Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The 81/85s are all identical except for cases. Well actually the Kerry King one has another preamp pot IIRC.

DiMarzios at least are different outputs and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Shugojin posted:

The 81/85s are all identical except for cases. Well actually the Kerry King one has another preamp pot IIRC.

I guess if I ever got rock star famous I would let my sound engineers and guitar techs sort it all out, I'd just say "I want a crunchy warm tone thats sweet in all the hot zones but not to overly mellow" and then before they could ask me what I meant I'd rip a shredding solo and do drugs and bang some playboy centerfolds (I would talk playboy into having naked babes again)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Shugojin posted:

Actually the 81 has a bit more treble and high-mids emphasis whereas the 85 is slightly hotter and has a more low-mids emphasis. They both come in identical housing but the EMG logo is slightly differently colored depending on the pickup. Basically the 81 sounds somewhere between a single coil and a humbucker while the 85 sounds more like a regular humbucker. Both pickups have a bit more clarity than passive pickups, but in a compressed, hi-fi, slightly clinical kind of way. If you know what you're doing you can kind of dial out the clinical nature of the sound and turn it into just simply a very clear, hear-all-the-notes-in-the-chord-even-with-super-high-gain kind of tone but it's easy to slip into sterile adult contemporary too if you're not careful.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 9, 2016

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Every 81/85 needs to have 18v to get rid of that "on-off" volume knob effect. People always complain about them being super compressed, which is why people use them for metal, this kinda helps that out.

http://www.instructables.com/id/EMG-18-Volt-Mod/

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GreatGreen posted:

Actually the 81 has a bit more treble and high-mids emphasis whereas the 85 is slightly hotter and has a more low-mids emphasis. They both come in identical housing but the EMG logo is slightly differently colored depending on the pickup. Basically the 81 sounds somewhere between a single coil and a humbucker while the 85 sounds more like a regular humbucker. Both pickups have a bit more clarity than passive pickups, but in a compressed, hi-fi, slightly clinical kind of way. If you know what you're doing you can kind of dial out the clinical nature of the sound and turn it into just simply a very clear, hear-all-the-notes-in-the-chord-even-with-super-high-gain kind of tone but it's easy to slip into sterile adult contemporary too if you're not careful.

I meant the various signature sets which are all the same 81 and 85 you can get separately, just with different pot setups so the zakk wylde one has the stuff to wire a les paul pot setup, the kerry king one has the additional preamp on a push pull, etc. I did not mean to say that the 81 and 85 are the same pickup, they aren't. Different magnets, probably different windings, and EMG almost certainly sets the onboard preamp differently.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's pretty cool, he gave me a set of Vai's strings and pick that Vai used during one of his shows. I think he did the same with a Dweezil set of strings too, I have no clue where either of those are though. Really cool dude and hasn't even given me a price as to what he wants for any of my upgrades he's done on my guitar.

Chrpno posted:

You'd think that something called the "Humbucker from HELL" would be called that because it's AWESOME and sounds KICKASS, but nope, it's called that because it's painfully trebly and will slice your head off with its top end, all at PAF output level. Even the DiMarzio page is non-committal, they're like "ehh give it a go if you want".

Yeah, I think I'll get them installed in my Epiphone LP because that thing's pick-ups are rear end and hey, these other ones are going to be free so gently caress it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

woodch posted:

You linked the ebay auction, and NOT the included youtube of the AMAZING GLOWING VIOLIN IN ACTION?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4exQHsQW9s
Shameful.

Vaporwave violin. Perfect.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrLhLoAfhNE

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

A guitar so fine one must wear white gloves when displaying it. D:

Puella
Oct 31, 2013

The meaning of life is The Sims.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyYNFrO0No

i love this song. who else?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

unlawfulsoup posted:

A guitar so fine one must wear white gloves when displaying it. D:

DON'T TOUCH IT.

DON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

I see that and raise you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0DrXyzlHM8

Olivil posted:

DON'T TOUCH IT.

DON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT.

Thinking about it too strongly saps the tone.

Puella
Oct 31, 2013

The meaning of life is The Sims.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I see that and raise you

is that authentic footage?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Puella posted:

is that authentic footage?

Of course. :colbert:

Hurdy gurdy is a pretty cool instrument when it isn't being electrified.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Is there a scientific term for that thing where the more a performer is into it, the less you dig it?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

The knobs in particular

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Pondex posted:

Is there a scientific term for that thing where the more a performer is into it, the less you dig it?

