Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Like if youre not familiar with the comic thats cool - but now you know. So maybe put the brakes on your little temper tantrum.

BvS is insanely inspired by it - Batman wants to kick Supermans rear end for becoming a government stooge.

In the movie it's just because he hosed Metropolis but as we see at the end of MoS - Superman gives his participation to the army - just dont track him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LesterGroans posted:

Needs more neon window blinds.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

STYLE

a distinctive appearance, typically determined by the principles according to which something is designed.

I'm sorry if me not saying they're not Literally The Same, Literally The Worst, is confusing you and your brain, but yes, they are in the same style.

They are the only two Movie Batman Costumes to look like this. Due to their simularities, you can see they draw from a similar source.

One is made of more modern, textured materials while intending to be more serious, while the other is more flat and comical, but on a design aesthetic they share quite a lot, and more than any other Batman suit seen in any movie outside of these two.

Now if you could please tell me why I am wrong instead of just mindlessly insulting me, I would appreciate it.

I mean other than the fact that it actually looks identical to the DKR suit and it's only similarities with the west suit are things it shares with every batman costume? Nothing at all Burkion.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: at the idea that Batfleck is Adam West inspired - holy poo poo.

That's either grade A trolling or a person who can't see for poo poo without thick eye glasses.

The only thing from Adam West - Batman. :lol:

That's not the argument.

You have poor reading skills. I said the Bat suit in BVS was Like The Adam West one, which Literally The Worst took offense to for some reason. So I clarified that it was the same style of Batsuit and explained why I see it that way.

Obviously the ultimate reason why they are in the same kind of style is because they are both adaptations of Silver Age Batman and his look. DKR is more serious due to the story it is, and Adam West is even goofier than Silver Age Bats was due to the story IT was.

But they both share common ground in that fashion, hence why they resemble each other.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

awwwwww yeeeaaaahh

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LesterGroans posted:

I was gonna say Anthony Mackie, but then I remembered he ran like group therapy for veterans with PTSD.

Exactly. All these MCU movies (save for Cap 1) are about horribly depressed people who make jokes in order to deal with the fact that everything sucks and there's no hope.

"I got low. I didn't see an end, so I put a bullet in my mouth..."

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And then he smacks a flamboyant god around like a ragdoll.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

I mean other than the fact that it actually looks identical to the DKR suit and it's only similarities with the west suit are things it shares with every batman costume? Nothing at all Burkion.

Vintersorg posted:

Like if youre not familiar with the comic thats cool - but now you know. So maybe put the brakes on your little temper tantrum.

BvS is insanely inspired by it - Batman wants to kick Supermans rear end for becoming a government stooge.

In the movie it's just because he hosed Metropolis but as we see at the end of MoS - Superman gives his participation to the army - just dont track him.

Do neither of you actually read what I said?

I never said it was based on Adam West's suit. That's stupid.

I said it LOOKS like Adam West's suit, which is something I NEVER thought we'd get out of Batman in movie form again short of an actual comedy.

We no longer have Body Armor Batman that we've had since 89 in movie form and that's fantastic.

It's straight up a Comic Book Batman suit. Like Adam West.

I'm sorry if comparing the two because they're the only ones that are vaguely similar in the entire movie Batman line confuses you, I'll be sure to over explain everything I say from now on so that won't happen again.

Like this right here- BVS Suit does not look like ANY other MOVIE Batman suit except for Adam West.

The Serials don't count because those aren't movies. If they were movies, they'd be valid for comparison as well.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It doesn't look like the Adam West suit at all you dummy

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

And then he smacks a flamboyant god around like a ragdoll.

That's not hope. That's jokes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jokes are fun.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Burkion posted:

Do neither of you actually read what I said?

I never said it was based on Adam West's suit. That's stupid.

I said it LOOKS like Adam West's suit, which is something I NEVER thought we'd get out of Batman in movie form again short of an actual comedy.

We no longer have Body Armor Batman that we've had since 89 in movie form and that's fantastic.

It's straight up a Comic Book Batman suit. Like Adam West.

I'm sorry if comparing the two because they're the only ones that are vaguely similar in the entire movie Batman line confuses you, I'll be sure to over explain everything I say from now on so that won't happen again.

