Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
MCU films don't actually resemble silver age comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Except comic books CAN be serious affairs. They don't have to be silly. They can aspire to be more than just that.

I'm not saying the DC films are more comic booky either because that's stupid. They're both based on comic book super heroes and feature guys with ADJECTIVE MAN names running around punching people.

Also do you have some kind of brain problem where I have to explicitly explain every single thing I say, otherwise you get confused? Or are you just an idiot so I can make fun of you?

Because yes, the suit Batman is wearing in the DCU is, in fact, an Adam West style one. As in, it's a skin tight body suit with a cape and cowl. The only difference is how it looks and the materials used to make it. No other movie Batman EXCEPT Adam West has worn one like this.

That doesn't make it Adam West style you dumbshit

Also the problem is that DC seems to be labor inf under the delusion that comic books and their movies have to be serious and not lighthearted fun ever, as evidence I point you at the last fifteen years of DC, particularly the last five years of comics

Don't front with the guy who does comics 24/7 son you only make yourself look bad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HorseRenoir posted:

MCU films don't actually resemble silver age comics

They come closer to embracing the sense of fun than anything DC has ever made hth

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

They come closer to embracing the sense of fun than anything DC has ever made hth

brave and the bold motherfucker

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That doesn't make it Adam West style you dumbshit

Also the problem is that DC seems to be labor inf under the delusion that comic books and their movies have to be serious and not lighthearted fun ever, as evidence I point you at the last fifteen years of DC, particularly the last five years of comics

Don't front with the guy who does comics 24/7 son you only make yourself look bad

How doesn't it make it Adam West style? That's the classic Batman suit.

The rest of that is just driveling nonsense because Marvel hasn't been any better in the comics front either. Both lines have a majority of lovely books with one or two stand outs if you're lucky.

And I don't give a poo poo how much time you waste on comics.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lol I mean if your point is that 2 is closer to 1000 than 1 is then yeah I suppose.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

brave and the bold motherfucker

Fine tag that isn't explicitly targeted at children onto the end of that

This is a recurring theme with DC ever since DKR

Which they're sucking off, again, with BvS, coincidentally

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

there's no such thing as a silver age comic that wasn't explicitly marketed towards children

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh right you're the dipshit who thinks they're ripping off the DKR with BvS despite everything looking like they're turning DKR on its head and using it to create a wholly new story.

Man that ball numbing argument was a WHILE ago I forgot.

See Mr Boods replacement troll, we can get by just fine knifefucking each other without really half assed trolling attempts!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

How doesn't it make it Adam West style? That's the classic Batman suit.

The rest of that is just driveling nonsense because Marvel hasn't been any better in the comics front either. Both lines have a majority of lovely books with one or two stand outs if you're lucky.

And I don't give a poo poo how much time you waste on comics.

Burkion do you understand that "Adam west style" refers to the specific visual look of that specfic costume and not just "skintight costume" in general

Because it does

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Comic books are not fun.

Iron Man is not a fun movie.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
The part where Tony murders insurgents was fun right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Comic books are not fun.

Iron Man is not a fun movie.

Oh I beg to differ mother fucker. I beg to differ.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Oh right you're the dipshit who thinks they're ripping off the DKR with BvS despite everything looking like they're turning DKR on its head and using it to create a wholly new story.

Man that ball numbing argument was a WHILE ago I forgot.

See Mr Boods replacement troll, we can get by just fine knifefucking each other without really half assed trolling attempts!

You're fuckin stupid if you don't look at a movie about batman wearing the armor from DKR and fighting Superman with shots from the trailer that were lifted directly from that scene in DKR and see them going "you know what was awesome? The fight in DKR"

Or does it not count if they aren't literally adapting the comic

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Comic books are not fun.

Comic Books are amazing!

Super hero comic books tend to be very samey though. There's a huge world of fantastic comics from all around the world made over the last 70 years that deserve to be read.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

there's no such thing as a silver age comic that wasn't explicitly marketed towards children

Go gently caress your self, you know exactly what I meant

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Iron Man is a dead-serious, moralistic movie about the consequences of fun.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

Comic Books are amazing!

Super hero comic books tend to be very samey though.

Both of these sentences are wrong

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Iron Man is a dead-serious, moralistic movie about the consequences of fun.

*chuckles softly* Allahu akbar.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion do you understand that "Adam west style" refers to the specific visual look of that specfic costume and not just "skintight costume" in general

Because it does

THINGS THEY HAVE IN COMMON

Skin tight gray body suit.

Black Bat Symbol On Chest

Yellow Belt

Black Cape Cowl, Boots and Gloves

Short Ears

THINGS THEY DO NOT HAVE IN COMMON

No Yellow On Chest BVS Suit

No Drawn Eyebrows BVS Suit

No Black Under Pants BVS Suit

So you know, I feel pretty drat safe in saying that that is, in fact, a Batman suit in the style of the Adam West suit for comparisons of Movie Batman Suits.

So why are they not directly comparable in such an easy manner?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

teagone posted:

I like Chili's chicken fingers every now and then because sometimes I wanna eat like a 10 year old.
Same, because there is no way to gently caress up making chicken strips unless you got a shadow committee telling you to change this or that every ten minutes or you have a chef who thinks cooking them for 4 hours is the proper way of doing things and is shocked to hear that he has to cut that down substantially

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
Namek turning that pilot's head into jelly is fun to me, personally.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Both of these sentences are wrong

...no?

Comics books are amazing and super hero comics have a sad tendency to be very repetitive and samey, despite the occasional really original one. Doesn't make them bad or anything.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

You're fuckin stupid if you don't look at a movie about batman wearing the armor from DKR and fighting Superman with shots from the trailer that were lifted directly from that scene in DKR and see them going "you know what was awesome? The fight in DKR"

That wasn't the argument and you know it.

