Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Last I checked a few years ago, the defacto recommendation for a beginner's bike with a not very aggressive riding position was the ninja 250. Is that still the case? I see honda has a few small displacement "sporty" looking bike now. I am sure this gets asked constantly but its not in the OP and I cant read 455 pages of posts, I am too busy bike shopping :v:

I am considering buying a bike and taking a long freeway trip with it, are tiny displacement bikes going to have enough power to run at freeway speeds for a couple days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I did a 430 mile day this fall on my 2007, mostly interstate. It was about 9k rpm cruising 75-80, but if you're ok with that it pulls easily up to 90 plus.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Seconding the ninjette recommend. My 07 EX250 handles freeway great, and has plenty of power for passing or whatever. The only thing you will have to get over is the feeling like you are murdering the engine. But cruising at 9k when the redline is 13 means the engine is barely breaking a sweat. Go for it. They are magnificent little bikes and I love mine.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I also had an 07 ninja 250 and it was fine on the freeway, just really have to rev it out but that's half the fun. Good little bike.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

PaintVagrant posted:

Last I checked a few years ago, the defacto recommendation for a beginner's bike with a not very aggressive riding position was the ninja 250. Is that still the case? I see honda has a few small displacement "sporty" looking bike now. I am sure this gets asked constantly but its not in the OP and I cant read 455 pages of posts, I am too busy bike shopping :v:

I am considering buying a bike and taking a long freeway trip with it, are tiny displacement bikes going to have enough power to run at freeway speeds for a couple days?

250s are great because they cost nothing, they're good to learn on, nobody cares if you scuff one up, and there's a ton of information about them online for when yours inevitably needs work.

300s also exist, SV650s aren't the best newbike but they -are- the goonbike, dualsport 650s are a thing, 250/400/450 supermotos exist, ninja 500s are a thing, GS500, sportsters if you're harleysexual, etc.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Kastivich posted:

Are the reports of random stalling overblown? Most of the complaints about quality and stalling seem to be from people that don't actually own the thing.

Mine has been stalling consistently at least once per ride minimum. But quite often 2 times. It usually happens for me shifting down to first when it is below halfway on temperature (these things for some reason some to run a couple of notches below overheating according to the temp guage- which is normal and consistent even on hot days)

Once it stalled no less then 5 times, not long after my 1000 km run in. I lost my poo poo and rang the dealer imediately, and they fixed it... for about a week. Now 1700 km in it is doing the once a ride stall and im kinda at my wits end. Its a shame because in every other way the bike is excellent. It is so light and fun to ride, and the thumper isnt the luggy piece of crap you might expect. It is basically good usable power from about 2k up to 8k, then you get bonkers power upbto cut off, and its so sprightly the wngine seems "disappointed" to hit that redline. It feels like there is another 1500 to 2000 more rpm in it.
I am riding under the retrictive LAMS we have here. Between this and the ninja I do not think there is a better restricted bike and a few of my far more experienced friends (anything from Duc Multistrada to GSXR 1k) have been thoroughly impressed.

So yes mine stalls. Anecdotal maybe, but it must be relatively common. I am sure I will find someone that is good at tuning them, and when that happens I will have 0 complaints. In the mean time the advice from other owners is "stalling is part of the KTM experience :downs:

Despite this i still wouldnt let this stop you from looking at it. The upright position and extremely lithe handling make it perfect for beginners and seasoned commuters alike.

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 7, 2016

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Ridingwithtom sums the riding experience up pretty well.

https://youtu.be/WMI6tXGNopU
(Sorry I dont know how to use bbcode.)

Basically he wasnt expecting much and was pleasantly surprised.

With that dispensed, are there any other owners or generally knowledgeable people that can help with my question here? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2975471&pagenumber=877&perpage=40#post457120947

(Thanks for the heads up Kastivich )

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 7, 2016

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

fickle poofterist posted:

Mine has been stalling consistently at least once per ride minimum. But quite often 2 times. It usually happens for me shifting down to first when it is below halfway on temperature (these things for some reason some to run a couple of notches below overheating according to the temp guage- which is normal and consistent even on hot days)

Once it stalled no less then 5 times, not long after my 1000 km run in. I lost my poo poo and rang the dealer imediately, and they fixed it... for about a week. Now 1700 km in it is doing the once a ride stall and im kinda at my wits end. Its a shame because in every other way the bike is excellent. It is so light and fun to ride, and the thumper isnt the luggy piece of crap you might expect. It is basically good usable power from about 2k up to 8k, then you get bonkers power upbto cut off, and its so sprightly the wngine seems "disappointed" to hit that redline. It feels like there is another 1500 to 2000 more rpm in it.
I am riding under the retrictive LAMS we have here. Between this and the ninja I do not think there is a better restricted bike and a few of my far more experienced friends (anything from Duc Multistrada to GSXR 1k) have been thoroughly impressed.

So yes mine stalls. Anecdotal maybe, but it must be relatively common. I am sure I will find someone that is good at tuning them, and when that happens I will have 0 complaints. In the mean time the advice from other owners is "stalling is part of the KTM experience :downs:

Despite this i still wouldnt let this stop you from looking at it. The upright position and extremely lithe handling make it perfect for beginners and seasoned commuters alike.

