Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Kimsemus posted:

Yep. It won't take you long to get the 180k silver to buy a farm cat from the stable master, do that ASAP. The donkey is worthless.

You have to be obsessive about doing side quests. The trick to trading is twofold:

1) Having the longest direct connection from a city to the farthest city possible (Ideally you want above 20% distance bonus)

2) Producing your own packs, which is where the real money is.

The reason you need to quest is that reasonably, you're going to need about 150 Contribution Points to do this properly because you're going to need multiple workshops, housing for your workers, supporting beer production, and access to the various raw material nodes. You can scale up or down to a degree but to me, if you're going to do something, do it all the way.

There isn't a right or wrong pack to produce, some people do sunflowers and other produce, some do logs, some do minerals. You are just going to want sufficient laborers set up in your "home" city to produce said packs efficiently, then assemble them as far away from your desto as possible then move them yourself via the wagon. Once you have this kind of operation cranking you'll be making millions of silver a day.

In turn, try to invest this silver into getting a rank 1 house, then converting the profits into more materials for your business, then mass gold bars, which you then use your rank 1 house access to invest at the various banks. It really depends on how involved you want to be, I spend more time doing this than anything else, my goal is to be able to buy as much as I can thus mitigating my need for physically grinding items.

Cool, thanks for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anyone encountered jumping white bars on their world map? I plan to seriously bother with it tomorrow, but I wonder if anyone has solved poo poo like this on their own machine.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

If I really hate riding around on a cart, I can just use the Transport feature to move my poo poo to the destination node, then use a cart from storage to the trade manager to execute the final sale, right?

Or does physically moving the goods yourself all the way from source to destination increase their value more?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Minsky posted:

If I really hate riding around on a cart, I can just use the Transport feature to move my poo poo to the destination node, then use a cart from storage to the trade manager to execute the final sale, right?

Or does physically moving the goods yourself all the way from source to destination increase their value more?

The game knows where a pack is produced, so producing them far away and moving them yourself is way more profitable.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Someone made a chart of the Trade Distance Bonus for all the towns in the game.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Kimsemus posted:

The game knows where a pack is produced, so producing them far away and moving them yourself is way more profitable.

I agree that the game remembers the location where a pack was produced, and that selling that pack far away is significantly more profitable, but I don't know if it for sure follows from that that the method you choose for moving the pack far away on a cart yourself, instead of the automated move feature makes a difference in the price rather than just the distance moved.

One part of me kind of hopes that it does since otherwise carting things around yourself is largely pointless (since the transport costs seem very cheap). Another part of me hopes it doesn't because carting things around yourself is stupid and boring.

I can just test this really easily myself I guess. I was just wondering if it was already known.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Bede posted:

I had this same problem a week ago. Deleting/moving the bdo folder in my documents fixed it.

i've uninstalled BDO entirely and removed said folder, but nothing was fixed.

i tracerouted to their servers and the connection dies completely shortly after arriving in san jose. I haven't dced yet after the maintenance, so we'll see come primetime if the issue arises again

regardless, I'm assuming they don't understand whats going on and/or are severely understaffed, as this was their response to my connection issue:

quote:

GM Felaxus Today at 08:59
Hello LEWTT,

Thank you for contacting the Black Desert Online Customer Support team. You are receiving this message in response to your ticket regarding the Serendia Server Placement issues during head start.

We have brought the Name Swap Registration feature live which you can access via your accounts page.
This service is currently setup for all victims of the Serendia server placement issue experienced during head start.

Unfortunately, due to technical limitations we're not able to offer the name swap page to all users, but we are actively seeking ways to make name changes available in the future.

This will allow you to register two characters on the same region that you would like to swap names between. Registration closes on the 23rd.
At the end of this month on 30/03/2016 the names of the two registered characters will be swapped.

This is in an effort to combat a multitude of issues, two of which we have detailed below.

Spelt character name wrong // Want to change character name:
Create a new character with the correct spelling or name and register them for the swap. This will in effect rename your original character.
Reserved character name is on the wrong server:
Create a new character on the correct region to continue playing now . Register the two characters to bring your reserved name to the server your new character is on.
We are still looking into compensation for victims of the Serendia incident further and will have more information soon.
A few things to note about this system before you proceed.

Registration closes on 23/03/16 at 08:00 UTC.
Everyone receives one coupon to use this system. Once you have registered your two characters you will be locked out from using this feature again.
These coupons will not be re-issued. You will only get one chance to choose the correct characters to register.
Do not delete a character registered for the name swap as this will cause your request to fail. As above, we wont re-issue a failed coupon.
Unfortunately we are unable to transfer characters across regions.
This will only swap the names between characters and all character related information such as items and experience will remain untouched.
Again this is an ongoing process of compensation and we thank you for your patience and understanding.
Click >>here<< to access the Name Swap Registration page.