Like this right here- BVS Suit does not look like ANY other MOVIE Batman suit except for Adam West.

The Serials don't count because those aren't movies. If they were movies, they'd be valid for comparison as well.

Ok crazy man, haha.

E: I see what you mean but it's stupid.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

It doesn't look like the Adam West suit at all you dummy

I think it does.

How does it not? Beyond what I already pointed out? It's the same style of suit which is unique for the two of them in the movie form.

Vintersorg posted:

Ok crazy man, haha.

E: I see what you mean but it's stupid.

This entire conversation has been stupid so par the course.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

I think it does.

How does it not? Beyond what I already pointed out? It's the same style of suit which is unique for the two of them in the movie form.

It resembles a Batman suit and most of the things you linked as being similar are only similar in that many Batman designs share them. It is an explicit direct reference to the DKR costume and any similarities it has to Adam West are only in that both are Batman costumes. It doesn't actually look anything like Adam's West suit except in that it is a Batman suit.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I am expressing a simple distinction between hope in the face of crushing despair, and jokes that distract from crushing despair.

That's why one of the most fun superhero battles is the one between Faora and armyman Chris Meloni. "A good death is its own reward" vs, I don't know, making a reference to Galaga aboard your depressing clinical death fortress.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

It resembles a Batman suit and most of the things you linked as being similar are only similar in that many Batman designs share them. It is an explicit direct reference to the DKR costume and any similarities it has to Adam West are only in that both are Batman costumes. It doesn't actually look anything like Adam's West suit except in that it is a Batman suit.

Jesus Christ this again

Let me spell it out

In Reference To Movie Suits

As In The Suits The Movies Have Used

It Resembles The Adam West Batman Suit More Than Any Other Batman Suit

Because They Are Both Directly Based On Comic Book Suits

I Am Referring To This Strictly On Movie Looks Not On General Batman Looks

Otherwise The Movie Comments Would Be Unneeded And Unnecessary As They Are The Minority

We done with this now?

We done missing my point?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Burkion posted:

THINGS THEY HAVE IN COMMON

Skin tight gray body suit.

Black Bat Symbol On Chest

Yellow Belt

Black Cape Cowl, Boots and Gloves

Short Ears

THINGS THEY DO NOT HAVE IN COMMON

No Yellow On Chest BVS Suit

No Drawn Eyebrows BVS Suit

No Black Under Pants BVS Suit

So you know, I feel pretty drat safe in saying that that is, in fact, a Batman suit in the style of the Adam West suit for comparisons of Movie Batman Suits.

So why are they not directly comparable in such an easy manner?

It's sort of interesting that the boot seems to have the same upward cut in it that the West version does, as well as the cylinders on the belt itself. Incredibly minor things but I would be shocked if they interviewed a concept artist for this movie and they didn't mention referencing every single previous batman suit in order to come up with the look. They probably have a Cloony batsuit nod in there somewhere, have we seen a butt shot yet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Jesus Christ this again

Let me spell it out

In Reference To Movie Suits

As In The Suits The Movies Have Used

It Resembles The Adam West Batman Suit More Than Any Other Batman Suit

Because They Are Both Directly Based On Comic Book Suits

I Am Referring To This Strictly On Movie Looks Not On General Batman Looks

Otherwise The Movie Comments Would Be Unneeded And Unnecessary As They Are The Minority

We done with this now?

We done missing my point?

I understand your point. Your point is poorly thought out and makes no sense because the actual comparisons between the suits are so slim and barely existant that trying to compare it to the Adam West suit is stretching beyond the limit. They have only the most superficial similarities.

Like what you actually seem to be saying is "I'm glad this Batman has more cloth-like armor instead of military body armor" which had nothing to do with Adam West's suit.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Comic books don't exist in the comic book movie thread.

Just movies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Comic books don't exist in the comic book movie thread.

Just movies.

When talking about Comic Booky Movies

Gee I wonder why I'd only be referring to movies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Burkion posted:

When talking about Comic Booky Movies

Gee I wonder why I'd only be referring to movies.

