Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I follow her but I can't help but roll my eyes at stuff like this. I woulda loved Marvel movies when I was like 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yaws posted:

I follow her but I can't help but roll my eyes at stuff like this. I woulda loved Marvel movies when I was like 12.

(i kinda do too, but I just saw it and thought it would be funny. Movies aren't depressing)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Soggy Cereal posted:

I love this. I think this is why I like these movies so much.

Like, I enjoy Marvel movies and DC movies but for different reasons, but I can't quite articulate what those reasons are. It certainly isn't that Marvel movies are more "fun" in the sense that they're less heavy. They're more fun in that they have more jokes and pop culture refs in them.

The issue is that, if you're looking for actual comic-book lightheartedness, you need to look to Man Of Steel.

Lois Lane, dogged and adventurous photojournalist, is the sort of concept that's totally alien to the Marvel Studio films. Concepts like integrity don't fit in a world where everyone is either dangerously misguided or a rube ready to be exploited.

As another contrast, the verisimilitude of the Dark Knight films (which are, of course, much more absurd and humorous than gripey fans tend to recall) allowed them to function as satires. There's none of this dour "it's all fun and games until..." chastisement.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 12, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JediTalentAgent posted:

We saw plenty of indie, newer and lesser-known characters getting comic book movies, but not any of the really popular long-running ones. No Daredevil, no X-Men, no Spidey, no Iron Man, no Hulk, no GL, no Superman, Wonder Woman or Catwoman, etc. All this despite the 90s being filled with several of those having some rumored in-development work being done at the time.

I've been meaning to do some research on the comicbook movies that were developed but never actually went into production, just to get an idea of what could have been.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've been meaning to do some research on the comicbook movies that were developed but never actually went into production, just to get an idea of what could have been.

its worth remembering that a lot of marvels properties had absolutely batshit rights issues because things were sold and bought and relicensed approximately a million times, hence roger corman getting thrown a literal million dollars to make a movie that would never get an official release, just to hang onto the rights

sean howe's The Untold Story of Marvel Comics talks a bit about the movies

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Boob Marley posted:

Took out the freshness column since that triggers people.

Interesting. So when we compare all the recent Marvel and DC movies we see that the MCU is all middle of the road (from good to not so good but never really good or really bad, comparatively) but when we look at every superhero from the last 38 years the MCU is "average to good"

Seems about right.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The MSJ posted:

Does the Super Soldier Serum counts as a drug? Because winners don't use them.

Maybe this is the basis of conflict between Cap and former alcoholic Tony.

It could be considered the equivalent to becoming a cyber-commando. A Mark 0, if you will.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

MonsieurChoc posted:

It could be considered the equivalent to becoming a cyber-commando. A Mark 0, if you will.

A... Metall-Zero? :haw:

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

MacheteZombie posted:

Please remake your chart to include Box Office numbers. An incomplete data set is useless.

Money earned is not a good measure of quality, therefore box office numbers are not on the chart.
Funny though, money is a good measure of popularity, the very aspect upon which I have been accused of judging movies. Can't have it both ways.

greatn posted:

They're really gonna shoot themselves in the foot with this movie that's getting good critical buzz and tracking ~$250-300 million opening weekend.

Yeah, real good critical buzz...

Rumor of the Day: Why Dawn of Justice is making Warner Bros. 'nervous'
Well, apparently, test screenings for the flick aren't going quite as well as the studio hoped, and some insiders are convinced that's going to breed changes in the Warner Bros. superhero slate. Here's Drew McWeeny from HitFix talking about the issue:

"Warner is a little bit worried. This movie is starting to scare them. It's scaring them because they're showing it to people now, people are actually laying eyes on the film now, and the response has not been what I think they wanted. If I were going to lay a bet on how it may happen, Suicide Squad, they1'll go all-in on. They'll push all their chips in on that and I think Suicide Squad's going to be a hit for them. I think Wonder Woman will be finished the way they're working on it right now and they'll release it. I would be surprised if Justice League starts shooting when they say it's going to, and I would be equally surprised if Zack Snyder directed it."

http://www.blastr.com/2016-2-16/rumor-day-why-dawn-justice-making-warner-bros-nervous

REPORT: "BATMAN V SUPERMAN" RESPONSE COULD LEAD TO MAJOR SHIFTS IN DC FILMS PLANS
The internal response to high-profile DC Comics-based feature "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" isn't what Warner Bros. had been hoping for thus far.

According to a video report published Thursday from HitFix film reporter Drew McWeeny. This reaction has led McWeeny to the conclusion that if "Batman v Superman" isn't a major hit, it'll mean dramatic shifts in the DC Films master plan.

