Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

No clue I went cheap with both my previous tablets and they were both rear end. My latest a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Is pretty awesome. Might want to get a case though. The only issue might be that its around 2 years old and runs kitkat which is as far as I'm concerned a plus.

Those are a bit more than I am looking to spend even used so I won't be going that route. These are also for kids to use to play cartoon games so they don't really have to be the best. They have been using 1st gen kindle fires and they are ok just more and more games won't run on them so I want to upgrade. I plan on getting cases and screen protectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Trastion posted:

Those are a bit more than I am looking to spend even used so I won't be going that route. These are also for kids to use to play cartoon games so they don't really have to be the best. They have been using 1st gen kindle fires and they are ok just more and more games won't run on them so I want to upgrade. I plan on getting cases and screen protectors.

No prob it should be fine since your doubling up on ram and upgrading the processor a bit, but you'll probably have to upgrade again sooner. I don't know how long you can wait til.But the one I linked was about 200-210 6-8-ish months ago, so if you either wait a few months or until the new Samsung tab hits it should drop in price again.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Trastion posted:

So I am looking at the Lenovo Tab2 8". Anyone have any views on this tablet?

Got this one for my mom on sale.

Its fine, not the greatest thing in the world and Lenovo's android skin can be a bit finnicky but no deal breakers.

Build quality is good, feels solid enough to accidentally take a few hits, Some of the Samsung stuff feels like delicate flowers.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

No prob it should be fine since your doubling up on ram and upgrading the processor a bit, but you'll probably have to upgrade again sooner. I don't know how long you can wait til.But the one I linked was about 200-210 6-8-ish months ago, so if you either wait a few months or until the new Samsung tab hits it should drop in price again.

Well I am hoping these last a few years like the Fires did. Then I can get them Brain Stem Implants or whatever the hot new thing is that all their friends have... If they break these they can go back to using the old kindles. :)

apatheticman posted:

Got this one for my mom on sale.

Its fine, not the greatest thing in the world and Lenovo's android skin can be a bit finnicky but no deal breakers.

Build quality is good, feels solid enough to accidentally take a few hits, Some of the Samsung stuff feels like delicate flowers.

Thanks. I am going to wait a couple more weeks to see if anything goes on sale but if not I think I am going to get these.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need a PC microphone. Preferably something that I can prop in front of my keyboard, isn't USB and $50 or less. Just using it for Skype, Vent and such. Doesn't have to be very professional.

Right now I have a fine headset with a mic but I hate talking when I can barely hear myself.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

Inzombiac posted:

I need a PC microphone. Preferably something that I can prop in front of my keyboard, isn't USB and $50 or less. Just using it for Skype, Vent and such. Doesn't have to be very professional.

Right now I have a fine headset with a mic but I hate talking when I can barely hear myself.

You could offset the headset so it only covers one ear? It only gets uncomfortable for long sessions.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Rolo posted:

Is Mattress Firm a ripoff for buying a mattress? My 200 dollar one is killing me and I've decided to be an adult and invest in my sleep. I'd like a chain store so I can go try it out. I don't know what my budget is but I'm not spending 5k. I'm thinking 1k if I absolutely love it.

I live in Las Vegas if anyone knows of anything region specific.

Yes, mattress firm is a rip off. So is every other major retailer or mattresses.

Go to https://www.themattressunderground.com
That will teach you everything you need to know about buying a mattress, whether online, in a store, or wherever.

It's one of the most important purchases you make, so I recommend taking the time to learn how to do it right.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fooge posted:

You could offset the headset so it only covers one ear? It only gets uncomfortable for long sessions.

That's what I do now and it's less than ideal. Plus, there is very little need for me to use a headset over my speakers.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
My wife and I spent a small fortune on a latex mattress, but it is the second best money I've ever spent besides lasik. Don't skimp on something as important as a good night's sleep.

hamsystem has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Mar 9, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
People always say that about mattress, but I have never noticed much of a difference in anything above a "oh god did someone die on this why is there a permeant valley in the middle" grade mattress. I find that blanket/comforter quality is far far more important.

Source: Maybe 100 nights a year in a wide price range of hotels.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Inzombiac posted:

You can get a Blue Snowball the black one is close to 50$ or you can get the blue one and tell your friends you have blue balls.

apatheticman posted:

Some of the Samsung stuff feels like delicate flowers.

