Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Guy A. Person posted:

But in a week and a half the amount of films will double and then increase by 2 every year.

Ideally... but if BvS doesn't make a billion dollars, who knows what will happen?!
This is the same studio that promised us a Justice League movie for 2015, then pussied out and gave us Batman v Superman. Then it pussied out and pushed that it back to May 2016. Then it pussied out again when it realized it would go up against Marvel's Mr. America 3 and moved it to the ever-so-lucrative-for-films month of March.
Oh, then it's revealed that all the tension between the two title characters will go away in the third act so they can team up and fight a Doomsday.
Outlook not so good, bruh.

Here is chart that includes Sony's Spider-Man shared universe, Fox's X-men shared universe, and Chris Nolan's very own special Batman universe.
Nolan's three films absolutely blow every other movie out and are lumped at the top, so for the sake of having nice neat book-ends I threw in Fox's Fantastic Four shared universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
What if I told you that all these films exist in the same universe.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
what is with you and universes

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Boob Marley posted:

Ideally... but if BvS doesn't make a billion dollars, who knows what will happen?!
This is the same studio that promised us a Justice League movie for 2015, then pussied out and gave us Batman v Superman. Then it pussied out and pushed that it back to May 2016. Then it pussied out again when it realized it would go up against Marvel's Mr. America 3 and moved it to the ever-so-lucrative-for-films month of March.
Oh, then it's revealed that all the tension between the two title characters will go away in the third act so they can team up and fight a Doomsday.

WB didn't promise anything in 2015. There might have been rumors of Justice League coming in 2015, but they probably came from unfounded sources. Those rumblings all were likely happening during production of Man of Steel as well. I call bullshit. WB/DC have been trying to get a Batman/Superman movie together for the longest time and Man of Steel somehow ended up being the perfect setup for that. Batman v Superman was originally supposed to to come out in May as well. It only changed release dates to March, i.e., one time, and it do so because it seems like Marvel wanted to play chicken. DC budged for very obvious reasons; Marvel bullied them out because they have since become a box office juggernaut. They didn't "pussy out" bruh. And you're probably going to be surprised about how significant Doomsday is to the overall, more important narrative arc in BvS, from what I've been reading online from those who have claimed to have seen the movie.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Boob Marley posted:

Here is chart that includes Sony's Spider-Man shared universe, Fox's X-men shared universe, and Chris Nolan's very own special Batman universe.
Nolan's three films absolutely blow every other movie out and are lumped at the top, so for the sake of having nice neat book-ends I threw in Fox's Fantastic Four shared universe.

When you look away from your monitor do you just see the world in excel sheets and pie charts and poll results kind of like Neo at the end of the matrix.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Spreadsheets and universe slapfighting aside I have to say this is pretty drat close to my personal ranking of all these movies, top to bottom.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Man of Steel is good and Age of Ultron is bad. Have I completely unshackled your perception of reality Boob Marley?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
You've put Amazing Spiderman and Regular Spiderman in the same universe, and now both Spidermen are dead because of the Timecop rules.

You've killed Spiderman.

Also Xmen Firstclass.
And the Fantastic Fours.
Plus Iron Man 1 with the original Rhodey. That's a universe.
Xmen Origins Wolverine.
Multiple metal guys. (The one from Deadpool.)
You better believe that Incredible Hulk's a universe.

All these characters are dead.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
blade and man of steel are def the two best comic book movies

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What if I told you that all these films exist in the same universe.

The Tommy Westphall Universe

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Guy A. Person posted:

The Tommy Westphall Universe

I hate that kid.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

net cafe scandal posted:

I can't believe you didn't see [inhumanly monotone voice] Thor: The Dark World

The Dork World

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
1) The movie named Captain America is really doing a bad job of making me wanna root for Captain America.
2) Black Panther looks loving sweeeeeeeeet.
3) Why show Spider-Man now. Why, why, why, why, why. Leave that for people to lose their poo poo at when the movie actually comes out. Dammit. That is such a bad choice.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It would be insanely stupid to leave that as a total surprise. A blockbuster movie is not a box of cereal.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They're showing Spider-Man because he's Marvel's most popular superhero and it's very likely that some people will go see the movie just because of him.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
and Spider-Man is more popular than all of the other characters in the movie combined, of course they are going to advertise that he is in it.

E: I'm slow, what he said /\/\/\

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
the studio that worked real hard to get the popular spider man hero in their movie is going to use it in their marketing to get people to spend money to see the big super hero movie

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

VJeff posted:

3) Why show Spider-Man now. Why, why, why, why, why. Leave that for people to lose their poo poo at when the movie actually comes out. Dammit. That is such a bad choice.

Why show anything? They should market it as a romcom featuring Katherine Heigl. Imagine how much people would lose their poo poo when the movie their girlfriend dragged them to turned out to be Civil War.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

teagone posted:

from what I've been reading online from those who have claimed to have seen the movie

I am laughing out loud at you.

net cafe scandal posted:

When you look away from your monitor do you just see the world in excel sheets and pie charts and poll results kind of like Neo at the end of the matrix.

