Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
We should be building transit everywhere, both in cities and between. The two types of systems support each other; having good transit available for medium and long distance trips means it's easier to completely give up owning a car and just rely on transit locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Good for packed cities, but where would one put a rail from say Riverside to Anaheim, kinda hosed there as both are spread out and god help you if you need to ride a bike to get from the station to the office. What I'm saying is the 91 blows, the OC blows, I can't afford to move close to work and I'm going to put my face through the steering wheel with every passing day. Not to mention my performance suffers at work because of it.
I need a solution, but it will never happen.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 10, 2016

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I can't wait to flip Fresno the double-bird as I cruise by on my way to San Fran for the weekend

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Good for packed cities, but where would one put a rail from say Riverside to Anaheim, kinda hosed there as both are spread out and god help you if you need to ride a bike to get from the station to the office.
Right, this is the support going the other way: longer distance transit is more useful if there's good local transit (or walking/biking) at your destination.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm actually thinking about moving to Munich, and one thing that is awesome about Germany is how well-developed the rail systems are. There's a medium-sized city, Augsburg (~275k people) about 35 miles away from Munich, measuring from central train stations. That's about 50% further than going from Concord North to Embarcadero, which takes ~50 minutes on BART, while Augsburg to Munich is about half an hour. It's really sad how bad transit is in California.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cicero posted:

I'm actually thinking about moving to Munich, and one thing that is awesome about Germany is how well-developed the rail systems are. There's a medium-sized city, Augsburg (~275k people) about 35 miles away from Munich, measuring from central train stations. That's about 50% further than going from Concord North to Embarcadero, which takes ~50 minutes on BART, while Augsburg to Munich is about half an hour. It's really sad how bad transit is in California.
Have you been before? Germany is awesome so congrats. I loved when I was Berlin and would move there in an instant if I could get work. I'm not sure how the recent mass immigration problems have worked out for them but I can't imagine it's made moving moving to Europe any easier and it is an absolute bitch even in my field when I was looking several years ago.

I dunno, I have mixed feelings on that but I also have mixed feelings on drinking law age too. I think it probably should be vetoed.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
As someone who rides Amtrak from Sac to Oak 50+ times a year at "slower than 1865 speeds" I still say fix that first :colbert:

And also the Stockton to San Jose (Altamont Corridor "Express" lol) train that also runs at 1865 speeds.

Both take 2 hrs to go less than 90 miles. :argh: And then you get to wait for various busses/BART/whatever to actually get to an office. A lot of the issues are due to Amtrak having to share rails with Union Pacific. The stretch from Martinez to Richmond is really slow and old and I'm not kidding when I say 1865.

L.A. can do their own poo poo from downtown and out to the 'burbs, same with SD and then eventually when President Xenu is elected - tie them all together for SFO-LA-SD rides.

I still believe the entire "start in Fresno" thing was a long term troll to eventually destroy it. I believe I read the original Swiss/Spanish or whoever consultants analyzed the original specs and said "run this motherfucker right down Interstate 5". That was immediately shot down by every politician in the Harris Ranch/MegaAgCorp's pockets as well as every city along the Hwy 99 corridor that wanted the maintenance yards/facility contracts.

I've ridden trains in Europe and even in post Franco-era Spain (where they had different sized tracks from France and they'd lift the thing up and throw new wheels on) that are better than our current crappy California rails. :corsair:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 10, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
But if it followed I-5 then it'd have to run through Los Banos and that would just be embarrassing because they'll never change their name

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Xaris posted:

Have you been before? Germany is awesome so congrats. I loved when I was Berlin and would move there in an instant if I could get work. I'm not sure how the recent mass immigration problems have worked out for them but I can't imagine it's made moving moving to Europe any easier and it is an absolute bitch even in my field when I was looking several years ago.
Yeah I visited last summer (most surprising find: surfing in the middle of Munich!), was pretty awesome. Luckily I'd be doing an internal transfer so the job-getting isn't a big problem, although I will be sad at the salary hit I'll have to take.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 10, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Hahaha. In reality, the primary opponents to the HSR project have been the people out in the exurbs and central valley ag owners. People in the populous parts of the state tend to love it, again, because of the untenable housing situation in those places.

