Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Current XXX variant:

quote:

=========
XXX Torps
=========

98 points

Pilots
------

Wedge Antilles (38)
X-Wing (29), R2-D2 (4), Proton Torpedoes (4), Crack Shot (1), Guidance Chips (0)

Wes Janson (34)
X-Wing (29), R3-A2 (2), Plasma Torpedoes (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

Biggs Darklighter (26)
X-Wing (25), R4-D6 (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Crack Shot is just kind of a 'why not', thought about Lightning Reflexes too. Wes gets Adaptability, and I could drop the plasma torpedoes to flechettes to put Predator on Wedge and end up at 99...

I tried out Porkins with his repair astro, but the combo feels like it needs PtL to be worth anything at all, and I'd rather have Biggs.

I hate getting melted by TLTs. Miranda running around with a TLT and regenerating off it just evaporates T65s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

Current XXX variant:

I could drop the plasma torpedoes to flechettes to put Predator on Wedge and end up at 99...

That's what I'd do. Predator on Wedge is just so good that I can't imagine running anything besides that, or Opportunist for a gimmicky "If I roll this many dice maybe my opponent will get flustered and make a mistake" build.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

I've been looking for an R2 candy/gum tin to hold my rebel dice but I can't seem to find any. All I see are stormtrooper mint tins which are fine but I want a rebel one too.

I got mine at Michaels but that was like..last summer

He is adorable :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah I see other players with that but can't find any! I got my stormtroopers last year too. Stormtrooper can hold 10 dice perfectly but the R2 looks like it can hold dice and chits.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

BattleMaster posted:

Holy poo poo, what? Why wasn't it a huge ship?

They want kids to buy it and no one is playing epic.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
No one playing Epic is the reason why I can't convince myself to rationalize getting the Rebel a Transport. I want Wes, but not the giant boondoggle of a epic ship.

I know it's a "spend money to get this" thing but I want to buy individual pilots and the templates. Is there a place to do that?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Facebook: Star Wars miniatures swap and sell

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
I just eBay cards instead of buying ships a lot of the time. Or proxy them since I mostly play friends.

Edit: Except the raider. I bought the poo poo out of that sexy motherfucker.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So, which do you think is better:

Jake Farrell (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Proton Rockets (3)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Rookie Pilot (21)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Rookie Pilot (21)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Rookie Pilot (21)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Or:

Ello Asty (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-X3 (1)
Autothrusters (2)

Rookie Pilot (21)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Rookie Pilot (21)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Rookie Pilot (21)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Same brick, difference ace. I'm leaning towards Farrel, but Ello's a long time favorite too.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'd go Ello because white Talon Rolls are super rad.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Endman posted:

Talon Rolls are super rad.

This is absolutely true.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'd also go with Ello just to play Intergalactic on my phone everytime he does something.

But competitively I think Jake is what you want to really threaten enemy Aces and survive TLTs.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Endman posted:

I'd go Ello because white Talon Rolls are super rad.

Only bad thing about Ello is that he's utterly poo poo down by stress.

If you run into a Rebel Captive, Stresshog, Tactician, or the new Thermal Detonator it's going to be a rough game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Endman posted:

Holy poo poo. Drea Renthal can now focus + target lock for two stress over and over and over and over and over

Only for one round, then the focus evaporates forever.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Someone asked me to provide a size comparison for the VCX-100.

O COME ON NOW as if the loving K wing was not bad enough.

I'm so meh about the stuff that was still secret with the exception of the Detonator and the Lothal Rebel. Lothal Rebel gives you two Rebels with 2-point upgrades and a loving stresshog which is insane, and the TD is a very good bomb, but... no GGGGZ, OCR4 is just a lame duck, the TAP generic is slightly too expensive to be cool as well... everything just seems a little overcosted, and Scum still lack a really top-tier ship, except just maybe Dengar, but you pay for him what you pay for OL AND Soontir together (or Stresshog and Jake), and I wouldn't massively rate his chances of taking either pair down.

But hey, Panic Attack is back, only with worse hull:shield ratio and no repositioning. Yay(!)

:( I so wanted Mist Hunter to be good.

Maybe 4LOM has legs, but overall I'm so much less hype than I was last week. :smith:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Well, I'm still hyped for Kanan upgrade. :colbert:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Yeah there's a bunch of good upgrades in the wave even if the ships aren't insane by themselves. Baffle (I love Lambda Shuttles), Chimps, Cloaking Device, Dengar, Boba, XX-23 Tracers, the entire crew of the Ghost, etc.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, the Scum, particularly the Mist Hunter, seem to be a great delivery vehicle for some crew cards.

