Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm willing to bet part of Suicide Squad will be informing the audience about how some of these characters became villains because of their circumstances instead of by choice. The only one admitting to loving crime for the sake of crime being the pasty white, green haired fella.

Even he is explicitly a lower class street pharmacist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

It's also because no one saw it, and there's very little indication that any subsequent films are going to be anything like it. (Zach Snyder is basically determining the whole tone of this universe)

People (me) brought up the Nolan trilogy because it was conspicuously absent from Boob Marley's Rotten Tomatoes "Man of Steel Sucks" Chart. There's obviously plenty of crappy DC movies to dunk on.

Brother Entropy posted:

boy i have some good news for you; they're filming a wonder woman movie right now and it's gonna come out before marvel releases a woman-led film despite having like, 6 years of a head start

Yeah this to me is the most salient point. Props to Marvel for taking a risk in launching a shared universe full steam ahead. Even then they scrapped the Hulk pretty quick and used Iron Man 2 as the bridge between the start of the MCU and their other movies. But it's been 8 years since they started the MCU and it's going to be 2 more years until they have a movie with a woman's name in the title, and another year before an entirely woman-led film.

Equeen posted:

Electra?

Probably means Marvel as a film studio, not a Marvel comics property.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

This is a really stupid point to draw hairs over.

When you get down to it, ALL super heroes are criminals. What makes them heroes is that they're saving the world, which the Suicide Squad are doing.

Also DC is the only company that has a history of TRYING to make female super hero movies, even if they've never turned out...good.

Marvel never has.

No, it really isn't. The major criticism of black-lead roles in films is that they can only be cast as criminals, soldiers, or celebrities (almost exclusively rap or sports stars). Suicide Squad continues the trend and while it's better than no representation it still is continuing tha trend. That isn't 'drawing hairs,' it's an ongoing criticism of Hollywood. It's similar to how an Asian lead is almost exclusively being cast as a martial artist. It's better than no representation at all but still pigeonholing.

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm willing to bet part of Suicide Squad will be informing the audience about how some of these characters became villains because of their circumstances instead of by choice. The only one admitting to loving crime for the sake of crime being the pasty white, green haired fella.

Which is also a good thing and should be praised but doesn't really change the fact it's the norm. It is fine to both praise them for actually having diversity and pointing out their diversity still includes things like a Japanese woman with a katana named Katana.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 11, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

Electra?

Yeah, as said above- and it's still ridiculous that out of all of the studios that have had Marvel properties, Elektra is the only attempt.

DC has tried in the past. They've been trying. And we're going to get Wonder Woman years before any female led Marvel film.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Burkion posted:

Yeah, as said above- and it's still ridiculous that out of all of the studios that have had Marvel properties, Elektra is the only attempt.

DC has tried in the past. They've been trying. And we're going to get Wonder Woman years before any female led Marvel film.

Marvel does have Jessica Jones and Agent Carter, though. Also Agents of SHIELD, which has a lot of strong female characters. Yeah, they're not blockbuster movies, but they're out there.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Marvel does have Jessica Jones and Agent Carter, though. Also Agents of SHIELD, which has a lot of strong female characters. Yeah, they're not blockbuster movies, but they're out there.

AoS also has Mack, and he's the prettiest damsel in distress on TV.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phylodox posted:

And DC has Super Girl.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Yeah that's totally fair actually.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

computer parts posted:

And DC has Super Girl.

And iZombie, which is probably the best comic book tv show that's not on Netflix.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

That's a bit disingenuous. Going "they tried in the past" and ignoring that Marvel has also headlined stuff like Jessica Jones or Agent Carter is a bit weird. (Likewise DC has Supergirl, although that's not the 'shared universe' bullshit but I don't give a drat.)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DC has Catwoman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNlmRId2FVQ

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

(Likewise DC has Supergirl, although that's not the 'shared universe' bullshit but I don't give a drat.)

It's part of a shared unimultiverse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also has Steel! Remember Steel guys?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

That's a bit disingenuous. Going "they tried in the past" and ignoring that Marvel has also headlined stuff like Jessica Jones or Agent Carter is a bit weird. (Likewise DC has Supergirl, although that's not the 'shared universe' bullshit but I don't give a drat.)

I was ignoring that because they're not MOVIES. You want to talk about TV shows we're talk about TV shows. You want to talk about media far and wide we'll talk about that too.

TV shows DC stomps Marvel's face in, both with their recent shows and their Wonder Woman series from the 70s. And Birds of Prey I guess.

Wonder Woman also got her own solo animated movie, which Marvel has not done with their female heroes.