They're taking stuff from DKR but flipping them. DKR is predicated on the idea that Batman is the Good Guy.

BVS is not.

This changes the context and the meaning.

But you are some one so pedantic that you can't acknowledge a simple short hand for saying that they went with a more comic book style Batman suit, and instead just resort to insults and running around in circles so you know whatever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

THINGS THEY HAVE IN COMMON

Skin tight gray body suit.

Black Bat Symbol On Chest

Yellow Belt

Black Cape Cowl, Boots and Gloves

Short Ears

THINGS THEY DO NOT HAVE IN COMMON

No Yellow On Chest BVS Suit

No Drawn Eyebrows BVS Suit

No Black Under Pants BVS Suit

So you know, I feel pretty drat safe in saying that that is, in fact, a Batman suit in the style of the Adam West suit for comparisons of Movie Batman Suits.

So why are they not directly comparable in such an easy manner?

You feel safe saying that because you're loving blind or autistic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Go gently caress your self, you know exactly what I meant

no i don't, you said the mcu has been the closest thing to silver age fun and once i pointed out a counter example you suddenly added 'that's not for kids' which is absurd because fun and light-hearted is basically synonymous with kid-friendly

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

That wasn't the argument and you know it.

They're taking stuff from DKR but flipping them. DKR is predicated on the idea that Batman is the Good Guy.

BVS is not.

This changes the context and the meaning.

But you are some one so pedantic that you can't acknowledge a simple short hand for saying that they went with a more comic book style Batman suit, and instead just resort to insults and running around in circles so you know whatever.

The thing I said is all I have ever been saying about this thing blowin DKR super hard so I have no idea what you're on about

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

no i don't, you said the mcu has been the closest thing to silver age fun and once i pointed out a counter example you suddenly added 'that's not for kids' which is absurd because fun and light-hearted is basically synonymous with kid-friendly

Then might I encourage you to learn English and then read literally anything about the business strategy of DC since the mid 80s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did this super quick and I'm sure it has a hosed up histogram or it's over contrasted whatever...but as a quick thing does this make the shot look better? Or at least a little more visually interesting than a boring grey sky over a boring grey location?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Subverting expectations through the use of iconic imagery? Zack Snyder is too much of a gormless idiot to ever attempt such a masterful deception.

You've clearly already made up your mind about what this movie is (grimdark and stupid) and who's directing it (idiot jock), so why even bother having a discussion here?

He's completely right though. BvS is subverting DKR by just flipping their position. Instead of Superman being a government stooge, ineffectively attempting to uphold the status quo, it's Batman. Batman is 100% unequivocally the villain in this story. Batman is the reactionary old dog snapping at the progress Superman represents. It completely changes the dynamic of the story.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Then might I encourage you to learn English and then read literally anything about the business strategy of DC since the mid 80s

what do the mid 80s have to do with the brave and the bold, a very silver age and fun thing that DC did?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Semper Fudge posted:

Subverting expectations through the use of iconic imagery? Zack Snyder is too much of a gormless idiot to ever attempt such a masterful deception.

You've clearly already made up your mind about what this movie is (grimdark and stupid) and who's directing it (idiot jock), so why even bother having a discussion here?

He's completely right though. BvS is subverting DKR by just flipping their position. Instead of Superman being a government stooge, ineffectively attempting to uphold the status quo, it's Batman. Batman is 100% unequivocally the villain in this story. Batman is the reactionary old dog snapping at the progress Superman represents. It completely changes the dynamic of the story.

I didn't say either of those things and I've never called Snyder a dumb jock so maybe you should not assume my arguments for me namaste

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Remember how the latest Captain America movie ended with him bloodied and repeatedly struck in the face with a metal fist, allowing himself to be beaten to death by a robot sporting the face of his dead best friend?

Good times.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Remember how the latest Captain America movie ended with him bloodied and repeatedly struck in the face with a metal fist, allowing himself to be beaten to death by a robot sporting the face of his dead best friend?

Good times.

Sometimes movies have dramatic moments.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CelticPredator posted:

I did this super quick and I'm sure it has a hosed up histogram or it's over contrasted whatever...but as a quick thing does this make the shot look better? Or at least a little more visually interesting than a boring grey sky over a boring grey location?

This is very Michael Bay and I mean that as a compliment to his visual style.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

Needs more neon window blinds.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: at the idea that Batfleck is Adam West inspired - holy poo poo.

That's either grade A trolling or a person who can't see for poo poo without thick eye glasses.

The only thing from Adam West - Batman. :lol:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

Sometimes movies have dramatic moments.

The entire movie is like that. Remember that fun scene where Steve's ex-crush has the alzheimers?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

You feel safe saying that because you're loving blind or autistic

STYLE

a distinctive appearance, typically determined by the principles according to which something is designed.

I'm sorry if me not saying they're not Literally The Same, Literally The Worst, is confusing you and your brain, but yes, they are in the same style.

They are the only two Movie Batman Costumes to look like this. Due to their simularities, you can see they draw from a similar source.

One is made of more modern, textured materials while intending to be more serious, while the other is more flat and comical, but on a design aesthetic they share quite a lot, and more than any other Batman suit seen in any movie outside of these two.

Now if you could please tell me why I am wrong instead of just mindlessly insulting me, I would appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The entire movie is like that. Remember that fun scene where Steve's ex-crush has the alzheimers?

I was gonna say Anthony Mackie, but then I remembered he ran like group therapy for veterans with PTSD.

• Locked thread