Hahahaha. You should see the signs up and down the Peninsula (they're gone right now) opposing high-speed rail. No trains in my backyard.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

As someone who rides Amtrak from Sac to Oak 50+ times a year at "slower than 1865 speeds" I still say fix that first :colbert:

And also the Stockton to San Jose (Altamont Corridor "Express" lol) train that also runs at 1865 speeds.

Both take 2 hrs to go less than 90 miles. :argh: And then you get to wait for various busses/BART/whatever to actually get to an office. A lot of the issues are due to Amtrak having to share rails with Union Pacific. The stretch from Martinez to Richmond is really slow and old and I'm not kidding when I say 1865.

I've done emeryville to turlock and modesto several times, and yeah it's slow as hell. One time on the way there my train was delayed for an hour because it hit a car. Then on the way back it was delayed because it hit a person. Then it was delayed again to let a freight train pass.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Good for packed cities, but where would one put a rail from say Riverside to Anaheim, kinda hosed there as both are spread out and god help you if you need to ride a bike to get from the station to the office. What I'm saying is the 91 blows, the OC blows, I can't afford to move close to work and I'm going to put my face through the steering wheel with every passing day. Not to mention my performance suffers at work because of it.
I need a solution, but it will never happen.

There are two different metrolink lines that go from Riverside to Anaheim you dork, I ride them every day.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

FCKGW posted:

There are two different metrolink lines that go from Riverside to Anaheim you dork, I ride them every day.

The issue is more "what do you do after you get there." I mean, not that there's any reason for a tourist to go to Riverside ever or anywhere in Anaheim outside of Disneyland/Honda Center/Angel Stadium.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

What a complete waste of time and resources. It's not like kids get cigarettes from adults anyways.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Cigarettes are awful and any law that makes them even a tiny bit harder for people to get is a good law.

Hopefully next is a law that calls for the summary execution of tobacco executives.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

FCKGW posted:

I've looked at them and they don't work for me.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Two new measures in the Assembly recently:

Uber and others are furious about a bill that would let 1099s unionize.

A proposed constitutional amendment would end Daylight Saving Time in California.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Why is the CA Assembly passing good laws? Have they forgotten who they are?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

redscare posted:

Why is the CA Assembly passing good laws? Have they forgotten who they are?

Another hot take from quality poster redscare

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I've looked at them and they don't work for me.

Well then I'm sorry that a train doesn't go to your office door. I agree that we need more mass transit but it does work for a lot of people.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The :devil: is in the DSTails:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I want DST to be permanent. Eliminate daylight losing time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Dammit, I've saved more daylight than anyone!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We need rollover daytime, I'm sick of this use it or lose it bullshit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If you're going to repeal DST it basically has to be nationwide.

Try going to the Grand Canyon in Summer for some hilarious clock changes.

e:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We should get rid of time zones completely and just have the entire world on the same 24-hour clock. Then you get up, start work, get off work, and go to bed at whatever time is suitable for your region and climate. Time zones and daylight savings time are all just totally stupid ways of arbitrarily adjusting people's schedules to meaningless numbers on a dial.

There's no special reason why a company has to open for business at, say, 8 AM instead of 18:00... as long as it's opening in the morning.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
New bill: California switches to UTC!

Watch The Simpsons on FOX! Sundays at 8/7 Central/0400 Monday California!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

We should get rid of time zones completely and just have the entire world on the same 24-hour clock. Then you get up, start work, get off work, and go to bed at whatever time is suitable for your region and climate. Time zones and daylight savings time are all just totally stupid ways of arbitrarily adjusting people's schedules to meaningless numbers on a dial.

There's no special reason why a company has to open for business at, say, 8 AM instead of 18:00... as long as it's opening in the morning.