The Ghost is fantastic overall, to the point I'm really kinda worried about facing it, there are several outstanding options for it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Why are you sad about this? GGGGZ would be a carbon copy of BBBBZ. BBBBZ exists. There's no need for another. The G is almost a carbon copy of a B-Wing with a slightly better dial. In fact, considering how good BBBBZ is, GGGGZ would probably be too good, since the G is a B-Wing but ever so slightly better.

The G seems cool and good. With the huge number of good scum crew, and an illicit slot, it'll see plenty of play.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think the G1A could've easily been 22 points in the current meta without breaking anything.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

Why are you sad about this? GGGGZ would be a carbon copy of BBBBZ. BBBBZ exists. There's no need for another. The G is almost a carbon copy of a B-Wing with a slightly better dial. In fact, considering how good BBBBZ is, GGGGZ would probably be too good, since the G is a B-Wing but ever so slightly better.

The G seems cool and good. With the huge number of good scum crew, and an illicit slot, it'll see plenty of play.

Because I own scum ships and I don't own B wings. Basically.

I can see four Gs potentially being OK, but TLTs will just melt them. Thug Life is probably much stronger overall.

The more I play TLTs the more I wonder whether there's not a nerf in the planning for them.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The only possible nerf would be a rules change along the lines of range bonuses apply to turrets, except the dorsal turret text kinda messes that up. I think receiving the extra green die at range 3 (perhaps only when outside the arc) would put TLT in the right spot.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Are TLTs really that broken? T4x TLT lists have pretty much disappeared from my local meta because they're weak to many of the popular lists right now. Stresshogs are popular, but its not like TLT is a make or break card for them.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

ranbo das posted:

Are TLTs really that broken? T4x TLT lists have pretty much disappeared from my local meta because they're weak to many of the popular lists right now. Stresshogs are popular, but its not like TLT is a make or break card for them.

TLTs are unbelievably good against the things which dominated the pre-wave 7 meta (big ship + ace lists, BBBB(Z)). They caused a huge meta shift when they came out. Most the lists that are popular right now became popular because they are good against TLTs.

I don't think they should be toned down, but I think some ships are in trouble because of them (Falcons, Decimators).

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

thespaceinvader posted:

Because I own scum ships and I don't own B wings. Basically.

Buying 4 B-Wings would cost you exactly as much as buying 4 G1-As.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

hoiyes posted:

The only possible nerf would be a rules change along the lines of range bonuses apply to turrets, except the dorsal turret text kinda messes that up. I think receiving the extra green die at range 3 (perhaps only when outside the arc) would put TLT in the right spot.

This would just make Soontir Fel even more invincible.

TLTs are fine. They cost 6 Freakin Points.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

alg posted:

This would just make Soontir Fel even more invincible.

TLTs are fine. They cost 6 Freakin Points.

Lol. Soontir Fel has enough foolproof hard counters at the moment, that who cares if he even harder counters TLT. Quad TLT lists deserve at least a couple of ships that give them a cold sweat when they deploy.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

hoiyes posted:

Lol. Soontir Fel has enough foolproof hard counters at the moment, that who cares if he even harder counters TLT. Quad TLT lists deserve at least a couple of ships that give them a cold sweat when they deploy.

Brobots
Crack swarm
Tractor beamers
Guidance chimps

That's just off the top of my head

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

alg posted:

Brobots
Crack swarm
Tractor beamers
Guidance chimps

That's just off the top of my head

Brobots hard counter Thug Life? I'm not doubting you, but my anecdotal experience locally has not shown that to be that case. However, that could easily be chalked up to skill differences. It's not obvious to me what it is about Brobots that hard counters TLT, whereas everything else you listed makes sense to me.

nilstryfe
Dec 22, 2004
Hong Kong Cavalier

Finster Dexter posted:

Brobots hard counter Thug Life? I'm not doubting you, but my anecdotal experience locally has not shown that to be that case. However, that could easily be chalked up to skill differences. It's not obvious to me what it is about Brobots that hard counters TLT, whereas everything else you listed makes sense to me.

PS advantage with boost, 3 evade dice with optional evade action economy, the ability to hit from range 3 with a HLC and autothrusters consistently. Against a ship with 1 evade it's not unreasonable to hit a Y with 2 HLC's and have it 0 out and explode in one round.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
TLTs are bad for the game because they're really demoralizing to play against if you're new to tournaments! You roll up with your T65s and there's this list that doesn't give a gently caress what you do, it just flies around rolling dice and you explode.

They sidestep a lot of the core mechanics of X-Wing in favor of slow, consistent damage at long range. I'm not a fan. Give the target a bonus evade at range 3, okay, that could work for me.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

nilstryfe posted:

PS advantage with boost, 3 evade dice with optional evade action economy, the ability to hit from range 3 with a HLC and autothrusters consistently. Against a ship with 1 evade it's not unreasonable to hit a Y with 2 HLC's and have it 0 out and explode in one round.

