Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what does "reward retroactively" mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I assume that you'll get back ones you lost in earlier patches via whatever that's talking about?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Papal Infallibility posted:

The biggest threat for DD1 is definitely bleed, with stress and the SH's ability to gently caress up your party alignment also being issues. My suggestions:
  • If you bring an Occultist you absolutely must bring anti-bleed trinkets at a minimum and/or a Plague Doctor if you're really paranoid or just want her amazing stun. There is an enemy who can apply a debuff that lowers bleed resistance which can make Occultist heals more likely to backfire and if the final boss decides that he belongs in the front two rows you might be stuck without a healer. A Vestal with Junia's Head and Sacred Scroll is a safer choice but you're sacrificing offensive power for reliability.
  • As scary as the priests are, the witches should be your immediate priority for stun and kill because their stress attacks are potent and they can reasonably be brought down during the first turn.
  • A party that can correct its own order isn't as useful as a party that can perform its role in as many positions as possible during the boss battle.
  • Hellion, MAA, BH and HM (if you are willing to go out of your way to boost his damage a bit) are all good choices for damage dealers.

I think I'm going Vestal/PD/Houndmaster/Hellion from this - lots of backline damage for the witches, as long as the Hellion doesn't get stuck in position 4 there shouldn't be any wasted turns on the Shuffling Horror, with the Ancestor's Musket Ball the Houndmaster should do some solid damage, and I can stress heal a bunch at camp (Therapy Dog, Revel with enough medicinal herbs to take the debuff off of everyone, Pray or Chant if necessary)

E: Even if the Hellion gets stuck in position 4, I can adrenaline rush to buff for the next shuffle's attack

E2: That party annihilated the shuffling horror, I had more trouble with the 3xPriest fight where the PD/Hellion both got hit with 24-26 damage The Finger crits on the same turn.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 11, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
That loving Finger.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The Antiquarian might be a little overpowered in the early game. The first few dungeons aren't that hard, and in a brand new game I have 18k gold at week, like, 3, after grabbing an Antiquarian in the first pool on Week 2.

I'm really enjoying the Musketeer re-skin.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
drat, I stopped playing on monday, I had no idea this update was coming out. I also kinda bought a blacksmith upgrade before turning it off, poo poo.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm really enjoying the Musketeer re-skin.

Where do you enter the code for the Musketeer? I've been trying to input it everywhere I can think of, and for the life of me I still haven't figured it out.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

what does "reward retroactively" mean

When they added the trophies, you didn't get them if you had already beat the bosses, so anyone who had cleared everything before the implementation of the DD had no way of ever getting them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

I just noticed heroes don't actually look straight towards the enemy :v:

Edit: It's from a community stream - the Musketeer (4th row) is the Backer-only reskin of the Arbalest. The Crusader-y... thing in the first rank is a custom class made by some modder.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

They can't as only fish have eyes in this game

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Unwise_Cashew posted:

Where do you enter the code for the Musketeer? I've been trying to input it everywhere I can think of, and for the life of me I still haven't figured it out.

Steam client.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

They can't as only fish have eyes in this game

The googly rear end eyes photoshops for this game were really good

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Heres a preview image of the new boss, working name is 'eye of horror'

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

The googly rear end eyes photoshops for this game were really good

??????

I'm having a hard time seeing why anyone would want such a mod.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Normal Adult Human posted:

Heres a preview image of the new boss, working name is 'eye of horror'

So it's not a fish boss.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ew

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

:perfect:

Truly the greatest use of googly nipples.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm horny.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Are some classes rarer than others? I'm 16 weeks in now with wagon size 4 and haven't seen an Abomination at all, and only one Grave Robber and Arbalest.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
:salute:

Node fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 12, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

fool_of_sound posted:

Are some classes rarer than others? I'm 16 weeks in now with wagon size 4 and haven't seen an Abomination at all, and only one Grave Robber and Arbalest.

That sounds absolutely crazy and is not my experience at all. I have too many grave robbers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ranter posted:

That sounds absolutely crazy and is not my experience at all. I have too many grave robbers.

This is impossible, as the Grave Robber is the hero of all battles and the best.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Night10194 posted:

This is impossible, as the Grave Robber is the hero of all battles and the best.

It's probably my 2nd least favorite class.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Grave Robbers are insanely sick

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ranter posted:

I've had a leper virtually every week, and periodically two of em.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I love GR, but gotta mix in some Hellion, Leper, MaA, PD, Vestal and Occultist. And a couple dogs. But GR outnumbers them all.

What I'm saying is, gently caress arbalest/crusader/highwayman*.

edit: haven't played the latest patch version of highwayman. Maybe he's not poo poo now?

fool_of_sound posted:

I've had a leper virtually every week, and periodically two of em.

Leper is awesome.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 12, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
As far as I'm aware, arrivals by way of the stagecoach are completely random. You're just having a run of bad luck.

On my completed file I didn't get a Man-at-Arms until like week 32 or something.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Highwayman is pretty good now, but somewhat ironically his gun builds didn't get buffed much at all so his melee build - which was previously so bad as to be useless - is now by far his strongest. Even if you're doing PBS -> DA switching you're probably better off taking Unparalleled Finesse over Clean Guns now for the better buff and to boost the power of the ripostes. Pistol Shot is still garbage without a mark, Tracking Shot is really hard to justify wasting a turn on, and Grapeshot Blast is still too weak to really be reliable AoE and would only find a slot if you need an AoE finisher.

