Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i read someplace nintendo has a neural net recognize and delete hitler mii's :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Phoenixan posted:

the ps2 owned yeah

but it also wasn't crammed with social/internet bullshit

and. Not but, and. Having negligible internet utility was mostly a bonus. The only drag was that people still made games AFTER they 'learned' the bad day-one-patch habits from the PS3 and 360.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Wheany posted:

I'm making a new game for pc.

why?

make a new game for iOS and tvOS, make sure it has good controller support, get a Mac version practically for free that you can release via the App Store as well, then port that to Steam for people using legacy operating systems

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Space-Pope posted:

remember that using the hdmi pass-through showed an appreciable drop in image quality

was that only in europe or just more-so in europe because of PAL or something

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

be sure to buy out an entire row of the App Store Featured page, otherwise nobody will appreciate the artistic merits of your Skinner box

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

was that only in europe or just more-so in europe because of PAL or something

does it matter?

the whole thing is predicated on the assumption that people still watch TV

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

eschaton posted:

why?

make a new game for iOS and tvOS, make sure it has good controller support, get a Mac version practically for free that you can release via the App Store as well, then port that to Steam for people using legacy operating systems

unironically this

peep this sweet game: https://afterpad.com/appletv/app?id=708196645

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

eschaton posted:

why?

i'm not making a game but if i was, i sure as hell would not release it in the windows app store

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

uncurable mlady posted:

did ms buy share point from someone else, I'm trying to think if they've ever developed anything decent inhouse

the MicroSoft SoftCard for the Apple ][ was a p deece way to run Z-80 CP/M software on an Apple ][

and Bill Gates himself worked on it

then it prevented Apple from increasing the clock speed for the Apple //e by requiring tighter bus timings than the spec actually offered

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

eschaton posted:

why?

Lmao

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i read someplace nintendo has a neural net recognize and delete hitler mii's :3:

Imagine the feels when you make a mii that looks like yourself, and then it gets deleted

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

no look knock-off wind waker proves that after 10 years someone finally made a halfway decent game for ios u guys

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

anthonypants posted:

for anyone who's installed kb3139929 (a security update for internet explorer), the one that sideloads kb3146449 (puts a get windows 10 banner in new tabs) without telling you, does "dism /online /get-packages | findstr 3146449" return any results, and if so can you run "dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB3146449~whatever"

so what old version of ie are you maintaining

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phoenixan posted:

that is one of the ways halo 5 achieves 60 fps. by dynamically lowering the resolution whenever things get too crazy

I kind of wish more games did that tbh. I'd much rather have the image quality dip than mess up a shot or something due to frame hitching.

it's a pretty moot point though since I mostly play games on PC so I get the best of both worlds.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pleasurekevin is bad and it's funny

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cmykjester posted:

I kind of wish more games did that tbh. I'd much rather have the image quality dip than mess up a shot or something due to frame hitching.

it's a pretty moot point though since I mostly play games on PC so I get the best of both worlds.

RAGE did that and everyone bitched about it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

computer parts posted:

RAGE did that and everyone bitched about it

That game sure was an epic fail.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
rage had horrendous texture pop even on fast machines and ssds. a lot of it was bad optimization cause the engine was designed for the 360 era. wolfenstein used the same engine but had a much better handle on the texture pop.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Blue Train posted:

the last console I purchased was a ps2 and I feel like that is pretty much the perfect place to have stopped

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i remember a story about some lego branded minecraft-alike where they desperately tried to implement an algorithmic solution for detecting dick sculptures but ended up having to just pay a moderation team because it turns out human ingenuity is at its most brilliant and irrepressible when it comes to drawing dicks

Linguica fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 11, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

dp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Linguica posted:

i remember a story about some lego branded minecraft-alike where they desperately tried to implement an algorithmic solution for detecting dick sculptures but ended up having to just pay a moderation team because it turns out human ingenuity is at its most brilliant and irrepressible when it comes to drawing dicks

http://gawker.com/worlds-oldest-dick-graffiti-found-on-grecian-island-1600811986

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

One, believed to have been carved in the mid-sixth century BC, proclaimed: "Nikasitimos was here mounting Timiona (Νικασίτιμος οἶφε Τιμίονα).

"We know that in ancient Greece sexual desire between men was not a taboo," added Dr Vlachopoulos, who returned to the far-flung island last week to resume work with a team of topographers, photographers, conservationists and students from the University of Ioannina where he teaches. "But this graffiti … is not just among the earliest ever discovered. By using the verb in the past continuous [tense], it clearly says that these two men were making love over a long period of time, emphasising the sexual act in a way that is highly unusual in erotic artwork.

*ring* hey niko, want to go gently caress on an island

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cmykjester posted:

tonnes of games do it now, but mostly just on Xbox One. the same games will run on PS4 with locked 1080p in many cases. lol.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Shaggar posted:

rage had horrendous texture pop even on fast machines and ssds. a lot of it was bad optimization cause the engine was designed for the 360 era. wolfenstein used the same engine but had a much better handle on the texture pop.
the texture pop was so bad that you could spin around and around and see the textures degrade and come back constantly.

didn't help that the game at the time made a big deal about MEGA TEXTURES

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

the earliest instance of variable resolution in a game that i can remember was that Chronicles of Riddick game in 2004

considering the engine was written by ex-scene programmers I wouldn't be surprised if it was the first one, period

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Linguica posted:

the earliest instance of variable resolution in a game that i can remember was that Chronicles of Riddick game in 2004

considering the engine was written by ex-scene programmers I wouldn't be surprised if it was the first one, period

That game was awesome when it came out.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
http://www.zdnet.com/article/ballmer-i-may-have-called-linux-a-cancer-but-now-i-love-it/

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

opening this page on my monitor cut off the picture of ballmer in such a way that it looked like he was doing a jig

was intensely disappointed it wasn't the case

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wfh on Monday to wait for laptop delivery, win

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm super glad all of my gaming has always been PC ever and I've never owned a console. What a loving you console people get. lol

much like with computers its only people using microsoft products getting hosed, everyone else uses something that works

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

lol http://www.infoworld.com/article/3042397/microsoft-windows/admins-beware-domain-attached-pcs-are-sprouting-get-windows-10-ads.html

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

univbee posted:

opening this page on my monitor cut off the picture of ballmer in such a way that it looked like he was doing a jig

was intensely disappointed it wasn't the case

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bless

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I fixed the computer does anyone wanna guess how

Cocoa Crispies