that topic, I wonder when we're going to start seeing more costumes/outfits in the cash shop.

I mean obviously they're going to drip feed them in for marketing reasons but the opening selection has been pretty small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Patch tomorrow. Here are notes. Not a whole lot here but I am really happy that the marketplace search string is no longer case sensitive.

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/39762-patch-notes-march-11th/

quote:

Reason:

• Resolving an issue with monsters properly respawning
• Resolving an issue where Liverto Staff did not drop previously from Scroll Boss drops (You can get it now from Hexe Mari from the Scroll Boss)
• Additional Patch Notes including improvements and new features can be found below.

Ongoing:
• Serendia Issue from 1st day of head start; compensation is still being worked on

Initially we had planned this maintenance today for the 16th March, but due to some urgent issues that had to be addressed swiftly, we decided to push this maintenance before the weekend.

The following changes will be applied during this maintenance:

• Character limitation in the chat window will be expanded to 350
• Removed the case sensitive limitation during marketplace search
• Added whisper notice sound. You can switch it off in your game setting menu
• You can open the knowledge window anytime now
• Issue with the crop information window has been fixed (You could not open it before)
• The Liverto Staff (Wizard/Witch) was missing, because it was part of the Mediah Update in KR service. It has now been added to the drop of "Hexe Marie" (Boss Scroll)

Due to the increased "goldseller" population, we are beginning to put systems in place to suppress their market.

• Items traded 1:1 will become character bound and can not be sold anymore to the NPC (character bound)
• Channel chat will now cost 1 Energy for the first and 3 Energy for any consecutive message

After maintenance we will also offer the coupon to NA players who played on the 28th February between 08:00 UTC (opening) and 18:00 UTC (fixing the Serendia Issue) to submit a request for a "Character Name Swap between 2 existing characters"

You may register your request on that page for swapping the names of two existing characters within the same region.
You must have two existing characters within the same region to be able to register a 'name swap'.
Registration will open latest by end of 11th March and close March 23rd at 08:00 UTC.
Name Swap will be applied on March 30th during the maintenance.
If a character, for which a 'name swap' has been registered is deleted within this process time, your request will fail and your coupon will be consumed.
Only one 'name swap' will be provided. A failed coupon will not be re-imbursed.
Only your character's names will be swapped. This does't affect your character's progression.
Note: Please make sure the chosen names are correct. After your confirmation this process is irriversible!