If you believe you have received this message in error, or it does not address your question fully, please respond to this ticket.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered up to this point and thank you for your patience and understanding while we continue working on this situation.

Kind regards,
GM Felaxus
English Games Master

Our knowledge base is regularly updated with current issues. It will answer some of the most common questions and save you having to wait for a response from a Games Master.

You can access the knowledge base by following the link below.
https://blackdesert.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

You can also follow our social media pages for news and announcements.
https://www.facebook.com/BlackDesertOnline/ https://twitter.com/BDO_news&#8203;

edit: issue still here, guess i'm hosed

lewtt fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 12, 2016

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Minsky posted:

I agree that the game remembers the location where a pack was produced, and that selling that pack far away is significantly more profitable, but I don't know if it for sure follows from that that the method you choose for moving the pack far away on a cart yourself, instead of the automated move feature makes a difference in the price rather than just the distance moved.

One part of me kind of hopes that it does since otherwise carting things around yourself is largely pointless (since the transport costs seem very cheap). Another part of me hopes it doesn't because carting things around yourself is stupid and boring.

I can just test this really easily myself I guess. I was just wondering if it was already known.

I've just moved a Calpheon wood crate produced in Trent to Velia via NPC transport, took it to the trader and sold it with a 32% distance bonus having carried it a grand total of about 100 feet myself.

Confirming you DO NOT have to transport your poo poo all the way across the map yourself. Pay NPCs to do it for you.

Rivv
Jul 13, 2005
Everything I do is motivated by stupidity

Wilekat posted:

I've just moved a Calpheon wood crate produced in Trent to Velia via NPC transport, took it to the trader and sold it with a 32% distance bonus having carried it a grand total of about 100 feet myself.

Confirming you DO NOT have to transport your poo poo all the way across the map yourself. Pay NPCs to do it for you.

Thank you for this, I plan on really starting to trade tonight for the first time and you just saved me from testing this myself.

prinnylaharl
Feb 10, 2013

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I'm only a level 36 tamer so I still don't really understand how the black energy thing works? Do I still need to unlock something to get these "ultimate" abilities or am I a dumb?

Each class has 2 abilities (some maybe more) that consume black spirit energy ; Upward Claw (S+RMB,LSV+L2) will consume 100% energy to add around 6 splash hits that are incredibly powerful, Heilang : Roaring will consume 200%, but that requires other players to give energy to you I believe.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Wilekat posted:

This sounds ideal, any chance you can make a bit of a guide for this? I plan on starting trading tonight/tomorrow after I finish my fishing boat.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Why is every how too video for this game like 60 minutes long, and it's always some long winded oval office who can't just say "To setup a supply line simply talk to this guy this guy and this guy and you will be able to trade between these three towns."

Is it just that people who are narcissistic enough to shoot video of them playing video game mans are simply awful? Probably.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

Why is every how too video for this game like 60 minutes long, and it's always some long winded oval office who can't just say "To setup a supply line simply talk to this guy this guy and this guy and you will be able to trade between these three towns."

Is it just that people who are narcissistic enough to shoot video of them playing video game mans are simply awful? Probably.

Because it is loving YouTube. Video can be very useful for some things, but it definitely is not my preferred method of consuming information. Especially this kind. It takes way too long.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Wilekat posted:

That is a big relief.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

crazystray posted:

This sounds ideal, any chance you can make a bit of a guide for this? I plan on starting trading tonight/tomorrow after I finish my fishing boat.

I was about to post that using Transport has been extremely buggy for me lately but I just found there's a button at the bottom of the map that shows your current transported items and lets you refresh everything on the map so you can actually collect your poo poo. :toot:

Anyway, to transport stuff you can just open the map, click the city that holds your stuff, and click Transport. You DON'T have to be there or talk to any npc to do this.

Then you pick your destination and transport method (usually freight wagon) and shove in everything you want to transfer. If the city isn't connected via nodes, it costs triple.

Some small cities can't transport to every location -- Keplan for example can only transport to Epheria Port and Calpheon, even though I have Velia, Heidel and Olvia connected. Calpheon can transport to anywhere.

Then you send it off and wait for it to arrive. Should take about 10 minutes? But probably longer depending on distance. (I haven't actually been able to keep track because it's buggy sometimes.) You can tell when it's finished because there will be a little blue gift icon above the destination city on the map. If poo poo goes missing click the carriage button at the bottom of the map and hit refresh. Then just hit Transport again and receive your goodies.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I was about to post that using Transport has been extremely buggy for me lately but I just found there's a button at the bottom of the map that shows your current transported items and lets you refresh everything on the map so you can actually collect your poo poo. :toot:

Thanks for pointing that out. I've had a bunch of poo poo go missing lately.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Anyway, to transport stuff you can just open the map, click the city that holds your stuff, and click Transport. You DON'T have to be there or talk to any npc to do this.

