Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

So the weirdo vampires fed off "totemic energy" which i guess means any animal powered person but spiders were the most delicious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Should've gone for Tomazooma and Whistle Pig. :doh:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

So the weirdo vampires fed off "totemic energy" which i guess means any animal powered person but spiders were the most delicious?

Yeah they feed off all animal themed people, Morlun tried to eat Black Panther once, but they had a prophecy that in a thousand years the spider-people would kill off the vampires. So they took the initiative by having a spider-feast. This motivation only gets mentioned a couple times, and I know a lot of people missed it and wondered "why are these guys trying to starve themselves by stopping their food source from reproducing?"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hiddenriverninja posted:

Well, originally they had to feed upon all different kinds of totems to live, back in the JMS run - it's just Morlun was running low on Spider-juice, so he went after Peter. He actually went after Black Panther at one point, I think.

Of course, Dan Slott then decided they were all about killing Spider-Men, so they had the Master Weaver in their basement (which is of course on Earth-001, because they're super special awesome you guys!) and there's a big prophecy (because of course there is) that the Spider-Men are going to defeat them. So they decide to wipe them out (despite the fact they need to eat them to live - what happens when they're all gone?). And so their getting locked up on that nuked Earth is pretty much a death sentence - because they only have those spiders (RADIOACTIVE Spiders - because it's not like feeding off the significantly-less radioactive Peter Parker made Morlun sick) to eat, they'll starve to death from lack of Panther totem energy, or Falcon totem energy, or any of dozens of other thing they can no longer access. but Spider-Man doesn't kill, so that was the 'merciful' choice. Like when Batman sealed the KGBeast into a sealed room he couldn't escape from.

Honestly everything we knew about Morlun suggested he was a guy that existed in 616 and had counterparts in the multiverse, just like Spidey. I think we saw at least one other Spider-Man defeat & kill Morlun by going all Other on his rear end (in What If? The Other), which rather defeat the point of 616 Peter being 'the only one to defeat Morlun'. Making it some big multiversal thingie just doesn't work. Why are two of the Spider-Trinity both on the same earth? Other than marvel writers once again missing the point of the MU being Earth-616. Someone should tell them about the mediocrity principle some time. And the Spider-Verse apparently officially rotates around Peter Parker, since they're all defined by their relation to him. I men yes, he's the one that people have been reading about for 50+ years, but making him the most important by default rather than, say, him rising to the occasion smacks of bringing the real world into it, the same way that Anakin Skywalker became the Chosen One in the prequel trilogy.

Die Laughing posted:

Spider Verse was a ton of fun. Definitely read it if you can find the collection for a decent price. A lot of the enjoyment comes from the tie ins. Spider Punk's story was written by a goon, and was the stand out next to Spider Gwen and Gerard Way's SP//DR or whatever it was called.

I'd say pretty much all of the enjoyment comes from the tie-ins, since several ignore or minimalize the overarching plot and instead focus on character interaction between the Spiders-Men. Which is what most people were hoping to see, anyway.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Alright, so the message is read it for the tie-ins. Thanks very much.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I have tried really hard to enjoy Spider-Gwen but it's just a big old dud for me. Gwen Stacy with Spider powers as the drummer in an all female rock band is an implied promise both of Gwen Stacy in a rock band and of a rebellious feel. An all female rock band is tantamount to saying this is about women breaking into the boys club and making their marks on a male dominated field but not only was Gwen out of the band by the time the story starts but all this world building that's made her feel like a secondary character in her own book has established that being a super hero is dominated by women. The cops saluted a female Captain America who wouldn't pass the brown paper bag test, so you might as well have an editors note that says "We will not be dealing with any of those touchy issues - Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Editor"

It's an okay book but not what I was looking forward to reading.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I stopped reading it because it spent too much time being "And here's how this person is different in this universe!" instead of telling a good story about Gwen. Too much crappy world building at the expense of the actual title character.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, been catching up on Spidey 2099.