That's why I have mine clad in 3 inches of steel to keep it from breaking if I drop it. I've lost a toe due to this tactic, but hey no strategy is perfect.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hrvstmn31 posted:

You can get a Blue Snowball the black one is close to 50$ or you can get the blue one and tell your friends you have blue balls.

That's why I have mine clad in 3 inches of steel to keep it from breaking if I drop it. I've lost a toe due to this tactic, but hey no strategy is perfect.

Seconding the snowball, I have one and it's quite excellent for the $30 I paid at a going-out-of-business radio shack

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

"isn't usb" throwing some people for a loop, apparently.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Inzombiac posted:

Does "isn't usb" mean "3.5 mm?" If so, buy any old bullshit from china, it's all gonna be pretty much the same. The smaller it is the worse it will be, without dampening it will pick up more static. If there are other ports, such as firewire, that you're open to then the game changes a bit and I don't know.

You're really filtering out all of the best products for your purpose with that no-USB requirement.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Can always just get a headset, wear it around your neck and adjust the mic to be close to your mouth. Thats what I do for gaming and it works fine in mumble.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

I need a new computer chair. Mine's old and hurts my back. I work from home and also game, so I spend a good bit of time in it.

Is there such a thing as a good chair that doesn't cost $1000?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

PleasusChrist posted:

I need a new computer chair. Mine's old and hurts my back. I work from home and also game, so I spend a good bit of time in it.

Used chairs can cost around half as much.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PleasusChrist posted:

I got a couple 'Eurotech' brand chairs from a local office furniture place. They have been very durable and are quite comfortable. Better than any chair I've been provided at other companies. I think they were about $350 each.

I haven't used an Aeron to compare to, but this chair is great and I would be happy to have one at home, too.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Dynex and a few other companies make cheap headsets that have a single earphone so that you can still hear what's going on around you; they also keep the mic nearer when you're using it (it rotates up when not in use). They come in both USB and non-USB versions (I accidentally bought one of the latter at Best Buy not too long ago).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alright, I didn't know it would make a huge difference so I'll open it up to USB. Those Snowball ones look neat but are a little pricy.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Snowball is worth the price. I've had one for 10 years.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I need a simple, easy to use invoicing program. Free would be ideal, but cheap would be alright too. I do very very simple invoicing for events mostly so the client feels better about writing a check, not as any part of my book keeping process, so all I really need is a program with a basic invoice template that can auto-fill some categories. I've been using a program called EasyInvoice, but it's a piece of poo poo (crashes constantly) and I want something better.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Inzombiac posted:

Alright, I didn't know it would make a huge difference so I'll open it up to USB. Those Snowball ones look neat but are a little pricy.

Not really in the same "league", as the Snowball is a condenser mic and will just have generally better quality (if you set it up in the ideal location) but I swear by the Antlion Modmic. The quality is fantastic, you can attach it to your desk, your headphones or whatever using sticky magnets. Again its not that cheap but it'll last for ages and is really versatile as long as you dont accidentally run your desk chair over it. (and its 3.5mm)

http://www.modmic.com/collections/modmic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVFKbVPTdG8

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Mar 11, 2016

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Inspector 34 posted:

I need a simple, easy to use invoicing program. Free would be ideal, but cheap would be alright too. I do very very simple invoicing for events mostly so the client feels better about writing a check, not as any part of my book keeping process, so all I really need is a program with a basic invoice template that can auto-fill some categories. I've been using a program called EasyInvoice, but it's a piece of poo poo (crashes constantly) and I want something better.

Why not have someone on samart slap together a word/openoffice template? Sounds like you don't actually need a program at all

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Literally google "excel invoice template".

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I thought about using some kind of Office template, I just don't know if that would allow me to keep some of the functionality of an actual invoicing program. Can it automatically number each invoice individually, automatically enter each product and price into a database for future use, and do the same with customer info? If yes then I'll definitely just use a template. I figured I would have to do each of those things manually and that just sounds like too much work so I was hoping someone around here could point me in the right direction for a simple program.