Then you pick your destination and transport method (usually freight wagon) and shove in everything you want to transfer. If the city isn't connected via nodes, it costs triple.

Some small cities can't transport to every location -- Keplan for example can only transport to Epheria Port and Calpheon, even though I have Velia, Heidel and Olvia connected. Calpheon can transport to anywhere.

Then you send it off and wait for it to arrive. Should take about 10 minutes? But probably longer depending on distance. (I haven't actually been able to keep track because it's buggy sometimes.) You can tell when it's finished because there will be a little blue gift icon above the destination city on the map. If poo poo goes missing click the carriage button at the bottom of the map and hit refresh. Then just hit Transport again and receive your goodies.

Keep in mind you have to have enough silver in the city you're transporting from remotely to cover the fees.

Luxily
Aug 11, 2012

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Gerdalti posted:

Thanks for pointing that out. I've had a bunch of poo poo go missing lately.

A lot of people have been reporting weird stuff like this since this morning's maintenance finished. I remember similar reports after the prior maintenance as well.

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free
Will I be able to transfer to the goon server in the future or does server transfer not exist?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/49y1ew/is_a_conversation_solver_something_people_would/

some guy is working on a program that will tell you what to do to solve conversations

lmao

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Kimsemus posted:

Keep in mind you have to have enough silver in the city you're transporting from remotely to cover the fees.

Yeah but you can just run there once and dump 100k into its storage and you should be good for a while.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

I am also curious about the cost to make those boxes, isn't it like 3 x planks which are 100 timber each, and workers can't do it all so you need to burn a bunch of energy to make them as well? I wonder what the market value of those planks would be.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.
Also, here is a yellow worker guide someone made:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wPWv8QR8EqV8h9adx9CK_32JQXpKxgfJKbG1c-NNX4A/edit#gid=416405304

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

crazystray posted:

I am also curious about the cost to make those boxes, isn't it like 3 x planks which are 100 timber each, and workers can't do it all so you need to burn a bunch of energy to make them as well? I wonder what the market value of those planks would be.

Depends on the type of wood. Birch plywood are ~22k each on the AH because they're used to make fishing boats. It's 5 Birch, Fir and Cedar plywood to make a Calpheon wood crate which has a base trade price of 50k, and you'll probably get 75k? if you add in distance/scarcity bonuses. Probably better to just sell the plywood in that case.

Other plywoods aren't worth as much and it might be worth it to make crates if you can work the math out. But probably not.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Kimsemus got me excited with that "farm cat for 180k silver" post. Then I realized he meant cart.

:negative:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

This early in the game, the plywood is probably worth a ton more than the crates. At low processing the energy investment to make one crate is absolutely huge, too.

One crate = 5 of each ply (and one blackstone powder), which are 10 planks each, which are 5 timber each.

At base yields, this equates to 55 crafts per wood type. 50 for the planks, 5 for the ply.

165 energy for one crate is an insane investment for 85k silver.

Numbers become significantly more favourable as your processing skill increases, obviously.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This game is a treasure.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

RedTonic posted:

Kimsemus got me excited with that "farm cat for 180k silver" post. Then I realized he meant cart.

:negative:

I sowwy. :(

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Eonwe posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/49y1ew/is_a_conversation_solver_something_people_would/

some guy is working on a program that will tell you what to do to solve conversations

lmao

This game seems to draw the kind of people who want to automate all fun out of things.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Grondoth posted:

This game seems to draw the kind of people who want to automate all fun out of things.

The best part is that it takes on the order of minutes, 6 minutes in his example, to run and requires manual entry for all of the data. Because a tool that takes almost 20 minutes per conversation is totally going to save you energy for building amity.

Neato
Mar 2, 2016

I love poo poo like this.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

This is great. We need to fill a street in Calpheon with lots of hookers.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

This is great. We need to fill a street in Calpheon with lots of hookers.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-05-blizzard-policing-erotic-role-play-in-wow

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

If anyone is crafting and still hasn't started producing steel, do yourself a huge favor and ride down to Keplan and get some coal going.

Here's what the route looks like from Heidel to Keplan, with the star being the quarry that has coal.

Wasting copper/bronze on tier 1 tools is a huge noob trap. Just use dull tools and quest reward tools until you get gathering beginner 10, which doesn't take long at all, and then skip straight to steel.
Steel also seems to be one of the most efficient things to produce for processing skill gain.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxily
Aug 11, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/2yt11V9.jpg