Peter David is the unsung hero of the Spider-books.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I am ordinarily somewhat more lukewarm on the topic of Dan Slott than some. I consider him a decent plotter with some good comedy chops, and many of his ideas are used more productively or effectively by other writers.

That said, "I'ma survive reentry, wheeeee~" is one of the most monkey-gently caress ridiculous goddamn things I have ever seen in a Spider-Man comic. It reminds me of video games where people will jump off tall ledges and eat fall damage to avoid the three seconds it would take to go down a staircase.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wanderer posted:

I am ordinarily somewhat more lukewarm on the topic of Dan Slott than some. I consider him a decent plotter with some good comedy chops, and many of his ideas are used more productively or effectively by other writers.

That said, "I'ma survive reentry, wheeeee~" is one of the most monkey-gently caress ridiculous goddamn things I have ever seen in a Spider-Man comic. It reminds me of video games where people will jump off tall ledges and eat fall damage to avoid the three seconds it would take to go down a staircase.
Um, what?

Like, I knew he was going to space in this issue, but could you provide a little more context, please?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

NICK FURY: You done hosed up, Parker.
SPIDER-MAN: A) totally not Parker
NICK FURY: Sure.
SPIDER-MAN: B) I have a plan. I came up with it at exactly the right time, astrologically, for Zodiac to not see this coming: I'm gonna whip a rocketship out of my blue-clad rear end and hack into their satellites in person.
NICK FURY: wait what
SPIDER-MAN: We doin' this.

[music: David Bowie, "Space Oddity"]

SPIDER-MAN: Okay, it turns out they're right smack in the middle of Paris.
NICK FURY: Got it.
ZODIAC: Okay, you know what, gently caress you
ROCKETSHIP: [explodes]
NICK FURY: This could be a problem, Parker.
SPIDER-MAN: Not Parker! Also, why don't you go space-walk to the ISS, as it's right over there.
NICK FURY: That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works. Where are you--
SPIDER-MAN: EXTREME!

[SPIDER-MAN stage-dives off a satellite.]

NICK FURY: Well, he's dead.
SPIDER-MAN: ...I really should have thought this through

[SPIDER-MAN nearly DIES.]

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Um, what?

Like, I knew he was going to space in this issue, but could you provide a little more context, please?

To stop Scorpio's evil plot, Spidey and Nick Fury go to space to hack a satellite and find out where he's hiding. Scorpio responds by trying to crash all the other SHIELD sats into them, which Fury mostly stops by shooting them, but Peter has to destroy the last one by crashing his spaceship into it. Fury spacewalks to the ISS to wait for rescue, while Spider-Man decides to jetpack and web-chute his way back to Paris from low orbit.

EDIT ^^^ What he said.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

X-O posted:

I stopped reading it because it spent too much time being "And here's how this person is different in this universe!" instead of telling a good story about Gwen. Too much crappy world building at the expense of the actual title character.
I see this attitude over and over again in this thread, and I have to say I can't understand it. The only two non-Gwen, non-Spider-Man-centric characters whose divergences have really been explored are Sam Wilson and Frank Castle, and most of Frank's stuff happened in the pre-SW issues. People make it sound like Gwen's getting routinely pushed aside so the writers can devote a whole issue to telling us about alt-universe Speedball, or whatever.

Harry Osborn's association with SHIELD was the catalyst for the dramatic climax of the most recent story arc, so it made sense to include Captain America, I felt. The fact that she also happened to be a pretty interesting take on the character was just gravy. I thought this week's issue in particular was especially well-written, because it led to a really strong emotional resolution for Gwen.

Maybe it'd all flow better for some people as a trade. I dunno.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Latest issue of Amazing was really good. It's an interesting take on Spidey in this post Avengers movie world.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wanderer posted:

NICK FURY: You done hosed up, Parker.
SPIDER-MAN: A) totally not Parker
NICK FURY: Sure.
SPIDER-MAN: B) I have a plan. I came up with it at exactly the right time, astrologically, for Zodiac to not see this coming: I'm gonna whip a rocketship out of my blue-clad rear end and hack into their satellites in person.
NICK FURY: wait what
SPIDER-MAN: We doin' this.

