Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Works as advertised, just would nice if they could get the settlers in the armor would stick around to their assigned spot so I could have some settlement guards like on the Prydwen :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Magmarashi posted:

I hope, one day, people can learn how to get over that and move on.

Yeah I've never gotten the whole "this stupid thing I'm not interested in is too expensive" angle.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Deified Data posted:

Yeah I've never gotten the whole "this stupid thing I'm not interested in is too expensive" angle.

The danger is if they can turn a profit doing it, they may start releasing more and more useless, low price DLC instead of expansion-pack sized DLC or even straight up sequels. Since you can't control how much money idiots spend on overly expensive glitter, the only way to discourage this kind of behavior from designers/publishers is to kick up a shitstorm that threatens the company's image and therefore future sales.

And while it seems like a long time to keep this grudge going, remember that some of the featured paid mods were very similar, just cosmetic models added to the game for $3-5. So Bethesda still is thinking that those kind of additions are a good idea, and the people that didn't like where this was headed almost a decade ago get riled up again.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Well they haven't released paid DLC in the vein of horse armor since then, so it's sort of a baseless assumption you're making. However you feel about paid mods, that's not content Bethesda is creating. They may not make Shivering Isles-tier expansions anymore (ironically for Oblivion, the same game with the dreaded horse armor) but it's pretty clear they know what works and what doesn't when it comes to their particular brand of open-world games.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Remember all DLC is evil and they take away space from the true and honest expansion packs that were never crash grabs, honest.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I know they aren't the ones creating it, but they were the ones who chose those handful of mods to kick-off the paid-mods campaign. If they had soured on the idea of microtransaction cosmetic dlc they wouldn't have featured it in their all-star lineup.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I unironicly purchased and enjoyed Horse Armor. The steel really made KotN more fun to get into.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nevets posted:

I know they aren't the ones creating it, but they were the ones who chose those handful of mods to kick-off the paid-mods campaign. If they had soured on the idea of microtransaction cosmetic dlc they wouldn't have featured it in their all-star lineup.

I dunno, much like Horse Armor™ was a 'uhh lets try this' sort of attempt I can see the paid mods thing being an attempt as well. It exploded violently because everyone that had anything to do with pushing forward with paid mods was 100% out of touch, now hopefully they are in touch. Just like horse armor.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The Knights of the Thorn castle was the worst DLC for Oblivion anyway.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

I dunno, much like Horse Armor™ was a 'uhh lets try this' sort of attempt I can see the paid mods thing being an attempt as well. It exploded violently because everyone that had anything to do with pushing forward with paid mods was 100% out of touch, now hopefully they are in touch. Just like horse armor.

Nah - their repeated, adamant admissions that it was a failure and that they have no current plans to bring it back is pretty much proof positive that TESVI is going to be a collection of paid mods. Think critically. What else could it mean?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I really apologize if this has been brought up before but I'm using a totally clean install of FO4 with zero mods and MO won't launch the game. It just shows the small window that says the executable is locked while launched. I do see Fallout4.exe running in my Processes tab but nothing ever actually comes up and it's only using about 25,000K. What's kinda nuts is that it worked yesterday, once, but now I get nada but I didn't make any changes to anything. Any suggestions?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Nasgate posted:

The Knights of the Thorn castle was the worst DLC for Oblivion anyway.

Anything that lets me own a castle with secret rooms is good in my book.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Deified Data posted:

Nah - their repeated, adamant admissions that it was a failure and that they have no current plans to bring it back is pretty much proof positive that TESVI is going to be a collection of paid mods. Think critically. What else could it mean?