He's also bulkier than the Grave Robber now with the HP buff. I'd say they're pretty even as-is. The HWM can do more consistent damage and isn't as tied to Crit spikes, but he can't get as much Crit as the Grave Robber and is more position-sensitive than she is. On the other hand, Duelist's Advance hits any slot and sets up riposte, so while it's noticeably weaker than Lunge it's very versatile at cleanup. PBS is arguably better than Shadow Fade as a way to escape the first slot. His camp skills are better, but her class trinkets are better.

They work pretty well together though. Put her in Slot 2 and him in Slot 3 and they can hit all sorts of ways depending on how and whether you want to move them. You can hit enemy slot 1 with Pick To The Face + Wicked Slice, slot 2 with Thrown Dagger + Wicked Slice, and if the Highwayman needs to hit the back he can Duelist's Advance without screwing up her attack options and the next turn she can Lunge.

EDIT: For reference, the average DPT of Wicked Slice is now better than non-Undead Smite and Wicked Hack, so he hits harder with his basic melee than Crusaders and Hellions and is beaten only by Abominations and Lepers. Pistol Shot does less damage now even with a Mark up, and only has 5% more Crit. PBS still does a good bit more damage of course, a little less than a Leper's default attack but considerably more accurate.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 12, 2016

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Arbalests are the only class I straight-up dislike using after the Highwayman buffs. Unless I'm doing the Swine Prince fight I'd rather just have a Houndmaster in virtually any situation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Highwayman was probably my favorite class that wasn't actually that great in previous builds of the game, so I'm looking forward to trying him out now that his viability's been increased.

Not fond of Jesters or Crusaders. Haven't tried the Antiquarian yet but my gut tells me I probably won't like her.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Bad Seafood posted:

The Highwayman was probably my favorite class that wasn't actually that great in previous builds of the game, so I'm looking forward to trying him out now that his viability's been increased.

Not fond of Jesters or Crusaders. Haven't tried the Antiquarian yet but my gut tells me I probably won't like her.

Crusaders are awesome, even against stuff that isn't unholy. Smite, Stun/Zealous Accusation, Battle Heal, Holy Lance lets them do something good all the time. Their Very Rare scroll is really good too.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

I love jesters on long runs and on ruins runs where I'm bringing a Leper and Crusader. Both classes really need the accuracy buff, and even if I fall into a shitstorm of stress, I'm one easy fight away from having things back under control.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Node posted:

Crusaders are awesome, even against stuff that isn't unholy. Smite, Stun/Zealous Accusation, Battle Heal, Holy Lance lets them do something good all the time. Their Very Rare scroll is really good too.
Yeah, Crusaders aren't bad, I just tend to have a lot less use for them given the sort of setups I tend to go with.

Jesters though, blah, don't like' em at all.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Holy poo poo, 43,000 gold on a Level 3 Long Run

Antiquarian is awesome

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
yeah when i run a jester it's usually with at least two of Leper/Abom/Hellion/Crusader because his buffs synergise with self-sufficient frontliners and his ability to deshuffle with Solo and Finale is strong with the more position dependent classes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I only used my Jester in the Warrens since everything there bleeds. Even so, a Houndmaster would probably be better in his place instead.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Any fight where you can stall indefinitely to recover with a Jester, you can do the same with a Houndmaster or Crusader, and they're a lot better at killing stuff so you don't get stressed.

I don't think they're bad but at the same time I have never said "Man, I should've brought a Jester."

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nakar posted:

Any fight where you can stall indefinitely to recover with a Jester, you can do the same with a Houndmaster or Crusader, and they're a lot better at killing stuff so you don't get stressed.

I don't think they're bad but at the same time I have never said "Man, I should've brought a Jester."

The jester lets me take straight damage trinkets on both the crusader and especially the leper. Without him, I have to give up a slot for +ACC trinkets. Also, his two slot bleed isn't terrible in the warrens and the weald.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I beat the game a little while ago - are the anti-Revelation torch trinkets really only for the 2nd DD for fighting the centaur guys and their eyeball buttholes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

A.o.D. posted:

The jester lets me take straight damage trinkets on both the crusader and especially the leper. Without him, I have to give up a slot for +ACC trinkets. Also, his two slot bleed isn't terrible in the warrens and the weald.
Giving up a character slot for a couple trinket slots doesn't strike me as a good trade at all. You could also get the same benefit from a Man-at-Arms, minus the +SPD from the Jester's buff, plus better camp skill buffs and a stun and a guard and better damage and more HP.

Jester bleeds need to be significantly stronger for their damage output to be good. It'd still be bad on a single turn burn basis but the better stacking might make them better in sustained fights, which also suits their buffs and debuffs. Or give them the Bleed chaser effect that already exists in the files on some of their other abilities, so they do +50% DMG to bleeding things.

Periodiko posted:

I beat the game a little while ago - are the anti-Revelation torch trinkets really only for the 2nd DD for fighting the centaur guys and their eyeball buttholes?
Yeah that's it, all they're for is Revelation and nothing else uses it.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 12, 2016