[music: David Bowie, "Space Oddity"]

SPIDER-MAN: Okay, it turns out they're right smack in the middle of Paris.
NICK FURY: Got it.
ZODIAC: Okay, you know what, gently caress you
ROCKETSHIP: [explodes]
NICK FURY: This could be a problem, Parker.
SPIDER-MAN: Not Parker! Also, why don't you go space-walk to the ISS, as it's right over there.
NICK FURY: That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works. Where are you--
SPIDER-MAN: EXTREME!

[SPIDER-MAN stage-dives off a satellite.]

NICK FURY: Well, he's dead.
SPIDER-MAN: ...I really should have thought this through

[SPIDER-MAN nearly DIES.]

Gaz-L posted:

To stop Scorpio's evil plot, Spidey and Nick Fury go to space to hack a satellite and find out where he's hiding. Scorpio responds by trying to crash all the other SHIELD sats into them, which Fury mostly stops by shooting them, but Peter has to destroy the last one by crashing his spaceship into it. Fury spacewalks to the ISS to wait for rescue, while Spider-Man decides to jetpack and web-chute his way back to Paris from low orbit.

EDIT ^^^ What he said.
What the actual gently caress? OK, my dislike for Dan Slott is well established, but I never, ever, imagined he'd do something that ridiculous.

Die Laughing posted:

Latest issue of Amazing was really good. It's an interesting take on Spidey in this post Avengers movie world.
Where does 'surviving re-entry' fit into that?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
relative strength of a spider, relative ability to fall from outer space of a spider

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's not unprecedented.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It was an over the top scene, but clearly born out of the logic of "what kind of over the top scene can we tell." Was it a good scene? Did it work? Maybe, maybe not, but it sells itself entirely on style and brashness and so judging it on a jaundiced summary is obviously not going to do it any favors.

I think this is what Die Laughing means-- or at least how I took it. How do you tell a Spider-Man story on increasingly large scales? What's he like as a Bond-style superspy? What's he like as a bombastic action hero? This latest Slott run has done a nice job balancing the task of putting the grammar of the Spider-Man story somewhere out of its comfort zone without displacing the essentialy Spidey-ness of the character-- his nebbishness, his paradoxical brazenness, the logic of accumulating problems and complications. Was Spider-Man's Space-Drop a little much? Maybe, sort of, but it's flagged as such in the book. It's a sleight of hand, it's a little act of spectacle, and I respect it as a continuation of Slott's variably successful but largely admirable mission to do things with the character that are not typically done. That doesn't excuse it, per se, but there's more going on than Dan Slott wandering around with his finger up his nose misunderstanding how space works.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I am in some sort of bizarro universe because goons hated Slott while I thought he was just an okay writer and now that he's writing some really silly dumb poo poo, people like him and now I think he's a hack. Maybe it's a character trait of my brand new post-SW reboot.

Oh also Spidey 2099 is cool.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 12, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't worry, I still hate him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Archyduke posted:

It was an over the top scene, but clearly born out of the logic of "what kind of over the top scene can we tell." Was it a good scene? Did it work? Maybe, maybe not, but it sells itself entirely on style and brashness and so judging it on a jaundiced summary is obviously not going to do it any favors.

I think this is what Die Laughing means-- or at least how I took it. How do you tell a Spider-Man story on increasingly large scales? What's he like as a Bond-style superspy? What's he like as a bombastic action hero? This latest Slott run has done a nice job balancing the task of putting the grammar of the Spider-Man story somewhere out of its comfort zone without displacing the essentialy Spidey-ness of the character-- his nebbishness, his paradoxical brazenness, the logic of accumulating problems and complications. Was Spider-Man's Space-Drop a little much? Maybe, sort of, but it's flagged as such in the book. It's a sleight of hand, it's a little act of spectacle, and I respect it as a continuation of Slott's variably successful but largely admirable mission to do things with the character that are not typically done. That doesn't excuse it, per se, but there's more going on than Dan Slott wandering around with his finger up his nose misunderstanding how space works.