Malkmus syndrome

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pondex posted:

inverse johnny demarco axiom

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Pondex posted:

Yeah, it looks like there's a hole in the bottom where his dilz goes, and that's what makes him make those faces.

It's disconcerting. But everyone makes those faces when they're really into it, so...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Red Dragon up there looks like it's melted slightly in a hot car. Or like a four year old drew it and someone put the design into production. It sags.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
I guess Egyptian customs scribbled some moon speak on Bryan Addams old Martin D-18

Anybody know what this says or means? Is it worth going to war over?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

reallivedinosaur posted:

I guess Egyptian customs scribbled some moon speak on Bryan Addams old Martin D-18

Anybody know what this says or means? Is it worth going to war over?

I think it says "I loved heartbreaker"

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Is there a scientific term for thinking something is going to be bad before you watch it, and then it is just so much worse than you imagined?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

kjetting posted:

Is there a scientific term for thinking something is going to be bad before you watch it, and then it is just so much worse than you imagined?

Yeah, it's The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit: WGBS Channel 4 - Your local news leader >

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So one of my strings broke and I won't be able to get another set until tomorrow, I know you're not supposed to leave a guitar unstrung for too long due to the truss rod but will one string make a difference?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

s.i.r.e. posted:

So one of my strings broke and I won't be able to get another set until tomorrow, I know you're not supposed to leave a guitar unstrung for too long due to the truss rod but will one string make a difference?

your tone will be forever ruined if you even look at a string funny

it's too late, just burn it and buy a new one

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

s.i.r.e. posted:

You can leave a modern solid body electric guitar unstrung for 30 years and not have a problem getting it to play again.

A lot of this old man "orange peel in the case" handed down wisdom is really from the days when a guitar neck was just a dried out and carved tree branch, and not a fairly highly engineered laminated piece of wood reinforced with steel and/or graphite etc.

Accoustics and hollow bodies and vintage stuff, treat with more care, but walk into any pawn shop and all those beat up guitars with no strings and missing tuning pegs and poo poo all still have pretty straight necks.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1R4NH3Q7ww

The revenge of Miku Stomp Part V: The Slashening.

Ok so it seems like someone took the original audio of this clip and ran it through the pedal before editing it back together but it's still funny.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol it's fuckin Marge Fieri

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm the totally empty room at 0:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-sHcTRUVko

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Empty rooms at sound check aren't the worst thing in the world.

And the dude can shred. And he's actually got a really great sound. Dang.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, for various reasons, I use an mp3 player to listen to music at work (and not my phone). I've always been pretty pleased with the quality of the device I use (and the $70 I paid for it new, unlike a loving ipod), so I was dismayed to learn that not only was the company in question not producing them anymore, they'd stopped producing consumer-grade hardware entirely.

What they are doing, however, is producing for the audiophile market. It's every bit as hilarious as one might think it is.

This is a four grand mp3 player. But wait, there's more. Click through to the product description for some amazing bullshit about how its copper shell is amazing at providing electrical shielding, and how it's not a device...it's an INSTRUMENT.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

http://shop.iriverinc.com/astell-kern/astell-kern-ak-ripper.html
$350 for an external CD-ROM drive. Which apparently can only be used with this $350 chunk of plastic.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

which is a charging cradle with XLR outputs----one for the left channel and one for the right. Which...uh. Are they aware of how XLR works?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
iRiver used to make incredible HDD based mp3 players, 80GB for roughly half the price of a brand new, 4GB ipod and you could install Rockbox on them so you could play/record 24bit lossless codecs. Mic in and Line level 3.5mm jacks aren't ideal but it was incredible at the time and somehow the built in platter based HDD still works after nearly 15 years though the battery only lasts 30 minutes now instead of 9 hours from back when I was in college.

Audiophile, copper plated mp3 players anythings are loving clownshoes though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Allen Wren posted:

which is a charging cradle with XLR outputs----one for the left channel and one for the right. Which...uh. Are they aware of how XLR works?

Uh yeah? Are you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have no idea why I thought what I thought at that time. Carry on.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Copper - you'll never be gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we3zKwInIac

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Allen Wren posted:

I have no idea why I thought what I thought at that time. Carry on.

You're not 100% wrong, in some cases an unbalanced stereo signal is run over a single XLR connection. It's just rather uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My favorite Shellac song, hands down.

KozmoNaut posted:

You're not 100% wrong, in some cases an unbalanced stereo signal is run over a single XLR connection. It's just rather uncommon.

I knew that, but this was more a "it's five am and I've been up for an ungodly amount of time" blunder.

• Locked thread