Is your Duke a very early version? Makes me wonder if there isnt some truth to differences in quality control in the US versus everywhere else.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Kastivich posted:

Is your Duke a very early version? Makes me wonder if there isnt some truth to differences in quality control in the US versus everywhere else.

What are the rumours, for the uninitiated?

December '15 complied, so probably built in Sept/Oct I guess. I have no proof, but based on what Ive been able to find on the net, mine probably sits on the more extreme end of the problem (using the "squeeky wheel" theory)

It is stupid because it is clearly a tuning/fuelling problem. Sometimes sitting at the lights it just feels like it is about to stall. Like it is running a tiny bit to rich. I have no proof of this outside of what i can hear and feel. Unfortunately CEM and EFI are both black magic to me.

Would still recommend the bike.

Edit: goddam my spelling is awful when phone posting.

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 7, 2016

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

December '15 complied, so probably built in Sept/Oct I guess. I have no proof, but based on what Ive been able to find on the net, mine probably sits on the more extreme end of the problem (using the "squeeky wheel" theory)

It is stupid because it is clearly a tuning/fuelling problem. Sometimes sitting at the lights it just feels like it is about to stall. Like it is running a tiny bit to rich. I have no proof of this outside of what i can hear and feel. Unfortunately CEM and EFI are both black magic to me.

Digital Jesus was just hypothesizing that the QC might be better on the US-bound bikes. I don't know if there is any hard evidence to support that.

Is it hard to restart after it stalls or does it just spin right back up?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Have you had the first maintenance valve check done on it? There's a few bikes that have had cam problems.

Besides the fan problems and the occasional cam issues, the 390s have seemed pretty solid. I'm gonna try and get my buddy to do a cartridge kit for his forks, and do the R6 swap - I think those 2 things would take it from cheap and cheerful to awesome.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Yeah it is hard to start and the valve clearance service has been done (thats the 1000 km one)

Again please dont let this stop yor friend from looking at it. I still thoroughly recommend it as an awesome little bike.

Edit: the fan thing I have heard about but really haven't been been concerned with. Pretty sure that IS an early bike thing. I will still end up doing it before my Nov tour just in case....

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 7, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's weird that you're having stalling issues - I thought KTM had mostly sorted that out across their model lines by now :(

The bike is all OEM, right? No high flow air filters/etc?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
1st gen model fueling I bet. They'll probably have some ECM updates coming to address it.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Yeah the one I've got runs fantastic and idles with no issues at all so I really donno what to say other than :911:

Also for anyone with the extra cash I would use the 390 as my go-to replacement for a beginner bike over the ninjette hands down.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Just wondering, does it stall if you quickly go WOT at idle? Exhaust smell like gas? If not then it sounds exactly the same as my DRZ when the pilot jet is set too lean.

Especially if you can stop it from stalling by giving it a tiny bit of throttle.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 8, 2016

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Remember this bike? Well apparently the reason it has 35k miles it was that its a former rental.

How hosed I am?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I might be in the market for a small offroad bike soon, something to fart around in farmland and forests on. An agricultural bike would be perfect but they're not sold here, so I guess some sort of dirtbike that doesn't have to have its engine torn down every 100 running hours. Suggestions?

Doesn't need to be fast, but a useful amount of grunt and some space to strap tools and stuff to is a plus.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I think any of the bikes that come as a dual sport are going to have pretty easy maintenance schedules - XT225 or TW200 for smaller examples, DR350 or DRZ for something a bit bigger.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Thanks for the advice everyone. I picked up the V-Strom 650 and it runs great. Just need to find a way to raise the seat height.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Collateral Damage posted:

I might be in the market for a small offroad bike soon, something to fart around in farmland and forests on. An agricultural bike would be perfect but they're not sold here, so I guess some sort of dirtbike that doesn't have to have its engine torn down every 100 running hours. Suggestions?

Doesn't need to be fast, but a useful amount of grunt and some space to strap tools and stuff to is a plus.

TW200! Live the dream!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aEwKJOc55A

ElMaligno posted:

Remember this bike? Well apparently the reason it has 35k miles it was that its a former rental.

How hosed I am?

Are you getting some kind of warranty? I don't think the folks who ride an F800GS as a rental bike are doing wheelies and tearing around like Chris Birch so generally I don't think you're going to be so much worse off than you would otherwise. I'd still probably want some kind of warranty, just in case.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

builds character posted:

TW200! Live the dream!
TW200 would be perfect but it seems it wasn't sold here. :sweden:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

TW200 would be perfect but it seems it wasn't sold here. :sweden:

Yamaha Tricker?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

builds character posted:

Are you getting some kind of warranty? I don't think the folks who ride an F800GS as a rental bike are doing wheelies and tearing around like Chris Birch so generally I don't think you're going to be so much worse off than you would otherwise. I'd still probably want some kind of warranty, just in case.