Super Girl is also connected to the Flash universe thanks to Flash being able to cross through realities- including crossing into the movies if they ever want to pull the trigger on that plot point. So in theory yes, Supergirl is part of the DC connected universe bullshit.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
This is the dumbest argument ever seen on these forums. Both studios have an awful track record on gender equality. Awful. But-but-Wonder Woman! Getting a movie after just six Superman movies and 37 Batman movies!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Burkion posted:

TV shows DC stomps Marvel's face in [...] with their recent shows

Just gonna have to very strongly, yet politely disagree with this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

this is partly due to being based on a medium that is only now, in 2016, starting to actually branch out beyond appealing to white dudes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox posted:

You realize I'm not speaking about QUALITY yes?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Phylodox posted:

They're both bad

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's like, 12 Batman movies not counting serials.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Can we get some more charts

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

those shows stomped face generally because they were better

now, i don't know what it is because those shows are poo poo

but goin well you see dc's television made more money when they were producting BtAS but it's not about quaaaaaaaality makes me lmao at you

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Burkion posted:

Well, in the context of the conversation I assumed you were talking about EQUALITY. Other than Supergirl, I really don't think the DC shows do a better job of writing strong female characters than Marvel.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Screams.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I'm six years late on this but I finally watched Watchmen and I loved it. Probably my favorite comic book movie. Thematically dense, interesting characters, great setting and tone. Extremely my poo poo. What's the general consensus on it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I admit to liking the smartassed Supergirl they have going on there, especially given historically what a non-character she is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I admit to liking the smartassed Supergirl they have going on there, especially given historically what a non-character she is.

i liked when she was an angel and also some kinda protoplasmic clone thing

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

those shows stomped face generally because they were better

now, i don't know what it is because those shows are poo poo

but goin well you see dc's television made more money when they were producting BtAS but it's not about quaaaaaaaality makes me lmao at you

What are you talking about?

And I'm talking about TV series lead by women made by DC.

iZombie, SuperGirl, Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

That's more than Marvel has done. Literally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I'm six years late on this but I finally watched Watchmen and I loved it. Probably my favorite comic book movie. Thematically dense, interesting characters, great setting and tone. Extremely my poo poo. What's the general consensus on it?

It's mixed. Generally a lot of the criticism of it relies on the fact that the comic adaptation is well respected and some people dislike the film either because it changed things and change is bad or because it changed things and that muddles or alters the themes. The people who like it generally praise the direction/costuming/ect.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

What are you talking about?

And I'm talking about TV series lead by women made by DC.

iZombie, SuperGirl, Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

That's more than Marvel has done. Literally.

dc also has more female leading characters as a whole despite using them like poo poo

i use leading in quotes because izombie was izombie and birds of prey is literally lady counterparts who got popular enough to get their own thing

also, you're dumb

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think the character is elevated by how good Melissa Benoist is in the role. Without her to sell the emotional core of the character, I could see it falling into the CW-esque melodrama that the DC shows court a bit too closely.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Phylodox posted:

I think the character is elevated by how good Melissa Benoist is in the role. Without her to sell the emotional core of the character, I could see it falling into the CW-esque melodrama that the DC shows court a bit too closely.

I mean, they're on the CW aren't they

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe it's because she gets to shoulder the series as something other than some dude's love interest, but she's having a good time with the role AND not trying to Buffy it out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

People really wanted to see the giant squid on screen.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Equeen posted:

People shipping Batman and Superman has been a thing for decades, though.

midnighter and apollo are literally batman and superman, to the point where midnighter's power is being able to plan for everything, and gay, with each other, in a gay way, sexually

they adopted a baby at one point

Luminous Obscurity posted:

tbh I'm willing to cut DC some slack on being so tentative with making a Wonder Woman film specifically because she has a ton of symbolic value to people as a feminist icon and if you gently caress up a WW movie its not like making a bad Batman or Superman where people just shrug and wait for the next one, a bad WW film would be a loving landmine of bad press.

still no excuse for not doing other woman-led films tho

also, dc is bad at doing wonder woman, just in general

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

People really wanted to see the giant squid on screen.

i'd probably have finished watching it if i knew the giant squid would show up

poo poo's goofy in the best way possible

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
wonder woman is the third part of the trilogy, shouts dc nervously, hoping you don't notice the seventy years they spent treating her like a second rate character at best

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
we believe in equality dc protests despite their target audience being white dudes in their 40s

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Slugworth posted:

This is the dumbest argument ever seen on these forums. Both studios have an awful track record on gender equality. Awful. But-but-Wonder Woman! Getting a movie after just six Superman movies and 37 Batman movies!

I pre-nominate Gal Godot for Glamour's Woman of the Year 2017.

I never saw Watchmen but when my friend wanted to watch it at his house it was like 4 hours long and it had a lengthy cartoon part in the middle. We vetoed it - that has to be an extended cut I assume? I thought it was just a normal-length movie before that and I didn't know it switched styles like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I loved Watchmen for, if nothing else, the traumatized looks on the faces of the children leaving the theatre afterwards.

• Locked thread