I also don't like how easy it is to gently caress up a template with a couple errant clicks, and I know with 100% certainty that one of my employees will screw it up somehow. Is there a way to lock it down so my guys can only enter in information but not actually edit the formatting?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I pulled the trigger on a black Snowball. I would have loved to get the pink or green one but I'm not paying $20 more for something no one else will see.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

I thought about using some kind of Office template, I just don't know if that would allow me to keep some of the functionality of an actual invoicing program. Can it automatically number each invoice individually, automatically enter each product and price into a database for future use, and do the same with customer info? If yes then I'll definitely just use a template. I figured I would have to do each of those things manually and that just sounds like too much work so I was hoping someone around here could point me in the right direction for a simple program.

I also don't like how easy it is to gently caress up a template with a couple errant clicks, and I know with 100% certainty that one of my employees will screw it up somehow. Is there a way to lock it down so my guys can only enter in information but not actually edit the formatting?

What you want is not a simple program. You are likely going to have to pony up and buy some kind of enterprise software.

You can make a PDF that is mostly locked, but the specifics are beyond me. I think that should be easy to do with a free or cheap PDF creator.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Inspector 34 any qualms with Quickbooks for Independent Contractors? Quickbooks does all the things you want at about $5 a month.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I have no problem with QuickBooks personally, but I don't know if I want to pay for it. I maybe have an old version I could install and try out, and honestly that might be my best bet. Haven't heard of the other one you mentioned but I'll look into it for sure.

As I mentioned, I've been using a program called EasyInvoice, I guess I just assumed there would be something else similar floating around.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I know this isn't samart (I don't mind posting there to keep things kosher), but I have a license for Quickbooks 2015 Pro windows desktop (meaning offline and no monthly fees) that I could transfer to you for half of whatever retail price you can find. I paid a couple hundred on it for a failed business and it'd be nice to make a little back while helping someone else out

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'd like a good safe to keep my few valuables in. Doesn't have to be too big, just going to keep documents and a flash drive with important digital junk in it. I frequent the security fuckup thread in yospos, which has made me incredibly weary of any electric or biometric safe as they all seem to either be complete worthless garbage or cost $2000 and are only available to government contractors. I've considered just getting a safe deposit box but I need quick access to the digital stuff at least. Thanks!

EDIT: More info: I rent so I can't exactly anchor it into the floor like I know you're supposed to do with good small safes, so I'm mostly looking for fire safety, but it would just feel wrong to buy a safe that can be broken into easily even if I realize anyone actually breaking in could just pick it up and leave with it.

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Mar 13, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I'd like a good safe to keep my few valuables in. Doesn't have to be too big, just going to keep documents and a flash drive with important digital junk in it. I frequent the security fuckup thread in yospos, which has made me incredibly weary of any electric or biometric safe as they all seem to either be complete worthless garbage or cost $2000 and are only available to government contractors. I've considered just getting a safe deposit box but I need quick access to the digital stuff at least. Thanks!

EDIT: More info: I rent so I can't exactly anchor it into the floor like I know you're supposed to do with good small safes, so I'm mostly looking for fire safety, but it would just feel wrong to buy a safe that can be broken into easily even if I realize anyone actually breaking in could just pick it up and leave with it.

The problem is that fire safes and, erm, "safe" safes are pretty much an either/or at consumer price levels. Also don't be so sure that good stuff is only available to James Bond, thanks to the wonders of ebay you too can own your own colossal government-approved secure container for less than the price of a dirty weekend. Find out whatever the USG equivalent names are and I'm sure that you can find your very own.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The problem is that fire safes and, erm, "safe" safes are pretty much an either/or at consumer price levels. Also don't be so sure that good stuff is only available to James Bond, thanks to the wonders of ebay you too can own your own colossal government-approved secure container for less than the price of a dirty weekend. Find out whatever the USG equivalent names are and I'm sure that you can find your very own.