They are welcome to try it again but it's going to be exactly like it was before, a roaring fire internet campaign just slamming TESV over and over and over again. I can't wait to pirate user-created mods.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Letting people spend money to support mod creators really isn't a bad idea (and honestly it's a pretty good one given how much time and effort is spent to make some of the really good ones), but I really can't see a way to implement it without a shitstorm unless you make it an optional pay-what-you-want system. There's just too many people who get livid at the very concept of paying for a mod.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Honestly you can't say that Bethesda -forced- mod makers to pull their long-established free mods and turn them into pay-per-update scams. If not for scummy bullshit like that, it wouldn't have been half the garbage fire it was.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Did that happen? Got a link?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Letting people spend money to support mod creators really isn't a bad idea (and honestly it's a pretty good one given how much time and effort is spent to make some of the really good ones), but I really can't see a way to implement it without a shitstorm unless you make it an optional pay-what-you-want system. There's just too many people who get livid at the very concept of paying for a mod.

The nexus already lets you optionally donate to mod makers. Paid mods don't really create any options that weren't there before, and especially not with a system that ends up with 80% of the payments not even going to the modders.

flatluigi posted:

Did that happen? Got a link?

It did not happen

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Digirat posted:

The nexus already lets you optionally donate to mod makers. Paid mods don't really create any options that weren't there before, and especially not with a system that ends up with 80% of the payments not even going to the modders.

There's a small but significant difference between an optional donation and a pay-what-you-want system in that the latter's more likely to actually get people to spend the money.

Also I mentioned that the idea was good specifically because I had issues with the actual implementation both behind and in front of the scenes, not the least of which was the actual cut the modders got.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

flatluigi posted:

There's a small but significant difference between an optional donation and a pay-what-you-want system in that the latter's more likely to actually get people to spend the money.

Also I mentioned that the idea was good specifically because I had issues with the actual implementation both behind and in front of the scenes, not the least of which was the actual cut the modders got.

I have no idea how in the wild frontier of modding they could have open source yet charged mods. 90% of mods are no where near that professional level.

Maybe there could be a skyrim suit Best Of Cd. 10 bucks gets a polished copy of a bunch of mods like frostfell and SKYRE someone had polished for babies to install. Also an ENB. see now that is something I could see selling. It's got falskaar and Helgen Reborn. Everyone involved gets a dollar.

Civilization 4 did something like that and honestly it was very cool and good.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Digirat posted:

It did not happen

A good number of people pulled down all their 'free' mods and uploaded them to Steam Workshop with a price tag attached, it absolutely DID happen

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Borris posted:

I have no idea how in the wild frontier of modding they could have open source yet charged mods. 90% of mods are no where near that professional level.

They really loving weren't. See the below:

http://imgur.com/gallery/qFlFa

http://imgur.com/gallery/bqcla/

Magmarashi posted:

A good number of people pulled down all their 'free' mods and uploaded them to Steam Workshop with a price tag attached, it absolutely DID happen

But they weren't FORCED to, they just did because they were assholes.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

They really loving weren't. See the below:

http://imgur.com/gallery/qFlFa

http://imgur.com/gallery/bqcla/

But they weren't FORCED to, they just did because they were assholes.

..yes, That's what I said. You can't say that Bethesda forced them to act in the scumfuckest way possible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know, a lot of people are excited to see ports of FO3 and New Vegas mods to Fallout 4, but I'm actually looking forward to the reverse. I'd love to see some of the armors recreated for NV.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Will the GECK finally allow us to change the grenade/bash key to something else not linked together?

DoktorSandvich
May 15, 2011
Is there a good early version of Armorsmith Extended or another mod with that idea that didn't go arthmoor and add katana belts? I like the idea of wearing each piece of clothing with armor, but all the other nurses outfits and skull and crossbones poo poo I couldn't care less about.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy

DoktorSandvich posted:

Is there a good early version of Armorsmith Extended or another mod with that idea that didn't go arthmoor and add katana belts? I like the idea of wearing each piece of clothing with armor, but all the other nurses outfits and skull and crossbones poo poo I couldn't care less about.

Couldn't you just not wear the new ugly items?
You could grab Nifskope and open the meshes and remove the offending items from the models, and FO4Edit to delete any leveled lists that could have npcs wearing the new stuff too.