Yes. In fact, movies themselves are nothing more than free-flowing spreadsheets and charts. Every reference in Deadpool and every song in Guardians was just data to me.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You've put Amazing Spiderman and Regular Spiderman in the same universe, and now both Spidermen are dead because of the Timecop rules.

You've killed Spiderman.

Fuuuuuuuck. You are absolutely right. I feel awful.
I deserve nothing less than Van Damme busting through my door and delivering time-justice one boot at a time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slugworth posted:

Why show anything? They should market it as a romcom featuring Katherine Heigl. Imagine how much people would lose their poo poo when the movie their girlfriend dragged them to turned out to be Civil War.

Worked for Deadpool!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

There's going to be a Deadpool Paradox that studio execs will never realize: everything that worked for Deadpool will work inversely for any other movie

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Who is on the ground next to Wanda when she is blowing out Vision?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tyree posted:

Who is on the ground next to Wanda when she is blowing out Vision?

Hawkeye.

Looks like they're trying to leave the Avengers compound, Vision does something to Clint, and that pisses Wanda the hell off since she's pretty close with Hawkeye.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I get the feeling that they're going to set out to make movie where nobody is in the wrong, and end up making a movie where everybody is wrong.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Man of Steel is better than any Marvel studios film.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Taking a closer look at the screen where Thunderbolt Ross is showing the clips from previous films the canon deathtoll is as follows:

The Avengers
Overall losses $18.8 billion, 74 casualties.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Overall losses $2.8 billion, 23 casualties.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Overall losses $474 billion, 177 casualties.

So in three films depicting an alien invasion of New York led by an Asgardian god, three helicarriers crashing in the middle of Washington D.C. and a rogue A.I. intent on engineering an extinction level event the total loss of life is 274 people.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rurea posted:

There's going to be a Deadpool Paradox that studio execs will never realize: everything that worked for Deadpool will work inversely for any other movie

the ipad effect

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

greatn posted:

Don't troll.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

It's so good but I really love Winter Soldier.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jutsuka posted:

Taking a closer look at the screen where Thunderbolt Ross is showing the clips from previous films the canon deathtoll is as follows:

The Avengers

So in three films depicting an alien invasion of New York led by an Asgardian god, three helicarriers crashing in the middle of Washington D.C. and a rogue A.I. intent on engineering an extinction level event the total loss of life is 274 people.

But so many cars.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jutsuka posted:

The Avengers

The Avengers can't be accurate because some of the most expensive real estate in the world was blown up, plus we see a clip of a newspaper that claims hundreds died in the attack on New York City.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

But so many cars.

$429 billion in damages. At least $400 billion was from car death.

I said come in! posted:

The Avengers can't be accurate because some of the most expensive real estate in the world was blown up, plus we see a clip of a newspaper that claims hundreds died in the attack on New York City.

I swear they are terrified of getting the same criticism as MoS and have been trying to minimize it ever since. Even "hundreds" is a preposterous estimate, given what we see in the first 5 minutes after the portal opens and the Chitari are shooting exploding lasers at crowds of people, cars, and buildings.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

$429 billion in damages. At least $400 billion was from car death.

I swear they are terrified of getting the same criticism as MoS and have been trying to minimize it ever since. Even "hundreds" is a preposterous estimate, given what we see in the first 5 minutes after the portal opens and the Chitari are shooting exploding lasers at crowds of people, cars, and buildings.

They should just go with it cause it means Civil War's story makes a lot more sense. it adds a lot more weight to what is going on. Don't retcon this Marvel! This actually matters a lot to the overall Avengers storyline.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Ryan Coogler's doing Black Panther, right?

Is he working with his cinematographer from Creed? Because that could be really cool.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

Ryan Coogler's doing Black Panther, right?

Is he working with his cinematographer from Creed? Because that could be really cool.

I would really enjoy some single take fight scenes in black panther

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jutsuka posted:

The Avengers

It's hilarious that the Avengers are involved in all this destruction and death and are threatened with constant military supervision or underwater Gitmo and Superman is involved in a whooole lot more destruction and death and he only has to attend a senate hearing. Although I really loving hate having to go to meetings too so I guess when you take that into account it's not all that much better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jutsuka posted:

The Avengers

Maybe it's in K.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Boob Marley posted:

Every reference in Deadpool and every song in Guardians
hahahaha

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's hilarious that the Avengers are involved in all this destruction and death and are threatened with constant military supervision or underwater Gitmo and Superman is involved in a whooole lot more destruction and death and he only has to attend a senate hearing. Although I really loving hate having to go to meetings too so I guess when you take that into account it's not all that much better.

The difference is that most of the Avengers you could kill with a gun and good timing.

Superman is the one who killed the dude who tore through your military and made a part of your city into a pancake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jutsuka posted:

The Avengers

Haha. Jesus Christ.

But, actually, this makes sense if you read it as the number of deaths for which the Avengers were found personally responsible.

Like, straight-up negligent homicide kind of stuff.

• Locked thread