Okay, that makes sense. Admittedly, I just don't know brobots lists very well. All I know is that it's two IG-88s and some junk. Sounds like it pretty much matches the anti-TLT theme, though: High damage output to beat the steady, persistent TLT death clock.

I'm hopeful, though, because even the FFG designers have acknowledged that TLT was stronger than they intended. Reigning it in will be a tough design problem to tackle, but FFG seem up to it. I mean, this isn't WizKids or anything.

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 11, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

hoiyes posted:

If you're going to go this route I'd say a more elegant change would simply be to errata TLTs to function as the inverse of Dorsal Turrets, that is to say that they roll only 2 dice at range 3. In general I feel it's better to keep the "core" rules of the game as unchanged as possible to prevent confusion.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Ringo Star Get posted:

No one playing Epic is the reason why I can't convince myself to rationalize getting the Rebel a Transport. I want Wes, but not the giant boondoggle of a epic ship.

I know it's a "spend money to get this" thing but I want to buy individual pilots and the templates. Is there a place to do that?

I recommend this guy. He ships fast and sends exactly what is advertised in new-condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-X...B_Nc6SHNQ_8q4Pg

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Poopy Palpy posted:

Buying 4 B-Wings would cost you exactly as much as buying 4 G1-As.

Less, actually, the Mist Hunter is a big-pack ship whereas the b-wing is a small-pack I think.

But I don't want no rebels.

4Gs is actually not sounding as awful as first thought; the extra PS does help it a lot against the PS2 swarm lists; and there are some useful crew options. But I'm still not 100% on it.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

General Battuta posted:

TLTs are bad for the game because they're really demoralizing to play against if you're new to tournaments! You roll up with your T65s and there's this list that doesn't give a gently caress what you do, it just flies around rolling dice and you explode.

They sidestep a lot of the core mechanics of X-Wing in favor of slow, consistent damage at long range. I'm not a fan. Give the target a bonus evade at range 3, okay, that could work for me.

Counter-argument: TLTs are good for the game because they give newer players the chance to win more than zero games in a tournament.

I don't care what your competitive players are running: if a new player rolls in with his T65s and everyone else is a SC-level player, they're gonna get destroyed. There's nothing inherently worse about getting destroyed by TLTs than by Soontir, regenerating Poe, Brobots, or whatever nonsense the rest of the tournament is playing. At least with TLTs the new player will probably get to kill one or two on his path to defeat.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Okay, that makes sense. Admittedly, I just don't know brobots lists very well. All I know is that it's two IG-88s and some junk. Sounds like it pretty much matches the anti-TLT theme, though: High damage output to beat the steady, persistent TLT death clock.

I'm hopeful, though, because even the FFG designers have acknowledged that TLT was stronger than they intended. Reigning it in will be a tough design problem to tackle, but FFG seem up to it. I mean, this isn't WizKids or anything.

I don't want to become the TLT Defender but they specifically said they were surprised how effective TLTs are in the hands of a skilled player. Not that it was stronger than intended.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

admanb posted:

Counter-argument: TLTs are good for the game because they give newer players the chance to win more than zero games in a tournament.

I don't care what your competitive players are running: if a new player rolls in with his T65s and everyone else is a SC-level player, they're gonna get destroyed. There's nothing inherently worse about getting destroyed by TLTs than by Soontir, regenerating Poe, Brobots, or whatever nonsense the rest of the tournament is playing. At least with TLTs the new player will probably get to kill one or two on his path to defeat.

Yeah, but it creates a negative player experience for the other person, which is one of the major complaints, I think.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

admanb posted:

Not many newer players are gonna buy two Most Wanted packs, two Y-Wing packs, and 2 K-Wing packs and dive right into tournaments, I'm guessing.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

alg posted:

I don't want to become the TLT Defender but they specifically said they were surprised how effective TLTs are in the hands of a skilled player. Not that it was stronger than intended.

That's a very good point. I kind of think that is the same thing, but you're right that those aren't automatically equivalent. *shrug*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

admanb posted:

At the same time I think "TLT spam all day erry day" is a bad way to teach new players good habits with regard to practically any other ship. So this hypothetical new player tries to experiment with something else, maybe some T70s or Interceptors or whatever, and gets wrecked because he can no longer slow roll around the board with overlapping fields of fire pinging everything to death, do you expect their reaction to be "oh man I've been such a fool this whole time, better get good" or "this sucks, I'm gonna go back to my old list"?

• Locked thread