Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
What's the exploit? I don't get it. Reroll as in you can change your race and class? Or just deleveling to 1? If that, why does 3 hours matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The exploit is that you repeatedly suicide until you delevel a bunch. From there you delete that character, then make a new character with the same name. You then have a epic cleric rez all the corpses, granting all the rez experience to the new character.

3 hours after any given time you die is when you become unable to do cleric rezzes, which is why that number matters for this exploit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Seems like the obvious fix is to delete corpses when you delete a character, but I guess this is 1999. I assume that happened at some point on live?

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Zaphod42 posted:

Seems like the obvious fix is to delete corpses when you delete a character, but I guess this is 1999. I assume that happened at some point on live?

Don't think this bug occured on Live.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

DeathSandwich posted:

The exploit is that you repeatedly suicide until you delevel a bunch. From there you delete that character, then make a new character with the same name. You then have a epic cleric rez all the corpses, granting all the rez experience to the new character.

3 hours after any given time you die is when you become unable to do cleric rezzes, which is why that number matters for this exploit.

It's weird that it looks up the character by name and not by some integer ID. Was this ever actually confirmed as working at some point or just an urban legend?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Wouldn't it be trivially easy to test on like a level 4 character?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
6, you don't lose xp from dying until then. And unless you're getting pl'd, that's several hours of work. That said, I'm going to test this using whatever random alt I have sitting around sometime soon.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The staff takes a pretty dim view of poo poo they view as bending the rules, I'd be pretty leery of doing it on an account I cared about.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

It's a classic "feature" and was done on live, I'd doubt if they care about it at all. It wasn't widely known that it was possible, but I had a couple friends who transferred some NODROP items using this mechanic and transfers to/from Stormhammer server.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

faulteroy posted:

It's a classic "feature" and was done on live, I'd doubt if they care about it at all. It wasn't widely known that it was possible, but I had a couple friends who transferred some NODROP items using this mechanic and transfers to/from Stormhammer server.

I know for sure that nodrop xfers do not work on P99, tested it personally. And yes, if I test this and find out that it works, the first thing I'll be doing is letting the staff know. It's not something that should be happening unless they're OK with it.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I know for sure that nodrop xfers do not work on P99, tested it personally. And yes, if I test this and find out that it works, the first thing I'll be doing is letting the staff know. It's not something that should be happening unless they're OK with it.

If you've got a Red toon you want to try, I think I have a cleric in Innothule Swamp.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The staff takes a pretty dim view of poo poo they view as bending the rules, I'd be pretty leery of doing it on an account I cared about.

exactly. you dudes wanting to test this out, don't do it on an account with your actual main(s)

FknMeh
Dec 9, 2008

How rainbows are made...
Anyone recommend a custom UI to use? Not quite sure how I made it this way with plain old school.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

FknMeh posted:

Anyone recommend a custom UI to use? Not quite sure how I made it this way with plain old school.

I think most people use Duxa? It's on the forums, I use it because it has more hot bars.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Duxa is great, I have been using it for quite awhile.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

QQui is my favorite.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175946

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I use Vert: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7850

Duxa is probably a bit better in terms of immediate readability, but I can't stand the classic spellbook UI. Vert's spellbook is so clean and compact that I can't give it up at this point.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Seconding this recommendation, there's also a bunch of addons on page 4 (or 6?) and I recommend installing most of them, like the moveable chat windows and duxaui spell gems.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

hayden. posted:

It's weird that it looks up the character by name and not by some integer ID. Was this ever actually confirmed as working at some point or just an urban legend?
Anecdotal, but I'm 99.9% sure the unique ID of your character back in the day was the character name. We are talking about EverQuest here, where you could enter Sebilis and go "/tell Trakanon yo", and if it gave back no error message, you knew Trak was up. :downs: It's insane to think about the exploits that were possible back then.

I've also heard that way back, you could die, log out, delete the char, make a new one with the same name, then go loot your old corpse (for no drop transferring).

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Pilsner posted:

Anecdotal, but I'm 99.9% sure the unique ID of your character back in the day was the character name. We are talking about EverQuest here, where you could enter Sebilis and go "/tell Trakanon yo", and if it gave back no error message, you knew Trak was up. :downs: It's insane to think about the exploits that were possible back then.

I've also heard that way back, you could die, log out, delete the char, make a new one with the same name, then go loot your old corpse (for no drop transferring).

/pet attack npc_name still does the same thing on p99, for pet classes. think there may be a few npc's that it doesn't work on, but i don't play a pet class so i can't say for sure.

nodrop corpse xfers were a thing, and there were also exploits like this to xfer items including nodrops to brand new servers for a while.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

/pet attack npc_name still does the same thing on p99, for pet classes. think there may be a few npc's that it doesn't work on, but i don't play a pet class so i can't say for sure.

confirmed since i just did "/pet attack nottap" in plane of sky across two islands to see if he's up -- and he was. i actually had no idea about this form of tracking until someone told me to do it. i'm assuming it works on every npc, because why wouldn't it?

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
camping low level pet class alts and doing that is the best way to check zones for rare spawns, and requires a much lower time investment than leveling ranger tracking alts. probably a lot more relevant of a strategy on red, since things regularly get left up and you usually have time to run your main character to the zone to kill it. on blue you're more limited to whatever zone your main's camped in, but on red you could spend a day porting around lvl 1 necro alts and track the whole game if you wanted to.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 10, 2016

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

red is the more exploitable and therefore more classic server

:smug:

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
the amount of threads on the blue forums complaining about the terrible raid scene is proof that the stockholm syndrome phoenomenon applies to video games

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

camping low level pet class alts and doing that is the best way to check zones for rare spawns, and requires a much lower time investment than leveling ranger tracking alts. probably a lot more relevant of a strategy on red, since things regularly get left up and you usually have time to run your main character to the zone to kill it. on blue you're more limited to whatever zone your main's camped in, but on red you could spend a day porting around lvl 1 necro alts and track the whole game if you wanted to.

I know this is the p1999 thread, but does anyone know if this is still possible on EQ live?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

pepito sanchez posted:

i would rather play on a free ultima online server than play on red

i would rather poo poo on a kitten than play on red

this game is badly, horribly designed for any kind of pvp

why

The game is badly horribly designed for everything but at least on red there is some excitement

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

the amount of threads on the blue forums complaining about the terrible raid scene is proof that the stockholm syndrome phoenomenon applies to video games

Too many people are somehow proud that they and their friends can sit in front of their computers at pretty much every hour of every day and duck/cast CoTH to try and "compete" for FTE. None of which actually ever happened on Live.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

pepito sanchez posted:

i would rather play on a free ultima online server than play on red

i would rather poo poo on a kitten than play on red

this game is badly, horribly designed for any kind of pvp

why

It is actually one of the best-designed MMOs for PvP. The limited number of loot drops and lack of instancing encourages people murdering each other, while the drudgery of pve is alleviated by the prospect of being attacked at any moment by a player.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I agree lack of instancing is a huge perk for a PVP game, but I think there's legit concerns about the glaring class balance issues and idiosyncratic combat mechanics being even worse in PVP and not having the perks of bringing people together like they do in PVE. That and a lot of people (especially who are still playing now) enjoy the slow paced nature of EQ compared to many other games because it lets you play semi AFK. This is not something you can do on an EQ PVP server.

There's also problems specific to the Red99 server itself which include the GIGANTIC gap between a new player and a veteran player in terms of gear and consumable resources (not to mention skill and organization). The rules on Red99 do not promote people working together to protect lower level players, and, combined with the population, they do not promote more than one high end raiding guild. The best group PVP tends to happen when it's lower tier guilds like Casual Scum fighting Thunderdome, not when it's Empire stomping the poo poo out of someone using hilariously superior gear and numbers. I don't see Tempest doing as well as TMO or Friends at being either an entry level raiding guild or a PVP-centric opposition, but we'll see.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
People really overplay the gear gap. It really only took a couple months to take my main from a scrub in rags to one of the better geared players on red. The only class with a high barrier of entry for everquest PVP is a ranger (windstriker) and that's mostly just because nobody wants to farm the content.

Biggest reasons for everquest PVP being poo poo:

Translocate boxes
Rez boxes
Call of the Hero
No partial resists code
Plug pulling
Screen dragging
Mass lag in mass pvp, even w/ modern hardware
poo poo class balance

That being said it's still one of the best PVP MMORPG's of all time. The gameplay mechanics can be as bad as they want, it's automatically better than any "PVP" game with instances.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 12, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Red server is fun and all...

...until you fight a bard.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Anyone on blue want to sell a Circle of Shadow? Just want to buy one for future investment purposes, and who knows if I might roll a necro or SK one day.

Edit: Got it

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 13, 2016

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Should custom helms have tints? Saw a dark elf man with a blue octopus face hat.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I agree lack of instancing is a huge perk for a PVP game, but I think there's legit concerns about the glaring class balance issues and idiosyncratic combat mechanics being even worse in PVP and not having the perks of bringing people together like they do in PVE. That and a lot of people (especially who are still playing now) enjoy the slow paced nature of EQ compared to many other games because it lets you play semi AFK. This is not something you can do on an EQ PVP server.

There's also problems specific to the Red99 server itself which include the GIGANTIC gap between a new player and a veteran player in terms of gear and consumable resources (not to mention skill and organization). The rules on Red99 do not promote people working together to protect lower level players, and, combined with the population, they do not promote more than one high end raiding guild. The best group PVP tends to happen when it's lower tier guilds like Casual Scum fighting Thunderdome, not when it's Empire stomping the poo poo out of someone using hilariously superior gear and numbers. I don't see Tempest doing as well as TMO or Friends at being either an entry level raiding guild or a PVP-centric opposition, but we'll see.

I agree that right now, the sort of person that wants to play P99, is probably not going to have a good time on Red. It's a mixture of issues you addressed, also that Red isn't exactly balanced, and it also has a very deranged population of idiots on cell phones who wake up at 4am to kill dragons, and corrupt GMs who literally look the other way when said players "trade" the loot to people for money.

Ye Olde Classical Launch Everquest, back in the days of yore, was quite a lovely PvP game, and had pretty decent balance for a large world game. I mean the most glaring balance issue was addressed very early at launch, mostly 2/3 dmg nerfs and pumice stones. It was a shame that the developers never kept up with balance; I recall the development team derisively saying that PvP wasn't profitable/wanted in MMOs and then WoW came along and had something like >50% of their servers show them how wrong they were. There was a PvP balance patch in Luclin that was way too little too late.

Every now and then I want to come back to Red, it's fun even though it's really broken.

Siets posted:

Red server is fun and all...

...until you fight a bard.

I also enjoyed turning the corner in a dungeon and coming upon a hasted Monk. Mmmm insta-death.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'm not a PvP fan, but I understand the mindset of wanting to play EQ PvP. I've always been a fan for playing games as they were made, whether single player or multiplayer, and never really enjoyed mods or custom maps and the like. It has its charm to undertake and conquer a game as it was designed, however imbalanced or whack it might be.

I mean honestly, everyone is free to roll whatever race or class they want; it's not as if you click a button and get a random char rolled for you. You can choose which zone you want to go to, and either fight or flee as you please.

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
Giving this another go, please invite Friedrich.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What's the goon guild activity like these days? Just noticed this thread and for some reason I'm feeling masochistic and want to play EQ for the first time in over a decade. Played a ranger back then, had no idea the exp penalty was so huge, explains why it took me loving forever to level up back then...not sure what class I want to play this time around though.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Class xp penalties are actually gone now since we're in Velious on both servers, though racial penalties remain. You can roll pretty much whatever you want and do ok, but you will have an easier time gear wise with some sort of caster for your first character.

There's usually 4-6 people on the blue server goon guild depending on time of day, and plenty of established players who can probably hook you up with some starting cash. There isn't currently a goon guild on red.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
It takes loving forever to level up in general though even without the 40% exp penalty.

Bards are amazing in Velious era as solo kings and can do it basically naked, gently caress what anyone tells you about necros being the best solo class. It is kind of mind numbingly boring to do so though, it's basically fancy running away until all mobs are dead. If you want to group constantly, shaman/cleric/enchanter will all get you where you want to be.

Shamans are pretty classic group standbys since the buffs/debuffs/slows they bring are pretty clutch. Shamans are inherently going to have some level of racial exp penalty, Barbs have like -5%, ogres -10% and Troll/Iksar -20% I believe.

Clerics are also wildly popular with groups for obvious reasons, and you can roll as a halfling, which brings in like a 5-10% experience bonus for your trouble.

Enchanters are liked in groups for the same reason Shamans are to greater or less degrees. After level 16 you bring mana regen, which helps speed up recovery times in your group, as well as some baller haste and slows and crowd controls.

As a first character, I would probably avoid Warrior, Rogue, and Monk simply due to the degree that they are gear dependent and also because gameplay for them involves hitting 2 buttons every 6 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
As I tell everybody, do not play a warrior or wizard under any circumstances.

Seconding that you should probably roll a caster, life is so much easier that way. I recommend Druid, Enchanter, Shaman, Necromancer, Magician in that order.

Post your char name if you roll on blue and we can try to throw you some plat and get you invited, I can pop on later and port you to WC. And if you catch me when I'm drunk or bored I'll power level you a bit.