Because entire conversations always go back to the comic books. Most recently stuff from Civil War.

You're strawmanning the gently caress outta this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain America 3: Blood Dragon looking good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Because entire conversations always go back to the comic books. Most recently stuff from Civil War.

You're strawmanning the gently caress outta this.

No I am not.

The ORIGINAL discussion that started this nonsense was that the DC movies were not comic booky.

So I pointed out that the Bat Suit was comic booky as gently caress, and that the only other Movie Batman Suit that looked like it was the Adam West Suit.

That's where all of this nonsense started.

From there I got a bunch of people who didn't understand what I said and Literally The Worst who doesn't think they look the same at all for some reason.

Now can this end? Or is there going to be more bullshit to go on the bullshit pile?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MonsieurChoc posted:

I hope Captain America calls someone a dickshitter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: at the idea that Batfleck is Adam West inspired - holy poo poo.

That's either grade A trolling or a person who can't see for poo poo without thick eye glasses.

The only thing from Adam West - Batman. :lol:

You're a fool of you don't think DKR itself want partially Adam West inspired.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

greatn posted:

It's the Kevin Bacon of superhero costumes because it mostly beefed up the 70's/80's version of the suit.

Which was a more serious take on the 60's camp.

Which was a camp version of the 40's-50's.

Which is the limits of men in spandex.

Which is the limits of costume design.

Which...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Does the Super Soldier Serum counts as a drug? Because winners don't use them.

Maybe this is the basis of conflict between Cap and former alcoholic Tony.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

greatn posted:

Nobody has said that, but the DKR suit is a much more direct and correct visual reference for BvS than Adam fuckin West and a dude gettin het up because the source material got brought up is lol as gently caress

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Exactly. All these MCU movies (save for Cap 1) are about horribly depressed people who make jokes in order to deal with the fact that everything sucks and there's no hope.

I love this. I think this is why I like these movies so much.

Like, I enjoy Marvel movies and DC movies but for different reasons, but I can't quite articulate what those reasons are. It certainly isn't that Marvel movies are more "fun" in the sense that they're less heavy. They're more fun in that they have more jokes and pop culture refs in them.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I did this super quick and I'm sure it has a hosed up histogram or it's over contrasted whatever...but as a quick thing does this make the shot look better? Or at least a little more visually interesting than a boring grey sky over a boring grey location?

I really prefer this look to be honest. I'm sure they choose dull backgrounds so that the coloured characters are more visible, but it still looks boring. I'm sure they could shoot around a few instances of colour.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's just saying Batman 66 and BvS are the only movie batsuits that actually look like the comics, and he's %100 right. (excluding animated/serial)

And they both look amazing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

There better be a good explanation as to why that confrontation takes place on a loving airport tarmac otherwise drat, what a boring loving backdrop. Doesn't help that it looks like it was shot with minimum effort/for efficiency reasons too.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I bet that they do regret writing this climactic battle on an airport tarmac not only because it's a boring location, but also because they got access to Spider-Man and it makes little sense to have him involved in a fight in a location with no tall buildings.

Unless of course there are a bunch of helicopters just off screen that we don't get to see.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

He's just saying Batman 66 and BvS are the only movie batsuits that actually look like the comics, and he's %100 right. (excluding animated/serial)

And they both look amazing.

Thank you.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

well why not posted:

I'm sure they choose dull backgrounds so that the coloured characters are more visible,

This might almost work as an explanation if the colorful superhero costumes were not also desaturated to hell and back.

(The marvel movies have bad and lazy color grading)

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"I got low. I didn't see an end, so I put a bullet in my mouth..."

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/707978757299003392

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do too. I'm having a blast.

Although, I think once Black Panther comes out, I might be drained. But hey. I'm ridin this train until it starts to smell! Woooo

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I did this super quick and I'm sure it has a hosed up histogram or it's over contrasted whatever...but as a quick thing does this make the shot look better? Or at least a little more visually interesting than a boring grey sky over a boring grey location?

That sky looks like it came straight from the Flash Gordon movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

If only any Marvel movie was as willing to embrace camp on a level even approaching Flash Gordon's.

• Locked thread