Oh Ok, the last few times the cool poo poo was posted to the sec fuckup thread there was a bunch of YOU NEED TO BE AN APPROVED ENTITY TO BUY THIS warnings all over it, I guess I should have realized that they'd probably just be selling the same thing minus secret NSA bits under a different name :v:

Anyway a few hundred bux is fine, I don't expect to get a good one for like $50. Thanks for the suggestion for the big fat Chubb

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Granted it won't help with the physical stuff, but have you considered using an OTFE program like Veracrypt to encrypt the files on your flash drive and then store them on something like Dropbox? As long as you use a password that can't be brute forced 256 bit encryption is impossible to break.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Geoj posted:

Granted it won't help with the physical stuff, but have you considered using an OTFE program like Veracrypt to encrypt the files on your flash drive and then store them on something like Dropbox? As long as you use a password that can't be brute forced 256 bit encryption is impossible to break.

That's sorta what I'm already doing - I encrypt all my stuff (using GPG because I'm :spergin:) and push it to the cloud. The safe would be for the encryption key, my GPG signing key, extra copies of super important scanned documents just in case Google somehow screws up and deletes my poo poo, that sort of stuff. If I just secured all this with only a password I'd have to use a password that I only use for that, which would have to be long and unique, which means i'd probably forget it and need to write it down, which would then need to be stored somewhere safe... etc.

Someone in the sec fuckup thread suggested keeping a copy in a safe deposit box (because it's more secure against fire than anything I could reasonably buy) and just getting a cheap safe for my home (because I'd need access to them quickly in some cases, but don't want it just laying around). So I guess now I'm just looking for a pretty good, reasonably heavy safe that can't be opened by hitting it with a hammer or putting a magnet on it or whatever, but it doesn't have to be fire safe or super max secure.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Just find somewhere to hide it that isn't completely obvious yet not too inconvenient (buried under the foundation of your house). I mean it's a usb key, it'll fit anywhere. And if they can't find it (unlike a big safe) then not even a crane or a thermal lance will let anyone take it

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Honestly, for your use case I'd say a safe is a bad idea since it screams "steal me". You should get a couple waterproof boxes like http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Smart-Phone-Watertight-Case-Orange/36547606 and duplicate what you have stored. For something this critical, you should also be redundant since storage methods are so cheap. Put the key files and whatnot on thumbdrives made by 2 different manufacturers (as in the actual chips inside, not just the case's branding) and also burn a copy of the data to a CD. Maybe even print out a base-64 version hardcopy of the file in case everything goes to hell so you can OCR it as a last-ditch recovery effort.

As far as exactly what you're storing, you should create a truecrypt 7.1a volume (Or whatever other equivalent) and store all of your keyfiles and password lists and whatnot in there. DON'T give it the same type of password that you use on sites like "av%m-4dZ8[uST$.Fxs[a2mf5H-V@{A-s" - instead, create an actual passphrase using a sentence or even an entire paragraph (and stick your "normal" strong password on the end for good measure). If you can't be positive about remembering the password, go for one of the regular mnemonic devices like picking a line from a book or something like that. Store the source book in your safe deposit box, and you can just save the page number and line/paragraph/sentence/whatever number along with the file. Hell, you could even just make it the filename like "00524.22.tcv". Since you're also tacking on a remembered password, you don't need to worry about people getting the full sentence from your clue.

Once you're done making your file, keep a crapload of copies of it. Keep a waterproof backup kit in your house, in your car, at your work, and with your parents or SO or something like that. Keep a copy of your encrypted file on every physical hard drive you own, on every phone you have, on every thumbdrive you have, and on every webserver you have (though not necessarily in a public directory). Remember, you encrypted the hell out of the file, so you could feel safe plastering it on a billboard.

e: Oh, and of course keep a copy of the source code and binaries for each major OS of the encryption software along with the file - you don't want to need to use the file in 15 years and be hosed when you can no longer find a trustworthy copy

Vvv: drat, only about $30?! I knew physically written discs were a thing, but I thought they were still restricted to industrial/university

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 03:03 on Mar 14, 2016

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Sentient Data posted:

Put the key files and whatnot on thumbdrives made by 2 different manufacturers (as in the actual chips inside, not just the case's branding) and also burn a copy of the data to a CD. Maybe even print out a base-64 version hardcopy of the file in case everything goes to hell so you can OCR it as a last-ditch recovery effort.

CDs decay too, try an M-Disc. It's basically an archival quality DVD made of stone. Looks like this usb M-Disc writer comes with 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Christ just encrypt it and upload it in a few places somewhere, you don't need to print out the key and store it in your butt for safe keeping