Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Logicblade posted:

Don't talk to me about real names in Gundam.

I've been having fun coming up with anagrams for the different characters names as I watch though the series. I think my best so far is "Cheddar Seminar", tho "Ricks Bacon Limo" and "Slab Hankering" are high up there

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Slab Hankering could be an actual Gundam name. Cheddar Seminar isn't too far off.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Gundam anagrams sound loving amazing.

Cereal Uterus was just misguided, he did nothing wrong!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Logicblade posted:

Gundam anagrams sound loving amazing.

All swagger

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wish he'd stuck around more, but alas, he was too good for this world. How is Sleggar in The Origin, might I ask?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wish he'd stuck around more, but alas, he was too good for this world. How is Sleggar in The Origin, might I ask?

Pretty similar but he gets a bit more screentime which helps flesh him out a bit. Pretty much all of his major beats are identical though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lemon-Lime posted:

If you're going that way, "Kamille" isn't a real name, and Camille is unisex. :v:

I've never heard of a male Camille (though I do know Kamille is made up), but I'll take your word for it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Charles Aznavour.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hey, the next Thunderbolt episode is out on Friday. Neat.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Darth Walrus posted:

Hey, the next Thunderbolt episode is out on Friday. Neat.

yisssss. just watched the second episode yesterday.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I've got a couple of episodes of The 08th MS Team left to watch, and it might be my favourite Gundam series so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Big... Dog posted:

I've got a couple of episodes of The 08th MS Team left to watch, and it might be my favourite Gundam series so far.

A lot of people dislike the final episode so if you do you're not alone there.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of people dislike the final episode so if you do you're not alone there.

Bracing myself for that, then.

Might go for War in the Pocket next. Quite happily having a binge on Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Big... Dog posted:

Bracing myself for that, then.

Might go for War in the Pocket next. Quite happily having a binge on Gundam.

It's not like terrible and the second-to-last episode is pretty much an ending on its own, some people just find it kind of tacked on. I doubt it'd ruin the series for you or anything.

War in the Pocket is excellent overall so you're making good choices there!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Thunderbolt OVA production is going way too well and fast. I don't trust it.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Thunderbolt is the poo poo and I can't wait for Friday

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I hear the music every time I see it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Zv2cIE_oQ

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

God I love that track. At some point this week, I will get around to sperging about the Titans uniforms I swear!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tsob posted:

I've never heard of a male Camille (though I do know Kamille is made up), but I'll take your word for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Desmoulins

Though I only know about him because Kate Beaton drew some comics about Georges Danton.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There's also famous 19th-century french composer Camille Saint-Saëns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2wNAWBPFiI

It's a french name.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I rewatch Zeta gundam at least once every month.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A Big... Dog posted:

Everything after loving HOT SPRINGS ON MOUNT EVEREST WHAT THE loving WERE THEY THINKING is a bit of a downwards slope in quality barring the best grunt fight in franchise history. Skip the compilation movie miller's report as well, because it is literally just a clip show interspersed with some new footage that only creates bigger plot holes

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Arcsquad12 posted:

Everything after loving HOT SPRINGS ON MOUNT EVEREST WHAT THE loving WERE THEY THINKING is a bit of a downwards slope in quality barring the best grunt fight in franchise history. Skip the compilation movie miller's report as well, because it is literally just a clip show interspersed with some new footage that only creates bigger plot holes

Yeah, the last couple of episodes were kinda unremarkable, plot-wise. The last episode was pretty pointless too. Still, the first 2/3rds were amazing. Onward to War in the Pocket!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Gouf fight? I might be alone, but I think it was poo poo, simply because everyone in the 08th MS team had to be an idiot to enable it. Karen and Sanders stare at Norris while he stands on top of a burnt out building slowly surveying the battlefield for 20 seconds or more, with only one single bullet shot at him to show for it. A bullet he can lazily avoid without issue. Shiro fires two guns at him and then closes his eyes, hitting a building two streets away and all around Norris, but miraculously, not Norris himself. Sanders confronts him with no drawn weapons when he has Shiro as a shield, and despite Karen being there too, they simply stand there and stare at him like there's nothing more they can do (instead of say...circling him and forcing him out of cover). Norris wasn't even holding a gun at the time, he was reloading.

It's an incredibly bad fight in my opinion.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
finished unicorn and F91

I really liked Unicorn and think its the best written UC gundam I've watched so far. The characters all had believable motivations and the plot twist/mcguffin reveal worked well. It got me to like and empathize with a Ple clone which is a god drat achievement after watching ZZ. It was also nice to see that Bright's spine grew back after ZZ.

F91 looked beautiful but man was it rushed as gently caress. Like, Garzys Wing level rushed. I guess it was suppose to be a full series that got reworked into a movie? I still dont know what the plot was suppose to be but it did make me laugh harder then I have in a long time

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If only Unicorn hadn't ended the way it ended. It could have been so much better :(.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You can say a lot of things about Unicorn, but "well-written" really isn't one of them.

That last episode alone is the epitome of bad anime writing.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Frontals disintegration/ascension was silly, as was Banagher magically disabling all those suits but there was a conclusion to the action that wrapped up the story.

Bad anime writing is Judau surviving the showdown with Haman via gratuitous plot armor, finding out all his friends are alive and his sister didnt in fact have a rick dom fall on her, then peacing out to Jupiter

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 15, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'd rather have ZZ's ending than suffer through Victory Gundam's just depressing closure.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Am I remembering right that the director of 08th MS passed away in the middle of production or was that some random nonsense, because if so it would explain the dip in quality.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I feel like I should give F91 another shot for some goddamn reason. Is it streaming anywhere?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kuvo posted:

F91 looked beautiful but man was it rushed as gently caress. Like, Garzys Wing level rushed. I guess it was suppose to be a full series that got reworked into a movie? I still dont know what the plot was suppose to be but it did make me laugh harder then I have in a long time

It was supposed to be a full length series, was then sqaushed into an OVA, and then squashed into a movie.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The GIG posted:

Am I remembering right that the director of 08th MS passed away in the middle of production or was that some random nonsense, because if so it would explain the dip in quality.
Yes, that is correct, and also the reason the series' release schedule went from a regular one to a sporadic one spanning a few years after...episode 5, I think.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah I used to love the gouf custom fight but revisiting it as an adult made me realize that while it's prettily animated, it's absolutely terrible as a choreographed fight since it can't keep basic poo poo straight, everything is floaty and inconsistent in mass, visual continuity is hosed and etc.

It's a really badly done fight that's superficially impressive but substantively poor, and you can't even call it a grunt fight either since the antagonist is in a tuned up custom and the rest of the suits are gundams

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The real best grunt fight in 08th is that time an acguy pops out of a river and punches a gundams head off.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

only one is in a grunt suit but my favorite fight is the 5 second one between Heero and Zechs in ep 1 of Wing. He just gets him in a judo hold and bails. it's great.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

mr. stefan posted:

Yeah I used to love the gouf custom fight but revisiting it as an adult made me realize that while it's prettily animated, it's absolutely terrible as a choreographed fight since it can't keep basic poo poo straight, everything is floaty and inconsistent in mass, visual continuity is hosed and etc.

It's a really badly done fight that's superficially impressive but substantively poor, and you can't even call it a grunt fight either since the antagonist is in a tuned up custom and the rest of the suits are gundams

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

So just out of curiosity, what would you say are particularly solid Gundam fights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What are some notably good gundam grunt fights