"This movie is starting to scare [Warner Bros.]," McWeeny said, citing unnamed sources. "Response has not been exactly what I think they wanted."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/report-batman-v-superman-response-could-lead-to-major-shifts-in-dc-films-plans

Anyways, I had a lot to think about during my 6 hour vacation and I reading back through all the posts I think I've finally gotten the gist of it with these two revelations:

1.) The MCU sucks and is bullshit because its fun and any idiot can enjoy it.
2.) Man of Steel is top level cinema because it just looks so cinematic, you know, like a movie, and it stimulates your intellect by forcing you to think of increasingly convoluted reasons for why you like because Dark Knight is the poo poo, gently caress you Marvel, you don't know about blowing up cities like we do, DC gets it!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I sure trust resources like blastr.com and comicbookresources.com

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Drew McWeeny has an special, inexplicable hatred for the DC movies. Recently he put out loads of propaganda pieces about how DC management is allegedly disappointed in BVS and Justice League would be canceled, and then had to backtrack once the Justice League filming start date was actually moved to be sooner. This indicates great faith in the next 3 DC movies at least, but McWeeny had to reframe it about how BVS GONNA BOMB AND RUIN EVERYTHING. It's a desperate attempt to make his fan-whining come true and vindicate him.

Corek fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 12, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

computer parts posted:

I sure trust resources like blastr.com and comicbookresources.com

CBR is legit, even if it is a total cesspool of idiots.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Movies are good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Corek posted:

Movies are good

Can you source that?

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The issue is that, if you're looking for actual comic-book lightheartedness, you need to look to Man Of Steel.

Lois Lane, dogged and adventurous photojournalist, is the sort of concept that's totally alien to the Marvel Studio films. Concepts like integrity don't fit in a world where everyone is either dangerously misguided or a rube ready to be exploited.

As another contrast, the verisimilitude of the Dark Knight films (which are, of course, much more absurd and humorous than gripey fans tend to recall) allowed them to function as satires. There's none of this dour "it's all fun and games until..." chastisement.

Oh definitely. I enjoyed Man of Steel a lot more than I thought I would just from all the things I'd heard about it. I don't even like Superman that much. I'd have to rewatch it again to pick out the themes I noticed, but there's a lot going on in there.

People talk about all the phalluses in it but I also noticed a lot of yonic/womb imagery. I also enjoyed that the Kryptonian "holograms" are cool metal globule things and not the blue glowy holograms from every other modern sci fi (which are also cool but this was different.)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think BvS having bad buzz is literally last week's news. Now it's getting positive.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

some days you just cant get rid of a bomb

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

There's an entire stable of Cracked.com writers chomping at the bit to tell you that Bane sounds ridiculous and DKR is full of goofy setups at literally every possible opportunity, seemingly without ever having ever considered that Bane and his motion picture pals might be in on the joke

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bane does sound goofy and that's why he's great.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Corek posted:

Movies are good

Could you express this as a spreadsheet?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mON8atk0_t4

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
So now we are debating what the Civil War movie would look like... in color? BatAffleck looks like Adam West Batman?

:psyduck:

It's just like a local comic book shop. :haw: Are we going to get Merry Marvel Marching society/Marvel Zombies tags?

And SuperMechagodzilla is still the best. :allears:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Love this moment.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I don't understand what's been going on at DC since nu52. Are Bruce Timm and Paul Dini the only ones who can write for these characters?

I liked MoS but I can easily see why other people don't, and the only adaptation of DC that everyone seemed to enjoy were the DCAU cartoons.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

It's difficult to overstate how nothing a character Bane is otherwise. You gotta give Hardy props.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Boob Marley posted:

Well, apparently, test screenings for the flick aren't going quite as well as the studio hoped, and some insiders are convinced that's going to breed changes in the Warner Bros. superhero slate. Here's Drew McWeeny from HitFix talking about the issue:

"Warner is a little bit worried. This movie is starting to scare them. It's scaring them because they're showing it to people now, people are actually laying eyes on the film now, and the response has not been what I think they wanted. If I were going to lay a bet on how it may happen, Suicide Squad, they1'll go all-in on. They'll push all their chips in on that and I think Suicide Squad's going to be a hit for them. I think Wonder Woman will be finished the way they're working on it right now and they'll release it. I would be surprised if Justice League starts shooting when they say it's going to, and I would be equally surprised if Zack Snyder directed it."

http://www.blastr.com/2016-2-16/rumor-day-why-dawn-justice-making-warner-bros-nervous

REPORT: "BATMAN V SUPERMAN" RESPONSE COULD LEAD TO MAJOR SHIFTS IN DC FILMS PLANS
The internal response to high-profile DC Comics-based feature "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" isn't what Warner Bros. had been hoping for thus far.

According to a video report published Thursday from HitFix film reporter Drew McWeeny. This reaction has led McWeeny to the conclusion that if "Batman v Superman" isn't a major hit, it'll mean dramatic shifts in the DC Films master plan.