Yeah, there where some cosmetic damage to the bike, but I could not see frame damage or any other serious damage. I'm just apprehensive since a fellow motorcycle riding coworker has planted some seeds of doubt. Granted the same guy was talking a huge amount of poo poo when I told him i was looking at BMW adv motorcycles, calling them dirt bikes and saying they had a huge amount of flaws (none of which I was able to find anywhere on the net). The only thing he is right about those bikes is that the OEM parts are expensive, the BMW service is expensive and that since it isn't a pre-owned certified BMW bike I should be apprehensive. :shrug:

Also I don't see the dealership offering any sort of warranty on used motorcycles on their website, so I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ElMaligno posted:

Yeah, there where some cosmetic damage to the bike, but I could not see frame damage or any other serious damage. I'm just apprehensive since a fellow motorcycle riding coworker has planted some seeds of doubt. Granted the same guy was talking a huge amount of poo poo when I told him i was looking at BMW adv motorcycles, calling them dirt bikes and saying they had a huge amount of flaws (none of which I was able to find anywhere on the net). The only thing he is right about those bikes is that the OEM parts are expensive, the BMW service is expensive and that since it isn't a pre-owned certified BMW bike I should be apprehensive. :shrug:

Also I don't see the dealership offering any sort of warranty on used motorcycles on their website, so I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.

Consumer Reports-wise, BMWs have more reported problems than Japanese or American bikes.

If that bike has that many miles and still runs fine, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not going to suddenly fall apart. You might be able to get an extended warranty, but those are basically gambling. I'd just be willing to fix stuff that comes along.

The scuffs are there to remind you it's OK to gently caress around off the pavement with it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
>>dirt bikes
>>flaw

sounds like someone doesn't know what riding is all about

dirt is life

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So, this is purely speculation, but I would expect a rental BMW to have less rental-specific problems than say an HD or sportbike. It's not really a bike that invites hooning and rental prices on them are high from what I've seen, so I would think most renters would be older dudes on vacation. Although I know you can ride like a dong on any bike and a first-timer on an ADV bike will probably drop it.

Confirm/deny?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

So, this is purely speculation, but I would expect a rental BMW to have less rental-specific problems than say an HD or sportbike. It's not really a bike that invites hooning and rental prices on them are high from what I've seen, so I would think most renters would be older dudes on vacation. Although I know you can ride like a dong on any bike and a first-timer on an ADV bike will probably drop it.

Confirm/deny?

The bike in question was a MotoQuest bike, from their website:

quote:

Motorcycle Rental Requirements
- 21 years of age or older
- 3 years riding experience on a same size motorcycle (negotiable)
- Valid motorcycle license (must be present at time of pick-up)
- $1,000 to $2,000 damage deposit on Visa or Mastercard
- You MUST HAVE roadside assistance for your own motorcycle recovery. (Check AMA, BMWMOA or others.)

Verdict is still out there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're fine.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/5480563538.html

Thoughts on this? Honda GL500 for $600 OBO. He seems "real honest" with his phrasings.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
My gut says "no."

Edit: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/5470850245.html this one is running and he'd probably take less than $1k, if you really want a GL500.

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 10, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Atomic Hotdog posted:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/5480563538.html

Thoughts on this? Honda GL500 for $600 OBO. He seems "real honest" with his phrasings.

Nope, just not worth it. If i could confirm it ran, the charging system worked, I'd offer 300. Plus you're going to have to undo all of his lovely bullshit.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

gs500f, is it a decent beginner bike? Low seat is appealing as I am 5'6". I assume ninja 500r is a similar bike?~40 hp sounds good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

gs500f, is it a decent beginner bike? Low seat is appealing as I am 5'6". I assume ninja 500r is a similar bike?~40 hp sounds good.

Yes. Only downside is frequent valve adjustments.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You'd enjoy the 500R for longer after the learning period, maybe even being content to not move to something more powerful. They're also capable for touring.

The GS500 will cost less to insure, especially if you're under 25 or whatever that magic age is.

I've never ridden a GS500, so I'm speculating about the EX500 being "more fun to keep and ride for a while after learning" bit, but I know EX500s are taken a lot more seriously in their own right as a somewhat sporty bike that serious adult riders enjoy.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 10, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I am seriously old at 36. Been wanting to ride for 20 years, I used to buy those awesome 10 dollar UK squid mags in high school and daydream a lot about sport bikes.

Now i can afford one and I've got grey ball hairs and a bulging l5s1 disc, so my dreams of Yamaha r1 dominance probably have to be altered a little :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just ride the GS500 for a year or 2, and then buy a MT-10. Problem solved!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Also consider a Yamaha Seca 2. Basically the same ergos as the EX500 and GS500 with a little more power but still in that odd category of good learner but still fun to ride well past learning. Dirt cheap to insure, super easy to work on.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Throwing in my chit for the 500R [EX500]. Bike is fun as hell, capable, and nimble. I'm sure I'll have much better things to say about it once I finally get it resprung for "bigass motherfucker", at 6'4" and 260lbs the current setup is somewhat... soft :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What's the standard donor for suspension swaps on an EX500?