Jack Ketch fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 12, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Ketch posted:

You could grab Nifskope and open the meshes and remove the offending items from the models, and FO4Edit to delete any leveled lists that could have npcs wearing the new stuff too.

They aren't added to leveled lists, to my knowledge. They're just available to be crafted if you so desire. :shrug:

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Jack Ketch posted:

For me, the items aren't the problem. It's that he redid the entire armor system.

"Four, I completely redid the entire clothing modding system from scratch. There are now 5 different types of mods: Lining mods, outfit add-on
mods, headgear add-on mods, Glove mods, and eyewear mods. The categories of what mods are available for a specific item correspond with which of
these 5 categories are present on that item."

I don't want that poo poo. The items are whatever, I would just not build the AE Workbench or whatever. But I don't want a redone clothing mod system. And I don't trust the modder NOT to add more bloat.

Edit: And just to add on to my distrust of the mod/modder, the mod started to do "5 Things", and changed the clothing mod system to have 5 separate slots. Now the mod says it does "10 Things", and the description on the main page still says 5 slots, but the description for the file says 8 slots.

DoktorSandvich posted:

I'm gonna try out More Armor Slots. It seems to be just the basic idea.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/745/

Saints Crow fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 14, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

At some point I really really want to put together a modded oblivion install but all the tools for it are a lot more basic and it doesn't have full mod organizer support and it's just a pain in the rear end.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I just reinstalled the game and something is locking my frame rate to 30. I thought maybe it was shadowboost or enb boost but it wasn't either of those when I uninstalled them. Disabling every mod in mod organizer and it's still locked to 30. The game also feels really laggy. Not sure what's going on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dunno about you guys, but I've been using Armorsmith and I never had to deal with any of that poo poo. It's easily ignorable feature bloat, not "in your face conform or die" bloat.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Yeah Armorsmith is really easy to ignore the parts you don't care about.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byjcJTuU-zo

This looks pretty kick rear end. gently caress the haters.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Regarding writing logs to be found on an in-game computer terminal, does 90-125~ words sound about a good length? Thinking about the writing in many bad story mods, the custom books, notes, logs, and whatnot always struck me as being way too loving wordy for anyone to actually care about. The computer terminal in question will have a couple (3-5?) of these logs. They're a rough draft of a paper for the Massachusetts Historical Society, giving a brief history of a certain town.

Also, I modeled a meat tenderizer to be included as a weapon. Working on baking and whatnot now. Thanks a million for the recommendation to buy that blender tutorial. I've learned a lot from it and I'm only halfway through. Also turns out I think 3D Modeling is really fun!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a mod to manage settlements yet or is the old standby of putting different roles into different outfits still the go to?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

cheesetriangles posted:

Is there a mod to manage settlements yet or is the old standby of putting different roles into different outfits still the go to?

Still no GECK, so nothing needing scripts is in, besides some very minor F4SE stuff.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

LumberingTroll posted:

Still no GECK, so nothing needing scripts is in, besides some very minor F4SE stuff.

Didn't Bethesda say they were adding a management tool for them at some point but it never happened?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

cheesetriangles posted:

Didn't Bethesda say they were adding a management tool for them at some point but it never happened?

Not that I recall. They added a feature where you can look at a settler and see what they are assigned to, but you have to go to them in person.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Wrr posted:

Also, I modeled a meat tenderizer to be included as a weapon.

Is it comically huge?

Can it please be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
For terminal writing I'd say short and succinct is best. Don't be so short that "And then the mayor was shot and the town was bad." but as you said a lot of low quality writing is due to its length.

Mostly get it A) Proofread and B) Checked for being poo poo. A lot of mod writing is just BAD.

e: Also let's be honest, Bethesda's writing is garbage and it shouldn't be hard to do better.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 17, 2016

• Locked thread