"This movie is starting to scare [Warner Bros.]," McWeeny said, citing unnamed sources. "Response has not been exactly what I think they wanted."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/report-batman-v-superman-response-could-lead-to-major-shifts-in-dc-films-plans

lmao at cherrypicking unfounded rumors, more so from a guy who has a clear bias against the direction WB/DC is taking their cinematic universe.

quote:

Anyways, I had a lot to think about during my 6 hour vacation and I reading back through all the posts I think I've finally gotten the gist of it with these two revelations:

2.) Man of Steel is top level cinema because it just looks so cinematic, you know, like a movie, and it stimulates your intellect by forcing you to think of increasingly convoluted reasons for why you like because Dark Knight is the poo poo, gently caress you Marvel, you don't know about blowing up cities like we do, DC gets it!

Make another chart depicting this difference :jerkbag:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Jenny Angel posted:

There's an entire stable of Cracked.com writers chomping at the bit to tell you that Bane sounds ridiculous and DKR is full of goofy setups at literally every possible opportunity, seemingly without ever having ever considered that Bane and his motion picture pals might be in on the joke

Hell earlier this week in this thread or the BvS one someone was going on about how Nolan made a huge mistake letting Bale use a silly Bat-voice.
It's bizarre.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

Hahahaha well when you get your next vacation maybe you can use it to wash the sand out of all your crevices.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bane is fuckinh cool.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Comic book movies are p cool, except when they're poop.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Boob Marley posted:

Money earned is not a good measure of quality, therefore box office numbers are not on the chart.
Funny though, money is a good measure of popularity, the very aspect upon which I have been accused of judging movies. Can't have it both ways.

le sigh im totally fapping to these hot comic takes homeboy diarrhea liquid poo poo

TetsuoTW posted:

Comic book movies are p cool, except when they're poop.
Comic book movies are cool when they're Darkman but they're never Darkman because Darkman wasn't based on a comic book
The tragic contradiction of all comic book movies

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I had an old comic book movie/media magazine from the late 80s/early 90s I recently threw away just due to quality, but it had a thing at the end about several productions allegedly in development at that time.

They had an interesting piece about a planned Green Hornet movie, for example, that never came to be from maybe about the mid-80s. From what I remember, the planned script involved a camp sci-fi Green Hornet than crimebuster. Essentially Green Hornet vs. Mars Attacks is how it sounded. The one bit about it that did sound very interesting given the period of time was that the planned script was supposed to focus on Green Hornet being a hero struggling to living up to being a hero and having an affair with Kato's girlfriend. It probably would have been Cannon Films grade B-movie, but there's a part of me that's always been intrigued by a superhero film that did a lead who was an unlikeable and broken mess in their secret identity but somehow pulled it together in their costumed one.

One sort of interesting note was that it claimed Batman 2 would not have Penguin as a villain, which isn't what ended up happening at all. However, I think at that time they still might have been talking Robin Williams as the potential Riddler.

Along those lines and the spreadsheet discussion we've been having lately, Batman Returns ended up setting up the multiple villains per film for the remainder of the Batman film series. This sort of got to to at one point of me wondering how each film might have been different had the villain pairings been different.

For example, i could almost see Penguin working with any of the main baddies except for Poison Ivy pretty well and give them all good reasons for working with him. Catwoman I think could have paired well with Two-Face given how much Returns and Forever tried to delve into the dual identities of the main characters. Poison Ivy worked sort of okay with Two-Face/Dent in the animated series, but I don't think it could work well in a movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

That sky looks like it came straight from the Flash Gordon movie

It's way too colorful, but I was still thinking of the scene from Hellraiser 2 when they open the Lament Configuration. I'd watch Avengers vs. Cenobites, that'd be fun!

Boob Marley posted:

Go away.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Cameo posted:

If only any Marvel movie was as willing to embrace camp on a level even approaching Flash Gordon's.

Flash Gordon and Barbarella are two of the best comic book movies ever made so I'd be totally down with this.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

CelticPredator posted:

I did this super quick and I'm sure it has a hosed up histogram or it's over contrasted whatever...but as a quick thing does this make the shot look better? Or at least a little more visually interesting than a boring grey sky over a boring grey location?

Needs Guile fighting in the background, man.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

"Hitler was such a goofy dude, look at those shorts!"

Hardy deserves props for his performance, I'm not sure if I can separate the fallout from both Nolan's Joker and Bane from their respective actors, but something did ressonated with the culture at the time to make them so prevailing.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
People still peddling that McWeeny rumor after it was proven wrong in the most hilarious fashion is incredible to me.

Isn't this the same dude who was swearing up and down that WB had a no jokes edict and that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was for sure absolutely no doubt going to be Batman?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Semper Fudge posted:

People still peddling <rumor> after it was proven wrong ... is incredible to me.

As you spend more time on The Internet, this phenomenon will become familiar to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy
All this talk about McWeeny's stuff being debunked as fake and gay rumors and yet not a single source.

I love knowing that while BvS is in theaters so many of you will be white-knuckling it through every line of cliche, contrived dialogue, and every moment of awkwardly forced tension doing mental gymnastics to convince yourself that it is great.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread