Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

darealkooky posted:

the equivalent of the huge armies slamming into eachother with no thought that bgh maps let people make is messing around with easy to use and/or flashy looking moves and playing in a bonus mode where the rules are relaxed/changed

games like mortal kombat, guilty gear and marvel 3 all have flashy as heck moves and a (at least initially) low input barrier to throw out effective moves. SF5 gief's super looks like a goddamn normal throw with some camera angles

these games also have modes like test your luck, M.O.M and heroes and heralds which add all sorts of wacky modifiers to matches that make them less about technical skill and more about Strategy, in the sense that johnny Q casual feels really smart & accomplished for picking the right loadout or literally winning with his characters arms tied behind their back by doing jump kicks the entire game

meanwhile SF5 has nothing, and it's only planned big mode is story mode which is unconfirmed if it even has gameplay or if it's just a movie

I thought about it some more and Smash is basically what I'm imagining. Being able to jump right in the game as a noob chile and mash pikachu's lightning is like building endless carriers

Still not sure about a fg comp stomp. Also, it just occurred to me that I'm thinking about casual multiplayer modes from rts, the other dead genre lol

Maybe it's hat crates instead 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Actually I was thinking of comp stomps. What would fg comp stomp lobbies look like? Answer this, and you will save fighting games, pomp

I agree partly with the above, but somehow my mind turns immediately towards some sort of Final Fight or Streets of Rage.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

lamentable dustman posted:

Speaking of colors, thanks whoever suggested getting the trainer, now my Bison gots some sweet boots. Hopefully I don't get banned :ohdear:

There is a much easier solution to survival, make them all one match and get your million Fight Money in like an hour.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

They have a story mode with character specific ending and some fights for every character. its basically arcade mode. actually its literally arcade mode

you'd have to have brain damage to consider that "story mode" as anything worthwhile besides a cheap way to get some fight points and poo poo. I don't know what they were thinking with that.

Survival mode is really bad. yes I'd like to waste 30 minutes doing 50 to 100 battles with the offchance the AI suddenly does desk combo and flattens that effort in a second. all for just 2 or 3 colors, god save us.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Bloodly posted:

I agree partly with the above, but somehow my mind turns immediately towards some sort of Final Fight or Streets of Rage.

street fighter 2 was actually a final fight sequel at first

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Okay what the hell is BGH, because all I can think of is Big Game Hunter from Hearthstone and I'm pretty sure that's not what you're talking about

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The name's correct: 'Big Game Hunters', but it's the Starcraft map, as I recall.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

inthesto posted:

Okay what the hell is BGH, because all I can think of is Big Game Hunter from Hearthstone and I'm pretty sure that's not what you're talking about

The name is correct, although the reference is to a map that was originally from Starcraft (I think) where each base has an obscene amount of resources and a trivially easy-to-defend chokepoint. Players would commonly create lobbies to team up on Big Game Hunters, turtle up, and then obliterate AI opponents with powerful units.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

novaSphere posted:

The name is correct, although the reference is to a map that was originally from Starcraft (I think) where each base has an obscene amount of resources and a trivially easy-to-defend chokepoint. Players would commonly create lobbies to team up on Big Game Hunters, turtle up, and then obliterate AI opponents with powerful units.

you forgot the traditional ending of some guy betraying everyone and attempting to win against stacked odds vs scrubs

also something that should happen in the final fight mode in sf6, imo

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

basically it was sc for people who were bad at competitive sc and couldn't handle losing

before warcraft 3 and dota came around to basically fill that same niche

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Smirking_Serpent posted:

That's good to hear. Is there much crossover between SF and Tekken players?

Aris seems to like SFV a lot and hes pretty hardcore tekken.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Alex's model looks pretty accurate and normal to me

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Oh yeah, then just add dramatic battle vs AI with a survival-style gauntlet with power-ups and all that

The framework is mostly there, and I bet people would eat it up

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Also, dramatic battle owns in general because it always has great tool-assisted nonsense

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i dont get the point of mashing in sf because it doesnt even look cool, in games with lots of unique chains/target combos sure but when youre just pushing whatever buttons in sf it just looks like huntingtons disease

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NecroMonster posted:

before warcraft 3 and dota came around to basically fill that same niche

But they also saved you an adderall addiction

Comp sc blows

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I haven't played a Tekken since 3, but Tekken Force mode was something I spent a lot of time with and remember having fun. They should do that and not dramatic battle because dramatic battle was dumb and bad.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

A.o.D. posted:

Which one won't put malware on my machine or try to charge me money for it?

I got the 1.01 +15 TRAINER off of gamecopyworld, probably no viruses https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/6b1c933c71e6beb055b0eba6682ff7fa5d3c8190b597bb0dcdec1d6e3056e62d/analysis/1457714523/

It has nice slowdown feature which works will with Frametrapped ( http://frametrapped.com/#hbv ) so you can see the hit/hurt boxes in game

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

novaSphere posted:

Yeah. It came to mind because I remember RTS games had similar issues with tons of people being attracted by the campaign and tales of korean pros and then would play some 1v1 and get wrekt over and over and then noped the gently caress off to another game. Some people huddled together for warmth in bgh maps where they didn't have to study build orders, were almost certainly only playing with other casuals, and/or teaming up with people against an AI who can't message them after. But then Dota came and yeah..

Also, I know nobody cares about people who don't like losing and their fee fees, but if you think there is any merit to the flow state psychology stuff then I think it's reasonable to conclude that it's the outliers in the population that will enjoy or persevere trhough losing for many hours.

The thing is, I don't think a lot of people here care about those gamers because they won't be 1v1 opponents anyways, but they probably help bankroll the games, sort of like google's ads letting them design self-driving propellor beanies etc.

Tekken Force was awesome when I was a babby gamer and a multiplayer version of that with crates that gave you aesthetic poo poo seems like a good idea

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like someone translated that Famitsu article and found some new Alex info:

quote:

Alex's Special Moves

Flash Chop: Alex performs a splendid chop. After the Heavy version, it's possible to combo into his throw attack "Power Drop".

Air Knee Smash: A very strong special move where Alex jumps up into the air with a flying knee. If he hits his opponent, he grabs his opponent and drops them down.

Power Bomb: A move where Alex grabs his opponent and slams them into the ground. It's very powerful, so let's make good use of this whenever it's an up-close fight.

Head Crush: Alex does a small jump to close distance, then grabs his opponent and delivers a hearty headbutt! This move delivers extremely high stun to the opponent!

chop into suplex still in?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

this is an interesting development

https://twitter.com/beas_tv/status/708340925320138752

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Just give stomp projectile invul and hes a real sf5 character

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Just give stomp projectile invul and hes a real sf5 character

He doesn't have stomp anymore

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Spiral DDT returns :circlefap:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

inthesto posted:

Spiral DDT returns :circlefap:

Uhh no it doesn't... where are you getting this

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Jmcrofts posted:

Uhh no it doesn't... where are you getting this

I jumped the gun and stopped reading when I saw "small jump and grab"

Well, it's spiral DDT in spirit

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's basically a reskinned version of Birdie's chain dive grab except with the look of a stungun headbutt

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

inthesto posted:

I jumped the gun and stopped reading when I saw "small jump and grab"

Well, it's spiral DDT in spirit

Sounds like it's literally just the super from 3s but in special move form. I'm guessing it'll be good for ticks kind of like gief's running bear grab, or maybe good for baiting throw whiffs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Daigo needs to clean that cats goopy eyes. Poor sleepy kitty

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Weak

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
When you really think about it, stun gun is just super ddt anyway

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm looking forward to playing (against) burly Laura.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Microwaves Mom posted:

Aris seems to like SFV a lot and hes pretty hardcore tekken.

Tekken players can usually play 2D games reasonably well but not the other way around.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Dias posted:

I'm looking forward to playing (against) burly Laura.

Birdie 2.0

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

Looks like someone translated that Famitsu article and found some new Alex info
My excitement for Alex plummeted without his charge moves.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fellblade posted:

Birdie 2.0

I don't know how you mean this, but all this does is make me so excited.

Because Birdie is fun as gently caress and I'm still surprised by how hard I turned around on him from first thoughts.

Fellblade posted:

Big normals, specials (well, v-skill) that move him across the screen with armor, jump across screen into command grab, regular command grab.

Birdie with Guard Crush!

:flashfap:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 11, 2016

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

I don't know how you mean this, but all this does is make me so excited.

Because Birdie is fun as gently caress and I'm still surprised by how hard I turned around on him from first thoughts.

Big normals, specials (well, v-skill) that move him across the screen with armor, jump across screen into command grab, regular command grab.

Birdie with Guard Crush!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

inthesto posted:

When you really think about it, stun gun is just super ddt anyway

Except it hits crouchers

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
And can be avoided by dashing forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

AnonSpore posted:

And can be avoided by dashing forward

Or doing absolutely anything.

Or absolutely nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1JXcgiURAA