:agreed:

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!
I think Daylight Savings time should be eliminated. (Or preferably made permanent.) That said:

Leperflesh posted:

Sacrificing our language, history, and culture in the name of global business expediency sounds like a pretty lovely deal to me.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

Swatch already did this, but for some reason it didn't catch on.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Leperflesh posted:

It's a hell of a lot easier if I can assume that 9am here is equivalent to 9am across the world rather than look up their local business hours. Frontloading the work with a timezone is easy and convenient to understand. It's also a lot easier on travelers since you can look at any local clock and know roughly what people will be doing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Daylight savings time is the good one though, more light after work. This is backwards!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AngryBooch posted:

Daylight savings time is the good one though, more light after work. This is backwards!
Seriously. Make it permanent, don't end it.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

TACD posted:

Swatch already did this, but for some reason it didn't catch on.

China currently does this and it just leads to using their own local time unofficially when the clock gets too far off.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

This sounds more like a problem with your work hours than with the clocks.

Plenty of people manage starting work at 6 or 7 just fine.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 11, 2016

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Especially if security isn't too onorous, being able to arrive and park at a train station ten minutes before your train is scheduled to depart, and then walk off at the other end and be fifteen minutes from work or a convention or a sports event or something....

This is a bit late, but I think that HSR security will inevitably reach TSA-esque proportions. If something like a French-style train terror attack happens, the people will demand it. And given enough time something will happen.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

computer parts posted:

If you're going to repeal DST it basically has to be nationwide.
Nah. I grew up in Indiana, in an area that didn't do Daylight Savings Time, and it worked just fine. We knew that half the year Ohio was on the same time as us, and half the year they were an hour ahead. The hour-ahead period was great because it meant that Ohio TV stations broadcast network shows earlier than Indiana TV stations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dave47 posted:

Sacrificing our language, history, and culture in the name of global business expediency sounds like a pretty lovely deal to me.

Huh?

Abraham Lincoln and English and our love for baseball, all destroyed by the loss of the time zone system. I'd never have anticipated such a horrifying result! Thanks for the warning, buddy.

Dirk the Average posted:

It's a hell of a lot easier if I can assume that 9am here is equivalent to 9am across the world rather than look up their local business hours. Frontloading the work with a timezone is easy and convenient to understand. It's also a lot easier on travelers since you can look at any local clock and know roughly what people will be doing.

I don't think it's actually that much easier. Instead you have to look up what time zone your colleague is in, and then use a converter or do a caculation to figure out whether or not he's awake right now. Actually you have to do that calculation anyway. And actually when you travel if it's not, like, midday on a weekday you may have to look up business hours anyway, because different regions have different standards for when businesses and locations are open.

The point anyway is just to get people to recognize that "I wake up at 7 and go to bed at 11 and I work from 9 to 5:30" are arbitrary numbers. What matters is when the sun comes up and when it goes down, and how your work and nonwork and sleep cycle are set by that cycle. Daylight savings time is stupid because businesses could just adjust their opening hours during the summer if they wanted to, or maybe opt not to. Same with schools, etc.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 11, 2016

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Think about all the songs that reference times! Like "9 to 5" and "Gin and Juice"! Gone forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think it's actually that much easier. Instead you have to look up what time zone your colleague is in, and then use a converter or do a caculation to figure out whether or not he's awake right now. Actually you have to do that calculation anyway. And actually when you travel if it's not, like, midday on a weekday you may have to look up business hours anyway, because different regions have different standards for when businesses and locations are open.

The point anyway is just to get people to recognize that "I wake up at 7 and go to bed at 11 and I work from 9 to 5:30" are arbitrary numbers. What matters is when the sun comes up and when it goes down, and how your work and nonwork and sleep cycle are set by that cycle. Daylight savings time is stupid because businesses could just adjust their opening hours during the summer if they wanted to, or maybe opt not to. Same with schools, etc.

Checking time zones is really easy now - you can just Google "time in X" where X is a city, state, country, etc. Outlook will also do the work for you if your contact has location data set up properly.

I know what you mean about the numbers being arbitrary, but the nice thing about time zones is that it keeps the daily schedule consistent. 11am here is similar to 11am halfway across the planet, and I can be reasonably sure that most businesses are operating or will be operating at that time. It's much more informative for me to know the current local time than to have to backtrack to figure out what their equivalent global time would be to any given local time that I experience.

My point is that as long as we have arbitrary time, it's nice for that time to be arbitrary and consistent rather than a bit of a tangled mess.