You're much more articulate than I am. I've read so many drat Spider-Man comics that something as crazy as this Parker Industries stuff is really fresh and exciting. The space dive kind of reminds me of Spidey saving John Jameson in the original Amazing Spider-Man #1.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I hate to be the one to break it but Spider-Man's bold new direction looks a lot like Iron Man's old one. He's even pretending to be his own body guard for Uncle Ben's sake

e: not that I think that necessarily condemns it, I just think it's funny and also I'm bitter this is the fruit of Brand New Day

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That's part of the fun! The silly rear end idea of being your alter ego's bodyguard works better in a book with more comedy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's real obvious that Slott wants to write Batman or Iron Man, though, but his ego won't let him not have the longest Spider-Man run.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Four Score posted:

I hate to be the one to break it but Spider-Man's bold new direction looks a lot like Iron Man's old one. He's even pretending to be his own body guard for Uncle Ben's sake

This is referenced in the book itself.

As for the re-entry scene, he is using a new type of Spider Armor in his also-armored space suit and then using his recently upgraded winning to slow his descent and shield his fall - he barely survives. It's fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Little Mac posted:

As for the re-entry scene, he is using a new type of Spider Armor in his also-armored space suit and then using his recently upgraded winning to slow his descent and shield his fall - he barely survives. It's fine.

Lampshading something doesn't mean you're not still doing it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

It's real obvious that Slott wants to write Batman or Iron Man, though, but his ego won't let him not have the longest Spider-Man run.

The book feels nothing like Batman at all though. Or Iron Man, it's still very much Spidey. Just a Spidey that's doing well for once.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Little Mac posted:

Just because there's a diagetic explanation doesn't suddenly make it okay. Peter is super-smart, but none of his previous armours have been anywhere near as durable as 'survive re-entry from the ISS's altitude'. If it was Iron Man? Dude makes armour in his spare time, I could see him being able to design one on short notice or be able to figure out a way with repulsors or whatever. But with Spidey, that snaps my suspension of disbelief like a rubber band.

X-O posted:

The book feels nothing like Batman at all though. Or Iron Man, it's still very much Spidey. Just a Spidey that's doing well for once.
Well, to each their own. Peter Parker, to me, has always been an everyman-that's what's always been compelling about him, right from the start. He never had a family fortune he could pour into making elaborate gadgets and make crime-fighting more or less his profession. He struggles with juggling his responsibilities as Spider-Man with his day to day life as Peter Parker. Whereas currently he's more-or-less not having any problems as Peter Parker whatsoever. He's living pretty drat comfortably, flying around on private jets (or in space rockets!) and even if he's only making a middle manager's salary he's living way more comfortaly than he has since he was living in Stark Tower. He's not having to think on his feet any more, because now he's one of those guys who does have vast sums of money and private labs to make a bunch of different stuff that a writer can just pull out of his utility belt rather than stretch themselves more creatively. It's all about Parker Industries, same way much of Iron Man's struggles revolve around his company - we don't have interpersonal relationships like we did, unless you count Lien/Lian's sick mother that she never actually discussed with Peter. He's not struggling to make rent, or never finding the time to hang out with his friends and love ones. Now I'm not opposed to trying new things - Peter'd still be in high school otherwise, but this feels like a much too drastic leap. Honestly, my definition of a Spidey that's 'doing well' roughly aligns with the (mid-)JMS era - he's found a much better equilibrium between his life as Peter and his life as Spidey, he gets genuine respect from other superheroes because he's been Spider-Manning for at least a decade and knows his stuff - but at the same time, he still struggles to find time to be with those he loves, still struggles with his finances because marriage still means money gets tight sometimes. At the end of the day, though, he still goes out there and fights the good fight, because with great power...there must also come great responsibility.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash
Slott's M.O. has kind of been loving with the nature of a Spider-Man book (Superior, Big Time). What it's mostly doing is creating weird mini-eras of Spider-Man doing different poo poo. That's kinda cool I guess. Status quo Spidey will probably return at some point but it's definitely worth enjoying the ideas.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I don't so much mind the idea of Peter as a world-traveling, genius inventor with the resources to match, as it's always been something he sort of butted up against. With his experiences and his ties to the superhero community, it was becoming increasingly weird that he wasn't at least capable of self-supporting, well beyond the point where you could write it off as a character flaw.

The one thing that bothers me about the Parker Industries notion is that realistically, it would take a flagrant retcon to return Peter to a hard-luck hero again. Slott made a point of noting that Peter doesn't pay himself squat, in the Steve Jobs/Tim Cook school of CEO compensation, but any given one of his inventions should give him a comfortable income stream from now until the end of time. Sooner or later, some writer's going to try to dismantle this in favor of sticking Peter into a five-foot studio apartment in a bad part of the Bronx, and it's going to require a series of blatant, unmissable contrivances.

Either that, or this is just 616 Peter from now on and future writers are going to have to suck it up, but that doesn't happen too often.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Daredevil and Nightwing have secret identities again, after literally being outed in the global press. If some writer wants schlub photojourno Peter Parker, they'll get it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Maybe his next villain will be an interdimensional version of the Other calling itself "The Parker Luck"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, have they put the Clark Kent is Superman genie back in the bottle yet over at DC?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I believe DC is re-Flashing (:haw:) the universe again with Rebirth.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The general idea seems to be that if a writer really wants to write Peter as a down-on-his-luck, nearly-broke schlub, they can do it in Spidey or as a flashback or something. If they really want to do something that absolutely requires a teenage Spider-Man, they can do it with Miles or maybe somewhere else in the Spider-Verse.

It's not even so much that I object to the general idea of Parker Industries, as I was one of the guys in the period immediately post-"One More Day" who'd talk about the hundred ways in which Peter could have been doing better than he was. (He can bench-press ten tons. Dude could take every manual labor job in Craigslist's New York section and knock them out in a weekend.) It's more that I can see the contrivance train coming down the tracks, and it's going to be painful when and if it ever gets here.

("Well, thanks to the PR backlash from this super-villain attack, Parker Industries's stock tanked and it had to close down."
("Bummer, but Peter should be riding high on patent cash from any of a dozen things he was selling through the company, or from selling off the trademarks to stuff like the 'webware.'"
("He's too ethical to accept the money when it was a team effort. Also, his staff at every location is basically riddled with double agents, secret villains, Norman Osborn stooges, etc."
("Fair enough. He is that crazy. Even then, though, once you're a multinational company's CEO, you're basically never 'poor' in the classic sense again. Even if he did nothing with what money he did make, he should be up to his rear end in job offers from other companies on that level, even if he's just a faceless engineer."
("His superhero schedule would clash with that."
("Telecommuting is a thing, and being an inventor like he was at Horizon Labs means they expect him to be eccentric."
("Nobody's that eccentric."
("Look at somebody like Steve Jobs or Richard Garriott. If they were dressing up in circus strongman suits to punch muggers at night, it'd have been the least weird thing either of them ever did."

(etc.)

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yvonmukluk posted:

Just because there's a diagetic explanation doesn't suddenly make it okay. Peter is super-smart, but none of his previous armours have been anywhere near as durable as 'survive re-entry from the ISS's altitude'. If it was Iron Man? Dude makes armour in his spare time, I could see him being able to design one on short notice or be able to figure out a way with repulsors or whatever. But with Spidey, that snaps my suspension of disbelief like a rubber band.

Prior to opening a science factory, Peter made multiple armors and costumes (see: Big Time and Ends of the Earth) without a team or resources. Here he has both of those things and went into the situation prepared. It's pretty far out there but I mean he sold his marriage to the devil - suspension of disbelief is dead.

I also don't think this era of Spider-Man is straying too far from the original concept. Pete now has greater power and thus greater responsibility, hence why he's fighting international astrology terrorists instead of the Vulture. It's Parker without the Parker Luck - for now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Peter is straying super far from the original core at least according to marvel

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Would you sell your marriage to the devil to save your led a full life elderly aunt?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

hiddenriverninja posted:

Would you sell your marriage to the devil to save your led a full life elderly aunt?

If anything Aunt May should have been pissed at Peter if she ever found out what she did. That'd make a nice story where she goes to hell with a team of heroes to undo it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wanderer posted:

The general idea seems to be that if a writer really wants to write Peter as a down-on-his-luck, nearly-broke schlub, they can do it in Spidey or as a flashback or something. If they really want to do something that absolutely requires a teenage Spider-Man, they can do it with Miles or maybe somewhere else in the Spider-Verse.

It's not even so much that I object to the general idea of Parker Industries, as I was one of the guys in the period immediately post-"One More Day" who'd talk about the hundred ways in which Peter could have been doing better than he was. (He can bench-press ten tons. Dude could take every manual labor job in Craigslist's New York section and knock them out in a weekend.) It's more that I can see the contrivance train coming down the tracks, and it's going to be painful when and if it ever gets here.

("Well, thanks to the PR backlash from this super-villain attack, Parker Industries's stock tanked and it had to close down."
("Bummer, but Peter should be riding high on patent cash from any of a dozen things he was selling through the company, or from selling off the trademarks to stuff like the 'webware.'"
("He's too ethical to accept the money when it was a team effort. Also, his staff at every location is basically riddled with double agents, secret villains, Norman Osborn stooges, etc."
("Fair enough. He is that crazy. Even then, though, once you're a multinational company's CEO, you're basically never 'poor' in the classic sense again. Even if he did nothing with what money he did make, he should be up to his rear end in job offers from other companies on that level, even if he's just a faceless engineer."
("His superhero schedule would clash with that."
("Telecommuting is a thing, and being an inventor like he was at Horizon Labs means they expect him to be eccentric."
("Nobody's that eccentric."
("Look at somebody like Steve Jobs or Richard Garriott. If they were dressing up in circus strongman suits to punch muggers at night, it'd have been the least weird thing either of them ever did."

(etc.)
Oh, they're defintiely going to take him back at one point or another to the 'hard luck hero'. I mean they undid the marriage after twenty years, they'll undo this. OMD pretty much pulled away the curtain from the Illusion of Change for good. Nothing is true! Everything is permitted! If you can finagle a way back to status quo in the end.

Also, Spidey is apparently not selling all that great. I think the confusion over whether or not it's in continuity hurt it pretty badly. I think that for better or worse, the main book is going to be going back to its roots eventually.

Little Mac posted:

Prior to opening a science factory, Peter made multiple armors and costumes (see: Big Time and Ends of the Earth) without a team or resources. Here he has both of those things and went into the situation prepared. It's pretty far out there but I mean he sold his marriage to the devil - suspension of disbelief is dead.

I also don't think this era of Spider-Man is straying too far from the original concept. Pete now has greater power and thus greater responsibility, hence why he's fighting international astrology terrorists instead of the Vulture. It's Parker without the Parker Luck - for now.
I'm sorry, as godawful as OMD is, that doesn't give Marvel carte blanche to get away with crap this ridiculous. Anyone remember that bit in (I think) Astonsihing X-Men where Breakworld launch a psychic atack on everyone on earth to prevent anyone from stopping their giant bullet by making everyone think they *had* stopped it, and Peter's fantasy was what he stopped it by catching it with a bunch of webs (before realising that made no sense and snapping out of it)? That seems honestly about as ridiculous as Peter managing not only to survive re-entry, but having enouh control over his descent to land right in Paris!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Peter is straying super far from the original core at least according to marvel
Not as much as being married though, apparently.

• Locked thread