Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Yeah, they said there is overlapping timelines between Ragnarok, Dr. Strange, and Civil War.

Civil War apparently spans a couple of months and Ragnarok is sometime in the middle of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Speaking of, if Thor is not in this, does that mean that in the movie time line that Thor: Ragnarok is happening at around the same time as Civil War?

Neither Hulk nor Thor are in it (or at least not a big presence) so it would probably make sense for it to happen during their wacky road trip.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also it looks like Ultron is the final prevailing event that gets the Act rolling rather than some idiots on a reality show loving things up royally.

Supposedly the guy from Winter Soldier is in here and loving stuff up at the beginning. Crossbones I think?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tony hosed up and almost destroyed the world. Him being the one to lead the charge to control powers makes perfect sense in the MCU.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rhyno posted:

There's a shitload of stuff in the comic that isn't in the film as Hemsworth isn't playing an evil clone of Thor in this.

Yeah but considering Evans has apparently been wanting out for a while, this would be a good time to make that happen. I don't know what the contracts look like for Infinity War, but those could always be misleading anyway :shrug:

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also I doubt the Punisher randomly shows up to kill a couple of villains.

Be cool if he did though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah but considering Evans has apparently been wanting out for a while, this would be a good time to make that happen. I don't know what the contracts look like for Infinity War, but those could always be misleading anyway :shrug:

Evans changed his tun MONTHS ago and has repeatedly said he wants in for the long haul. The removal of Ike Perlmutter from Marvel Studios has made everyone happier to be involved.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OldTennisCourt posted:

I really hope, and the trailers are making me feel like they are, that this fixes the major problem in the comic and makes both sides like viable options. Like Tony has a very valid point of "Yeah, so we should probably be regulated by a higher governing body and be held responsible to the major disasters like Ultron" and Steve's point of "Yeah but remember how we were all onboard with SHIELD and they turned out to be evil?".

The comic had a huge issue in making Tony look like Mega-Hitler and Steve look like a plucky underdog.

Yeah they definitely worked on making Tony's stance more sympathetic and less Hitlery-ish

quote:

“Obviously it will be easier for the audience to get behind Cap because it’s his movie, it’s his point of view, and he has the most screen time,” said Joe Russo. “However, Tony has the emotional motivation in the film. The most human motivation. … Hopefully, by the time you walk out of the film, [you’re] having a fight with your buddy or your boyfriend or girlfriend about who was right in the film.”

McFeely echoed those sentiments: “We want [half of the] people walking out of this movie going, ‘Tony’s right.’ And half the other people going, ‘Steve’s right.’ That would be a dream if we got a 49-51 split.”

quote:

The writers admitted Stark is blatantly wrong in the comic books — i.e., that whole interdimensional prison he builds to contain fellow superheroes not aligned with him. “Part of the challenge in not making Tony clearly wrong, as he seems to me in the comic book … is to give him his own personal reason,” Markus said. “So that he’s coming from a place where you understand why he would make this decision.”
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/the-godfather-of-superhero-movies-on-the-set-170634774.html

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Hoping for a 10 minute monologue where a reporter says Captain America doesn't represent the United States anymore because he doesn't know who won American Idol last year and doesn't watch NASCAR

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also I doubt the Punisher randomly shows up to kill a couple of villains.

MCU Punisher will be showing up in the new Netflix Daredevil series out real soon so yeah, it's highly unlikely he'll be in Civil War.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hoping for a 10 minute monologue where a reporter says Captain America doesn't represent the United States anymore because he doesn't know who won American Idol last year and doesn't watch NASCAR

Unironically this.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rhyno posted:

Evans changed his tun MONTHS ago and has repeatedly said he wants in for the long haul. The removal of Ike Perlmutter from Marvel Studios has made everyone happier to be involved.

Cool. I like him as the character, though it would have been nice to see Bucky Cap or Falcon Cap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soul Glo posted:

Cool. I like him as the character, though it would have been nice to see Bucky Cap or Falcon Cap.

They clearly had that in mind when they started the Winter Soldier story but with Evans wanting to stay they may have changed the direction they were going.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Spider-Man's costume looks amazing imo. Love it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

The trailer looked better than the last one but I still can't ever get over the goofy BOTH GROUPS RUNNING AT EACH OTHER ON...AN AIRPORT TARMAC OR SOMETHING shot.

It's almost like.... it's trying to look like a comic book cover. That's my thoughts on it. Yeah, it looks a little goofy but comic books are goofy as gently caress too. The setting, I could take or leave, but the whole "Lets have both teams run each other in perfect sync" doesn't really bother me at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tom Gorman posted:

Spider-Man's costume looks amazing imo. Love it.

It looks great. Nothing will ever match the ASM2 suit but they wanted to get away from that design language. And honestly, this new suit looks like a genius 16 year old might have read up on screen printing and made it himself.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Monaghan posted:

I have to admit I did appreciate Whedon really emphasizing in AOU that the avengers actively work their asses off to save people while fighting the big bad guy.

Yeah. AOU is a loving slog of a movie, but that one little detail is something I really appreciated. Just a little acknowledgement that the heroes are at an automatic disadvantage because they have to be aware of the enemy and try to protect others while the antagonists can just be like "gently caress it. blow everything up."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mordiceius posted:

It's almost like.... it's trying to look like a comic book cover. That's my thoughts on it. Yeah, it looks a little goofy but comic books are goofy as gently caress too. The setting, I could take or leave, but the whole "Lets have both teams run each other in perfect sync" doesn't really bother me at all.

I think his problem is more with the "on an airport tarmac or something" portion, and I agree. So many of these movies are visually boring and sterile. A big fight like that would be better not on a nigh featureless block of gray concrete.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It looks great. Nothing will ever match the ASM2 suit but they wanted to get away from that design language. And honestly, this new suit looks like a genius 16 year old might have read up on screen printing and made it himself.

The costume seen here is supposedly the one that Tony makes for him, hence the fancy eyes. The homemade costume is a hoodie-based affair. Hence why he's on Tony's side at this moment in the film, but switches to Cap's later.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

computer parts posted:

Supposedly the guy from Winter Soldier is in here and loving stuff up at the beginning. Crossbones I think?

I think I spotted him in the trailer. Some mask dude anyway.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rhyno posted:

Plus if they wanted to kill Cap they should save it for Infinity Wars to recreate one of the best scenes from The Infinity Gauntlet

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

It reminds me of the opening sequence in AoU where the group lines for that slow-mo shot as they jump at Hydra goons. Which is not a good thing.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Rhyno posted:

It looks like they actually are doing the camera lens thing for the eyes that was rumored when Spider-Man was first announced (along with some awful goggle-eyed concept art)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Please don't remind me that I'm never getting another Garfield Spider-Man movie. The new suit looks really cool, in a very 1970s Spidey way, but ASM cribbed from my favorite Spider-Man (Ultimate), and Garfield was just perfect all around, it bums me out that ASM2 (which was really disappointing) is the last we're seeing of him.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm not getting the same impression from the trailers but otherwise I agree with all of this. What I really hope is that there are more sympathetic voices on the registration side, because it is an idea that makes sense. Tony Stark is just not the right person to lead this charge either here or in the comics because it comes off super laughable and hypocritical. I was under the impression that Thunderbolt Ross isn't a super sympathetic in the comics either.

I feel the difference between Tony and Steve is pragmatism vs idealism.

Tony is pragmatic. His flaw is that due to his pragmatism, he tends to overcorrect for mistakes. Tony's thought process: there are bad guys in the world -> we need heroes to stand up to them -> heroes can't be everywhere -> let's create a robot peacekeeping force -> that force turned evil -> clearly heroes can create evil -> we need to be monitored.

Steve is idealistic. His flaw is that due to his idealism, he can be naive. Steve fears a controlling body since SHIELD already hosed things up once. He tends to view things far more black and white. You're either good or you're evil. Any controlling body will only succumb to corruption and clearly heroes don't need to be controlled because they are forces of good.

You can manifest it in the film by Tony taking a reasonable view to things. "Either we register and allow government oversight or they literally come and hunt us down and imprison/kill us. I'd rather work as an agent for the government than be in prison/dead."

For Steve, he has to just be idealistic. "What we did was because we had to. If we were controlled by government more lives would have been lost. Any control put on us will only hinder us and hurt civilians."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There'll no doubt be a new Spider-Man costume design in every new Spider-Man standalone and at least the first Infinity War but also every other MCU film he gets a role bigger than a stinger cameo. Possibly even more than one re--design in some of those.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There's a pretty good chance Civil War ends with Cap dying, and Bucky or Falcon taking up the mantle.

Cap can return for Infinity War easily enough with the infinity stones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There'll no doubt be a new Spider-Man costume design in every new Spider-Man standalone and at least the first Infinity War but also every other MCU film he gets a role bigger than a stinger cameo. Possibly even more than one re--design in some of those.

Has Holland been confirmed for any other MCU films yet?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah they definitely worked on making Tony's stance more sympathetic and less Hitlery-ish

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/the-godfather-of-superhero-movies-on-the-set-170634774.html

I'm really glad that they realized the registration side was loving terrible in the civil war comics so I'm glad they're making tony seem more sympathetic. At least the central conflict of the movie seems more grey.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Codependent Poster posted:

There's a pretty good chance Civil War ends with Cap dying, and Bucky or Falcon taking up the mantle.

Cap can return for Infinity War easily enough with the infinity stones.

Maybe Bucky, but I kinda doubt it now. That was probably the plan until Evans decided to stay on.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

computer parts posted:

Maybe Bucky, but I kinda doubt it now. That was probably the plan until Evans decided to stay on.

Just have Bucky take up the mantle at the end of Civil War and then have Evans in as a cameo for Infinity War part 1, then bring him back in full in Infinity War part 2. Then boom, he's Cap again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Soul Glo posted:

Kind of assuming this Spidey's Uncle Ben died in the New York incident from the first Avenger's.

I hope they 100% avoid retelling Spider-Man's origin in Civil War, or at least dwelling on it anywhere in the first act. Ideally there'd be a scene early in the film where someone goes "Now there's guys in costume popping up everywhere, the situation is out of control!" with a bunch of screens showing security footage of Spidey and a few other characters and Stark goes "I'll look into it" and then they just don't mention him at all until Stark's reveal in the airport showdown. Introduce him in the big action scene and he can have a scene with Cap at some later point which fleshes out his character.

Rhyno posted:

Has Holland been confirmed for any other MCU films yet?

As far as I know they've only announced that he's contracted for Civil War and a Spider-Man trilogy and that part of the deal is that he won't appear in any MCU TV shows but I'd be amazed if Marvel Studios didn't secure him for Infinity War as well.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Wait a goddamn minute we're getting another Spider-Man trilogy?

Why this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HIJK posted:

Why this.

Spider-Man is already a four billion dollar franchise. Hollywood is going to continue shoving Spider-Man trilogies into your face holes forever and ever.

Edit: Sony may have put the Venom and Sinister Six spinoffs into turnaround but they never gave up on them completely and recently announced that Venom was back on and they're hoping to turn it into a franchise.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 10, 2016

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

HIJK posted:

Why this.

Because Spider-Man owns and we need more actual good Spidey movies.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Spider-Man is already a four billion dollar franchise. Hollywood is going to continue shoving Spider-Man trilogies into your face holes forever and ever.

[insert anime gif here]

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The ASM2 suit was note perfect, right down to the eye size.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

OldTennisCourt posted:

Cap wasn't even there when 9/11 happened. Hell, for all he knows, Cold War never happened.
He's as un-American as they come.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HIJK posted:

Why this.

Because Spider-Man is one of the most profitable and successful superheroes in the world.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So there's a 95% chance Goblin's the villain in the first MCU Spidey film right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ho-leeee gently caress does Black Panther ever look like a badass in that new trailer. The cat run thing he does off the hood of the car, getting riddled with bullets while fighting Bucky. :stare: Also the shot of Ant Man riding Hawkeyes arrow then flying through Iron Man's fingers. Fuckin Vision brought to his knees? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggg

• Locked thread